PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Bob Barr to Step Down - Organize it here!

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Lets organize a petition to the LP asking them to make Bob Barr step down as the Presidential candidate.

My main suggestion is that we make it clear that we do not want Wayne Allen Root to step up in his place.

Lets get started!

DeadtoSin
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
At the very least send a message to the Bob Barr campaign. I already have.

-lotus-
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
do we really need this?? clearly the LP has written us off, why do we want to waste more time or energy on them??

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
WHEREAS you have just committed political suicide by alienating nearly the entirety of your base of support...

brandon
I am fully behind this. WHere do i sign?

Is there anything in the LP bylaws that would allow them to revoke their nomination of Barr?

Menthol Patch
Those that do not want to participate do not have to.

However, as a former member of the Libertarian Party I'm very upset with the fact that Bob Barr is the nominee.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
do we really need this?? clearly the LP has written us off, why do we want to waste more time or energy on them??

I think we do. I was interested in possibly joining the LP or at least voting for them. It's an opportunity for a third party to get some real recognition.

First, we need a template of a petition. I'll look around.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Can we get a group of people to work together on writing the petition?

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Can we get a group of people to work together on writing the petition?

I'm in.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Those that do not want to participate do not have to.

However, as a former member of the Libertarian Party I'm very upset with the fact that Bob Barr is the nominee.

i concur, iwill be calling the colorado lp in a few, im disgusted with the lp and barr/root ,they need to remove them now...

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm in.

Awesome.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
In addition to what happened today I think Bob Barr's track record as a drug warrior should be included in the petition.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's a template for signatures for a basic petition: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC060891931033.aspx?CategoryID=CT101439381033

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello Amy,

I'm not an expert at petitions. What do you think would be the best way to do this? I think we need to get a lot of signatures to the LP fast. I think the best way would be some kind of online petition that could also be printed and sent to the LP.

dr. hfn
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey wait a minute, Whats so wrong with Barr/Paul ticket? I know paul said no multiple times, but Bob Barr could reall care and might really be sincere in his efforts to end the political duopoly.

What harm could come from a BARR/PAUL ticket!

Long live the Freedom Movement!!!!!!!!!

brunner
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
If someone will email me when it's ready, I'll blog it on LewRockwell.com.

brunner@lewrockwell.com

I'll try to watch the forums, too, but I don't want to miss it.

This is the best petition site I know of:
http://www.ipetitions.com/

amy31416
In addition to what happened today I think Bob Barr's track record as a drug warrior should be included in the petition.

I think a general statement on his track record would be good. The war on drugs/Iraq/general religious intolerance.

What should we pick out from his behavior today?

1. Failure to keep his commitment to RP.
2. Dividing the base supporters.
3. Arrogance.
4. Campaign manager's statement.
5. . . . .

Menthol Patch
Who else is willing to join us in this petition?

We need more people willing to help out.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
WHEREAS it is no longer relevant whether or not you're deliberately attempting to ruin the party as you have, intentionally or not, just done so...

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Hello Amy,

I'm not an expert at petitions. What do you think would be the best way to do this? I think we need to get a lot of signatures to the LP fast. I think the best way would be some kind of online petition that could also be printed and sent to the LP.

That sounds reasonable to me. Anyone good at making websites? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a page with the statements of the petition along with a spot to sign, perhaps comment.

brunner
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Menthol Patch
I think a general statement on his track record would be good. The war on drugs/Iraq/general religious intolerance.

What should we pick out from his behavior today?

1. Failure to keep his commitment to RP.
2. Dividing the base supporters.
3. Arrogance.
4. Campaign manager's statement.
5. . . . .

I think it's vitally important we include his failure to keep his commitment to Ron Paul. Along with this point we need to include how it was said it was, "not worth the time" or something like that.

Dividing the base of supporters is also a good idea. We could mention how many Libertarians will not support someone who voted for the Patriot Act, the War in Iraq, and was a drug warrior.

There is a lot to potentially include. We need more people to participate in this thread.

amy31416
If someone will email me when it's ready, I'll blog it on LewRockwell.com.

brunner@lewrockwell.com

I'll try to watch the forums, too, but I don't want to miss it.

This is the best petition site I know of:

Great! Thanks. We could also use a respected member of Daily Paul to spread it around.

Since time is of the essence, ipetitions will probably be the best route to go.

We'll also need to:

Digg
YouTube
VOTEmotion
Reddit

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
WHEREAS the Libertarian Party was not specifically created for your aggrandizement...

amy31416
I think it's vitally important we include his failure to keep his commitment to Ron Paul. Along with this point we need to include how it was said it was, "not worth the time" or something like that.

Dividing the base of supporters is also a good idea. We could mention how many Libertarians will not support someone who voted for the Patriot Act, the War in Iraq, and was a drug warrior.

There is a lot to potentially include. We need more people to participate in this thread.

Agreed. What do you think about giving ourselves until tomorrow morning/afternoon to write this up fully and get it going on ipetitions.com?

Menthol Patch
That sounds reasonable to me. Anyone good at making websites? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a page with the statements of the petition along with a spot to sign, perhaps comment.

Yes, I think it would be a great idea if we could get a website for this effort. We also need someone to check out the petition website that was mentioned.

brandon
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
WHEREAS the Libertarian Party was not specifically created for your aggrandizement...

lol, you're good at this.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
WHEREAS handing out authority to people who are insane, such as your field manager appears to be, is not something the members of the Libertarian Party can or will support...

Kludge
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
clearly the LP has written us off

No! Mary Ruwart and the purist faction are still strong. Remember, she only just lost the nomination.

Do not write off the LP because of this. Do so because they are STILL ineffective. Make them work for your vote!

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, I think it would be a great idea if we could get a website for this effort. We also need someone to check out the petition website that was mentioned.

I've been checking it out, I think it will work perfectly well for our purposes. Thanks Brunner.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
WHEREAS you have shown little patience and less support for the tenents and stated goals of the party you are claiming to represent...

amy31416
I created an account, to begin with, here's what we need:

1. Short Title: 32 characters or less.
2. Description of petition in 25 words or less.

Joseph Hart
Have him endorse Baldwin?

amy31416
09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Have him endorse Baldwin?

I like the idea, but don't like forcing someone to say something they don't believe in.

alaric
09-10-2008, 03:02 PM

actually, we do. We, the Ron Paul revolution, outnumber them greatly. The LP got a bump from the NAME. Now they lost it. Don't for 1 second think that WE weren't the force giving the LP a chance until Barr blew it!

brandon
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I created an account, to begin with, here's what we need:

1. Short Title: 32 characters or less.
2. Description of petition in 25 words or less.

Get acptulsa to write it.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
WHEREAS you have lost the faith and confidence of the majority of the traditional Libertarian Party supporters...

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
The following is just an idea for some possible text. I'm not a great writer.

We, the supporters of freedom and liberty hereby petition you to immediately remove Bob Barr as the Libertarian Party nominee for President of the United States. Furthermore, we request that he not be replaced by the current vice presidential nominee Wayne Allen Root, but by another candidate.

This request is not made lightly, but with much seriousness. The actions, track record, and history of Bob Barr has divided libertarians and other liberty leaning individuals across the nation.

(A list of reasons why he should be removed would go here.)

Whereas, he broke his commitment to participate in Ron Paul's press conference.

Whereas, his history as, "the most rabid Drug Warrior in Congress" makes the idea of voting for him repugnant for anyone who values their right to control what they put into their own body.

Where as, his track record of voting for the "Patriot Act" puts fear in those that value their civil liberties and right to privacy.

Where as, his previous support for the "War in Iraq" makes it impossible for peace loving citizens to support his candidacy.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Get acptulsa to write it.

I'm trying! :D

FYI, the short title of 32 char or less will generate the unique URL and can not be changed. The official title is 10 words or less.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
well i will tell you this a petition is a waste of time, remember www.lettertogop.com yeah anyway i wouldn't bother the lp i doomed forget this petition it is a waste of time the lp does not care.........

brunner
Oh man, you want reasons why Barr sucks? That's just the beginning.

From badbarr2008.com:

* Barr espouses an interventionist foreign policy, arguing for intervention in Iran and South America, among other places. He praises Bush because "the surge is working," and expressed regret when crazed neocon John Bolton stepped down as US Ambassador to the UN. More information
* Barr voted for the Patriot Act, and favored reauthorization of that act. More information
* Barr favors a national sales tax. More information
* Barr opposes legalization of hard drugs, and is famous as a drug warrior. More information
* Barr has an unclear position on private property, as he believes that businesses should be coerced into allowing their employees and visitors to bring guns onto company property, company policy notwithstanding. More information
* Barr argues for stronger border protection and advocates for stringent controls on people entering the country. More information
* Barr holds a strong view of intellectual property - far stronger than his view of real property! He regards Google as a major threat to intellectual property, and wishes to use government force to restrain the company.
* Barr finds it entirely acceptable for an 17 year old boy to spend 10 years in prison for having oral sex with his 15 year old girlfriend, and believes releasing him would be unconscionable - even though the law he was convicted under was repealed. More information

The links to "More information" are on badbarr2008.com.

qh4dotcom
It's too late for Barr to step down....the LP can't put anyone else's name on the state ballots for the November elections except Barr

Kludge
09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
well i will tell you this a petition is a waste of time, remember www.lettertogop.com (http://www.lettertogop.com) yeah anyway i wouldn't bother the lp i doomed forget this petition it is a waste of time the lp does not care.........

The LP does care. They do not all support Barr. Ruwart refused to support Barr and warned the LP delegates that he was a huge risk.

Many delegates listened, but a few more did not.

amy31416
Hold on a sec people, let's focus. Here's what I need first:

1. 32 char or less short title that becomes part of the URL. Can't be changed.
2. 10 word or less long title. Can be changed.

Then we can move on to the description (25 words or less). Can be changed I believe.

torchbearer
this petition will have little meaning unless you get the LP's larger donors to sign it.
Money talks...

brunner
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
well i will tell you this a petition is a waste of time, remember www.lettertogop.com yeah anyway i wouldn't bother the lp i doomed forget this petition it is a waste of time the lp does not care.........

It's not a waste. You can't compare the LP to the GOP. The LP is much, much smaller and much, much more dependent on our support.

If there's one place where we the Ron Paul fans can affect real change, it's the LP.

brunner
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
this petition will have little meaning unless you get the LP's larger donors to sign it.
Money talks...

I disagree. We could easily rack up 2,000 signatures in less than a day just by posting it on a few major blogs.

The LP will listen to that. Trust me.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
"Petition to remove Bob Barr."

"This is an effort to petition the Libertarian Party to remove Bob Barr as their nominee for President of the United States."

qh4dotcom
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Money talks...

The larger donors have already maxed out...they can't contribute more than the $2,300 limit

Besides, it's too late for Barr to step down....the LP can't put anyone else's name on the state ballots for the November elections....only Barr can appear on the ballots

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Hold on a sec people, let's focus. Here's what I need first:

1. 32 char or less short title that becomes part of the URL. Can't be changed.
2. 10 word or less long title. Can be changed.

Then we can move on to the description (25 words or less). Can be changed I believe.

Okay, unless there are any objections, the short title is: "StepDownBarr"

The long title is: Step Down Bob Barr/Wayne Allen Root

Anyone?

torchbearer
I disagree. We could easily rack up 2,000 signatures in less than a day just by posting it on a few major blogs.

The LP will listen to that. Trust me.

I'm in the LP structure, i'm apart of the LALP central committee, trust me, if you haven't been a big donor in the past.. you won't matter.
Why? because if you threaten to withdraw your support, it matters not. they haven't lost anything.
If you have been giving them $1000 a year for the past 20 years... you matter... they will be losing an asset.

Menthol Patch
This petition is not about only getting him removed but to stand up for what is right.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Okay, unless there are any objections, the short title is: "StepDownBarr"

The long title is: Step Down Bob Barr/Wayne Allen Root

Anyone?

Sounds fine.

freelance
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey wait a minute, Whats so wrong with Barr/Paul ticket? I know paul said no multiple times, but Bob Barr could reall care and might really be sincere in his efforts to end the political duopoly.

What harm could come from a BARR/PAUL ticket!

Long live the Freedom Movement!!!!!!!!!

Aside from the fact that they disagree on major positions and the fact that Ron Paul will not bend to Barr's position, and the fact that RP is the one with a passionate organization and money behind him, I can't think of a thing.

constituent
09-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm in the LP structure, i'm apart of the LALP central committee, trust me, if you haven't been a big donor in the past.. you won't matter.
Why? because if you threaten to withdraw your support, it matters not. they haven't lost anything.
If you have been giving them $1000 a year for the past 20 years... you matter... they will be losing an asset.

typical political scum.

ideas are for exploitin'

torchbearer
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
The larger donors have already maxed out...they can't contribute any more cash past the $2,300 limit

Besides, it's too late for Barr to step down....the LP can't put anyone else's name on the state ballots for the November elections....only Barr can appear on the ballots

You can subsitute in a lot of states. Meaning, you can change whose name appears after qualifying.
The party has much control over what name appears on their slate of electors.
They can tell their electors today, that they are for Ron Paul... and it is so.
You aren't voting on a presidential candidate, you are voting on a slate of electors who support the candidate you want them to vote for...

Max donors are yearly donors. You forgot to add that to your equation of value to a party.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
"Petition to remove Bob Barr."

"This is an effort to petition the Libertarian Party to remove Bob Barr as their nominee for President of the United States."

Thanks.

It will have to be "PetitionToRemoveBobBarr"

And the second one is too long, 10 words or less.

"Petition the LP to remove Barr as their Presidential nominee?"

or--

"Petition to the LP: Remove Barr as Presidential nominee?"

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
well we got 12,000 for our petition andpaid 300 for a professional press release serious folks do not waste your time on this ,i learned

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks.

It will have to be "PetitionToRemoveBobBarr"

And the second one is too long, 10 words or less.

"Petition the LP to remove Barr as their Presidential nominee?"

Sounds fine to me.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
well we got 12,000 for our petition andpaid 300 for a professional press release serious folks do not waste your time on this ,i learned

This is not a waste of time.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
through a barrstock and you will get coverage,other then that it is a waste of time

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
This is not a waste of time.

We are standing up for what is right.

good luck then ,i have 12,000 sigs that say it is a waste of time
but good luck

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds fine to me.

Okay. Settled.

Now, petition description. 25 words or less.

georgiapeach
There is also a site called www.Petitiononline.com , if the first does not suit your purpose.

torchbearer

sometimes, the education gained is better learned the hard way.
Had you not gone through it... would you know how pointless it is with such certainty?
Should we not allow other to experience the same?
It would be for the best in the long run.

It matters not how many people sign.... its who signs it.
If the LP pisses off their money supply/donors... they will bend...
So, if you want to do something productive, go after the donors...

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
through a barrstock and you will get coverage,other then that it is a waste of time

Maybe so, but they'll know for sure why they lost so much support.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Okay. Settled.

Now, petition description. 25 words or less.

This is an effort to petition the Libertarian Party to remove Bob Barr and Wayne Allen Root as their presidential and vice presidential nominees.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
bump

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
This is an effort to petition the Libertarian Party to remove Bob Barr and Wayne Allen Root as their presidential and vice presidential nominees.

Perfect. Much more succinct than what I'd written.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
i alreadycalled the national lp and colorado lp,they could care less what we think but i will sign your petition;) im just trying to warn you a lil that is all..... i support what your doing,do not get me wrong ...

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Okay, they'd like recipients and a date to send the petition to them, but that is optional.

Edit: I took the email addresses off the LP official site.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
if someone is willing to help pay for 12,000 emails , we could email all the www.lettertogop.com signers to join in,but i just cannot afford to email 12,000 folks

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Bob Barr has lost my vote for President of the Ron Paul Fan Club. I still don't see a better candidate for President of these Unisted States, though.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
i alreadycalled the national lp and colorado lp,they could care less what we think but i will sign your petition;) im just trying to warn you a lil that is all..... i support what your doing,do not get me wrong ...

I understand what you're saying, no doubt. It could be futile, but hey, it also might be worth a shot.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
sometimes, the education gained is better learned the hard way.
Had you not gone through it... would you know how pointless it is with such certainty?
Should we not allow other to experience the same?
It would be for the best in the long run.

It matters not how many people sign.... its who signs it.
If the LP pisses off their money supply/donors... they will bend...
So, if you want to do something productive, go after the donors...

I have a feeling half of the people starting this petition don't even contribute to the LP. Menthol Patch trolls the board 24/7 and it's taken him 7 pages to get to "Petition Description." Personally, I don't have a problem with Bob Barr as the nominee. People here are going ape-shit because he didn't show up at the meeting, but whatever.

I know some people in the LP and was a contributing (albeit small because of my finances) member at one point....the ones saying Bob is trying to hijack the party are high on something. He offered a spot to Mary, he even offered it to Ron. He's been very generous. He didn't hijack the nomination, he was voted there, and when he tried to get a couple of the "true party members :rolleyes: " libertarians on the ticket he was shunned.

The man tried....Mary was too stubborn to take the spot and Ron didn't want it. I suspect Ron didn't because he won't leave the Republican party and Mary wouldn't swallow her pride and put country first. Bob never said he'd wash out her ideals....

Those of you throwing fits are blowing smoke, and the so called "LP bosses" don't speak for me or other members I know in no, smaller, and prominent positions in the party. And, I know for a fact a good number of you supporting the petition and dissing Bob aren't even part of the LP, so stop trying to screw up my party's nomination, stop trying to screw everything around. You want to do something? Register and donate. If the rest of the party cared that much they would have showed up and given Mary the spot. It's only AFTER the fact that the LP throws a fit....again, nothing new for the do nothing party.

It's ironic. The party for individual liberty, following their own party rules, and all of a sudden that's pushed aside to get Barr off the ballot. Bunch of hypocrites which is part of the reason I switched my affiliation. Give me a break.

Read the party platform and tell me they aren't contradicting themselves :rolleyes:

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Is there anyone else that would like to help work on this petition?

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Amy,

Please ignore these Bob Barr supporters who are trying to distract us from working on this petition. I'm not even going to respond to them.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Hello Amy,

I posted the following earlier in the thread.

The following is just an idea for some possible text. I'm not a great writer.

We, the supporters of freedom and liberty hereby petition you to immediately remove Bob Barr as the Libertarian Party nominee for President of the United States. Furthermore, we request that he not be replaced by the current vice presidential nominee Wayne Allen Root, but by another candidate.

This request is not made lightly, but with much seriousness. The actions, track record, and history of Bob Barr has divided libertarians and other liberty leaning individuals across the nation.

(A list of reasons why he should be removed would go here.)

Whereas, he broke his commitment to participate in Ron Paul's press conference.

Whereas, his history as, "the most rabid Drug Warrior in Congress" makes the idea of voting for him repugnant for anyone who values their right to control what they put into their own body.

Where as, his track record of voting for the "Patriot Act" puts fear in those that value their civil liberties and right to privacy.

Where as, his previous support for the "War in Iraq" makes it impossible for peace loving citizens to support his candidacy.

Where as,

Where as,

For these reasons we boldly petition you to remove Bob Barr and Wayne Allen Root as your presidential and vice presidential nominees.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Is there anyone else that would like to help work on this petition?

I'm to the point of the petition text. 1,000 words or less.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I took your text, worked it a bit, now need a list of reasons.

ClayTrainor
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
if someone is willing to help pay for 12,000 emails , we could email all the www.lettertogop.com signers to join in,but i just cannot afford to email 12,000 folks

how much does it cost to email 12,000 people?

torchbearer
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm a http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2841290573_1ff17ce86d_b.jpg voter and I'm telling you this is pointless, but at the same time encourage you to do it with every fiber of your body and every cent of your bank account.
Education isn't free.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I took your text, worked it a bit, now need a list of reasons.

Everyone,

Please post your reasons why you think Bob Barr should be removed.

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
We need your help everyone!

torchbearer
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Everyone,

Please post your reasons why you think Bob Barr should be removed.

he's a dumbass who just fucked up any chance he had of getting ron paul supporters to vote for him.
that should be number one.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I wrote up a reasonable start and can go back and edit if necessary. Here's what they require next:
Use this space to describe the group or individual sponsoring the petition. You can include a link to your web site by entering its address in the form: http://www.ipetitions.com
Up to 250 words. Required

What will we use for this field?

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Whereas, he's a dumbass who just fucked up any chance he had of getting ron paul supporters to vote for him.

Fixed.

torchbearer
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Fixed.

:) thank you.

edit: reptilians can smile... kinda

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
he's a dumbass who just fucked up any chance he had of getting ron paul supporters to vote for him.
that should be number one.

Even though he still signed on to Ron's 4 point program and Ron hasn't denounced him. :rolleyes:

Aside from you, Torchbearer, I'd like to see the naysayers LP membership. I'm willing to bet many of them were never or aren't members.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Even though he still signed on to Ron's 4 point program and Ron hasn't denounced him. :rolleyes:

Aside from you, Torchbearer, I'd like to see the naysayers LP membership. I'm willing to bet many of them were never or aren't members.

Well, you're right on me, but I intended to vote for Barr and was strongly contemplating joining the LP. I actually still am considering it depending on how they respond to this mess.

voytechs
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Wrong forum dude for this topic. Needs to be moved to "Other candidates". We're not the libertarian party to be organizing such an effort from RP grassroots central.

fr33domfightr
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I think many of you are overreacting. Are you a perfect person? Have you not made any mistakes in your life? Of course, we all have. The point I'm trying to make is, don't tear someone down because they didn't act the way YOU wanted. If you think it's so easy, YOU TRY RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT!! Give these folks some slack and let them work out these issues. We need to work together and stay focused on the Liberty movement. If we destroy every candidate we don't like, we'll have no one to vote for!!

FF

SLSteven
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Wrong forum dude for this topic. Needs to be moved to "Other candidates". We're not the libertarian party to be organizing such an effort from RP grassroots central.

Agreed. Let the LP fix that problem if they so desire.

liam
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
All these independants drop out and join behind RP for president with given senior position e.g VP, secretary of state, defence, Attorney general etc.. Together they have a real chance of throwing a spanner in the New World order.
The Dutch media report your Navy is already on the way to the straits of Homuz to secure it following an attack on Iran be Israel. This is a potencially explosive situation and only wanted by a few lunatics. Somehow RP MUST not stop when he is the only possible candidate who can generate money and together they would cause a sensation in your managed media.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Agreed. Let the LP fix that problem if they so desire.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're so concerned about it, Join the LP become a delegate and elect YOUR candidate like the LP should have done in the beginning if they had such a problem with it. You just don't shortcut your way to the front of the LP, especially if you've never contributed a cent.

Read their first party plank...responsibility for your actions. Barr was elected fair and square, and they basically want to "impeach" him and he didn't even do anything yet!

In conclusion, LP can handle it and if you're not in the party stay out of their business.

Mark
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Trying to catch up here -

As far as the wording of the petition - is it to BB or the LP? - I would think that that would define the wording.

e.g. A message to BB to step down, or to the LP to ask BB to step down?

Then, why? Loss of faith, wrong candidate, poor political/common sense??

Maybe start out like you were writing a letter to the target audience, and later make it more "petition like."

It probably needs to be very logical and reasoned in it's wording to be effective.

/brainmist

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
WHEREAS the primary goal and purpose of the Libertarian Party is and has always been not conservatism but liberty,

WHEREAS Robert Barr has, not only refused to participate in the 10 September 2008 press conference of Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas and the Campaign for Liberty but has deliberately sabotaged this event with a false RSVP,

WHEREAS Robert Barr's campaign has simultaneously called for Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas to be it's vice presidential candidate and called him a thief, demonstrating either gross incompetence or a deliberate attempt to undermine the drive for liberty,

WHEREAS refusal to participate in a promising avenue for the enlargement of the party and the advancement of the cause of liberty is not in the best interests of the Libertarian Party, and

WHEREAS the Libertarian Party was not founded and does not exist for the aggrandizement of Robert Barr,

WE THE UNDERSIGNED hereby affirm that we are registered voters in the several United States of America, and do petition Robert Barr to step down from his position as candidate of the Libertarian Party for President of the United States; we do petition the Libertarian Party to renounce its support of Robert Barr's candidacy for the office of President of the United States; or both.

newyearsrevolution08
09-10-2008, 04:42 PM
bob barr is done until he can convince people once again that he is not some secret piece of shit which he proved he really is today...

SLSteven
09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
WHEREAS the primary goal and purpose of the Libertarian Party is and has always been not conservatism but liberty,

WHEREAS Robert Barr has, not only refused to participate in the 10 September 2008 press conference of Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas and the Campaign for Liberty but has deliberately sabotaged this event with a false RSVP,

WHEREAS Robert Barr's campaign has simultaneously called for Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas to be it's vice presidential candidate and called him a thief, demonstrating either gross incompetence or a deliberate attempt to undermine the drive for liberty,

WHEREAS refusal to participate in a promising avenue for the enlargement of the party and the advancement of the cause of liberty is not in the best interests of the Libertarian Party, and

WHEREAS the Libertarian Party was not founded and does not exist for the aggrandizement of Robert Barr,

WE THE UNDERSIGNED hereby affirm that we are registered voters in the several United States of America, and do petition Robert Barr to step down from his position as candidate of the Libertarian Party for President of the United States; we do petition the Libertarian Party to renounce its support of Robert Barr's candidacy for the office of President of the United States; or both.

sounds good...

amy31416
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Trying to catch up here -

As far as the wording of the petition - is it to BB or the LP? - I would think that that would define the wording.

e.g. A message to BB to step down, or to the LP to ask BB to step down?

Then, why? Loss of faith, wrong candidate, poor political/common sense??

Maybe start out like you were writing a letter to the target audience, and later make it more "petition like."

It probably needs to be very logical and reasoned in it's wording to be effective.

/brainmist

The wording on it thus far is to the LP for them to ask BB to step down. I definitely agree that it needs to be logical.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Very good.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Here's how the petition text reads so far:

We, the supporters of freedom and liberty hereby petition you to immediately remove Bob Barr as the Libertarian Party nominee for President of the United States. Furthermore, we request that he not be replaced by the current vice presidential nominee Wayne Allen Root, but by another, less divisive candidate.

Any folks interested in helping tweak the wording/sentiments?

Kludge
09-10-2008, 04:54 PM
aggrandizement = best word ever.

Kludge
09-10-2008, 04:55 PM
I wonder if it would be worth requesting that the signers indicate if they are dues-paying members of the LP.

Micah Dardar
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I came from the left (specifically because they usually address personal freedoms more) to register Republican to vote for Ron Paul. I could not stomach going back to Democrat after, and I couldn't stomach the thought of remaining Republican, so I registered Libertarian since it is a recognized party in Louisiana. However, I have never been happy about Bob Barr being their nominee.

This is the year of Ron Paul. I will happily sign the petition to remove Barr if you make one. I want to see Ron Paul and all of these third party candidates unite to take on the system. The Libertarian Party has the numbers in ballot access, but they don't have the candidate it takes to win.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Okay, next step:

Use this space to describe the group or individual sponsoring the petition. You can include a link to your web site by entering its address in the form: http://www.ipetitions.com
Up to 250 words. Required

What descriptor should we give ourselves? Former supporters of Barr? We're not all Libertarians, or even Republicans. Something as inclusive as possible.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I wonder if it would be worth requesting that the signers indicate if they are dues-paying members of the LP.

I could include that if you guys would like.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay, next step:

What descriptor should we give ourselves? Former supporters of Barr? We're not all Libertarians, or even Republicans. Something as inclusive as possible.

Liberty-minded citizens of the United States of America? Or Freedom-loving instead?

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Liberty-minded citizens of the United States of America?

Good enough for the likes of me!

james1906
09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
"WHEREAS Robert Barr's campaign has simultaneously called for Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas to be it's vice presidential candidate and called him a thief, demonstrating either gross incompetence or a deliberate attempt to undermine the drive for liberty,"

Hate to be a grammar nazi, but it's should be its.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
"WHEREAS Robert Barr's campaign has simultaneously called for Rep. Ronald Paul of Texas to be it's vice presidential candidate and called him a thief, demonstrating either gross incompetence or a deliberate attempt to undermine the drive for liberty,"

Quite right, mein herr. :o

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Thank you. I'll change ASAP.

I appreciate the grammar nazis for this sort of stuff. :)

mitty
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
The Libertarian Party nominated someone who could reach out to non pure libertarians. Good idea. Will that same party now reject the same candidate for not reaching out? Yeah right.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/RemoveBobBar

Here it is folks.

Kludge
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
If the Supreme Court can reverse its decisions, and then do it again only to do it again, surely we can get the collective LP to stand up.

Kludge
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh, and... I win.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh, and... I win.

Win what?

ARealConservative
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
wow, you people are actually retarded.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
wow, you people are actually retarded.

Thank you so much. See you at the Special Olympics.

Hope you weren't planning to win any medals there, as we'll beat you...

dannno
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Wait, Bob Barr called Ron Paul a thief?? That wasn't the MySpace thing from his campaign dude?

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Wait, Bob Barr called Ron Paul a thief?? That wasn't the MySpace thing from his campaign dude?

It doesn't state that Barr called him a thief, but the campaign.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Yes, danno, that was his 'campaign dude'. Care to check the wording again?

alaric
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
The larger donors have already maxed out...they can't contribute more than the $2,300 limit

maybe not, but they could instruct any electors he wins to go to Paul or Baldwin!

SnappleLlama
09-10-2008, 05:38 PM
13 pages! Geez, is this petition still on, or what?

*grabs pen*

amy31416
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
13 pages! Geez, is this petition still on, or what?

*grabs pen*

It's on.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/RemoveBobBar/

Mark
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
It's on.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/RemoveBobBar/

Got editing privileges? I've got a typo in the first one.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
If the Supreme Court can reverse its decisions, and then do it again only to do it again, surely we can get the collective LP to stand up.

So the libertarian party will go and contradict its own platform? Fact of the matter is there ARE libertarians that like Barr and he HASN'T done anything to violate the party's platform. Some of the party is simply having voter's regret now because, once again, they didn't give a rat's ass until after the fact.

All the LP does is complain, even in their own party. Never get anything done which is why I stopped contributing.

Fact of the matter is Barr is pretty well in line with the party platform and hasn't done anything since nomination to contradict it....it's the party that's contradicting the platform by not taking responsibility, which is noted in the first plank of stated platform.

Well, might as well go and notify the LP that non-contributing members are trying to influence the party. Most of you never contributed a dime to the LP before and now you suddenly "care." Get lost. You want to tell others how to live their lives and how to do things but you never lead by example.

Dieseler
09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
So the libertarian party will go and contradict its own platform? Fact of the matter is there ARE libertarians that like Barr and he HASN'T done anything to violate the party's platform. Some of the party is simply having voter's regret now because, once again, they didn't give a rat's ass until after the fact.

All the LP does is complain, even in their own party. Never get anything done which is why I stopped contributing.

Fact of the matter is Barr is pretty well in line with the party platform and hasn't done anything since nomination to contradict it....it's the party that's contradicting the platform by not taking responsibility, which is noted in the first plank of stated platform.

Well, might as well go and notify the LP that non-contributing members are trying to influence the party. Most of you never contributed a dime to the LP before and now you suddenly "care." Get lost. You want to tell others how to live their lives and how to do things but you never lead by example.

Yeah.
I didn't give them no money either.
Fuck Bob Barr.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah.
I didn't give them no money either.
Fuck Bob Barr.

Then stop bitchin' and moanin'. You've never donated to them once to support any liberty candidates, and suddenly your divine opinion matters to them, when you've never ONCE made any contribution to get something changed in this country?

You fail to see the stick in your eye.

Mark
09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Then stop bitchin' and moanin'. You've never donated to them once to support any liberty candidates, and suddenly your divine opinion matters to them, when you've never ONCE made any contribution to get something changed in this country?

You fail to see the stick in your eye.

You just don't get it.

For one:

If Barr can't even follow through with his word to attend a simple press conference, why should we believe any other thing he says,
especially about how he would govern?

kombayn
09-11-2008, 04:16 AM
I will be more than happy to sign a petition for Bob Barr to step-down. Him and Root need to just re-join the GOP.

rockandrollsouls
09-11-2008, 11:18 AM
You just don't get it.

For one:

If Barr can't even follow through with his word to attend a simple press conference, why should we believe any other thing he says,
especially about how he would govern?

How do you know he lied or purposely didn't follow through. The candidates don't speak face to face one on one the campaigns manage that stuff, and it wouldn't be the first time Benton and those morons managed to screw something up. So, please, show me evidence this entirely weighs on Barr's shoulders, because it's clear to me you don't understand how this things are set up.

And, again, do you contribute to the LP? Are you a member? Because as far as I'm concerned you people preach and don't donate to the cause of liberty. Have you given to any other candidate aside from Ron? Please, do tell, because I don't think the LP gives a rat's ass about your opinion if you haven't done squat for them, buddy.

heavenlyboy34
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't think internet petitions are as helpful as real ones (yet), so I don't see this going anywhere. But I've looked into what all of you have been saying about Barr, and I no longer support him or WAR.

Thanks for your help! :D xoxoxoxo
In Liberty,
Matvei.