PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul delegates

BillyDkid
09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been reading on Lew Rockwell's blog about some Ron Paul delegates throwing their support to John McCain. Are these people retarded? How can anybody who seriously supported Dr. Paul even consider throwing their support to John McCain. The argument, apparently, is for party unity. F**k party unity and f**K the GOP (as well as the Dems). They are all corrupt, venal and dishonest. Any Ron Paul supporter who supports either party as they stand now is a piece of crap IMHO.

Also, I want to know who is going to take up the mantle as the leader of the movement and is going to challenge the GOP next time around. You can bet your life that this country will be even further down the toilet by the time 2012 rolls around. We need some one to start to step up now. Rand? Somebody else? I say, let's start campaigning for 2012 now!!! Assuming we still have a country by then.

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes next time we better have people who will actually STAND UP unlike those p.o.s's like John CUNTingham

Bradley in DC
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Reportedly Lew Moore, Debbie Hopper and Drew Ivers told them to vote for McCain or be replaced with an alternate delegate who would.

Gin
09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been reading delegate accounts all day... Our Delegates didn't have a choice..
Daily Paul has some really good stories..

If we ever suspected that this election was fixed, the stories from those at the RNC would be the proof in the puddin...

We MUST act Fast!!

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Reportedly Lew Moore, Debbie Hopper and Drew Ivers told them to vote for McCain or be replaced with an alternate delegate who would.

well if I was a delegate given an ultimatum like that, then no matter what the vote would go for mccain right? so why give up YOUR morals on the vote if the vote for mccain was going to happen with or without you?

I would have simply said, try and replace me if you want BUT as a RON PAUL delegate who is here because of THOUSANDS of voters who want ME to vote for RON PAUL I will not vote for mccain because it is not just MY VOTE that I would be making.

MsDoodahs
09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I've been reading delegate accounts all day... Our Delegates didn't have a choice..
Daily Paul has some really good stories..

If we ever suspected that this election was fixed, the stories from those at the RNC would be the proof in the puddin...

We MUST act Fast!!

Thanks, will make sure to read their accounts...since they know what happened and there's some pretty wild and at times highly self serving speculation going on around these parts.;)

Gin
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks, will make sure to read their accounts...since they know what happened and there's some pretty wild and at times highly self serving speculation going on around these parts.;)

You are welcome... and actually I wasn't feeling very nice toward them myself until I read the accounts....

Some did vote for RP, but they weren't called out or counted so in the end it didn't matter and some of the delegates got there cameras confiscated to boot... Apparently McInsane was running the whole show....go figure!:mad:

westmich4paul
09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
well if I was a delegate given an ultimatum like that, then no matter what the vote would go for mccain right? so why give up YOUR morals on the vote if the vote for mccain was going to happen with or without you?

I would have simply said, try and replace me if you want BUT as a RON PAUL delegate who is here because of THOUSANDS of voters who want ME to vote for RON PAUL I will not vote for mccain because it is not just MY VOTE that I would be making.
qft +1

puppetmaster
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
these people are part of the problem....sad but expected

MsDoodahs
09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
You are welcome... and actually I wasn't feeling very nice toward them myself until I read the accounts....

Some did vote for RP, but they weren't called out or counted so in the end it didn't matter and some of the delegates got there cameras confiscated to boot... Apparently McInsane was running the whole show....go figure!:mad:

At least none of our guys got tazered/beaten/arrested or worse. :eek:

gjvrieze
09-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Zack
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
If you haven't read it, I suggest reading this lewrockwell blog entry, and especially the article it links to.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/022724.html

It seems like about 25%-30% of this forum are being "understanding" about what some delegates have done...

Much like Mugatu, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Is that article not the worst press this revolution has EVER gotten? (that's including accusations of racism) Some people really blew it. BIG TIME.

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Do we really think that by giving them votes now they will then vote our candidates into office LATER who are 100% opposite of their current views?

Or maybe JUST MAYBE they told our gullible delegates that and will happily flip flop later on to prop up another candidate willing to push their platform?

We need to be more careful with who we allow as delegates next time, we ASSumed that our delegates would stick with OUR vote until the end no matter what BUT look at them now.

How can we get a list of these people?
How can we ask Ron Paul about his thoughts on all of his delegates voting for Mccain?

I think we should email, call or write all of these delegates for their reasoning and see if there really is some secret plan the idiots fell for or if they simply are doing the lesser of two evils voting OR worse just trying to be buddy buddy with the current gop in HOPE of changing it

Rangeley
09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
If you haven't read it, I suggest reading this lewrockwell blog entry, and especially the article it links to.

It seems like about 25%-30% of this forum are being "understanding" about what some delegates have done...

Much like Mugatu, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Is that article not the worst press this revolution has EVER gotten? (that's including accusations of racism) Some people really blew it. BIG TIME.
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't say that they "became Republicans." They made a choice they thought would further their goals by giving the others something they wanted.

It's not a choice I would have made, but it isn't like they really "discarded the prefix."

NMCB3
09-07-2008, 05:27 PM
These were supposed to be the hard core RP supporters huh? Sounds like some pretty weak minded collectivists to me. They were only around the elites for a few days and managed to get corrupted by the system....lame

Spirit of '76
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM

False.

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
These were supposed to be the hard core RP supporters huh? Sounds like some pretty weak minded collectivists to me. They were only around the elites for a few days and managed to get corrupted by the system....lame

I think it was all the cowboy hats and confetti that did it.

Zack
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't say that they "became Republicans." They made a choice they thought would further their goals by giving the others something they wanted.

It's not a choice I would have made, but it isn't like they really "discarded the prefix."

I was mainly referring to the article the lewrockwell blog linked to. Scary stuff, and maybe the worst, most belittling, least representative press we've ever gotten, all thanks to their "choice". Good bargain so far...

How can we get a list of these people?

I was hoping there would be a definitive list compiled, as well. Not to harass them, just to make sure they're never put in a position of trust.

gjvrieze
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM

BagOfEyebrows
09-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Basically, the GOP tested the strength and spirit of the convictions and principles claimed to be held by RP delegates and found out, to their slight shock, I'll bet, that the strength and spirit was easily manipulated into submission through 'gifts' and promises - promises, by the way, that the GOP may or may not keep.

I'm still in shock the tactic worked, when the GOP has clearly shown in many states it doesn't even abide by its own rulebook, let alone any principles of honesty or promise-keeping ... and so for any deleagate or alternate delegate to trust the GOP's promises when the GOP 'leadership' has a clear record of saying and promising one thing and delivering another in the subsequent followup ... it's kinda odd.

But, they're human, so there's bound to be errors here and there.

I figure there will be a lot of complaints to come from those who thought they were doing the 'right thing' in the months and years ahead of us all ... and lots of regrets. "But you promised," is going to be said with a heavy heart quite a bit, is my guess. You can't sell the principles this nation got founded upon... you can't make deals with them, using the principles themselves as collateral. Fails every time... it's why the USA is in such a crisis.

Personally, my heart and mind ache for anyone who was duped into voting against their own principles and convictions - it's not going to be an easy road for them, on a personal level, but can lead to a lot of personal growth and better awareness - but the burden they will carry as a result is much bigger than any of our disappoint in their actions, so we might want to just reach out to them to explain why, compassionately, they shouldn't have done it. Help kinda lead them back to their common sense - strengthen them so that they can't be fooled into these kind of schemes. Teach them how to be 'street smart' on the road of politics.

Each and every one of them who voted against their own principles, against Ron Paul, they, alone, will have to live with the consequences such actions bring - to themselves as well as other citizens of this nation and those abroad. They put a lot upon themselves, actually - and it's impossible to justify, long term, going against the principles, even when the words to oneself directly after are temporarily soothing.

They made a mistake - but hopefully it will teach all of them to never, ever again compromise on the principles. Especially when it's done 'in our name' as a grassroots movement.

Apparently, the education of the principles needs to start within our own ranks.

Gin
09-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I know, I am soooooooooooo sick of people who moonlight as RP supporters, I am a true RP fanboy, you could NOT buy my vote for one million dollars!!!!! If you abandon RP, that makes you against the Revolution, and by rational, a neo-con!
By virtue, RP is a great man, who holds his "guns", why can't we get some supporters that hold their ground!!!!

I don't know that I agree with this totally.....

I just received this account through my meetup.....

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Spirit of '76 wrote:

Just for the record, we were treated pretty fairly by the WV GOP (that's not to say we were treated fairly by the RNC, though).
We made some good inroads with a number of the other Republicans on the trip, and I think that overall we made a good impression.

Here's what Gary Abernathy, one of McCain's guys in WV, had to say about us:

"THE RON PAUL FACTOR -- While almost every other GOP contender for president was permitted to speak at the convention, Ron Paul was not. The word was that Paul was invited, with the natural caveat that he (like the other speakers) endorse McCain for president, which Paul was reportedly unwilling to do. Instead, Paul held a separate "convention" for one afternoon at the Minneapolis Convention Center.

The McCain campaign and the RNC were unnecessarily nervous about the presence of Ron Paul delegates at the XCel Energy Center, and sometimes that fact was reflected in unwarranted actions, such as someone yanking away a banner proclaiming the word "Liberty" being held by a handful of Paul delegates outside the building. In fact, while the Paul delegates demonstrated little, if any, support for McCain throughout the convention -- mostly sitting quietly on their hands while the rest of the crowd erupted around them -- they caused no problems and were respectful and polite, including the Paul delegates from West Virginia. The Ron Paul movement has brought thousands of young people into the political process -- shouldn't the GOP find ways to welcome them rather than alienate them?"

That reads like 'progress' to me.

Though I just forwarded them the Lew Rockwell story..... will be interested in hearing the response....

torchbearer
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM

ah yes, my reptilian brothers and sisters who are using this movement to derail true freedom. such a master plan indeed. *hisssssssssssssss*

Gin
09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Basically, the GOP tested the strength and spirit of the convictions and principles claimed to be held by RP delegates and found out, to their slight shock, I'll bet, that the strength and spirit was easily manipulated into submission through 'gifts' and promises - promises, by the way, that the GOP may or may not keep.

I'm still in shock the tactic worked, when the GOP has clearly shown in many states it doesn't even abide by its own rulebook, let alone any principles of honesty or promise-keeping ... and so for any deleagate or alternate delegate to trust the GOP's promises when the GOP 'leadership' has a clear record of saying and promising one thing and delivering another in the subsequent followup ... it's kinda odd.

But, they're human, so there's bound to be errors here and there.

I figure there will be a lot of complaints to come from those who thought they were doing the 'right thing' in the months and years ahead of us all ... and lots of regrets. "But you promised," is going to be said with a heavy heart quite a bit, is my guess. You can't sell the principles this nation got founded upon... you can't make deals with them, using the principles themselves as collateral. Fails every time... it's why the USA is in such a crisis.

Personally, my heart and mind ache for anyone who was duped into voting against their own principles and convictions - it's not going to be an easy road for them, on a personal level, but can lead to a lot of personal growth and better awareness - but the burden they will carry as a result is much bigger than any of our disappoint in their actions, so we might want to just reach out to them to explain why, compassionately, they shouldn't have done it. Help kinda lead them back to their common sense - strengthen them so that they can't be fooled into these kind of schemes. Teach them how to be 'street smart' on the road of politics.

Each and every one of them who voted against their own principles, against Ron Paul, they, alone, will have to live with the consequences such actions bring - to themselves as well as other citizens of this nation and those abroad. They put a lot upon themselves, actually - and it's impossible to justify, long term, going against the principles, even when the words to oneself directly after are temporarily soothing.

They made a mistake - but hopefully it will teach all of them to never, ever again compromise on the principles. Especially when it's done 'in our name' as a grassroots movement.

Apparently, the education of the principles needs to start within our own ranks.

+10

Dave39168
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM

from the article:
Their few votes would not bring the congressman’s suspended campaign for the presidency any closer to its goal. Nor would they stop the ascension of McCain.

since when was the campaign suspended????? That is bad journalism.

Spirit of '76
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Though I just forwarded them the Lew Rockwell story..... will be interested in hearing the response....

I read the Lew Rockwell story, and I was there. Our delegation stayed in the same hotel as the Mass delegation.

As I've said before, there was a big division among the Massachusetts Ron Paul delegation about how to proceed. My observation was that a couple of social climbers within the Mass RP delegation decided to go for McCain and dragged the rest of them along. I seriously thought there would be fist fights at one point.

We Wes' -by God- Virginians stuck to our guns, got our chair to announce our votes for Ron, and still earned respect.

Of course, I don't really have much insight as to the dynamics between the RP people from Mass and the rest of their delegation. Perhaps this can benefit them in the long run; I don't really know.

I have heard the account of an RP delegate who tried to build bridges within his delegation by letting an older McCain alternate cast his vote. While I would have liked him to cast his own vote for Ron, if his delegation chair had no intention of reading it out, I don't see how reaching out humanely to other members of his delegation really hurt.

Gin
09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I've seen this in several different You Tubes... where the Chair asked for any other nominations for President and folks yelled Ron Paul but was ignored.... if only they all yelled at the same time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWm3EmevaU

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I've seen this in several different You Tubes... where the Chair asked for any other nominations for President and folks yelled Ron Paul but was ignored.... if only they all yelled at the same time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWm3EmevaU

ONE MAN was heard screaming and got on video, a lady was on video protesting as well. We are supposed to believe that with all the delegates we had there we were not able to hear a single peep out of any of them?

we need more ballsy delegates and LOUD DELEGATES on the next go around, ones that won't sit on their fucking hands.

RP4EVER
09-07-2008, 06:57 PM
They knew they werent going to be welcomed with open arms....so again I ask....why run?

Wait.....let me guess..........to get their voice heard..........thats an oxymoron in this situation

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
We all knew the delegates of ours were going to be in the minority but we all watched the convention waiting for that REVOLUTION to make their voice heard. We all assumed something was going to happen BUT all the while all they wanted to do was be nice, play nice and vote mccain LOL.. that is irritating.

I do know, next time we raise funds to get these people to the convention that we make sure and write up a contract or something that MAKES THEM vote for our guy no matter what bullshit plays out.

We need those who will remain strong and stick to their guns no matter how many are against them BUT we did not have those patriots as delegates I guess.

I still am hoping for that "surprise attack" where all of this mccain unanimous voting will end up helping us out in the end BUT getting more and more word back for the "Why" they voted for mccain does not make that hope seem very promising.

take over your local political groups on both the republican and democratic sides. Make sure our delegates are actually strong in moral character and won't fold under pressure.

this is irritating to say the least.

Spirit of '76
09-07-2008, 07:05 PM
ONE MAN was heard screaming and got on video, a lady was on video protesting as well. We are supposed to believe that with all the delegates we had there we were not able to hear a single peep out of any of them?

we need more ballsy delegates and LOUD DELEGATES on the next go around, ones that won't sit on their fucking hands.

You mean ones that would just totally ignore what Dr. Paul asked them to do? After all, he asked us not to be disruptive of their proceedings, but rather just be seen and work the press with a positive message of what we hope to accomplish.

I'd say that for the most part we did what he asked us to do pretty well.

RP4EVER
09-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Id say our people blended in really well...........

Spirit of '76
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Id say our people blended in really well...........

Having been there, I'd say we were very obvious and very noticeable to everyone. None of us tried to hide our affiliation, and you can bet everyone there was watching us like hawks to see what we might do.

I think they all expected us to end up sitting in the cage with the socialists. Then they could have just written us off as an irrelevant nuisance. Instead we surprised them by acting civilized (a novel idea, I know) and staying on message, and we left them scratching their heads and coming to the realization that they'd better not underestimate the 10% of their own party that openly supports the ideas of Ron Paul.

Gin
09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I didn't realize that RP had requested as such... that changes things a bit for me.... Didn't they call the vote? I thought that I read somewhere that they deemed McCain the Nominee before all of roll call was taken... am I correct?

I'm glad the WV delegates stuck to their guns.... Kuddos to you guys!!

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 08:06 PM
You mean ones that would just totally ignore what Dr. Paul asked them to do? After all, he asked us not to be disruptive of their proceedings, but rather just be seen and work the press with a positive message of what we hope to accomplish.

I'd say that for the most part we did what he asked us to do pretty well.

Did he also ask you to vote for mccain as well?

MsDoodahs
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Having been there, I'd say we were very obvious and very noticeable to everyone. None of us tried to hide our affiliation, and you can bet everyone there was watching us like hawks to see what we might do.

I think they all expected us to end up sitting in the cage with the socialists. Then they could have just written us off as an irrelevant nuisance. Instead we surprised them by acting civilized (a novel idea, I know) and staying on message, and we left them scratching their heads and coming to the realization that they'd better not underestimate the 10% of their own party that openly supports the ideas of Ron Paul.

Thank you, Spirit.

I for one am proud that y'all conducted yourselves in a way that put the GOP on notice. Ron is NOT the "mayor of kookytown" (Glenn Beck's constant drum beat). His supporters are neither freaks nor children living in their momma's basement. (Okay, some of y'all ARE freaks and some of y'all BEHAVE like children living in your momma's basement. :p)

You did a FANTASTIC job.

Thank you.

:)

puppetmaster
09-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I am ashamed. They would not even let Ron Paul in the convention and his so called supporters sold him out on a breeze. SICK and FOOLISH

puppetmaster
09-07-2008, 10:26 PM
The moderators all seem to be bought out....

torchbearer
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
The moderators all seem to be bought out....

they are all reptilians who are out to get you.

puppetmaster
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
they are all reptilians who are out to get you.

LOL I can take them I believe....;)

sidster
09-07-2008, 10:56 PM

the issue is it was NOT their choice to make. They were
not there as individuals to seek out personal goals. They
were selected to represent the rest of us. They betrayed
all of us with their personal greed.

quote from article:

[Chris] Dyer said he and [Chris] Bunce, who ran recently failed in congressional primary elections, want to run for office again. So they had motivation to play nice.

sidster
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Thank you, Spirit.

I for one am proud that y'all conducted yourselves in a way that put the GOP on notice.

Great. Kudos for those who sold out. That's the way we
run here at RPF... this coming from a MOD no less :rolleyes:

You did a FANTASTIC job.

Absolutely ... you f-ing clowns that couldn't stand your ground
and at least abstain from voting for mccain.

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Great. Kudos for those who sold out. That's the way we
run here at RPF... this coming from a MOD no less :rolleyes:

Absolutely ... you f-ing clowns that couldn't stand your ground
and at least abstain from voting for mccain.

But they kept their composure and did not make a scene LOL

wtf is wrong with this type of thinking!

Make a damn scene or NOT but at least VOTE THE WAY the people who VOTED YOU DELEGATES asked of you.

ssshhhh, we need to be cool because if we make a scene we might actually stir up the realization that MCCAIN IS BULLSHIT.

If this is what ron paul wanted then he is not my candidate AND I doubt this is what ron paul wanted. If he wanted us to vote for mccain then odds are he would have put out the memo as well as spoke at the convention itself and praised mccain INSTEAD of having his own convention.

We have mods, delegates and many others who are flipping all over the damn place.

This place is turning into a nightmare day by day

jacmicwag
09-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Interesting. I never even made it to state but I do know it took quite a bit of time and effort to go all the way to national as a RP delegate or alternate. I'm not in a position to judge any of them except to say next time we kick their (GOP) ass - hopefully.

newyearsrevolution08
09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Interesting. I never even made it to state but I do know it took quite a bit of time and effort to go all the way to national as a RP delegate or alternate. I'm not in a position to judge any of them except to say next time we kick their (GOP) ass - hopefully.

I understand that it took time, money and effort and some even in here helped raise money for some of them to go. Now saying that, what is the point in wasting all of that time effort and money just to go and vote for mccain?

that is where it makes my head hurt and would love to wrap my brain around that understanding BESIDES "trying to not make a scene as Dr. Paul instructed"...

It looked like everyone there made a scene the entire night, dressing like crazy people, confetti, balloon drops, cowboy hats, dancing around like crazy people... Not understand what scene Dr. Paul was instructing them NOT to make.

Orgoonian
09-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Sometimes in life,it is better to "play the game",and walk away.
There was no victory to be had.The game was over before it started.It was fixed,rigged,get it?
I wasn't there,and neither were most of those complaining,but it seems to me our delegates played "smart"

We want to win the war,not fight in some worthless battle that could not be won.

amyk
09-08-2008, 01:28 AM
I used to vote for the lesser of two evils until RP and really did not care about the whole thing (much to my shame:( ) but since supporting him I became an alternate and was seated, at our state convention it was a joke! We were ignored and kicked off the mics, if we tried to bring up anything against the "majority" we were shot down. I have read accounts of the national delegates being brought into rooms full of McCain stooges and secret service. I have also read that many walked out of the convention instead of casting their votes for McCain. Before reading these I was livid and thought how dare they, we put them there to represent us. Now I feel for what they went through and for those who had the courage to walk out I applaud you!

newyearsrevolution08
09-08-2008, 01:33 AM
I used to vote for the lesser of two evils until RP and really did not care about the whole thing (much to my shame:( ) but since supporting him I became an alternate and was seated, at our state convention it was a joke! We were ignored and kicked off the mics, if we tried to bring up anything against the "majority" we were shot down. I have read accounts of the national delegates being brought into rooms full of McCain stooges and secret service. I have also read that many walked out of the convention instead of casting their votes for McCain. Before reading these I was livid and thought how dare they, we put them there to represent us. Now I feel for what they went through and for those who had the courage to walk out I applaud you!

walk out versus vote for that asshole would have made the most sense if their vote for ron paul would not have been heard.

I know some rp votes were heard though so SOME were able to do something but I do agree that it is better to walk out then to cast that mccain vote versus the mentality of "playing the game" to win the war.. I doubt that even though some delegates voted for mccain this time that they would then earn anything once they try and vote for a similar candidate next time as well..

I just don't understand the strategy is all and hoping a delegate who did vote mccain can enlighten us is all. What benefit is given for voting for mccain? I can't see it but yes I knew it was going to be a hard road to walk to the convention and is why we need strong soldiers out there to deal with that crap next time.

Hold the line!

Gin
09-08-2008, 04:54 AM
I am ashamed. They would not even let Ron Paul in the convention and his so called supporters sold him out on a breeze. SICK and FOOLISH

Why are you ashamed? They were going to let Paul into the convention, but under their terms (brief period, keeping his credentials, no one could go with him, he couldn't speak) Plus, he stated that in order to go on the convention floor would mean going against everything he believes... Personally I applaud Paul for not succumbing to their requests... It shows his integrity......

Spirit of '76
09-08-2008, 07:08 AM
I didn't realize that RP had requested as such... that changes things a bit for me.... Didn't they call the vote? I thought that I read somewhere that they deemed McCain the Nominee before all of roll call was taken... am I correct?

They deemed McCain the nominee months ago. ;)

Seriously, this was the John McCain/Sarah Palin/Hurricane Gustav Benefit Telethon. It's all scripted and it's totally fake. There hasn't been a real nominating convention in decades. The nomination of John McCain was a fait accompli, and actively disrupting their little ceremony would have done no good at all.

By looking at the TV's inside the XCel Center, it was easy to see that there was at least a 10 second delay on all television broadcasts, so any disruption would have just been edited out before the American people got to see it, and it would have damaged the inroads we had made with the other members of our delegation.

As for when they officially declared him the nominee, I'm not sure. I left to catch the shuttle after WV cast our votes for Ron Paul.

I'm glad the WV delegates stuck to their guns.... Kuddos to you guys!!

Thanks! Did you hear what Russ Weeks, the WV GOP candidate for governor, said when I thanked him for reading out our votes for Dr. Paul? He just shrugged and said, "Hell, I got an election coming up."

They take us very seriously, and they know that in a state where the GOP is already so thin, they can't afford to alienate us.

Spirit of '76
09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Did he also ask you to vote for mccain as well?

No. The only person I ever heard suggest that any of us should vote for McCain was a young man from Massachusetts called "Cambridge Chris". Most of us told him to forget it.

Spirit of '76
09-08-2008, 07:20 AM
walk out versus vote for that asshole would have made the most sense if their vote for ron paul would not have been heard.

I know some rp votes were heard though so SOME were able to do something but I do agree that it is better to walk out then to cast that mccain vote versus the mentality of "playing the game" to win the war.. I doubt that even though some delegates voted for mccain this time that they would then earn anything once they try and vote for a similar candidate next time as well..

I just don't understand the strategy is all and hoping a delegate who did vote mccain can enlighten us is all. What benefit is given for voting for mccain? I can't see it but yes I knew it was going to be a hard road to walk to the convention and is why we need strong soldiers out there to deal with that crap next time.

Hold the line!

I don't think you understand what went on there. Walk out is exactly what most of the RP delegates who didn't vote for RP did. They were told by their state delegation chair that their votes for RP would not even be read out during the roll call, so they could either vote for McCain or abstain.

In those delegations, some abstained, and some showed they were bigger people than their opponents by exchanging credentials with an alternate who would find voting for McCain to be the thrill of a lifetime. In so doing, they built some bridges with rank and file Republicans who now understand that not all Ron Paul people are the lunatic fanatics they've made us out to be.

In our delegation (WV), that wasn't a problem. Our state chair assured us our votes would be read, and they were (even if they weren't recognized from the podium). And you have to understand that he took a lot of heat from the RNC for that.

Spirit of '76
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you, Spirit.

I for one am proud that y'all conducted yourselves in a way that put the GOP on notice. Ron is NOT the "mayor of kookytown" (Glenn Beck's constant drum beat). His supporters are neither freaks nor children living in their momma's basement. (Okay, some of y'all ARE freaks and some of y'all BEHAVE like children living in your momma's basement. :p)

You did a FANTASTIC job.

Thank you.

:)

Thanks! And thank you for helping make it all possible -- especially the Rally for the Republic!