PDA

View Full Version : Personal Statement on Bob Barr

Don
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
The following reflect my personal feelings and is not endorsed by Dr. Paul or Campaign for Liberty.

I am deeply disappointed by Bob Barr's decision not to participate in today's press conference just as I have been disappointed with the Barr campaign throughout this election cycle.

The idea that he was busy is absurd. I am sitting in the National Press Club right now waiting for his hastily called press conference to begin. This is the same building where Dr. Paul's presser just ended. Barr committed to participate, but had his campaign manager call us minutes before it started to tell us that Bob thinks "it just isn't worth it." I look forward to hearing him explain how breaking a promise to Congressman Paul constitutes a wise campaign strategy.

It is my great hope that the alternative parties will present the American people with quality candidates that offer a real option. Clearly the Libertarian Party has failed to do so. Bob Barr has repeatedly broken his promises to Dr. Paul, showed up uninvited at C4L events, and made statement contrary to Dr. Paul's beliefs while still claiming the mantle of heir to the R3VOLution.

Hopefully, the LP will find a way to reject this candidate without rejecting the idea of engagement in practical politics.

MRoCkEd
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh, so he just decided to break his promise with no reason? damn

Menthol Patch
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Don,

The fact is that just a few years ago Bob Barr was an all out neocon who voted for the Patriot Act, supported the War in Iraq, and supported the war on drugs. The truth about Bob Barr is obvious.

Also, the LP has changed. A couple years ago the platform was gutted. Now it's not much different than the Republican or Democratic Parties.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Are you Don R from the campaign?

Rhys
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
The following reflect my personal feelings and is not endorsed by Dr. Paul or Campaign for Liberty.

I am deeply disappointed by Bob Barr's decision not to participate in today's press conference just as I have been disappointed with the Barr campaign throughout this election cycle.

It is my great hope that the alternative parties will present the American people with quality candidates that offer a real option. Clearly the Libertarian Party has failed to do so. Bob Barr has repeatedly broken his promises to Dr. Paul, showed up uninvited at C4L events, and made statement contrary to Dr. Paul's beliefs while still claiming the mantle of heir to the R3VOLution.

Hopefully, the LP will find a way to reject this candidate without rejecting the idea of engagement in practical politics.

Funny thing you should post this today after not having posted since 2007

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
barr is toast now, i lose trust on no shows

RonPaulVolunteer
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM

If it's who I think it is, there's a good and valid reason why.

MRoCkEd
wrong

gls

edit: beaten

Don
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes, this is Don Rasmussen, Events Coordinator for C4L and I post on this board on a regular basis.

RockEnds
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Don posts frequently.

LibertyEagle

The idea that he was busy is absurd. I am sitting in the National Press Club right now waiting for his hastily called press conference to begin. This is the same building where Dr. Paul's presser just ended. Barr committed to participate, but had his campaign manager call us minutes before it started to tell us that Bob thinks "it just isn't worth it." I look forward to hearing him explain how breaking a promise to Congressman Paul constitutes a wise campaign strategy.

Ok, thanks Don. Barr is out for me. To be fair, I always preferred Baldwin. ;)

Melissa

I think you are wrong he has been posting all year about the Rally for the Republic

Jeremy
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Sources say that Libertarian Party Candidate Bob Barr did not make an appearance at Dr. Paul’s press conference as agreed and is instead having his own press conference, per a flyer being handed out by LP Communications Director Andrew Davis.

As much effort as Dr. Paul put into promoting this press conference, one has to wonder what effect this will have on his relationship with Barr and how Ron’s supporters will respond. If the reaction at Ron Paul Forums is any indication, missing this press conference was a mistake.

We will update on the Bob Barr press conference as more news comes in.

At the Campaign for Liberty Blog you can find copies of Ron’s prepared statement to the press and the policies agreed upon by Ron and his special guests.
http://www.unitedliberty.org/503/breaking-news-barr-backs-out-of-ron-pauls-press-conference/

That's from Terra Eclipse people I believe, who do Barr's stuff as well

MsDoodahs

This member is Don R, I do believe. Don R was with the Paul campaign and I believe was the organizer of the Rally for the Republic.

I think when Josh made us all lizards the other day, something changed so that Don's descriptive (Rally organizer or whatever it was) was lost.

If I am correct about member Don's identity, then he has posted here a lot more than his current stats show.

Just an FYI...and DON - please correct me if I am wrong.

RonPaulVolunteer
Yes, this is Don Rasmussen, Events Coordinator for C4L and I post on this board on a regular basis.

As I suspected. Good to see your views here for all to see. The majority of us will not be voting for Barr it seems. Thanks for being here.

JoshLowry
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM

What are you talking about?

He has posted hundreds of times in 2008.

CasualApathy
09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Rhys is a troll.

Cowlesy
09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Image is everything.

"Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Maybell----douchebagery".

Way to go Bob lol

JK/SEA
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Can we get anyone in the Barr press conference to chant RON PAUL RON PAUL!...

maybe throw in a couple boo's?

just dreamin'...

And to think i was leaning his way...bah!

Ninja Homer
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks Don. I was giving Barr the benefit of the doubt on not showing up until I read this.

Hopefully, the LP can get its act together, reject Barr, and replace him with Ron Paul whether Ron Paul wants it or not. Today's stunt by Barr shows me that he doesn't understand where his own support is really coming from, or if he does, it greatly brings his motives into question.

Rhys
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM

oh... did I get all the egg off my face? lol

ladyjade3
09-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Don here. Pending some kind of really good explanation from Barr...

but it doesn't sound like he'll have one.

PatriotOne
09-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks Don. Bob Barr has always been a snake in the grass IMO. He can fool some of the people, but not all of the people. He isn't worthy of shining RP's shoes much less the support of the movement RP has built.

georgedonnelly
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm an LP member and RP supporter.

There are many of us in the LP very very disappointed and upset about this - and Barr's candidacy in general - as well.

That's all I have for now.

Ninja Homer
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Don here. Pending some kind of really good explanation from Barr...

but it doesn't sound like he'll have one.

Barr could easily redeem himself with a simple statement of, "I step down as the Libertarian Party nominee and offer it to Ron Paul." :D

Rhys
09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Casual, you only think I'm a troll because I spend a lot of time beating back harmful zeitgeists seeds.... i think like the media cause I was one and I think like a brand marketer because I am one.... i try to donate my knowledge of the evil conspiracy's and use their tactics in our favor... because i learned those tactics from them and know they work. And if everyone always agreed with me, I'd be scared because half the time I only take a stand to make sure that messages don't go un-countered.

In fact, if you'll remember the 'swift-boat' incident got out of hand for Kerry because he went a full week with ZERO counter messaging.

TruthisTreason
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Barr is a slap in the rEVOLution's face! My how things would have been different with Ruwart. :cool: No freedom loving hardcore RP supporter could possibly trust Barr. Barr not showing is a good thing, shows his colors.

SnappleLlama
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the input, Don :)

gls
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
http://reason.com/blog/show/128716.html

Barr pulled out of the conference this morning, but the LP’s Austin Petersen hadn’t been told. He showed up with campaign literature and was kicked out of the hallway by Paul spokesman Jesse Benton. “He was extremely angry,” Petersen said. “I feel like the fall guy.”

nullvalu
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
http://reason.com/blog/show/128716.html

what about bob, lol

amy31416
09-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Casual, you only think I'm a troll because I spend a lot of time beating back harmful zeitgeists seeds.... i think like the media cause I was one and I think like a brand marketer because I am one.... i try to donate my knowledge of the evil conspiracy's and use their tactics in our favor... because i learned those tactics from them and know they work. And if everyone always agreed with me, I'd be scared because half the time I only take a stand to make sure that messages don't go un-countered.

In fact, if you'll remember the 'swift-boat' incident got out of hand for Kerry because he went a full week with ZERO counter messaging.

Focusing on whether they call Ron Paul, Mr. Paul, Senor Paul, Dr. Paul or Most Esteemed Ron Paul is not really beating back harmful zeitgeist seeds, it's silly.

CasualApathy
09-10-2008, 10:29 AM

"I only take a stand to make sure that messages don't go un-countered."

That's what trolls do, they counter all the reasonable arguments.

No wait - I take it back, you're no troll.

qh4dotcom
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I am disappointed as well after hearing what Don had to say

Brian Defferding
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
"It just isn't worth it?"

For fuck's sake, Barr. I hope that's not true. If it is, I'm wondering if I should put my vote elsewhere.

Rhys
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Focusing on whether they call Ron Paul, Mr. Paul, Senor Paul, Dr. Paul or Most Esteemed Ron Paul is not really beating back harmful zeitgeist seeds, it's silly.

silly? seriously? Why do you buy Pepsi and Coke and think of all others as 'generic'? Because Pepsi and Coke did all the little 'silly' things right.... I'm not saying it isn't silly that the world moves on things like this, but it makes it no less true that it does. It's a back-of-the-brain thing. You hear "Dr. Paul" and you think... he's smart and nice, even if only in the back of your brain. You hear "Mr. Paul" and you don't think anything at all...

What's silly is, in all honesty, ignoring the details because they're not important enough for your precious time and enlightened mind.

edit: the number one and two selling beers taste like shit.... but they're also two of the biggest advertisers in the world. it's the silly things that count.

Cowlesy
09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.bobbarr2008.com/contact/form/?type=4

The link above is his campaign contact form. In the subject line I simply entered "Press Conference", and in the Inquiry Type I put "Donation question".

Barr Campaign --- Thanks for letting Ron Paul know his press conference "wasn't worth it".

After donating $2,300 to Ron's campaign, $2,300 to Murray Sabrin's Senate run, $1,100 to B.J. Lawson's congressional run, I was mulling over supporting your run.

No thanks,

Good luck, you jerks.

Badger Paul
09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Why would Barr do this? Because he doesn't want his campaign to be seen as another "third party" run for President. He wants to be seen as above third party politics. That's why he won't participate in any kind of joint appearances or debates with such candidates.

Barr and Root seem to believe they can remake the LP into the disgruntled Republicans club (or better yet the Eric Dondero Society), a means to influence the broader GOP. As the pick of Sarah Palin as McCain's VP , they've already succeeded in that regard. But just as there's not enough of those around any more than there are enough regular Libertarians to build a broad based Libertarian Party (the purists and the crazies can go elsewhere thank you very much.) You need both for better or worse. Most regular LPers are deserting Barr and this slap at Ron Paul will only make it worse.

Ever since the Palin pick the air has gone right out of the Barr campaign, as if thought they feel satisifed with Palin and are just gointg through the motions (you get that feeling from Root). But then again it was already losing altitude. Regular libertarians are now refusing to work for Barr, purist libertarians are forming their own party (Boston Tea Party). Barr may have more name recognition than most LP nominees and may very well get over a million votes this fall. But the potential vote that was out there created by Ron Paul was even bigger and this clear insult to Ron Paul and his supporters.

Fine then. Barr may very well find a sympathetic ear at Reason as they cast aspersions on Ron Paul's supporters. But now there's simply no grassroots base for Barr. It's a top-down camapaign that had potential but wasted it because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Ideally the best LP ticket would have been Barr/Kubby because Kubby was a regular libertarian and would created the broad base party that could have done good things this fall. Now what we see is basically a ticket that can only be celebrated by the RLC.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM

The link above is his campaign contact form. In the subject line I simply entered "Press Conference", and in the Inquiry Type I put "Donation question".

Awesome. Done.

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Barr could easily redeem himself with a simple statement of, "I step down as the Libertarian Party nominee and offer it to Ron Paul." :D

it is the only way now, lp needs an emergency meeting to dump barr.. but hell we cannot even get the movements to unite so i doubt the lp will act...

bolidew
09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
"it just isn't worth it." to vote for Bob Barr EVER!

Sandra
09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Has Barr given an explanation to his absence?

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
it is the only way now, lp needs an emergency meeting to dump barr.. but hell we cannot even get the movements to unite so i doubt the lp will act...

Yeah, well, the fun part of this is the 'major' parties may be able to get away with changing their candidate on the ballot, but the LP could not--at least not in this state. Hell, the LP is having trouble with the OK ballot because the petition had to be in before their convention and they did not yet know who it would be. You remember that the 'major' parties had this problem in Texas this year and it turned out to be no problem at all for them...

rajibo
09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

So Barr showed up at the Picnic and Rally in MN without even being asked to be there? I had no idea.

HOLLYWOOD
09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
It's all a publicity stunt... nice move LP speculators, unfortunately, the MSM blacked out the stunt. ALL OF THE msm VIDEO: ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, FOX, CNN, BBC... Zip, Nothing.

Bad move BARR, with the exception of the internet traffic/hits, it will be buried.

TIme to PLAN 2, more media coverage to apoligize and UNITE, but ALL you 3rd party candidates are forgetting who controls the COMMUNICATIONS.

Like I said, a bunch of times before... You want MEDIA COVERAGE buy the 4th branch of Government, PAY UP! They except PAYOLA, or Advertising revenue, your choice of the path to VISIBILITY.

CasualApathy
09-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Don, do you have any news from the Barr press conference?

itshappening
09-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I think Barr was "got at"

definitely a dumb move.

georgiaboy
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM

I think I've seen similar posts here and elsewhere regarding the Ron Paul campaign during primary season.

Anyone else here ever missed a meeting, on purpose or otherwise?

Know of any other campaigns that didn't attend sessions & later wished they had? This ever decided your vote?

Geesh.

DRV45N05
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Don,

Bob's probably feeling a bit jaded that Dr. Paul, who is supposed to be THE libertarian standard bearer in America, isn't giving his exclusive endorsement to THE Libertarian Party candidate in this election, and is instead broadening his umbrella to include a religious reactionary (Baldwin) and two socialists (Nader, McKinney).

If Dr. Paul's real commitment is to advancing libertarianism, he should be backing THE Libertarian Party's Nominee, not looking to push some Third Party movement that includes many who have little in common with libertarianism.

I'm sticking with Libertarian Party, the Party who truly reflects Dr. Paul's principles, whether he chooses to exclusively acknowledge them for such or not. And I'm sticking with the LP's candidate, Bob Barr.

moostraks
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Barr is a slap in the rEVOLution's face! My how things would have been different with Ruwart. :cool: No freedom loving hardcore RP supporter could possibly trust Barr. Barr not showing is a good thing, shows his colors.

qft

nc4rp
09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I called out Barr when he was dissing Paul by discussing the "other 2 candidates" while Paul was still running.

deadserious
09-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I sent Barr an email asking for my campaign donations to be refunded. I don't expect to get any money back obviously, but if we all did this, it would certainly send him a message.

RonPaulFever
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
He just lost my vote.

Kade
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
My personal statement:

As a one time resident of Bob Barr's district (Cobb County), I can say with absolute certainty that Bob Barr is no friend of Libertarians. That in person, he is an asshole. In politics, he is an opportunist.

The Libertarians in Georgia railed the moron into the dirt.

Meet Cheryl Miller:

http://www.cheryldcmemorial.org/images/last_pic_Cheryl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuRsnVny7Y

SLSteven
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
As a one time resident of Bob Barr's district (Cobb County), I can say with absolute certainty that Bob Barr is no friend of Libertarians.

Kade, I think we actually agree on this.

Kade
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Kade, I think we actually agree on this.

Do you think for yourself or do you go by what the conformists and moralists on these boards think?

Do you even know what you disagree on me about?

angelatc
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM

My message let them know that I just signed up to make a monthly donation to Baldwin.

amy31416
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
My message let them know that I just signed up to make a monthly donation to Baldwin.

Nice. I believe the phrase "arrogant twit" was in my message.

Rhys
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
My personal statement:

As a one time resident of Bob Barr's district (Cobb County), I can say with absolute certainty that Bob Barr is no friend of Libertarians. That in person, he is an asshole. In politics, he is an opportunist.

Meet Cheryl Miller:

Cheryl Miller is from New Jersey... her husband Jim Miller, is a member of a group I do the brand management for. She passed away a few years ago and Jim has continued the fight.

Kade
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Cheryl Miller is from New Jersey... her husband Jim Miller, is a member of a group I do the brand management for. She passed away a few years ago and Jim has continued the fight.

I know. That was the last picture of her taken, if I recall. Barr lost 2 to 1 because of the efforts of the LP... let us never forget.

macfly4
09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
just wondering how people feel about mckinney?
she has been right up there for MANY years promoting the same ideas that RP has but with a little more socially liberal bent. why isnt the liberty movement moving towards her?
she doesnt have the flip flopping that Barr does and is also a big 9/11 truther.
she has my vote. at this point it seems stupid to dilute our 3rd party vote

is anyone else voting for her?

DRV45N05
09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
just wondering how people feel about mckinney?
she has been right up there for MANY years promoting the same ideas that RP has but with a little more socially liberal bent. why isnt the liberty movement moving towards her?
she doesnt have the flip flopping that Barr does and is also a big 9/11 truther.
she has my vote. at this point it seems stupid to dilute our 3rd party vote

No, because she is a SOCIALIST!

Have you ever read her economic platform? It's about as socialist as it gets. She shares absolutely nothing in common with Ron Paul on economic issues.

RedLightning
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
The Bob Barr ticket had so much potential. :(

freelance
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Could we have an encore now that Barr's Field Director has spoken. LOL!

RedLightning
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Heres a reply I got from the BB2008 team-

I am sorry that you feel that way, but clearly you have been misinformed. Directly after Ron Paul’s event, Bob had his own press conference and actually asked Ron Paul to be his VP running mate. So I would assume that anything he has done, snubbing Ron Paul certainly wasn’t one of them.

constitutional
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
That Bob Barr's field director is clueless about our movement! The old tactics of hit-and-run won't attract us to Bob Barr. We are not kids who will be swayed by talking on other people's back.

me3
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
They are playing games by inviting Paul to be his running mate now. Their campaign has been a flop, so they are getting desperate to put Paul UNDER Barr, to bolster their profile and donations.

Why would Paul run for Barr, when Barr's campaign is infinitely inferior to Ron Paul's? Why would Paul run for Barr, when he's infinitely superior to Patriot Act Bob on the issues?
Why would Paul run for Barr, when Bob hasn't had the cajones to stand up against the FED?

F Bob Barr. Snake in the grass, political opportunist flip-flopper.

acptulsa
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Heres a reply I got from the BB2008 team-

I am sorry that you feel that way, but clearly you have been misinformed. Directly after Ron Paul’s event, Bob had his own press conference and actually asked Ron Paul to be his VP running mate. So I would assume that anything he has done, snubbing Ron Paul certainly wasn’t one of them.

After how many refusals of the same offer? What exactly has changed to encourage Paul to change his mind? A meaningless offer as he has no reason whatever to doubt that Paul will refuse. A classic red herring.

Hey, Dr. Paul! Call the bastard's bluff and agree! See what that does!!

Mark
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Nice. I believe the phrase "arrogant twit" was in my message.

"It's funny because it's true."

You just crack me up sometimes. :D:D:D If you were single... ;)

voytechs
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks Don for being here and keeping us up to date.

moostraks
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
My personal statement:

Meet Cheryl Miller:

Hey Kade I didn't realize you were from Cobb. How long ago did you leave? We just moved out a couple months ago. Good riddance! I was one of those railroaded out by a slate of delegates that was forced through :( At least I didn't waste the money to be screwed at the national level...

Mark
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
My personal statement:

Meet Cheryl Miller:

What a video and special woman.

What is there to say? I know there are good things in this world, but sometimes the rotten stuff is so hard to put up with without screaming.

I ensure you, the people who support jailing anyone over Marijuana will regret it. It's not a "Righteous Path" type of thing.

constituent
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

kidding right?

don posts pretty often, and he's fun to jack with.

constituent
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
"Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Maybell----douchebagery".

Maybell---douche-stache-baggery.

constituent
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Don,

Bob's probably feeling a bit jaded that Dr. Paul, who is supposed to be THE libertarian standard bearer in America, isn't giving his exclusive endorsement to THE Libertarian Party candidate in this election, and is instead broadening his umbrella...

[first let me apologize to all of our lgbt revolutionaries in advance]

what a ***.

constituent
09-10-2008, 02:34 PM

yea, i nominated her in the vote for speaker invites to the philly rally.

i like her 'cuz she doesn't take any shit....

that and the whole common enemies thing.

plus i feel like voting for a black person will kinda, in some little way, prove once and for all that i'm not a racist.
(j/k)