PDA

View Full Version : A skill everyone in CFL needs.. and how to get it!

Slist
09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi,

there is one skill all serious politicians have: they are able to answer and undermine everything with a gazillion of facts, dates and anecdotes. That makes them look professional and complete experts in the matter.... and in my eyes that's a fundamental skill we should all have.. at least in the topics we have a strong opinion on. That way we would show our competence on the matter and could show our line of reasoning thus convincing many new people. Wouldn't it be great to be able to quote Mises or talk about the year of the coup against Mosaddeq?

How?
I know, it seems impossible to keep all those facts in mind... but it is not. First of all, we already have an interest in those topics, secondly there is determination.. all that is left is in this article
http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-05/ff_wozniak

I beg you to believe me on this one: although for some it might sound misterious, try it... it works, and I know it because I use it to cram in and read all sorts of things. (Secondly I am not affiliated at all with anyone or anything related to SuperMemo).

If you are somehow running for some position inside the Republican party or are campaigning seriously (which I hope at least 90% here do), this is the key to a truly important skill.

kathy88
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
That was very interesting. Thank you for posting.

Slist
09-13-2008, 09:36 AM
a small but shameless bump for something which is really useful imho

Rhys
09-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh yeah, I'm an expert on this. For instance, in January when heating bills are at their highest, is when we really need to put pressure on Saudi Arabia and OPEC to keep supplies up so our national sovereignty doesn't wein in the winters. I once met a man in middle America. He was a simple man with a couple beutiful children, and a beautiful wife to boot. Actually, they're here's in the audience if you could give them a round of applause? He said, sometimes when politicians are talking, he thinks they're saying something. Now this is the kind of American we need in January!

God Bless America.

rajibo
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't know. When I hear politicians spouting off facts and figures, I usually assume they are pulling them out of their ass.

Don
09-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't know. When I hear politicians spouting off facts and figures, I usually assume they are pulling them out of their ass.

Who was it who said that there are three great deceits...lies, damn lies, and statistics?

Ahh, here it is...“Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the United States by Mark Twain: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” The statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions.

That said, everyone should be reading, studying, and learning every chance they get. I have changed many minds about Iraq just based on my knowledge of Middle East history, demographics, and internal politics.

MarkCrossEA
09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Who was it who said that there are three great deceits...lies, damn lies, and statistics?

Ahh, here it is...“Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the United States by Mark Twain: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” The statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions.

That said, everyone should be reading, studying, and learning every chance they get. I have changed many minds about Iraq just based on my knowledge of Middle East history, demographics, and internal politics.

Hi Don.

I like the phrase.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Here is a song from Stephen Dore about government statistics. It's called Pollyanna Creep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGeWHIHeNB0

newyearsrevolution08
09-13-2008, 11:33 AM

most are, and while they fill the airtime with fluff millions of Americans do not worry about fact checking anything so what is told to them is what they believe UNTIL the talking box in their living room tells them different.