PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to pass 40,000 meetup members!

Dave Wood
09-03-2007, 08:06 AM
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/about/

Its all good folks! Keep your head up. Continue to build the Revolution with pride.

The founders would be very proud of us right now, if we get knocked down lets never fail to get right back up, just like they did.:)

LibertyEagle
09-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Now, if we could encourage them to actually get involved, we would have gone a long way towards winning this thing.

amberj
09-03-2007, 08:20 AM
My question is this- If you are signed up for more than one meetup group, are you counted more than once? I've been wondering this for some time because I know that A LOT of people are signed up for more than one group. If this is the case, then unfortunately, our numbers are not quite that high. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if anyone knows the answer to this question, please let me know.

goldenequity
09-03-2007, 08:53 AM
We were at 32K on Aug 14....

thats 8K or 25% increase in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!!!:eek: :eek:

ross11988
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
We were at 32K on Aug 14....

thats 8K or 25% increase in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!!!:eek: :eek:

Amazing. I just made my own Meetup and in 2 days Ive had 10 members

Chester Copperpot
09-03-2007, 10:47 AM
My question is this- If you are signed up for more than one meetup group, are you counted more than once? I've been wondering this for some time because I know that A LOT of people are signed up for more than one group. If this is the case, then unfortunately, our numbers are not quite that high. I'm not trying to be a downer here, but if anyone knows the answer to this question, please let me know.

it seems to be]

specsaregood
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Amazing. I just made my own Meetup and in 2 days Ive had 10 members

Make sure to contact them personally, get their phone numbers and actively encourage them to participate and suggest events.

Because what LibertyEagle said is very true:

Now, if we could encourage them to actually get involved, we would have gone a long way towards winning this thing.

Our group has about a 10% activity rate. But I am now actively encouraging them to participate, not just sign up and forget about it.

Brasil Branco
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I've been looking at the increase in Meetup groups closely, and it's been consistently about 200-500 people a day. It's slowed down a bit these past two days, but other than that it's been growing strong.

It's difficult to determine how active these groups actually are, but there's no doubt that meetup is bringing activism in presidential elections to a whole new level, a level which no candidate has been able to reproduce. Even in the unlikely scenario that a small percentage are activists, it's still a tremendous feat.

I'm hoping that before the primaries- the number of members will pass one hundred thousand. If Ron Paul does end up running as an independent, that would give him a great advantage over both parties' nominees.

Chester Copperpot
09-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I've been looking at the increase in Meetup groups closely, and it's been consistently about 200-500 people a day. It's slowed down a bit these past two days, but other than that it's been growing strong.

It's difficult to determine how active these groups actually are, but there's no doubt that meetup is bringing activism in presidential elections to a whole new level, a level which no candidate has been able to reproduce. Even in the unlikely scenario that a small percentage are activists, it's still a tremendous feat.

I'm hoping that before the primaries- the number of members will pass one hundred thousand. If Ron Paul does end up running as an independent, that would give him a great advantage over both parties' nominees.

itll give him another full year to grow the meetup groups too... and at like 9,000 members a month added that would be quite formidable.

rinkuhero
09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
on http://ronpaul.meetup.com/ --
"34,919 Ron Paul Supporters in 835 Groups from 685 Cities
…and 5,029 more waiting to hear when a new Meetup starts!"

It's true that that's almost 40,000 total. But 5000 of them aren't even in a group.

Besides which, most members are inactive. A meetup group of 100 people might get only 10 people to show up at meetings, the rest being completely inactive.

So I think the real number of Ron Paul activists is around 3500 to 5000.

I should also note that during Dean's campaign, he too used MeetUp.com. And he had *120,000* members.

So we've a ways to go.

Cowlesy
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Yes.

FSP-Rebel
09-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Are we actually gaining more activists or are people just signing to different meetups to artificially skew our numbers? I know some people enagage themselves as if they were worth 5 activists a piece, but I can see no reason to count meetup members if we're gonna keep playin this game. If all duplicates were removed, would we even clear 20,000?

njandrewg
09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Are we actually gaining more activists or are people just signing to different meetups to artificially skew our numbers? I know some people enagage themselves as if they were worth 5 activists a piece, but I can see no reason to count meetup members if we're gonna keep playin this game. If all duplicates were removed, would we even clear 20,000?

evne if we have only 1000 active members, thats still light years ahead of other candidates(even if all their members are active)

F. Thompson: 7 with 142 people
Romney: 1 with 29 people [currently on break until october]
McCain: 4 with 66
Hunter: 11 with 172 people
Giuliani: 2 with 56 people
Huckabee: 0 with 0
Brownback: 0 with 0
Tancredo: 3 with 5
Ron Paul: 834 with 39,874 and 5026 interested

Cowlesy
09-03-2007, 11:28 AM

No I actually think the double-count is pretty minor. There aren't a ton of people who sign up for multiple groups. I'd estimate the double-counting to be under 600 people---no science in that estimate, just gauging based on the group in which I participate.

FSP-Rebel
09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
No I actually think the double-count is pretty minor. There aren't a ton of people who sign up for multiple groups. I'd estimate the double-counting to be under 600 people---no science in that estimate, just gauging based on the group in which I participate.
For reality's sake, I hope you're right.

trispear
09-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Don't fret. All the other candidates have the same considerations - they get inactive and duplicate members as well - so the numbers is a fair comparison and an even playing field.

On the flip side, a lot of RP supporters aren't in a group yet they do their own thing.

Zydeco
09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Go click on a few random meetup groups for Ron Paul and you'll see that while there is double-counting going on, the vast majority of people signed up for a group are local.

Also, Dean had about 80,000 meetup.com members at this point, but he'd been running for about 10 months longer than Paul. So it's hard to compare the two, especially since Dean had such fawning MSM coverage b/c he was in favor of bigger government.

The main point is that Paul has many times the # of meetup.com members as all candidates from BOTH parties put together!

~40,000 for Ron Paul
~9,000 everyone else (mostly Obama + Kucinich)

And you want to talk inactive members? Ron Paul groups are forming at the rate of 3-10 per day. The #2 guy, Obama, has had 10 groups form total in the past 10 weeks!

csen
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
There we go, 40,000 it is. We'll hit 50k by the end of the month.

jonahtrainer
09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

I agree.

Our Meetup group has 168 members and we had over 70 at our last meeting. As I have been traveling lately I have noticed these activity rates in three 1M+ cities.

I do not think it 'double counts' people as members if they join Meetups in different cities. This is because each city falls under the 'Ron Paul 2008 Meetup' category. There are 40,056 members of the 'Ron Paul 2008 Meetup' but the 835 groups may have total membership in excess of 40,056.

MozoVote
09-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Most people who have not signed in to meetup for a month, are not really active participants. The number will keep growing until the meetup system does some "pruning".

But I suppose other campaigns have the same problem. Heck they might even have more "dead wood". It would be interesting to be able to compare that...

BLS
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
If they signed up for meetup, this means they are Ron Paul believers, and that's enough for me.

I certainly wish more people would get involved, but that's a social issue, not a political issue. I think we need to be more 'inviting' at some of the meetup groups.

But that's just based on my point of view from my local meetup.

Revolution9
09-03-2007, 09:36 PM
If they signed up for meetup, this means they are Ron Paul believers, and that's enough for me.

I certainly wish more people would get involved, but that's a social issue, not a political issue. I think we need to be more 'inviting' at some of the meetup groups.

But that's just based on my point of view from my local meetup.

BarBQ and beer..Hot dogs and root beer for the kiddies..Bring what you can. Usually gets a good crowd..

Best
Randy