PDA

View Full Version : Eat less meat to fight climate change

TheEvilDetector
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=627184

"People should cut their consumption of meat to help combat climate change, a top United Nations expert told a British Sunday newspaper.

Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), told The Observer that people should start by having one meat-free day per week then cut back further.

Would you consider cutting your consumption of meat? Is such action necessary? Leave your thoughts below.

The 68-year-old Indian economist, who is a vegetarian, said diet change was important in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and environmental problems associated with rearing cattle and other animals.

"Give up meat for one day (per week) initially, and decrease it from there," he said.

"In terms of immediacy of action and the feasibility of bringing about reductions in a short period of time, it clearly is the most attractive opportunity."

Other small-scale lifestyle changes would also help to combat climate change, he said without elaborating.

"That's what I want to emphasise: we really have to bring about reductions in every sector of the economy."

Dr Pachauri is due to give a speech in London on Monday under the title: "Global Warning: the impact of meat production and consumption on climate change".

Dr Pachauri, who was re-elected for a second term six-year term as IPCC chairman last week, has headed the organisation since 2002 and oversaw its seminal assessment report in 2007 which gave graphic forecasts of the risks posed by global warming.

The IPCC warned then that without action the planet's rising temperatures could unleash potentially catastrophic change to earth's climate system, leading to hunger, drought, storms and massive species loss.

The organisation also won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 along with former US vice president Al Gore."

--

On personal note, I find it very odd and annoying that some vegetarian is telling me to eat less meat to avoid climate change (note: climate is always changing) and then his organisation makes threats about the future if we don't do this.

Nice going.

nate895
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Don't they realize that that would mean less of the offenders would be killed, and therefore it would make more sense to eat twice as much meat as before.

TheEvilDetector
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Don't they realize that that would mean less of the offenders would be killed, and therefore it would make more sense to eat twice as much meat as before.

Yeah, but the know it all vegetarian obviously didn't think that far ahead.

Also, the guy is Indian, in that country cow is a sacred animal.

This is as BIASED as it gets. A man who is Indian and Vegetarian talking about eating less meat.

It's also funny in a tragic and absurd way.

lasenorita
09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
According to a UN FAO report (http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html):

The livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent – 18 percent – than transport. It is also a major source of land and water degradation.

Climate is always changing, but we do have to be more conscientious of our environment and our future health. Eating grass-fed beef is another good option -- it's much healthier for you, too (read this article (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/04/17/cattle1.aspx) from Dr. Mercola's website).

Truth Warrior
09-07-2008, 03:02 AM
I really hope this idea catches on. ;)

It means more meat is left for me. :D

Conza88
09-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Yeah... good on ya Australia... nanny state here we come.

Petrol heads will have to survive on a slab of beer a day at next month's Bathurst 1000 car race.

Police checkpoints will confiscate "excess alcohol" as motor racing fans descend on Mt Panorama, in NSW's central west, for the October 9-12 event.

For the second year running, NSW Police and V8 Supercars have agreed to limit the amount of beer, wine and spirits taken into the racing precinct.

Adults can take one case (24 cans) of full-strength beer or one block (36 cans) of light beer each day.

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks or one cask of wine, up to four litres.

Combinations are not allowed, and no glass containers are permitted in camping areas or within the race precinct.

Police said the limits were fair and would reduce the risk of alcohol-fuelled violence and anti-social behaviour.

"These restrictions are very generous," Chief Superintendent Steve Cullen said in a statement on Sunday.

"Anyone who needs to drink more than 24 cans of beer in a day to have a good time is not welcome.

"This is a sporting event unlike any other with 30,000 people living in campsites around the Mt Panorama circuit for up to a week prior to the actual race.

"It's important we work hand in glove with event organisers to ensure the safety of racegoers."

The measures follow the success of last year's security operation, Supt Cullen said.

Police and security personnel will set up checkpoints at every entrance area to the race circuit.

Excess alcohol will be stored by event staff and be available for collection the following day.

The state tells you how much you're allowed to consume in a day. :rolleyes: Don't they have something better to do. :confused:

Defining Obscene
09-07-2008, 03:39 AM
This is WONDERFUL. I can't wait till they tax meat to fit their pseudo-eco agenda. They got us at the pump, they're getting us at the store. I suppose the next step is to say that theres too many people, they are the ones demanding the meat and accelerating climate change: kill masses of people. I love the anti-human scientists, and the people who have no clue what is really going on here.

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 03:47 AM
The state tells you how much you're allowed to consume in a day. :rolleyes: Don't they have something better to do. :confused:

but think of the children

Hiki
09-07-2008, 04:21 AM
I think Penn&Teller put it greatly "...But cutting back our quality of life is not the motherfucking right way to fix things." (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dhin1TkitUQ)

LittleLightShining
09-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Yeah... good on ya Australia... nanny state here we come.

Well, I don't think the state should have anything to say about it however

Adults can take one case (24 cans) of full-strength beer or one block (36 cans) of light beer each day.

Restrictions also apply to one case (24 cans) of pre-mixed drinks or one cask of wine, up to four litres.

Combinations are not allowed, and no glass containers are permitted in camping areas or within the race precinct.

Police said the limits were fair and would reduce the risk of alcohol-fuelled violence and anti-social behaviour.

"These restrictions are very generous," Chief Superintendent Steve Cullen said in a statement on Sunday.

"Anyone who needs to drink more than 24 cans of beer in a day to have a good time is not welcome.That is seriously a lot of beer! I thought they meant a 6-pack!

As for the meat-eating, or less meat-eating opinion, I would remind everyone to reread the last 2 chapters of Creature From Jekyll Island and the reference it makes to the alleged hoax document "Report from Iron Mountain". Ah, what the heck. Reread the whole thing.

There is a concerted effort to redistribute the resources and wealth of the United States. There is also a concerted effort to reduce the population of the world. What better way to get Americans to eat less food that is actually nutritious than to appeal to guilty consciences about climate change because this sort of rationale actually works on so many people.

There's nothing inherently wrong with eating less meat or being a complete vegetarian, but whenever something like this is related back to climate change it sends shivers up my spine.

revolutionman
09-07-2008, 05:34 AM
I think if you still believe that people are responsible for this planets climate shift, instead buying a hybrid, or eating less meat, maybe you should just buy some hemp rope and hang yourself. Not only will you eliminate your carbon footprint, but you will help to restore the health of the planet as a pile of rotting debris.

Global Warming is the False Flag instigating The War on Humanity.

Alex Libman
09-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Climate change is a bovine feces pseudo-religion!

And the government is the reason why Americans are eating so much meat in the first place! Under normal conditions, the environmental impact of producing something is naturally included in this products price, so things that require a lot of resources cost a lot of money. But government interventionism screwed that up completely! It subsidizes agriculture to artificially reduce the price of meat, dairy, poultry, eggs, etc relative to vegetarian products, so people eat more of them.

How much would beef steak cost without government intervention? I've heard estimates of between $20 and $90 a pound! It seems like a lot, but you're already paying that much (or, due to government inefficiencies, probably more) through taxes.

werdd
09-07-2008, 08:37 AM
How would that help when cows are the largest contributors to carbon emmisions in the world?

Eat more.

Mrs. Farmer
09-07-2008, 08:58 AM
[url] meat production.

I don't have a problem with not eating meat for a day out of each week. What REALLY BOTHERS me is that it seems like all accusations about meat:heart disease, global warming, ecoli etc, don't ever specify in what way the meat was produced.

100% grass fed beef takes WAY less petroleum to produce than corn fed , confinement raised beef and dairy, AND way less petroleum than AN ACRE OF VEGETABLES! Large scale vegetable growing destroys the habitat of hundreds of critters. Grazing cattle only kills one animal per acre a year, and actually SEQUESTERS CARBON!

So, next time you bite into your soy-based meat replacer patty, think of all the varmints that died for it, and the $$ that goes to Monsanto for their skillful genetic manipulation, and chemicals sprayed on to keep down weeds and pests. Think of how your daughters will go through puberty early due to the high levels of phytoestrogens contained in soy.

Look for Grass fed beef, Dairy and pastured poultry and pork products if you really care about saving the environment, and humanely raised food. The animals and you will live longer happier and healthier lives.

Agent CSL
09-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't have a problem with not eating meat for a day out of each week. What REALLY BOTHERS me is that it seems like all accusations about meat:heart disease, global warming, ecoli etc, don't ever specify in what way the meat was produced.

100% grass fed beef takes WAY less petroleum to produce than corn fed , confinement raised beef and dairy, AND way less petroleum than AN ACRE OF VEGETABLES! Large scale vegetable growing destroys the habitat of hundreds of critters. Grazing cattle only kills one animal per acre a year, and actually SEQUESTERS CARBON!

So, next time you bite into your soy-based meat replacer patty, think of all the varmints that died for it, and the $$ that goes to Monsanto for their skillful genetic manipulation, and chemicals sprayed on to keep down weeds and pests. Think of how your daughters will go through puberty early due to the high levels of phytoestrogens contained in soy.

Look for Grass fed beef, Dairy and pastured poultry and pork products if you really care about saving the environment, and humanely raised food. The animals and you will live longer happier and healthier lives.
Well said.

TastyWheat
09-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Despite the fact he's not a global warming expert, and I'm sure only Al Gore considers himself a global warming expert, stupid people will go along with this. "So-and-so is important and he says this, so we should try and go along with it for the greater good." People are way too trustworthy, even when you're getting expert advice it doesn't mean they aren't in it for their own personal gain. To think that CEOs are evil, greedy bastards and politicians are saintly, selfless public servants is laughable.