PDA

View Full Version : McCain or abstain?

Sematary
09-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Why would certain delegates only be given those choices?

RP4EVER
09-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Because the party doesnt like a difference of opinion? Because the party doesnt want Conservatives involved? Theres a hundred reasons...........

Bradley in DC
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
As I explained here a long time ago, the RNC by-laws list the qualifications for a candidate to be nominated for president. One of those qualifications was to demonstrate support from a majority of delegates from five states. The official campaign failed to meet the minimum qualifications.

Sematary
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Because the party doesnt like a difference of opinion? Because the party doesnt want Conservatives involved? Theres a hundred reasons...........

No, really, I don't understand.
How can the party tell delegates they CAN'T vote for the person they are there to vote for?

westmich4paul
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
wouldn't matter why to me I would still abstain. Let them bring in an alternate delegate, I will not cave my principles to no one. Those who did and are saying it was for Party unity or to get in good graces with Republicans need to realize they sold their souls to the dark side. These people won't be nice later to them, they will not say well you played nice with us so now we will respect your Ron Paul Republican beliefs. I really think they were caught up in some kool aid fest to think that if they went along it would create a get alonmg situation later on. Thats just not how Republican's tick and we all know it.

Sematary
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
As I explained here a long time ago, the RNC by-laws list the qualifications for a candidate to be nominated for president. One of those qualifications was to demonstrate support from a majority of delegates from five states. The official campaign failed to meet the minimum qualifications.

So due to that, Ron Paul delegates aren't allowed to vote for him? But some did, obviously. So does that only apply to some states?

Bradley in DC
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
So due to that, Ron Paul delegates aren't allowed to vote for him? But some did, obviously. So does that only apply to some states?

I didn't say that's why they weren't allowed to vote for him. The national by-laws said Dr. Paul was not qualified to be nominated. There were, apparently, a variety of state rules governing if one could vote for one not qualified to be nominated or not. No matter what, without five delegates Dr. Paul could not have qualified.

RP4EVER
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
No, really, I don't understand.
How can the party tell delegates they CAN'T vote for the person they are there to vote for?

Have you been asleep all year? Not trying to be ugly. Look at Nevada; look at any other state convention where McCain was pushed on the people.......you thought the National Convention would be different?

nate895
09-07-2008, 07:08 PM

There is allowance for write-ins. There has been votes for people who weren't nominated on the floor recorded by the convention many times in the past. Also, any rules that allow unbinding for lack of votes, generally do that after the first ballot.