PDA

View Full Version : Test site for new Precinct Leader network is up

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Try your best to cause bugs and errors so we can get them all worked out by the launch date.

A few randomly selected people will be given various coordinator roles for the test period, too.

http://a2planet.com/cfl/?supersecretpassword=opensesame

A few things will likely be changed around and a few new features added by site launch, but in the meantime, please help us test.

Adam

Melissa
09-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Ok signed up and looking at the tools now thanks Adam is there anything in particular you want tested

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Not in particular; just try to cause errors by typing too little or too much, leaving fields blank or putting special characters/HTML in; set up a couple of other accounts and try to make the blog engine crash somehow...

Also, please use the "help and support" form to leave feedback, rather than this thread here.

Thanks

A

Melissa
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Well I will use them thanks but wanted you to know the email I got that says I am signed up then gives me a link just comes up a red curtain and that is it. I can go to the site and sign up but not through the link that is sent in the email

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
You get the red curtain if the URL doesn't end with

?supersecretpassword=opensesame

Once you put that in the URL, the curtain will go away and you can get into the site. When you log out, the curtain comes back down and you have to put ?supersecretpassword=opensesame on the end of the URL again.

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
(the curtain thing is just temporary while the site is in testing)

Melissa
09-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Ok playing now

Rhys
09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I'll input fake info and see what happens. not my own though.

Mahkato
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
On http://a2planet.com/cfl/signup.php,

If spaces are not allowed in usernames spaces should be automatically converted to underscores.
In the ZIP code field, the ZIP+4 format should be allowed, for those that know their 9-digit ZIP code. If you really want it limited to the basic 5 character ZIP, then put a maxlength="5" on the field.
Some JavaScript checking would be nice, to prevent having to fix basic formatting problems after submitting the form.
Will there be a place for non-U.S. residents to sign up?
The phone number fields really should be a single text field instead of three. You can do some text parsing to strip out all non-numerics and then check to make sure it's ten characters long. Then you can compare the first three digits against a list of actual valid area codes.
If the desired username is taken, you should SUGGEST a username with numbers added to the end, and let the user select a different one instead.

On http://a2planet.com/cfl/login.php

The "forgot password" field CANNOT be a checkbox. The checkbox next to a username/password box is a standard "Remember me"/"Keep me logged in". People WILL check the checkbox constantly. Instead, "Forgot password?" should be a link. Ideally it will pass the contents of the username field also if the user has already typed it in.

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the helpful feedback, Jonathan. I'll definitely make these changes (though I may try something different to make the phone input better).

Yes, there will definitely be a non-U.S. option. That was a major oversight with the Campaign For Liberty signup.

Mahkato
09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
The page title of all pages should not be "Campaign for Liberty". This makes bookmarking annoying, differentiation between multiple browser tabs impossible, and it may be a problem for vision-impaired users using screen readers.

The training materials should be offline right now.

Mahkato
09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
My county's name has a space in it. As a result, the link to my county profile in the Coordinators section on grassroots-home.php is broken, while the link to my county profile on /usa/MN/ works. Just a quick str_replace to strip the spaces out of the links on grassroots-home.

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
My county's name has a space in it. As a result, the link to my county profile in the Coordinators section on grassroots-home.php is broken, while the link to my county profile on /usa/MN/ works. Just a quick str_replace to strip the spaces out of the links on grassroots-home.

Fixed

a2planet2
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
The page title of all pages should not be "Campaign for Liberty". This makes bookmarking annoying, differentiation between multiple browser tabs impossible, and it may be a problem for vision-impaired users using screen readers.

The training materials should be offline right now.

Fixed titling. Why not have training materials up? We have permission from the presenters.

SnappleLlama
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
If you need help making those materials accessible, I can do it. It's a large chunk of my current job as a webmaster.

Jeremy
09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
bump

Mahkato
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Why not have training materials up? We have permission from the presenters.

I would think that they would want them posted only after it was behind the $35 dues, to make it less likely that it would be stolen and posted around the internet.

Fixed titling.

My personal preference is that the "Campaign for Liberty" would come after the individual page title, since that makes it easier to differentiate browser tabs, but I'm not sure how others feel.