you guys seen this?

http://newsite.michaelrighi.com/2007/09/01/arrested-at-circuit-city/

Hook
09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
No workie!

0zzy
09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
i saw that.

I don't agree with him about walking out on them. It's store policy, they do have the right, it's their private store.

However, the cop does not have the right to ask for papers nor arrest him.

sickmint79
09-03-2007, 07:31 PM
No workie!

it was slashdotted, try again

EvilEngineer
09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
More of our civil liberties going down the drain... personally I think we should be able to strip certain law enforcement officials of their title on the spot. They hide behind protective privilege and exploit it to intimidate and harass the general populous.

cjhowe
09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I like how this guy thinks. An easier tactic is to say, "if you insist on seeing the receipt and the products in the bag, then we can set this up as a return and I will purchase the product elsewhere."

ChrisM
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
The store has the right to inspect bags upon leaving. The officer cannot arrest somebody for refusing to show a driver's license. However, his actual charge will be difficult to defend.

cjhowe
09-03-2007, 10:08 PM
The store has the right to inspect bags upon leaving. The officer cannot arrest somebody for refusing to show a driver's license. However, his actual charge will be difficult to defend.

No they don't. Even if they suspect you of shoplifting they do not have the right to search. They only have the right to detain you while they wait on a police officer.

Kuldebar
09-03-2007, 11:41 PM
No they don't. Even if they suspect you of shoplifting they do not have the right to search. They only have the right to detain you while they wait on a police officer.

OK, I admit, I haven't followed the link yet.

Now, keep in mind, some laws vary state to state on this...

But security checks are totally with in the store's rights. It is their property and there is probably the standard security disclaimer posted at the entrance.

Checking your bags and comparing it to the receipt is common practice. Having worked retail myself for Fred Meyers her in Idaho, I know this from the training I received there.

Of course, customers can vote with their dollars if they find the procedure unacceptable. Preventing shoplifting does help keep prices down and it's all a matter of being polite and tactful.

EDIT: read the linked material.

Parking lot is store property. For Fred Meyers only store security personnel could take any action outside the building as long as it was still on the property. I stand by my earlier statement.

PennCustom4RP
09-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Of course this individuals account is only one side of the story. Being belligerent evokes probable cause, it seems he set up this situation to test his theory.
I know here in Louisiana, the security personnel at the large retail stores, malls etc, are certified by the Sheriffs department, therefor have the authority of the Sheriffs department. Some stores even have a Police substation inside the store.
While I was at college, the dorm security were assoc Sheriff deputies, even though they were students, went through the required training and wore the badge.
I never just get stopped while leaving the store and asked to produce a receipt, or have them check my bags, and I am long haired, bearded and heavily tattooed. The only time I do is when the security code device in a lot of products is not deactivated at the register, usually for my Prilosec, the alarm goes off, I show the greeter my receipt, and off I go...no issue at all.
Being in a store with a bag capable of secreting merchandise is probable cause, even if it is that stores bag, and store has every right to protect their property.If you are a shoplifter, it is still their property. If you are not, and have proof of purchase(receipt), you are on your way, no harm, no foul.