PDA

View Full Version : Tell the GOP how you feel!

Sematary
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Perhaps we can change the party. Perhaps not. But we must try. Email them and tell them your story. Tell them why you support Ron Paul and tell them why they will lose your vote and why their party will cease to be relevant if they ignore us. Here is the letter I sent:

The GOP is missing a golden opportunity to revitalize it's party. Let me tell you my story, and the story of others that I know of.

I am 45 years old and have been an independent voter my entire life. I generally voted Libertarian but I did vote for Ronald Reagan. In the intervening years between Ronal Reagan and today, I have never seen a GOP candidate who captured my imagination. I never imagined a Republican (or Democratic) candidate who spoke for me since those long lost days of Reagan. Both parties have worked to polarize the nation and to expand the power of government. The Republican Party, especially, was disappointing, because it was supposed to be the party of liberty - the party of small government and fiscal conservativeness. Newt Gingrich had us believing that the Republican party could return to those ideals and we were failed.
This was, along with the Iraq war, largely responsible for the stunning defeat of the Republican party in the 2006 elections.
There was ONE Republican, however, who seemed to engender the very qualities that I saw in Libertarian candidates through the years and who spoke for me. He consistently defended the second Amendment, and in fact defended the constitution, as his oath of office demanded he do. That man's name was Ron Paul. I emailed his congressional offices regularly over the last couple of years, begging him to join the presidential race. I was not the only one. There were many of us actively asking this defender of the republic to step out of the wings and run for president. In 2007 he declared his candidacy and many, like myself, did something we have never done before - we registered as Republicans so we could vote for him in the primaries. Independents and Democrats, attracted by his message of constitutional government, freedom and liberty, banded together into a grassroots movement that is forcing the main stream media, the Gop old guard and even the other candidates, to take a look at what his candidacy means to this election.
I know of people who had stopped voting, who will be out in this election, as registered Republicans, to vote for this man. I know old guard Republicans who had become so disillusioned with the Bush presidency and it's constant call to war and it's ever expanding growth of government and power that they decided to never again vote for "the lesser of two evils". I know people who have switched from the Democratic party because of his stance on the war.
As you are well aware, the Paul candidacy crosses the political spectrum and attracts voters from all sides of the issues. Why? I think you know the answer. The question is - are you going to continue to fight this yearning for freedom, liberty, and smaller government, that Ron Paul has sparked in us, or are you going to embrace it and revitalize your party and give it an opportunity to have someone in the office of President who represents the best of what the Republican party can be?
The choice, at this point, is yours. I guarantee that those of us who support Ron Paul will not vote for any other candidate in the Republican party - especially the supposed "top teir" candidates. We will, once again, take our energy to a third party and drain votes from the Republican party. No other candidate on the Republican ticket offers the hope that Ron Paul does. No other candidate will suffice. I urge you to embrace his candidacy and reject the beliefs of the neoconservatives and return to the values of Ronald Reagan. The choice is yours. Either the Republican party will continue to marginalize Ron Paul and thus, doom themselves to being crushed in the general election, or the Republican Party will embrace him and find new hope in an old message that was the basis for our nation.
Which is it going to be?

Here is the gop.com email I was able to find
info@gop.com

Sematary
09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Also - while you are on the GOP website, take the opportunity to send a letter to five of your local papers on the same theme.

Sematary
09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Is anyone else doing this? Can you pass it to your meetups?
Can we have your letters to see what you said? I think we need to inundate the national and state GOP with our letters.

speciallyblend
09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I will send a letter ,you pretty much said what i wanted to say,Can i use your letter of course i will have to change a few things,but you hit the nail on the head;) thanks:) Colorado registered Republican