PDA

View Full Version : Article: Republican Melancholy

LibertyEagle
09-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Republican Melancholy
By Robert D. Novak
Monday, September 3, 2007

WASHINGTON -- During the past summer, a female acquaintance of mine in her 70s who had been a faithful Republican during her long life was solicited by a GOP cold caller as a previous contributor to the party. Not this time. She informed the fundraiser that President Bush's position on immigration was the last straw. She would not give the Republicans another dime -- not now, maybe never. So, she told him, stop calling me!

That rebuff, commonplace in today's Republican fundraising, puts a human face on the Federal Election Commission's cold statistics. They show a commanding Democratic lead over the Republicans in raising money for the 2008 elections. Such an unusual disparity is at once a symptom and a contributing cause of the melancholy suffusing the Grand Old Party as Congress reconvenes after the August break.

As measured by offices held, Republicans have been in much worse shape during my half-century of reporting in Washington. Their party was a mere remnant after the Democratic landslides of 1958, 1964 and 1974. But never before have I seen morale within the party so low. While Republican support for an unpopular war has remained remarkably strong, almost all non-war news during the dreary August recess has been bad for the GOP. The hope is that the eventual elevation of a presidential candidate will revive the party's spirits.

Read the rest here:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/RobertDNovak/2007/09/03/republican_melancholy?page=full&comments=true#postComments

Givemelibertyor.....
09-03-2007, 07:50 AM
People are waking up to the fact that the GOP, in it's current incarnation, has almost nothing to do with the principles on which it was founded. Many people agree with the traditional Republican ideals, but are appalled at being associated with this monstrosity it has become.

I've said this before elsewhere on this forum, but the GOP needs to understand that their numbers will continue to fall as long as they keep pushing this globalist/neocon/anti-Constitutional agenda. They will not accept a candidate like Ron Paul, who has managed to make people care about politics again.

Can you imagine how much they could accomplish if they broke free of the "Hannity" element? No Democrat could stop Ron Paul if the GOP came to their senses and treated him some respect.

constituent
09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
no ma' yeller's my dog.

Givemelibertyor.....
09-03-2007, 08:07 AM
no ma' yeller's my dog.

:D :D :D

hard@work
09-03-2007, 11:20 AM
People are waking up to the fact that the GOP, in it's current incarnation, has almost nothing to do with the principles on which it was founded. Many people agree with the traditional Republican ideals, but are appalled at being associated with this monstrosity it has become.

BINGO!

And either the party "leaders" who have been neoconned over the last decade figure this out or the party "loyal" will remove them by force with real Republicans who hold real patriot values.

Syren123
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I've been ashamed to be a Republican for easily 20 years, which is most of my voting life. In fact, I've voted for more non-Republicans than Republicans for president - only for Ronald Reagan, in fact. The rest were either Dems or 3rd party.

The GOP is in a shambles. It's RIPE for takeover by the newly awakened, newly energized RON PAUL REPUBLICANS.

Get busy, folks!