PDA

View Full Version : "ron paul bought me a hamburger and a hot link"

Jojo
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Someone posted his thread today at a (totally non political) forum that I have been visiting to promote Ron Paul:

ron paul bought me a hamburger and a hot link

no shit! yesterday, at the o.u. football season-opening ass-stomping of north texas state, ron paul had a tailgating-style tent, complete with yummy munchies. timing and placement couldn't have been better to make new friends.

interestingly enough, it seemed to be most popular with anti-war republicans. sadly, the main host seemed to not be quite up on all the issues, as his first response was that ron paul was opposed to the fair tax proposal, but then said that ron paul wanted to abolish the sixteenth amendment and the i.r.s. forever. oh well, he was a nice enough fellow, and probably did the cause more good than harm.

he admitted that he was not familiar with the fair tax, and had never heard of neal boortz.

ThePieSwindler
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
The biggest problem with the fair tax is that if companies did not adjust their price hikes due to the income tax (about 22% of what we pay for products is a hidden tax based on companies trying to cover their income tax costs), we'd be paying 23% on top of 22%. Plus, the fair tax doesn't abolish the IRS. However, if prices do adjust, all the fair tax really does it make the taxes more visible, as the additional cost only goes up 1-2% overall. Is this really necessary? Its alot better than what we have now, because it gets rid of the income tax AND if all goes well and everyone adjusts, prices stay the same overall... but why not just abolish the IRS and repeal the 16th and replace it with nothing.. then prices will drop 22% across the board, nothing will have to replace it, and everyone gets to keep more of their money. In short, fair tax is a step in the right direction, but why not just get rid of it all?

Syren123
09-03-2007, 11:45 AM
The biggest problem with the fair tax is that if companies did not adjust their price hikes due to the income tax (about 22% of what we pay for products is a hidden tax based on companies trying to cover their income tax costs), we'd be paying 23% on top of 22%. Plus, the fair tax doesn't abolish the IRS. However, if prices do adjust, all the fair tax really does it make the taxes more visible, as the additional cost only goes up 1-2% overall. Is this really necessary? Its alot better than what we have now, because it gets rid of the income tax AND if all goes well and everyone adjusts, prices stay the same overall... but why not just abolish the IRS and repeal the 16th and replace it with nothing.. then prices will drop 22% across the board, nothing will have to replace it, and everyone gets to keep more of their money. In short, fair tax is a step in the right direction, but why not just get rid of it all?

People have a hard time wrapping their head around that concept.

quickmike
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM

My main problem with the Fair Tax people is the fact that they dont focus at all about cutting spending. Also, a 22% sales tax???????????? WTF? Doesnt sound like much of an improvement to me. Sounds like more of the same old BS with a new paintjob.

james1906
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM
My main problem with the Fair Tax people is the fact that they dont focus at all about cutting spending. Also, a 22% sales tax???????????? WTF? Doesnt sound like much of an improvement to me. Sounds like more of the same old BS with a new paintjob.

Yeah, a 22% sales tax might fly in Western Europe, but it won't fly here.

ThePieSwindler
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree, the principle should be to cut spending and the 16th must be repealed. The fair tax does not adequately address either of those issues However, the 23% sales tax in and of itself is not a big deal beacause it will just replace the 22% hidden tax that companies add on to the prices of their products to compensate for the income tax. It essentially serve to make the taxing of our purchases of goods more transparent. A worthy cause, but hardly condusive to actually limiting the size of government, which is the ultimate goal here.

quickmike
09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree, the principle should be to cut spending and the 16th must be repealed. The fair tax does not adequately address either of those issues However, the 23% sales tax in and of itself is not a big deal beacause it will just replace the 22% hidden tax that companies add on to the prices of their products to compensate for the income tax. It essentially serve to make the taxing of our purchases of goods more transparent. A worthy cause, but hardly condusive to actually limiting the size of government, which is the ultimate goal here.

Hell, if they really wanted transparency they would just post daily federal spending numbers on thie internet for the whole country to see. What could be easier than that? A 500 dollar a month website could handle that and we wouldnt have to get into complicated debates about what items will be expemt from the Fair Tax, which is already complicating the Fair Tax issue already. I think it would just end up being almost as complicated as the IRS code by the time the beaurocrats got done with it.

Just a side note...............

I just got an email saying I could make my "member" 3 inches longer with just one pill a month. YAY:D

Suzu
09-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Hell, if they really wanted transparency they would just post daily federal spending numbers on thie internet for the whole country to see.

Ron Paul has done that. See http://www.sirberus.com/ronpaul/debtclock.swf

Omnis
09-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, a 22% sales tax might fly in Western Europe, but it won't fly here.

So if a 22% sales tax is revenue neutral to what's being taxed now, why does it fly under the radar here in the first place?

I think the FairTax is a good awareness project. I've read it and I certainly agree that it's a better system than taxing incomes. I think the book even acknowledges that the only better option would be no taxes at all. Does Neal Boortz aknowledge this? No, not that I'm aware of. He will always be focused on FairTax before no tax because he wants to sell copies of his book.

ButchHowdy
09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
The 'fairtax' does not curb government spending.

Funny Ron hasn't heard of Neal Boortz

"They that despise Ron Paul shall be lightly esteemed."

Duckman
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
So if a 22% sales tax is revenue neutral to what's being taxed now, why does it fly under the radar here in the first place?

Because of two reasons:

1) Many are concerned that it sets a bad precedent to start levying a federal sales tax unless the ability to levy an income tax is simultaneously removed. Otherwise, the government could end up doing both at some point, which is what happens in Europe actually. Fair tax people never mention this or seem concerned about it.

2) I'm no economist, but I've heard some claims by Neal Boortz about how the sales tax will "pay for itself" with added economic benefit, basically allowing you to get massive bloated government spending with seemingly no economic repercussions as just kind of ludicrous on its face, but maybe I didn't listen to him objectively.

Shink
09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Nobody takes into account that replacing TAXES with TAXES will do nothing to remove an agency that forces people to be slaves (IRS would get renamed at most).

Jojo
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

That's what it sounds like to me too. But then again, I don't know too much about it.
I've heard Ron Paul say though that he'd vote for it if it would come up. Can anyone explain that to me or provide me with a link where Ron explains why he'd be for it? Thanks.