PDA

View Full Version : I'm Constantly Amazed...

rp4prez
09-03-2007, 05:36 PM
I just got done writing several long posts on a message forum I visit and I'm constantly amazed at how little the "average" American really knows about their own country and the candidates running for president! Most of the people I talk too do not even realize how bankrupt our country really is and if you bring it up they call you crazy or a nut. Even when you supply with with several references to stories that have references themselves they don't go and read it they just continue to argue what they have "heard." It's so damn frustrating to have a discussion with ignorant people and people who just refuse to listen to anothers point of view.

I've talked about the Federal Reserve, the petrodollar, dollar hegemony, the fiat money system, the massive spending that our government does and the huge waste it has just to name a few things. However, people seem to have gotten stuck on the issue that Ron Paul is pro-life and they could never vote for someone who is pro-life no matter what. I just shake my head and tell them that if the dollar is undermined and isn't the currency of the world there isn't going to be a government to even enforce the right for a woman to choose. They again laugh at me and call me crazy or a nut.

I guess some people will never listen and learn.

/end rant

csen
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
There are three groups of people who are going to be very tough to crack: hard-core pro choicers, "I'm a Democrat", and "they hate us for our freedom." I honestly believe everyone else can be educated and won over though.

quickmike
09-03-2007, 05:47 PM
These are your typical americans -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXCs0Wqs9Q

Better get out there and plan on spending at least 10 hrs each to educate them LOL

Thankfully many of them dont bother to vote.

american.swan
09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I just got done writing several long posts on a message forum I visit and I'm constantly amazed at how little the "average" American really knows about their own country and the candidates running for president! Most of the people I talk too do not even realize how bankrupt our country really is and if you bring it up they call you crazy or a nut. Even when you supply with with several references to stories that have references themselves they don't go and read it they just continue to argue what they have "heard." It's so damn frustrating to have a discussion with ignorant people and people who just refuse to listen to anothers point of view.

I've talked about the Federal Reserve, the petrodollar, dollar hegemony, the fiat money system, the massive spending that our government does and the huge waste it has just to name a few things. However, people seem to have gotten stuck on the issue that Ron Paul is pro-life and they could never vote for someone who is pro-life no matter what. I just shake my head and tell them that if the dollar is undermined and isn't the currency of the world there isn't going to be a government to even enforce the right for a woman to choose. They again laugh at me and call me crazy or a nut.

/end rant

Have you tried the stupid approach? aka. Change your username to something that sounds like your just as dumb as they are. Post about 40 post agreeing with the flow then announce that you have found a revelation at such and such reliable source. Quoting large chunks of the sources. Do you think that would get some of them thinking?

rp4prez
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
These are your typical americans -------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtXCs0Wqs9Q

Better get out there and plan on spending at least 10 hrs each to educate them LOL

Thankfully many of them dont bother to vote.
That's an awesome video! I've sent it out to friends and posted it on the other forum I visit! haha :)

Have you tried the stupid approach? aka. Change your username to something that sounds like your just as dumb as they are. Post about 40 post agreeing with the flow then announce that you have found a revelation at such and such reliable source. Quoting large chunks of the sources. Do you think that would get some of them thinking?

I've thought about it. I don't have the time though. I'd rather watch them squirm. haha. ;)

jasonhlasvegas
09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
rp4prez,

When I am trying to change someone else's opinion I resign myself to the fact that most of the people I talk to will not change their opinion. The one's with which I am successful are drawn closer to my opinion through gentle nudging. A reminder here or there over several weeks or months, and eventually they adopt my positions as if they were their own. Patience, I think, is key.

constituent
09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
rp wants you to have the right to choose whether or not you will have the right to choose.

he doesn't want to leave personal medical decisions up to abunch of suits in d.c.

if legalized abortion is what you want, then you could go to your state governments and demand it. right now you can't go to the federal government and demand a goddamn thing.

and as it stands, the supreme court is one justice away from a universal ban on abortion just like Rowe setup universal permission.

that's what the 'pro-choice' lobby needs to understand is that if this issue is so important to them they shouldn't leave it to the whims of john roberts and sammy alito, they should take the power away from people like that once and for all.

and that's what ron paul wants to do.
ron paul is on your side.

stevedasbach
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Focus on the low hanging fruit -- people who just need to learn about Ron Paul to become supporters. There will be plenty of time to change opinions later.

FluffyUnbound
09-03-2007, 06:23 PM

/end rant

You really can't lead with the fiat money stuff.

To most people, it sounds like the crazy survivalist Y2K type guys who have predicted worldwide economic collapse every year for forty years. It never comes.

If you run into someone who doesn't bite at the claim that the fiat money system is bankrupt, or who really isn't all that impressed with the Rockwellian critique of fractional reserve banking, just use another angle. Use the government spending angle, or the civil liberties angle. Most conservatives know deep down that Bush and the Bush wannabes have dishonored the country and the Republican party, and if you press hard enough on one of their traditional conservative buttons you can get a response.

ChristopherJ
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM

Don't worry, once it becomes cool (their perception) to support RP they'll all say they were on board from the beginning.

Jon S
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
yea ur gonna deal with a lot of this. i have plenty of friends who have the "im open-minded, therefore im right and you're wrong" thing goin for em. not much you can do when someone is convinced they know everything but know nothing.

quickmike
09-03-2007, 06:27 PM
rp4prez,

When I am trying to change someone else's opinion I resign myself to the fact that most of the people I talk to will not change their opinion. The one's with which I am successful are drawn closer to my opinion through gentle nudging. A reminder here or there over several weeks or months, and eventually they adopt my positions as if they were their own. Patience, I think, is key.

youre definitely right about that, no question about it. Thats just human nature. People dont like to be told what to think, even though it happens to them every day and they dont even know it. If you plant a seed in their head, just a minor thing, it gets them thinking, assuming they are the thinking type to begin with LOL

rp4prez
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
You really can't lead with the fiat money stuff.

To most people, it sounds like the crazy survivalist Y2K type guys who have predicted worldwide economic collapse every year for forty years. It never comes.

If you run into someone who doesn't bite at the claim that the fiat money system is bankrupt, or who really isn't all that impressed with the Rockwellian critique of fractional reserve banking, just use another angle. Use the government spending angle, or the civil liberties angle. Most conservatives know deep down that Bush and the Bush wannabes have dishonored the country and the Republican party, and if you press hard enough on one of their traditional conservative buttons you can get a response.

I've done that. They still don't listen. It's truly amazing!

I even remembering asking them who owns the Federal Reserve. Not only did I get a cut and pasted text from the fed's own web site they told me that the board of directors owns the fed. *sigh* I stopped arguing my point then. lol :)