PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin, and Ralph Nader for Congress!

Kotin
09-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I have been thinking alot lately about how every election cycle all the small parties run their presidential, and it seems like that is all they focus on, like some miracle will happen and they will get elected.. or to "send a message"

well the only message Ive heard from them is that they are happy with a couple hundred votes for a lame duck presidential candidate..

everyone here knows that Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin etc.. will not win.

so why don't we get them in congress??

Chuck Baldwin for Congress, Bob Barr for Senate, get cynthia mckinney back in as well..

these are offices they could win and get elected to..

if they did this, it would actually help rather than waste time and money not getting them elected to any office.

your thoughts?

Kotin
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
bump

nate895
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Problem:

They run plenty of Congressional candidates as well (otherwise the FEC wouldn't recognize them as a party) and they still lose, miserably. I am trying to form the Conservative Party (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=154071) which would try to unite the conservative third parties and independents behind one banner, and it would focus, first on any state gubernatorial elections in 2009, then on all 2010 midterms, with a goal of actually picking a seat or two.

Kotin
09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Problem:

They run plenty of Congressional candidates as well (otherwise the FEC wouldn't recognize them as a party) and they still lose, miserably. I am trying to form the Conservative Party (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=154071) which would try to unite the conservative third parties and independents behind one banner, and it would focus, first on any state gubernatorial elections in 2009, then on all 2010 midterms, with a goal of actually picking a seat or two.

yes, but Barr and Baldwin etc.. can win a congressional election.

alaric
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Problem:

How about a party called Traditional Republican? It might avoid some of the sting of '3rd party'. On my local ballot i see stuff like alternate republican/democrat party and it really does look different than Libertarian, Constitution party. Gives it a 'mainstream' look that might be an effective advertising ploy. Hey, we need the exposure!

nate895
09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
How about a party called Traditional Republican? It might avoid some of the sting of '3rd party'. On my local ballot i see stuff like alternate republican/democrat party and it really does look different than Libertarian, Constitution party. Gives it a 'mainstream' look that might be an effective advertising ploy. Hey, we need the exposure!

Conservative does that as well.

nate895
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
yes, but Barr and Baldwin etc.. can win a congressional election.

Barr already ran for Congress. I bet that either one would lose a Congressional election without uniting behind a more coalition-based party. Both the CP and LP are really parties that represent small constituencies, rather than large coalitions.

apc3161
09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I've always said if the third parties were serious, they would stop focusing on Presidential elections for now.

For now, they would focus on taking 1-2 house seats. At that point, they will have some "legitimacy." Right now, everyone just thinks they are a bunch of "loser" parties who never win.

After that, they should built up their house seats until they get like 10-30 seats. Then try and get a few senate seats.

Once you have 50+ House seats, and 10+ Senate seats, people would take you seriously in a Presidential campaign, then you can go for the gold.

Kludge
09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
It's nifty that the LP, CP, CPUSA, GP, SP, SWP, OP, NIP, and BTP would like to give us a real choice this election, but I'd prefer resources be spent on smaller offices. State representative would be a good office to have as a goal for the LP. Even our "serious" liberty-minded Republicans face demoralizing odds.

Kotin
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
It's nifty that the LP, CP, CPUSA, GP, SP, SWP, OP, NIP, and BTP would like to give us a real choice this election, but I'd prefer resources be spent on smaller offices. State representative would be a good office to have as a goal for the LP. Even our "serious" liberty-minded Republicans face demoralizing odds.

agreed.

I just dont get why they set the bar so high first..

Arklatex
09-08-2008, 01:56 PM
You under estimate the positives that come from a Presidential run. Would the Revolution have started if Ron Paul not run for Pres?

Kludge
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
You under estimate the positives that come from a Presidential run. Would the Revolution have started if Ron Paul not run for Pres?

You don't talk to many Alex Jones fans, do you?