PDA

View Full Version : dollar almost crashes at 6pm today

eric_cartman
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
can anyone explain this? just before 6:00pm, the US dollar index fell almost a full basis point in the blink of an eye. it went back up almost as quickly... but it seems really strange to me.

is this chart right? because i don't think i've ever seen this big a move happen this quickly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=DX-Y.NYB&t=1d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

rpliving
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
fat finger sale

freelance
09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
If you could find a chart that includes the volume, that would give us a big clue. I don't have a membership with stockcharts.com, so I can't manipulate the time frame, and they don't have a daily for non-members. Either someone shorted the dollar big time and then they painted the chart with a small, a few small quick trades at the end, OR someone slid in a quick short and it rebounded to where it should.

SOMETIMES, when you get a quickie dip like that, it's something as simple as someone trading with a typo in their order. I know--FIRSTHAND! LOL!

Rangeley
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
It looks more like the effect of a typo then something real.

forsmant
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Interesting.

runningdiz
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Interesting.

Def looks like a typo (computer glitch) to me i have seen that happen to graphs for stocks.

freelance
09-10-2008, 05:48 PM
You have no idea how STUPID you feel when you are rushing to enter a trade and you make a typo and THE TRADE GOES THROUGH!

Imperial
09-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Plus, as you move more toward nationalization that will happen, I think. But I am not an economic expert.

However, when the economy becomes more and more nationalized, it is less and less by the market. Thus, the market will readjust itself as it can. Of course, the fed will rapidly move to cover the damage, but it is like patching holes on a sinking ship.

eric_cartman
09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
You have no idea how STUPID you feel when you are rushing to enter a trade and you make a typo and THE TRADE GOES THROUGH!

sounds like these typos can be costly.

but i can understand how that happens with stocks, espeically ones with small market caps.

but this is the US dollar index, you have to move so much money for it to make a difference. to actually drive the dollar down by a full basis point, you have to be moving massive amounts of money, and i don't think that could have been a typo.

it just looks really strange to me... maybe yahoo's charts are messed up or something, but who knows.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-10-2008, 05:56 PM
just a glitch

freelance
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
sounds like these typos can be costly.

but i can understand how that happens with stocks, espeically ones with small market caps.

but this is the US dollar index, you have to move so much money for it to make a difference. to actually drive the dollar down by a full basis point, you have to be moving massive amounts of money, and i don't think that could have been a typo.

it just looks really strange to me... maybe yahoo's charts are messed up or something, but who knows.

That's why I'd like to see the corresponding volume.

Rhys
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I trade Forex and first, there's no volume available to the currencies market.

second, it didn't move any more than it usually does. most the time, when you see a big jump it's the result of a central bank buying something, or a hedge fund investing or cashing out... or even import/exporters making a large purchase.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
the dip was real, Neo. Everything else is the illusion