PDA

View Full Version : A call to arms!!!

Sematary
09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I have to learn to name my threads better

It is time to let the GOP know how we feel. To that end, I am asking that everyone pass this message along to everyone in every meetup that you are in contact with and ask them to mail the GOP at the national level and at your local state level. Here is the letter I sent to the RNC.

I sent this letter to the RNC. I hope they are listening.

Tell the GOP your story - as I have done here. I emailed this earlier. It's time to let these people know that we are a force and we won't be denied...

The GOP is missing a golden opportunity to revitalize it's party. Let me tell you my story, and the story of others that I know of.

I am 45 years old and have been an independent voter my entire life. I generally voted Libertarian but I did vote for Ronald Reagan. In the intervening years between Ronald Reagan and today, I have never seen a GOP candidate who captured my imagination. I never imagined a Republican (or Democratic) candidate who spoke for me since those long lost days of Reagan. Both parties have worked to polarize the nation and to expand the power of government. The Republican Party, especially, was disappointing, because it was supposed to be the party of liberty - the party of small government and fiscal conservativeness. Newt Gingrich had us believing that the Republican party could return to those ideals and we were failed.
This was, along with the Iraq war, largely responsible for the stunning defeat of the Republican party in the 2006 elections.
There was ONE Republican, however, who seemed to engender the very qualities that I saw in Libertarian candidates through the years and who spoke for me. He consistently defended the second Amendment, and in fact defended the constitution, as his oath of office demanded he do. That man's name was Ron Paul. I emailed his congressional offices regularly over the last couple of years, begging him to join the presidential race. I was not the only one. There were many of us actively asking this defender of the republic to step out of the wings and run for president. In 2007 he declared his candidacy and many, like myself, did something we have never done before - we registered as Republicans so we could vote for him in the primaries. Independents and Democrats, attracted by his message of constitutional government, freedom and liberty, banded together into a grassroots movement that is forcing the main stream media, the Gop old guard and even the other candidates, to take a look at what his candidacy means to this election.
I know of people who had stopped voting, who will be out in this election, as registered Republicans, to vote for this man. I know old guard Republicans who had become so disillusioned with the Bush presidency and it's constant call to war and it's ever expanding growth of government and power that they decided to never again vote for "the lesser of two evils". I know people who have switched from the Democratic party because of his stance on the war.
As you are well aware, the Paul candidacy crosses the political spectrum and attracts voters from all sides of the issues. Why? I think you know the answer. The question is - are you going to continue to fight this yearning for freedom, liberty, and smaller government, that Ron Paul has sparked in us, or are you going to embrace it and revitalize your party and give it an opportunity to have someone in the office of President who represents the best of what the Republican party can be?
The choice, at this point, is yours. I guarantee that those of us who support Ron Paul will not vote for any other candidate in the Republican party - especially the supposed "top teir" candidates. We will, once again, take our energy to a third party and drain votes from the Republican party. No other candidate on the Republican ticket offers the hope that Ron Paul does. No other candidate will suffice. I urge you to embrace his candidacy and reject the beliefs of the neoconservatives and return to the values of Ronald Reagan. The choice is yours. Either the Republican party will continue to marginalize Ron Paul and thus, doom themselves to being crushed in the general election, or the Republican Party will embrace him and find new hope in an old message that was the basis for our nation.
Which is it going to be?

klamath
09-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I thought I was reading my own thoughts. Great letter!

jonahtrainer
09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I thought I was reading my own thoughts. Great letter!

You assume they care. We are dealing with two wings on the same bird. It is painfully obvious they are throwing the election to Hillary.

Sematary
09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
You assume they care. We are dealing with two wings on the same bird. It is painfully obvious they are throwing the election to Hillary.

The point is to HAMMER them. Remember how we got the Michigan GOP to relent?
Well, come on. Have faith and WRITE!

ghemminger
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
What did Martin Luther King Do? He marched and protested

Sematary
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
What did Martin Luther King Do? He marched and protested

And so shall we. But, we can also use the tools at our disposal - an internet march and protest, if you will! Email them!

Cowlesy
09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
They called me yet again this past Thursday, and the one good note after I phone-danced with the girl on the other end and finally let her on that I was a Ron Paul supporter---she noted that unequivocally the RNC considers Ron Paul to be a major, national candidate and a stalwart conservative.

You may ask what is the significance? If the RNC acknowledges Ron Paul is a major Republican candidate, we can all save a lot of time petitioning to get him on the Primary Ballots, at least for NY. You should all find out what it takes to get a candidate on your ballot in your state. Here it was 1) Candidate qualifies for federal matching funds and takes them *Yeah right, RP take money from the gov't* 2) Be a nationally recognized candidate by the State Party Committee (by proxy the RNC) 3) 5,000 signatures of registered republicans from NY.

Does everyone know the clear rules of getting Ron on their states respective ballots??

Givemelibertyor.....
09-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Interesting quote from an article on the frontpage of the NCGOP (http://www.ncgop.org/home/index.asp) site:

At the end of the day, the most important lesson I can share from my time on the road this month isn’t a new one, but one that’s easy to forget: most people don’t care whether they’re represented by a Republican or a Democrat. Most Americans aren’t ideological -- they want leaders who are committed to their values, and who will ensure the freedom and security of their families and communities.

Hmmm. I think this is a good opportunity to remind them of this, and the chance they are missing by treating Ron Paul like a red-headed stepchild. No one comes closer to representing the values of the American people than Ron Paul.

Givemelibertyor.....
09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
They called me yet again this past Thursday, and the one good note after I phone-danced with the girl on the other end and finally let her on that I was a Ron Paul supporter---she noted that unequivocally the RNC considers Ron Paul to be a major, national candidate and a stalwart conservative.

You may ask what is the significance? If the RNC acknowledges Ron Paul is a major Republican candidate, we can all save a lot of time petitioning to get him on the Primary Ballots, at least for NY. You should all find out what it takes to get a candidate on your ballot in your state. Here it was 1) Candidate qualifies for federal matching funds and takes them *Yeah right, RP take money from the gov't* 2) Be a nationally recognized candidate by the State Party Committee (by proxy the RNC) 3) 5,000 signatures of registered republicans from NY.

Does everyone know the clear rules of getting Ron on their states respective ballots??

No, I don't but I'll find out. That's an important point that you've brought up.

Sematary
09-03-2007, 01:10 PM
bump
I'd like to see 30,000+ letters to the gop on this one.

Colleen
09-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Sematary,

Excellent letter! I agree with you. I am an avid letterer, myself. And also letters to editors are wonderful teaching tools! Every little thing adds up!

Kuddos!!!

tmg19103
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Big Bump! Composing letters to the PA and National GOP right now.

Also, I just got a PM from another member on how we might have a way to get national initiatives out to thousands of RP supporters quickly. More later as I get more info and if it were to become reality.

As for the MeetUps, I know PA has a state coordinator who can email all MeetUp organizers in PA. Are other states doing this? This can be a good way to get info out nationwide, but i can also tell you that with the three Philly area MeetUps I belong to, I get an awful lot of email from them and there are complaints of info overload from people who belong to just one MeetUp.

I'm very busy with work this week and working with Danda to get the Phill Rally website up, but after that I can offer some time if we can come up with some better ways to streamlime communication - while also not stepping on the creative feet of our grassroots nature. Assuming anyone is interested. Will have thoughts and perhaps concrete ideas in a week if some things fall in place.

Karrl
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Excellent letter semetary. This morning I think it became apparent that Hillary C. is going to make "changing course" a major campaign promise/issue. I also read an article that the republican party is moving back towards supporting most Bush policies including staying the course in Iraq. Let me say, I dont believe Hillary"s change of course is much different that staying the course!! Yet this will further polarize the anti war and pro war camps. The politicians (both red and blue) are not listening to people as the majority want the war in Iraq ended ASAP. And I've read that ASAP could take up to one year.

The progress in Iraq that is going to be reported by Bush will boost the confidence of the RNC and its pro war position. Bush is now doing his best to put positive spin on anything Iraq to support republican politicians running for office. As the MSM frames the election in terms of....want change? vote democrat, stay the course! vote republican. Is the end of the republican party nigh?

Democrats will either fall for the Hillary pomp or the Obama mystique, both support preemptive military action. Has either said a word about signing statements?

I'm afraid RP will get buried under the republican rug. If there are enough disenfranchised republicans, independents, and democrats....who realize a vote for anyone other than RP is just business as usual....he would do well as a third party candidate. Maybe even win it!!

Slugg
09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
bump
I'd like to see 30,000+ letters to the gop on this one.

You would have to send this request to all the meetup members for that...

Sematary
09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
You would have to send this request to all the meetup members for that...

The idea is to pass this on - you pass it on to any meetups you belong to.
I pass it on to any meetups I belong to
Everybody else who sees it passes it on and asks that other people pass it on. It needs to be viral.

Sematary
09-04-2007, 05:46 AM
bump

SWATH
09-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Great letter, but I'm not sure they care. As was said before I think they are intentionally throwing the election to Hillary.

Avalon
09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
It isn't like upon receipt of all these letters they're going to say "I guess we should support him" or even "Well, I guess we should start playing fair." At best you'll convert the intern paid to read these things. At worst you'll convince them to change tactics and devote more time, energy, and money with which to attack Ron Paul.

dsentell
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Exceptional letter Sematary!

I, too, realize that Ron Paul is the Republican party's only hope for the 2008 election. If they would embrace him, I believe there would be a landslide victory.

However, I too am skeptical that they give a rip. As strange as it seems, I think the Bushes and their allies would like to see Hillary win. Just think how close the Clintons and Bushes are. Bill and Daddy Bush trotting around the world together garnering support for tsunami victims. Both families are New World Order people and that is more important to them than any perceived Republican-Democrat difference.

Sematary
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Exceptional letter Sematary!

I, too, realize that Ron Paul is the Republican party's only hope for the 2008 election. If they would embrace him, I believe there would be a landslide victory.

However, I too am skeptical that they give a rip. As strange as it seems, I think the Bushes and their allies would like to see Hillary win. Just think how close the Clintons and Bushes are. Bill and Daddy Bush trotting around the world together garnering support for tsunami victims. Both families are New World Order people and that is more important to them than any perceived Republican-Democrat difference.

Here is what I know.
If we do nothing - nothing happens
If we say nothing - nothing changes
even worse, I will have FELT like I didn't do everything I could.

fj45lvr
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves longer. Sir, we have done everything that could be done, to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded, and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne!
In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free—if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending—if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon, until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained—we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of Hosts is all that is left us!
They tell us, sir, that we are weak—unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?
Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature has placed in our power. Three millions of people armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against usBesides, air, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable—and let is come! I repeat it, sir, let it come!

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace—but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!