PDA

View Full Version : Rt 1 - Eastern Seaboard Research Sign-Up

ronpaulhawaii
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
You can see the basic route here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_1

At this point, little is written in stone and I love open-source strategizing...

What we are doing is similar to the w4f only instead of targeting every little town, we will be targeting every little (and big) "college-town" within 20 miles of our route. In the bigger ones we hope to stage multi-day events.

This research will expand as we develop the event.

For now, a spread sheet with the southernmost college first and the northernmost last; with size, address, and phone #, will be a huge help

Here are the States
FL - DjLoTi
GA - GeorgiaPeach - Done - Thank You
SC - Gertie
NC
VA - Primbs
DC
MD - Amy 314...
PA
NJ
NY
CT
RI
MA
NH - rebelsc61
ME - rebelsc61

Just post intent here and I'll edit you into the list, we can compile and archive the data elsewhere

Thanks

georgiapeach
09-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I'll do Georgia. I've got plenty of time to kill :)

Danke
09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I can't take all of MA. But if funding becomes available, I'll fly out and do research/investigation into Wellesley College for you guys!

Nirvikalpa
09-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I live right off of rt 1, believe it or not... you don't want to stop at New Brunswick at Rutgers do you? I wouldn't... *shakes head violently* Rutgers as my friend constantly reminds me is Obama country and they furiously mean it. If you were going to do a college in NJ, go to Ramapo (Murray Sabrin teaches there)! You'd get a lot of attention there...

I'm in PA at college now though... far far away from rt 1 and NJ.

micahnelson
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Needs more RI...

ronpaulhawaii
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I can't take all of MA. But if funding becomes available, I'll fly out and do research/investigation into Wellesley College for you guys!

haha - :D

I live right off of rt 1, believe it or not... you don't want to stop at New Brunswick at Rutgers do you? I wouldn't... *shakes head violently* Rutgers as my friend constantly reminds me is Obama country and they furiously mean it. If you were going to do a college in NJ, go to Ramapo (Murray Sabrin teaches there)! You'd get a lot of attention there...

I'm in PA at college now though... far far away from rt 1 and NJ.

Actually, we want to stop at every college within a reasonable distance of the route. This is a non-partisan effort to spark discussion on issues that concern us all. We walked into the "Liberty Parade" (hehe), we can walk into Rutgers...

We can tailor the presentation for the different demographics. First we need a master list to build a route and tentative schedule

Needs more RI...

:o oops :o - I suppose y'all get used to that... added :o

Primbs
09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
George Mason's house and George Washington's Mt. Vernon are close to Rt 1 in Virginia.

Can help out with Virginia.

ronpaulhawaii
09-09-2008, 08:21 AM
George Mason's house and George Washington's Mt. Vernon are close to Rt 1 in Virginia.

Can help out with Virginia.

Thanks, George. And great that you are thinking of additional "not to be missed" landmarks...

We will start with lists of Colleges, from that we can visualize a route. From the tentative route we can start adding "must pass" landmarks, this will give us Route-v1. From that we can start scheduling. As this will take months, we have plenty of time to do promotion in the northern states.

Sadly, I had a working route mapped from Key West to CT that was lost in a save and will have to start over.

For those who are going to help, I find google maps and google earth to be very helpful for the research and actual mapping will be done on www.gmap-pedometer.com (http://www.gmaps-pedometer.com) .

micahnelson
09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I like where this is going. We had quite a bit of support from the RI college republicans this year- but I'm not sure if any of them post here.

ronpaulhawaii
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
I like where this is going. We had quite a bit of support from the RI college republicans this year- but I'm not sure if any of them post here.

Does this mean you will research RI for us? ;):):D

The idea is to use the bigger college towns as landmarks and main event venues. The smaller colleges will be targeted for a basic "meeting" events. And we are gonna try to get the college political groups to help us promote/organize.

LoTi has taken on FL :D

onward and forward

Nirvikalpa
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Some colleges I am pretty sure are on rt 1 (or close by):

- St. Joseph's University (Students for Life Group, College Republicans)
- University of Maryland @ College Park
- Rutgers University/State College of NJ (Rutgers College Republicans, Rutgers Against the War)
- University of Mary Washington (Anarchist Social Theory Club, College Republicans, Gun Club, Students for Life)
- Virginia State University
- North Carolina State University
- Medical College of Georgia

Someone double check me :)

georgiapeach
09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I can verify the Medical College of Georgia :). It's location is the only thing I know about it. If you have any info on them, or any of the others, please feel free to share.

malkusm
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
University of Maryland is ON Route 1. Literally ON. The main gate is one one side, and on the other side is Greek Row.

When you get more details let me know - I'm willing to help with parts in VA or MD, it depends on where I am when this walk happens. VA would be harder for me to manage if I'm at school, but I'll still do my best because it's a great cause.

Route 1 also goes very near Baltimore where there are a LOT of colleges:

University of Maryland - Baltimore County (UMBC)
Towson University
Johns Hopkins University

are the three big ones - each with at least 8,000 undergrads if I'm not mistaken.

malkusm
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Also, I believe in VA that Route 1 goes through Richmond, which has a couple big universities: Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU - the largest public institution in the state of VA) and University of Richmond (which is a private school, and I'm not sure what the politics are there to be honest).

ronpaulhawaii
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks Nikki, and Matt

The smaller schools are almost more important than the big ones, community colleges and all.

Matt, I still have your "stamp" with me...

lol

Gertie
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
I'll do the list for SC.

:rolleyes: A lone strange fellow lurking around outside with no apparent purpose would be ignored by 99% of the students, since the first assumption is often 1) that he's a dumb frat boy there to gawk, maybe even hoping to get lucky and stay overnight, or 2) he's taken and waiting for his girlfriend. I think you ought to let the van handle this. ;)

I do hope the van stops at Wellesley. Since you are hoping to keep it nonpartisan, I recommend looking up the campus CPLA (committee for pollitical and legislative action- a nonpartisan org) and they may coordinate something with you. Wish I could be there to help, but it's a few years too late and 1200 miles too far for me. :(

2-3 miles up the road from Wellesley are three other small colleges- Massachusetts Bay Community College, Olin and Babson. The person working the MA lists may or may not know this, but Olin and Babson are literally next door to each other. A joint event may be useful there- they often do joint events anyway, because their relationship is symbiotic in a way (small preppy business-oriented college + very small holistic engineering college= lots of cross registration).

Oh, and Brandeis over in Waltham... good place to go talk about non-interventionism? :D

Danke
09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
:rolleyes: A lone strange fellow lurking around outside with no apparent purpose would be ignored by 99% of the students

I wouldn't be alone. I'd have Shemdogg with me. (and it isn't a van, it's an RV)

Gertie
09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't be alone. I'd have Shemdogg with me. (and it isn't a van, it's an RV)

Shemdogg? Isn't he the one that was begging "RP chicks" to let him stay in their tents at Ronstock?
Not so sure it would be helping your case. :D

RV, ah that's right, term mix up- my bad!

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2008, 01:19 AM
North Carolina State University is some 3-ish 4-ish blocks off of the road that WOULD BE (and at one point in time, was) US #1 in Raleigh if they didn't divert US1 over to the beltline.

ETA - and oh yeah, I live less than a mile off US#1 just past Wake Forest into Youngsville heading north.

ronpaulhawaii
09-11-2008, 06:03 AM
I'll do the list for SC.

:rolleyes: A lone strange fellow lurking around outside with no apparent purpose would be ignored by 99% of the students, since the first assumption is often 1) that he's a dumb frat boy there to gawk, maybe even hoping to get lucky and stay overnight, or 2) he's taken and waiting for his girlfriend. I think you ought to let the van handle this. ;)

I do hope the van stops at Wellesley. Since you are hoping to keep it nonpartisan, I recommend looking up the campus CPLA (committee for pollitical and legislative action- a nonpartisan org) and they may coordinate something with you. Wish I could be there to help, but it's a few years too late and 1200 miles too far for me. :(

2-3 miles up the road from Wellesley are three other small colleges- Massachusetts Bay Community College, Olin and Babson. The person working the MA lists may or may not know this, but Olin and Babson are literally next door to each other. A joint event may be useful there- they often do joint events anyway, because their relationship is symbiotic in a way (small preppy business-oriented college + very small holistic engineering college= lots of cross registration).

Oh, and Brandeis over in Waltham... good place to go talk about non-interventionism? :D

Thank You, Gertie, good info here. And in case I never said so, welcome

Shemdogg? Isn't he the one that was begging "RP chicks" to let him stay in their tents at Ronstock?
Not so sure it would be helping your case. :D

RV, ah that's right, term mix up- my bad!

LOL

North Carolina State University is some 3-ish 4-ish blocks off of the road that WOULD BE (and at one point in time, was) US #1 in Raleigh if they didn't divert US1 over to the beltline.

ETA - and oh yeah, I live less than a mile off US#1 just past Wake Forest into Youngsville heading north.

So Glen, does this mean you will take NC ?

hehe

m

raystone
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
bump