PDA

View Full Version : Obama&McCain NOT on Texas ballot?

IDefendThePlatform
09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Any chance the law will actually be followed here?

http://www.lp.org/news/press-releases/obama-mccain-fail-to-qualify-for-texas-ballot

According to this they both missed the filing deadline to be on the ballot in Texas. Of course, if both were left off the ballot in Texas that would pretty much guarantee an Obama presidency, since that state was a lock for McCain. But think of all the publicity Barr and the LP could get if he won that state.

Ok, someone bring me back to reality here.....

constitutional
09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
"The deadline, which was set at 5 p.m. on August 26, passed before Sen. Obama was nominated and before Sen. McCain had even selected his running mate."

There's your reality. And not to mention the two major parties are above the law.

powerofreason
09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I can't imagine how the judge could justify putting McCain and Obama on the ballot. Whats he gonna write for his decision?

"Well, umm, they broke the law, but, umm, idk, I guess its ok if they get on the ballot."

AlexMerced
09-07-2008, 10:42 AM
oh geez, just accept the two big parties will be on every ballot, you got to pick and choose your battles.

We need to focus on the battles over ideas, battles of law and policy we can't win till we get more of our people in places of power.

For now we need to win minds, yummy minds... and no I'm not zombie... anymore

Bradley in DC
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Question for someone who knows Texas state election law:

I think (or at least this used to be true) that half of Texans vote "straight party" ticket (but can selectively vote for others--the straight party voting just acts as a default). If McCain and Obama were the "write-in" candidates or something of their party, would they get the votes of the straight ticket voters?

Micah Dardar
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
oh geez, just accept the two big parties will be on every ballot, you got to pick and choose your battles.

We need to focus on the battles over ideas, battles of law and policy we can't win till we get more of our people in places of power.

For now we need to win minds, yummy minds... And no i'm not zombie... Anymore

brainzzzzz...... Mmmmmm.... Lol

Rangeley
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM

I think (or at least this used to be true) that half of Texans vote "straight party" ticket (but can selectively vote for others--the straight party voting just acts as a default). If McCain and Obama were the "write-in" candidates or something of their party, would they get the votes of the straight ticket voters?
Couldn't there be more then one Republican registered as a write in, though? I don't think it would work.

That said, this story was debunked, wasn't it? They will be on the ballot.

ItsTime
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM

For now we need to win minds, yummy minds... and no I'm not zombie... anymore

lololololol Ya we should just LET them break the law and mow over us. They are suing Barr to get him off the Mass ballot.

So what you are saying is.... Let them break the law to get on the ballot in Texas then allow them to take Barr of the ballot. Woohoo fascism is fun!

DeadtoSin
09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
That's an outdated article. Within a few hours of them posting that apparently the person handling the election stuff "found" the papers and said they were posted by the deadline.

Kilrain
09-07-2008, 11:37 AM

The deadline for filing to be a "write-in candidate" was the same. If they missed the deadline, no votes for Obama or McCain could be counted (AFAIK).

Kilrain
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
That's an outdated article. Within a few hours of them posting that apparently the person handling the election stuff "found" the papers and said they were posted by the deadline.

Really? With Biden's and Palin's names on them? I thought both the candidate and the VP pick had to be listed in the application.