PDA

View Full Version : Barr asks Ron Paul to run as his VP

4RP08inKCMO
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
http://campaign.blog.bobbarr2008.com/2008/09/10/bob-barr-shows-leadership-to-unify-liberty-movement/

:confused:

Falseflagop
09-10-2008, 11:51 AM
WOW !! Maybe he should have stepped aside no?

KewlRonduderules
I think it is a little too late for that after missing the conference. That was slap in the face to the movement. Hippocracy at work, people.

SnappleLlama
Did he actually expect Ron Paul to go for this?? Come on!

Jeremy
Before that, Barr was trying to get RP be the LP candidate.

tropicangela
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
What the hell is going on today? No wonder ppl think we're fringe... Barr misses the major announcement and then posts this? Barr better not make us look bad... hopefully the MSM doesn't chew this up.

Bradley in DC
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I think it is a little too late for that after missing the conference. That was slap in the face to the movement. Hippocracy at work, people.

I think you have your timeline backwards. He asked Dr. Paul to be his running mate, with WAR's approval, BEFORE dissing the joint press conference.

For the record, I think not appearing was a mistake. I think Barr took some bad advice.

gls
Perhaps Paul declined because Barr can't even agree to the four key principles listed here.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=484

acptulsa
Screw up, throw your running mate out on his ear to try to regain the respect of your base, see what happens...

Bad day for Barr. Still, I sure would love to see Ron Paul accept this offer...

Johnnybags
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
will not be changed from within, it will implode into oblivion first. Seriously, any party that has Guiliani as a member is a lost cause. Never mind letting the mindless idiot speak at a convention.

SnappleLlama
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Screw up, throw your running mate out on his ear to try to regain the respect of your base, see what happens...

Bad day for Barr. Still, I sure would love to see Ron Paul accept this offer...

Nah....RP has to be top dog...Barr can get the table scraps, if need be. :D

Jeremy
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Perhaps Paul declined because Barr can't even agree to the four key principles listed here.

Actually, Bob Barr did agree to that. Don Rasmussen is just very angry.

wgadget
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
The ONE issue I don't get with Ron Paul is his insistence on sticking with the GOP. If he WERE to have accepted Barr's "final offer," the team may have gotten 15-20% of the votes...

I mean...Look how many "conservatives" are now voting GOP because of McCain's VP pick.

I must say that I am quietly angry at Ron Paul for not accepting.

Kade
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
This whole thing is turning the LP into a mockery. Barr is a plant. The LP is ruined for the next two generations. Nice.

Welcome to the big show boys.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
The ONE issue I don't get with Ron Paul is his insistence on sticking with the GOP. If he WERE to have accepted Barr's "final offer," the team may have gotten 15-20% of the votes...

I mean...Look how many "conservatives" are now voting GOP because of McCain's VP pick.

I must say that I am quietly angry at Ron Paul for not accepting.

My opinion is that his refusal has more to do with his respect for his seat in the house, he is responsible for his district and can't betray them by running for Pres on a different ticket.

So, while it would have been amazing for him to run with Barr, I'm not upset with him.

LJHudd
If Barr liked Ron Paul that badly, why didn't he ask RP to be his vice before picking Root to be his vice?

Barr has sour grapes towards RP and stiffed him and ALL RP supporters today... Barr just sunk his campaign. Barr threw his support to the GOP today instead of to the freedom movement.

tropicangela
This whole thing is turning the LP into a mockery. Barr is a plant. The LP is ruined for the next two generations. Nice.

Welcome to the big show boys.

Barr=Turncoat

LJHudd
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
My opinion is that his refusal has more to do with his respect for his seat in the house, he is responsible for his district and can't betray them by running for Pres on a different ticket.

So, while it would have been amazing for him to run with Barr, I'm not upset with him.Agree. RP is much more effective from here on out in the Congress, especially since he will hopefully have some Ron Paul Republican's joining him in Congress shortly.

Omphfullas Zamboni
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi,

With 15 to 20% of the votes, Congressman Paul would have been scorned as a, "spoiler" and blamed for Obama.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

wgadget
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, IMO, we would be a little further ahead with Obama than with McCain.

Kade
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi,

With 15 to 20% of the votes, Congressman Paul would have been scorned as a, "spoiler" and blamed for Obama.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

With 20% of the votes, they will not dare insult a group that size again... they might even have to put him on the ticket alone next time.

It would change the party, probably forever. 20% is not scornable. 20% is a, "I'm sorry".

History teaches us this.

georgiapeach
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
After reading the letter, I got the impression that Barr would be willing to step down and let RP take the lead as LP Presidential candidate but he knows it is too late to get RP on the ballot that way and VP is the only option.
I don't see him as a turncoat, I think he sees this as the only *viable* alternative to a sure win for McBama.

voytechs
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Emotions are running, high. I think everyone needs to calm down and 1st) confirm the Barr-diss reports and 2nd) confirm RP's reaction if there has even been one yet today to Barr's letter.

These are all very significant developments. Who knows how this is playing out, until we get some more information. As far as we all know this could have all been planned/staged this way to catch significant media attention.

I'm dieing to find out what RP's reaction to the letter has been. RP will be on Wolf blitzer's show today at 4:30pm. I think those questions will be asked, I know they won't be able to resist a possible RP run even as veep.

Lets not flame each other over this until we know more!!!

Kade
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Emotions are running, high. I think everyone needs to calm down and 1st) confirm the Barr-diss reports and 2nd) confirm RP's reaction if there has even been one yet today to Barr's letter.

These are all very significant developments. Who knows how this is playing out, until we get some more information. As far as we all know this could have all been planned/staged this way to catch significant media attention.

I'm dieing to find out what RP's reaction to the letter has been. RP will be on Wolf blitzer's show today at 4:30pm. I think those questions will be asked, I know they won't be able to resist a possible RP run even as veep.

I like your signature.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I think you have your timeline backwards. He asked Dr. Paul to be his running mate, with WAR's approval, BEFORE dissing the joint press conference.

For the record, I think not appearing was a mistake. I think Barr took some bad advice.

This is true and I agree with your assessment. People are low-balling Barr here when he went out of his way to try and get Ron to the forefront of things.

And, to the naysayers, Barr signed off on Ron's 4 point plan.

And, to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed Ron didn't give it a shot. No one knows where time leads...Ron might not be around in 2012...I would have liked to see him take a shot and I was hoping from the beginning he would have continued his candidacy had it come to this.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Nah....RP has to be top dog...Barr can get the table scraps, if need be. :D

This dog has been in this fight for a long, long time. I'll settle for such table scraps...

Barr/Paul ftw. I'd like nothing better than to have someone trustworthy in a Barr administration to keep him honest.

voytechs

How do you know he declined or even has answered at all? Links please...

georgiapeach

Agreed! Plus, I don't see anywhere that is has been confirmed Paul declined this offer. Barr did try to get RP to run as LP candidate, and Barr only did it when RP insisted that he still wanted to try to work within the GOP. I think today we have seen that he has recognized the futility of that.

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
How do you know he declined or even has answered at all? Links please...

Barr signed off on Ron's 4 point plan. It was a done deal.

Mini-Me
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
With 20% of the votes, they will not dare insult a group that size again... they might even have to put him on the ticket alone next time.

It would change the party, probably forever. 20% is not scornable. 20% is a, "I'm sorry".

History teaches us this.

Seconded. This kind of massive "spoiler effect" is the only thing that could ever shake either major party out of complacency - or convince the average American that a third party vote is not "wasted." The boat must be rocked for change to ever occur.

(That said, I understand why Paul cannot accept a VP offer from anyone anyway - he has a commitment to his district)

moostraks
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
If Dr.Paul takes the bait he is exposed as a party turncoat by MSM. The temptation for the power to change things from the White House is a difficult thing. He will be much more effective in his current position then having it become a spoiler for Obama. Do not forget the elections have a high probability of being false. Diebold being the ace in the hole for tptb. If he was truly interested in party unity Barr would have made the conference with Dr.Paul today instead of sitting it out. Besides what is with the headline "Bob Barr shows leadership to unify liberty movement"? What an attention whore. He could not give credit to Dr.Paul by acknowledging the 4 part plan and instead pulls this stunt...Nope I think that Barr is a neo-con plant and he is trying to entice Dr.Paul to destroy the liberty movement.

surf
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
the LP already nominated it's VP. they don't/won't break their rules, imo

KewlRonduderules
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
If Dr.Paul takes the bait he is exposed as a party turncoat by MSM. The temptation for the power to change things from the White House is a difficult thing. He will be much more effective in his current position then having it become a spoiler for Obama. Do not forget the elections have a high probability of being false. Diebold being the ace in the hole for tptb. If he was truly interested in party unity Barr would have made the conference with Dr.Paul today instead of sitting it out. Besides what is with the headline "Bob Barr shows leadership to unify liberty movement"? What an attention whore. He could not give credit to Dr.Paul by acknowledging the 4 part plan and instead pulls this stunt...Nope I think that Barr is a neo-con plant and he is trying to entice Dr.Paul to destroy the liberty movement.

Well spoken...

:cool:

VoteForRonPaul
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't pay any attention to Bob Barr. None at all. I've heard the same thing. The same sort of stuff. We gotta move beyond that. I mean there are real problems facing us and the world that we can actually do something about without worrying about Bob Barr :rolleyes:

Glenn Beck: "When Ron Paul was running I had several run-ins with these people called the 9-11 Truthers. They say we blew up the World Trade Center. You?"

Bob Barr:"I don't pay any attention to that. None at all. I've heard the same thing. We heard it when we did some investigations of Waco, the same sort of stuff. We gotta move beyond that. I mean there are real problems facing us and the world that we can actually do something about without worrying about conspira[cies] of times past.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
the LP already nominated it's VP. they don't/won't break their rules, imo

Not just a little G.O.P., you say?

slacker921
09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
sorry if this topic is a dupe.. I checked new posts..

Bob Barr Shows Leadership to Unify Liberty Movement

Asks Paul to Run as his Vice President

Atlanta, GA - Bob Barr, the Libertarian Party nominee for president, has invited GOP Congressman Ron Paul to be his running mate in the upcoming election. In a letter sent to Paul, Barr called Paul one of the "few American patriots" who exist in today's society, and asked him to "seriously consider this final offer as an opportunity to show true, lasting leadership beyond party politics."

Barr cited Paul's 1987 letter to then-GOP Chairman Frank Fahrenkopf, in which Paul stated that, "after years of trying to work through the Republican Party both in and out of government. . . concluded that efforts must be carried on outside the Republican Party."

Though recognizing Paul's personal investment in the Republican Party and his recent attempts to reform the party from inside, Barr said he disagreed with Paul's strategy. "Better options remain that will carry a message of liberty onto the ballot in November and beyond," Barr stated, adding at a news conference called today at the National Press Club, that "change in politics and public policy in America cannot and will not be done from within the current, two-party system."

Barr continued, "'The status quo will not change the status quo' and impact comes entirely from gaining votes in the General Election." That is why Barr said he would remain focused on the Libertarian Party's electoral effort and clear message, and why he invited Paul to join him.

"While you declined my offer to seek the Libertarian presidential nomination many months ago, I ask that you seriously consider this final offer as an opportunity to show true, lasting leadership beyond party politics," Barr stated in his letter to Paul.

Barr's running mate, Wayne Allyn Root, expressed support: "As the Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee, I believe in one thing above all else-principle. There can be no compromise on the ideals of limited government, lower taxes, lower spending, and more freedom for the American people. Those are the principles to which I've dedicated my life. The GOP and Democratic candidates only give lip service-at best-to these ideals and principles. It is only an act at election time every four years."

"I want to end the charade once and for all," Root continued. "I am willing to sacrifice anything to advance the cause of liberty, freedom, smaller government and to enable the American taxpayer to keep more of their own money and property. Understanding Dr. Ron Paul's reputation and name recognition in the freedom movement, I am willing to step aside as Libertarian vice presidential candidate if he would be willing to take my place. I will pledge to work day and night, just as I have as the vice presidential nominee, to support Dr. Paul. I believe this is a wonderful opportunity for the Libertarian and freedom movements. I encourage Dr. Paul to accept Congressman Barr's offer. The campaign is making this offer because we believe there is no sacrifice too large when it comes to improving the lives of the American people and American taxpayers."

Barr's letter to Paul can be found here.

Paul's letter to the GOP can be found here.

Libertarian Party presidential candidate Bob Barr represented the 7th District of Georgia in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003.

To donate by mail:

Barr 2008 Presidential Committee
P.O. Box 725007
Atlanta, GA 31139

To donate by phone:

Call 1-800-Bob-Barr

Paid for by Barr 2008 Presidential Committee.

Federal law requires us to report the name, address, and name of employer and occupation for any individual whose aggregate contributions total over $200 in a calendar year. Corporate contributions and gifts from foreign nationals are prohibited. Personal Credit Card gifts only. Contributions are not tax deductible for income tax purposes. Limit of $2,300 per person per election and $4,600 per couple if signed by both parties and drawn on a jointly held bank account.

slacker921
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
whoa.. people.. this wasn't a hoax.. http://campaign.blog.bobbarr2008.com/2008/09/10/bob-barr-shows-leadership-to-unify-liberty-movement/
and the Barr site is currently down.

This is going to get wild..

Knightskye
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
That would be amazing.

Barr/Paul 2008

Bar pole. :D

Dude, that's awesome. Ron Paul should accept. He's always "kept the door open" or "stuck to his guns" on 99.9% not running for president as a third party, but what about vice president?

And what the hell happened to Wayne Root? I guess he turned out to be a disappointment. Especially since the gamblers apparently didn't "come to the Libertarian Party."

I accept this message!

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
The most important reason why Ron Paul would not be Bob Barr's vice presidential candidate is that....

Bob Barr voted for the Patriot Act.
Bob Barr voted for the War in Iraq.
Bob Barr supported the War on Drugs.

There is no way that Ron Paul would be the VP of someone with that kind of voting record.

itshappening
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
as if Ron Paul would ever agree to this.

sounds like more mischief making to me

slacker921
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd call it a "hail mary" play if there ever was one. If Paul accepts (I don't think he will.. I think he's done for the year) then it's game ON. If he doesn't accept it's the end of any hope Barr had for large scale support from Paul supporters.

... edited to add... but I bet this makes the news..

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 01:36 PM
RP is asked at every single press conference, every single interview, every single opportunity if he will run third party, and the answer has been a resounding NO. In fact, those questions were meant to throw doubt upon his status as a TWENTY PLUS YEAR REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN FROM THE RED STATE OF TEXAS.

Ron Paul is not veep material, he is presidential material, and every single time he is asked it is a slap in the face.

Moreover, if RP switched to the LP he would most likely lose much of his heavily REPUBLICAN base in his district.

IMO one of the reasons he was asked because they knew he would say no.

To add- he has already turned the offer down (shocker)

rockandrollsouls
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't pay any attention to Bob Barr. None at all. I've heard the same thing. The same sort of stuff. We gotta move beyond that. I mean there are real problems facing us and the world that we can actually do something about without worrying about Bob Barr :rolleyes:

Glenn Beck: "When Ron Paul was running I had several run-ins with these people called the 9-11 Truthers. They say we blew up the World Trade Center. You?"

Bob Barr:"I don't pay any attention to that. None at all. I've heard the same thing. We heard it when we did some investigations of Waco, the same sort of stuff. We gotta move beyond that. I mean there are real problems facing us and the world that we can actually do something about without worrying about conspira[cies] of times past.

Because he doesn't support 9/11 truthers like you? :rolleyes:

RonPaulVolunteer
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
This is a trick and confirms my suspicions that Barr is designed to kill this movement. They want Dr Paul out of the Republican party. IMO that's all this is designed to do. Barr is bought and paid for.

kathy88
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Holy shit. What is going on today? I went to work and missed all the shenannigans. This world is going crazy today. I don't know what to believe.

Kludge
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I have no fucking idea what is going on anymore.

I'm going to make dinner.

ClayTrainor
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
This is a trick and confirms my suspicions that Barr is designed to kill this movement. They want Dr Paul out of the Republican party. IMO that's all this is designed to do. Barr is bought and paid for.

Possible...

Paul shoudl flip this around and say he'll run if Barr takes the VP slot :cool:

Matt Collins
09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
will not be changed from within, it will implode into oblivion first. Not true. Several local GOPs are being changed by RP supporters. Orlando and Nevada are two that I know of. In Nashville the other night we had about 13 Ron Paul people show up to our local GOP meeting out of maybe total 30-35 in attendance. The chairman even told one RP supporter that he would help him run for office.

werdd
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Im voting for barr, but Paul will turn this down and rightly so. He should never give up his place in the RP, it is the best vehicle for the liberty movement right now.

Ninja Homer
"Barr cited Paul's 1987 letter to then-GOP Chairman Frank Fahrenkopf, in which Paul stated that, "after years of trying to work through the Republican Party both in and out of government. . . concluded that efforts must be carried on outside the Republican Party.""

The ONLY reason to include something like that publicly is to minimize Ron Paul's efforts of changing the Republican party.

SnappleLlama
Im voting for barr, but Paul will turn this down and rightly so. He should never give up his place in the RP, it is the best vehicle for the liberty movement right now.

Why are you voting for barr? :confused:

Drknows
welcome to bizarro world

Rangeley
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
What an idiot.

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
That jackass CATOman David Wiegel is already reporting that Ron Paul turned it down.

Update:

Weigel continues his report after Barr’s press conference with Barr’s reason for not appearing and reaction from the crowd gathered-

Yesterday Barr sent Paul a letter (which I have a copy of, and I’ll scan in a bit) asking Paul to run as Barr’s vice presidential nominee. Wayne Allyn Root agreed to step aside if Paul wanted the job. Paul turned this down.
and

Update:

Reason’s Dave Weigel at Hit and Run is now reporting this-

Barr pulled out of the conference this morning, but the LP’s Austin Petersen hadn’t been told. He showed up with campaign literature and was kicked out of the hallway by Paul spokesman Jesse Benton. “He was extremely angry,” Petersen said. “I feel like the fall guy.”
http://www.unitedliberty.org/
God I hate that scumbag Weigel. He has been writing hit pieces about Ron Paul in the name of the Libertarian Party since the revolution began. He makes me sick.

RoamZero
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
The most important reason why Ron Paul would not be Bob Barr's vice presidential candidate is that....

Bob Barr voted for the Patriot Act.
Bob Barr voted for the War in Iraq.
Bob Barr supported the War on Drugs.

There is no way that Ron Paul would be the VP of someone with that kind of voting record.

I disagree. Ron Paul won't be his VP only because he's a Republican first. Paul has stated on MANY occasions that he would support McCain if McCain changed his positions. I don't think voting record matters as much to Paul as to so many of us. As long as the person in question is sincere in their ideological shifts it's probably ok in Paul's view.

BarryDonegan
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
if ron paul accepted as bob barr's VP, this would go down as the most brilliant move in the history of american politics.

brunner
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Guys, don't you realize that if Ron Paul had wanted, he could have been the presidential candidate for the Libertarian Party? If he wanted it, he could have been the Constitutionalist candidate as well. If he wanted, he could have been both at the same time. I'm being completely serious.

He chose not to.

With that in mind, why the hell would he suddenly want to accept an offer to be VP?

This is obviously not a real offer, but a scheme to trick uninformed Ron Paul fans into thinking that Barr is an okay guy.

Barr knows very well that Paul would have been the LP candidate for president if he had wanted. If you think this is an act of good faith on Barr's part, you've been had.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
if ron paul accepted as bob barr's VP, this would go down as the most brilliant move in the history of american politics.

Call that bluff!

Call that bluff!

Call that bluff!

Kludge
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Guys, don't you realize that if Ron Paul had wanted, he could have been the presidential candidate for the Libertarian Party? If he wanted it, he could have been the Constitutionalist candidate as well. If he wanted, he could have been both at the same time. I'm being completely serious.

No, he couldn't. He signed pledges saying he would not, less he be excommunicated by the Republicans.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

This was fairly obvious all along. At this point, I'd pretty much call it undeniable.

constituent
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Call that bluff!

callin' it.

Sematary
09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
The question I have is - how do we encourage Dr. Paul to accept? I think that ticket would make a HUGE dent in the machine, perhaps on the magnitude of Ross Perot or better.

blakjak
09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Barr asks Ron Paul to be his running mate
By AARON GOULD SHEININ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Libertarian presidential nominee Bob Barr, the former Georgia congressman, rejected comparisons to Cynthia McKinney on Wednesday and made a bid for Ron Paul’s undivided support.

Paul, who this year sought the GOP presidential nomination, told reporters at a Washington press conference that the two-party system is broken. He urged Americans to vote for one of the third-party candidates running, including McKinney, who is also a former member of Congress from Georgia.
McKinney, the Green Party nominee for president, appeared with Paul at the National Press Club, as did independent candidate Ralph Nader and Constitution Party nominee Chuck Baldwin.

Barr, who served in the U.S. House as a Republican from Cobb County, was scheduled to be there, too, but changed his mind.

“Bob had a press conference right after that one,” said campaign spokesman Andrew Davis. “He didn’t want to dilute his message by being on the same stage as people like Cynthia McKinney, who is completely opposite of what a Libertarian is.”

Green Party spokesman Scott McLarty called Barr’s statement “a disappointment.”

“The Green Party has been in alliance with the Libertarian Party on many issues, including election integrity and ballot access fairness,” McLarty said, adding that Barr “seemed petty and hostile to Cynthia McKinney in particular and the Green Party in general. They all disagree on a number of issues, no doubt about it. But it was the agreement that was important and Bob Barr brushed that aside.”

All four candidates — Barr, McKinney, Baldwin and Nader — apparently signed a statement from Paul pledging their support for limited government, personal liberties, bringing U.S. troops stationed abroad home, and for an investigation into the Federal Reserve.

While Paul ran a distant fourth in the Georgia presidential primary, carrying 2.9 percent of the vote, he has a devoted following and his endorsement has been sought by Barr and by Republican nominee John McCain.

Barr sent Paul a letter Tuesday asking him to be his vice presidential nominee. Barr already has a running mate, Wayne Root of Las Vegas. Root said in the letter he would step aside for Paul.

Paul has not responded to the request, Davis said. Ike Hall, who coordinated Paul’s campaign in Georgia, called Barr’s invitation “terribly interesting,” but added that Paul made clear he has no intention of running as anything other than a Republican this year.

Hall called Barr’s decision to skip the Paul press conference “unfortunate. What Ron Paul is trying to do is, he’s not endorsing any other person. What he’s endorsing is an idea.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/09/10/barr_paul_veep.html

And text of actual letter from Barr to Paul here:
http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/09/10/text-of-bob-barrs-letter-to-ron-paul/

RonPaulFanInGA
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Libertarian presidential nominee Bob Barr, the former Georgia congressman, rejected comparisons to Cynthia McKinney on Wednesday and made a bid for Ron Paul’s undivided support.

Paul, who this year sought the GOP presidential nomination, told reporters at a Washington press conference that the two-party system is broken. He urged Americans to vote for one of the third-party candidates running, including McKinney, who is also a former member of Congress from Georgia.

McKinney, the Green Party nominee for president, appeared with Paul at the National Press Club, as did independent candidate Ralph Nader and Constitution Party nominee Chuck Baldwin.

Barr, who served in the U.S. House as a Republican from Cobb County, was scheduled to be there, too, but changed his mind.

“Bob had a press conference right after that one,” said campaign spokesman Andrew Davis. “He didn’t want to dilute his message by being on the same stage as people like Cynthia McKinney, who is completely opposite of what a Libertarian is.”

My respect for Bob Barr just went up. I wouldn't want to be lumped in with crazy Cynthia either.

RickyJ
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM

My respect for Bob Barr just went up. I wouldn't want to be lumped in with crazy Cynthia either.

Ron Paul had no problem being on stage with her. Bob Barr lied to Paul when he said he would be there, and then asks him to a position that he KNOWS he won't accept. Barr is a plant, that has never been clearer.

specsaregood
09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I posted this elsewhere but I think it applies here:

My impression from Ron Paul's demeanor and responses in CNN interview is this:

He is trying to make sure this Revolution is NOT about him (Ron Paul). He is trying to hand off the baton to ALL the 3rd party and independent candidates and to us.

Bob Barr missed that point. This is evidenced by his offer to give VP to RP. B. Barr thinks it is about RP, not the message.

Bob Barr wasn't there to take the baton from Ron Paul. The other candidates were and hopefully they grabbed the baton with a firm grasp.

literatim
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
So Barr wants Ron Paul on the ticket to boost his own chances and improve his standing with the libertarians. Bob Barr has always been an opportunistic weasel, why did anyone expect him to change?

armstrong
09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
go for it Paul,,,then you would be president of the Senate

armstrong
09-10-2008, 04:36 PM
yea then put the goverments check book online hehe

armstrong
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I just say all 3rd party candidates need to unite and Ron and Jesse and Perot need to get more involved and go for the gold now we cannot wait for 4 more years of the same its now or never....that's my opinion

BenMuldowney
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
"Barr cited Paul's 1987 letter to then-GOP Chairman Frank Fahrenkopf, in which Paul stated that, "after years of trying to work through the Republican Party both in and out of government. . . concluded that efforts must be carried on outside the Republican Party.""

The ONLY reason to include something like that publicly is to minimize Ron Paul's efforts of changing the Republican party.

this was all designed to hurt Ron Paul and the campaign for liberty movement. bob barr knows ron will turn down his fake offer. barr is filth and is taking orders from his old bosses.

if by chance ron accepted i can only imagine what slime bob would pull then. the LP has been seriously damaged today... if they were smart they would withdraw barr and sit this one out just to show an ounce of integrity. how they handle this will determine their future.

if they run with barr they will be a joke for 2 election cycles.

BenMuldowney
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Call that bluff!

Call that bluff!

Call that bluff!

please stop embarrassing yourself.

Micah Dardar
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
How about we elect Barr to be Ron Paul's butler?

BenMuldowney
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM

cynthia mckinney has more guts than 10 bob barrs and more integrity also. i don't like her leftist positions but she is honest and actually cares about the people she represents. bob barr is a filthy opportunistic neocon traitor.

Micah Dardar
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
cynthia mckinney has more guts than 10 bob barrs and more integrity also. i don't like her leftist positions but she is honest and actually cares about the people she represents. bob barr is a filthy opportunistic neocon traitor.

In terms of trust, I trust Cynthia McKinney, Ralph Nader, and Chuck Baldwin. Trust is a hard thing to say about anyone running our lives at the moment.