PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned after your MN experience?

smileylovesfreedom
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Now that we have had some time to reflect - what lessons (good and bad) did you learn after participating the in any of the C4L, RNC, or grassroots activites in MN?

smileylovesfreedom
09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
What I learned -

Good -

- There are many amazing people from across this great country who will not give up!
- We have more in common than we have differences, don't let the small stuff distract you.
- You'll meet new and old friends in odd places
- MNLG has the best picnics!
- Always bring an umbrella :)
- Jesus is running this year - write him in :p

Bad -

- Arresting journalists and innocent bystanders is now an acceptable practice :mad:
- I'm a "public nuisance" :(
- Don't put your keys in your bag because if you are arrested, then you won't get your keys back until the next day.

Danke
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Bad -

- Arresting journalists and innocent bystanders is now an acceptable practice :mad:
- I'm a "public nuisance" :(
- Don't put your keys in your bag because if you are arrested, then you won't get your keys back until the next day.

You got arrested? Where, when?

The police tactics and behavior shocked me, I guess "Minnesota Nice" is passe.

torchbearer
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Never be a ronvoy driver. even if they pay you. (which they don't)
You will end up paying(because they don't give you the funds to cover all the fuel) to have people treat you like a slave and disrespect the liability you have taken on with that van.
Just say no to ronvoy driving.

smileylovesfreedom
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
You got arrested? Where, when?

I was arrested after the RATM concert on the 3rd. The concert was great but I have never saw such a large police presence outside. I stayed around for a little bit to take pictures of the cops and crowds. But it wasn't until I was walking up the street to leave that the trouble began. The cops decided to mass arrest a group of us a few blocks away since some people were flashing peace signs and chanting a few protest lines. :eek: As I walked (on the sidewalks) up 7th, the police shot something into the crowd and people started running around. Then they corralled everyone to move towards a corner and we were surrounded by bike cops and told we were under arrest. There was probably about 50-70 people on the corner who were under arrest. This crowd included people like me who just wanted to go home, MN Peace Team member (a group that observes but doesn't protest), veterns, and of a freelance journalist who was taking pictures. They just arrested everyone.

We ended up having to sit in the street for a few hours handcuffed. They didn't read any miranda rights to us, which I found very distribuing. They just made everyone sit there for about 2 hours. One arrestee had issues with their plastic handcuffs being too tight and his hands was turning funny colors until after we pleaded for awhile that he really needed help and they finally re-cuffed him.

The cops finally set up some sort of mobile booking station in the middle of the street (to obstruct traffic??) where they took everyones mugshots on the street and placed us on a city bus and sent to the underground parking garage in the hennepin county jail where they printed off citations for everyone and let most of us go.

I was released a little before 4 a.m. and charged with three misdemenors - public nuisance, prescene at an unlawful assembly and interfering with pedestrian or vehicle traffic :confused: I still have no clue why I was charged with anything much less three offenses - and others only had one or two offenses on their complaints - pretty random. :(

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 12:17 AM
You will end up paying(because they don't give you the funds to cover all the fuel) to have people treat you like a slave and disrespect the liability you have taken on with that van.

Why not use the donations you gathered for your campaign to help pay for fuel? What happened with that btw?
Too add,
I don't mean any disrespect, but I find it odd that you are complaining about ppl not giving $ when so many gave to you. I also find it difficult to fathom that this is the only mentionable piece of *wisdom* you brought home with you from the Rally.

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I was arrested after the RATM concert on the 3rd. The concert was great but I have never saw such a large police presence outside. I stayed around for a little bit to take pictures of the cops and crowds. But it wasn't until I was walking up the street to leave that the trouble began. The cops decided to mass arrest a group of us a few blocks away since some people were flashing peace signs and chanting a few protest lines. :eek: As I walked (on the sidewalks) up 7th, the police shot something into the crowd and people started running around. Then they corralled everyone to move towards a corner and we were surrounded by bike cops and told we were under arrest. There was probably about 50-70 people on the corner who were under arrest. This crowd included people like me who just wanted to go home, MN Peace Team member (a group that observes but doesn't protest), veterns, and of a freelance journalist who was taking pictures. They just arrested everyone.

We ended up having to sit in the street for a few hours handcuffed. They didn't read any miranda rights to us, which I found very distribuing. They just made everyone sit there for about 2 hours. One arrestee had issues with their plastic handcuffs being too tight and his hands was turning funny colors until after we pleaded for awhile that he really needed help and they finally re-cuffed him.

The cops finally set up some sort of mobile booking station in the middle of the street (to obstruct traffic??) where they took everyones mugshots on the street and placed us on a city bus and sent to the underground parking garage in the hennepin county jail where they printed off citations for everyone and let most of us go.

I was released a little before 4 a.m. and charged with three misdemenors - public nuisance, prescene at an unlawful assembly and interfering with pedestrian or vehicle traffic :confused: I still have no clue why I was charged with anything much less three offenses - and others only had one or two offenses on their complaints - pretty random. :(

Get a good lawyer and fight ASAP. I believe we have a chip in for Legal funds here, it seems like a good cause. I am sorry that you had to go through that, but the case will disolve if you can fight it. :)

speciallyblend
09-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Why not use the donations you gathered for your campaign to help pay for fuel? What happened with that btw?
Too add,
I don't mean any disrespect, but I find it odd that you are complaining about ppl not giving $ when so many gave to you. I also find it difficult to fathom that this is the only mentionable piece of *wisdom* you brought home with you from the Rally.

well it seems you were not a driver of ronvoy or someone that has put on an event ,you cannot just use someone elses money on your own whim. people didn't donate to his campaign for him to dip into it for gas....... enough said... he has valid complaints... but great idea take money from someone elses funds ,you would make a great politician for the dems and republicans take what you need;)

torchbearer i hear you, i know how it is... very frustrating

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 12:42 AM
well it seems you were not a driver of ronvoy or someone that has put on an event ,you cannot just use someone elses money on your own whim. people didn't donate to his campaign for him to dip into it for gas....... enough said... he has valid complaints... but great idea take money from someone elses funds ,you would make a great politician for the dems and republicans take what you need;)

torchbearer i hear you, i know how it is... very frustrating

No, that isn't what I was saying. I said it is ironic for him to complain about donations when he got so many.

I didn't say a word on the thread asking him about where all the donations went that were sent to him, (that he didn't answer) yet he complains about others' donations.
On top of that, he complained about $ when he could have been complaining about the 1st amendment.
I am talking priorities, y'all are talking politics.
I would make a TERRIBLE politician btw. ;)
Texas Straight Talk doesn't go far in today's world.

hotbrownsauce
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM

Hey I'm sorry you were put under that stress.... I know driving long distances is stressful. My brother and I drove 3 thousand miles for 7 days last July for the revolution march and vacationing since we were out that way.

Maybe this could be a lesson Ronvoy's will learn..... that anyone who doesn't respect the drivers orders (So long as they are acceptable to the normal person) will be dropped off at the nearest gas station. Maybe they'll learn not to cut funds so close..... even though I had no part in what happened to you I believe you should be vindicated.

revolutionary8
09-10-2008, 01:55 AM

post bump...
I hope that Rpers and the CFL will form their own contigency of lawyers some day. Legal action should be taken in this instance, as well as legal action to fight for those who had all their materials confiscated by the SS.
Gas and driving complaints (whining about fellow RP people) pale in comparison to complaints about those who silenced us and stold from us. IMHO. Priorities People.

Matt Collins
09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
What did I lean? The streets and layout of MSP SUCKS! Trying to navigate through that town is a miserable experience.

jacmicwag
09-10-2008, 09:41 AM
My takeaways:

1. Ron Paul supporters still have the best signage of all political candidates.
2. Airports and RP supporters make good company.
3. Rental cars in Minneapolis support RP.
4. Cheap hotels in Minneapolis attract RP people.
5. Write down addresses and phone numbers before heading out to a RP event in a strange city.
6. RP people will talk your ear off all night (if you let them get a word in edgewise).
7. Not all RP supporters are strange :) but all are passionate.
8. Don't stay up till 6AM the night before a big event.

torchbearer
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
No, that isn't what I was saying. I said it is ironic for him to complain about donations when he got so many.

I didn't say a word on the thread asking him about where all the donations went that were sent to him, (that he didn't answer) yet he complains about others' donations.
On top of that, he complained about $ when he could have been complaining about the 1st amendment.
I am talking priorities, y'all are talking politics.
I would make a TERRIBLE politician btw. ;)
Texas Straight Talk doesn't go far in today's world.

Until you have given beyond what you can reasonably give to this movement... shut the fuck up.
And I promise you, you would not say such things to my face.
I'll show you Louisiana straight talk.
Wanna defame someone, do it to their face.

RickyJ
09-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Wanna defame someone, do it to their face.

Big bag torchbearer threatening people on Internet forums. What a joke!

You defame yourself with your posts on these forums dude. No one could do a better job of defaming you than you are doing yourself.

A. Havnes
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Trust me, that lovely Patriot Act among other unconstitutional laws can manage to suppress even our own native MN Nice. Talk to locals is you want MN Nice, particularly the ones further north like me! ;)

In this confusing time of elections, during which the police were probably anticipating the arrests of the anarchist group, they were probably more than ready to go after the Paulites, too.

Wendi
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Now that we have had some time to reflect - what lessons (good and bad) did you learn after participating the in any of the C4L, RNC, or grassroots activites in MN? For me, it was a reminder of why I care so much about liberty and restoring the constitution.

TruthisTreason
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
What did I learn?

It's up to me in my own little part of America to start a rEVOLution. Run for office, stir up a hornet's nest, promote an issue, lobby a representative....etc.

rodo1776
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
What did I lean? The streets and layout of MSP SUCKS! Trying to navigate through that town is a miserable experience.

Matt, I agree St,. Paul is a bit screwed up but Minneapolis is a piece of cake. Numbered streets north to south and south to north and 26 streets left to right with names like Adams (A) Bryant (B) Colfax (C) etc.

Also thanks for the reports from the meetings. Appreciated reading them

And torch, Why the continued swearing? You haveing a bad day? FEC probably haveing a lot of fun investigating your alleged violation of campaign laws.

I'll be happy to meet up with you and tell you to your face dude.

Brent Sanders = BS.

Austin
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow Torch, that's a bit immature.

Matt Collins
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Minneapolis is a piece of cakeAre you kidding me?!?! I am an Eagle Scout and never get lost. I can navigate my way in and out of anything. I was lost 4 times in downtown Minneapolis last week! :mad:

In that city they do stupid stuff like -
1st street n
1st street s
1st ave n
1st ave s

Then they have this Interstate they are working on that dumps you out in the middle of downtown for a detour without giving you any detour signs!

Trying to get on the interstate in downtown? HA well you can forget that... you have to go 3 miles away from downtown before you get to an onramp. And then hope that you don't have to go another mile out of the way to get to it just because of the one-way streets! :mad:

Damn nothing pissed me off more than getting lost up there. GRRRRR

yeah, I'm still bitter at MSP's lack of ability to manage their roads and interstates...

TruthisTreason
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Are you kidding me?!?! I am an Eagle Scout and never get lost. I can navigate my way in and out of anything. I was lost 4 times in downtown Minneapolis last week! :mad:

1st street n
1st street s
1st ave n
1st ave s

Then they have this Interstate they are working on that dumps you out in the middle of downtown for a detour without giving you any detour signs!

Trying to get on the interstate in downtown? HA well you can forget that... you have to go 3 miles away from downtown before you get to an onramp. And then hope that you don't have to go another mile out of the way to get to it just because of the one-way streets! :mad:

yeah, I'm still bitter at MSP's lack of ability to manage their roads and interstates...

That 35W N was killing me. :rolleyes:

ha ha only Sirius
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh, come on torchbearer, you know you loved us! We loved you :o Anyways, I hope you made it back home alright... did you catch your Greyhound bus?

ha ha only Sirius
09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Things I learned:

1. There are a ton of dedicated, intelligent, and creative patriots in this country!

2. I learned how to blockwalk more effectively and how to deeply tap into precincts for indirect political power -- to get our politicians by the balls!

3. There may be dark times ahead, but an American Revolution against the proposed NWO would spread the Liberty message around the world -- not by force but by example.

Matt Collins
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
That 35W N was killing me. :rolleyes:Yeah - what the hell kind of sense does naming a road like that make!??! :confused:

Danke
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah - what the hell kind of sense does naming a road like that make!??! :confused:

I'm a native and I get confused. The Metrodome plus 35W closure has screwed it up for me.

But I have driven in a lot worse downtowns.

Downtown St. (Ron) Paul is a piece of cake, except during the Police barracaring with the RNC in town. :mad:

KenInMontiMN
09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Are you kidding me?!?! I am an Eagle Scout and never get lost. I can navigate my way in and out of anything. I was lost 4 times in downtown Minneapolis last week! :mad:

1st street n
1st street s
1st ave n
1st ave s

The 35W and 35E branching is pretty easy to understand alongside the fact that Mpls and St. Paul sit right alongside one another and the branching is for the purpose of serving downtown Mpls with the W branch and downtown St. Paul with the E branch.

Admittedly you have to know where the downtown on-ramps are, but they are there- the sixth street eastbound one-way street becomes an East 94 entrance ramp; the 3rd street westbound one-way street becomes a West 94 entrance ramp; the 4th ave southbound one-way street becomes a South 35W entrance ramp; and once the bridge that collapsed is re-opened we will again access North 35W right from Washington Ave. in the NE corner of the downtown district. In the meantime its across the Miss on the 3rd Ave. or Hennepin ave bridges and take University Ave east to access Northbound 35W; or go 94E out of downtown to 280N which is the temporary detour all interstate thru traffic follows for now.

Matt Collins
09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Admittedly you have to know where the downtown on-ramps are, but they are there- the sixth street eastbound one-way street becomes an East 94 entrance ramp; the 3rd street westbound one-way street becomes a West 94 entrance ramp; the 4th ave southbound one-way street becomes a South 35W entrance ramp; and once the bridge that collapsed is re-opened we will again access North 35W right from Washington Ave. in the NE corner of the downtown district. In the meantime its across the Miss on the 3rd Ave. or Hennepin ave bridges and take University Ave east to access Northbound 35W; or go 94E out of downtown to 280N which is the temporary detour all interstate thru traffic follows for now.That is entirely too much to keep in mind while trying to navigate downtown traffic in a major city while driving a rental car and 4 libertarians in the back seat all giving you different directions :(

jacmicwag
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah I got totally lost after the rally in Blaine trying to find Clubhouse Jagar. We finally parked the car at a bar and asked for directions (after first trying a convenience store). When I first walked in I overhead the bartender tell a waitress that he couldn't vote this year because he hadn't paid taxes in 10 years. Hmm - now that caught my attention. I told him to check out RP but he had never heard of him.

These folks were very friendly though - they dug out the phone books and tried to get an address on the place. No luck. Then another guy came up who was a limo/taxi driver and said he would help. Another strange coincidence here since the driver had hauled people up to the rally that night. He also mentioned he would be driving John McManus over to the main event the next day. He made some calls and could not locate the club either.

At this point, we just decided to have a drink at that bar and support the tax protester/owner. When the guy brought us our drinks, however, he would not accept any money and said everything was on the house. Maybe someone told him about Paul as we were trying to figure out where the hell we were at. I guess sometimes it pays to get lost.