PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin: Iraq war is a task from "god"

Renegades
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

You guy's like throwing quotes around, so I will.
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

Susan B. Anthony

dannno
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Well actually she was praying that the Iraq war was a task sent from God, and that everything we are doing is a part of God's plan. She didn't attempt to decree that it was in fact God's plan.

It's still a bit creepy.

Renegades
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

I don't want any part in her God's plan. There is no God in some peoples' world.

Theocrat
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

I don't want any part in her God's plan. There is no God in some peoples' world.

Separation of Church and State has nothing to do with Palin's comments. Where did she say she wanted to form a national church?

Renegades
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
You lack any form of abstract thinking. Sarah Palin is a nut who doesn't belong anywhere near the White House. The strife Madison has spoken of has reached our own shores. Is it any wonder people see these idiotic Republicans as greedy, war-mongering, religious fanatics? In Obama's case, he does not invoke god's name to incite others toward political goals. His views are more personal than "The Iraq war is just part of God's plan." I support neither candidate by the way.

Kludge
09-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Separation of Church and State has nothing to do with Palin's comments. Where did she say she wanted to form a national church?

Maybe it should be relabeled as separation of Vision and State, then we can get the batshit crazies claiming divine authority AND the radical Communists.

IPSecure
09-07-2008, 03:18 AM
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

If God wants war, let him fight it...

If God wants a $30 billion pipeline, let him build it...

What? He can create the universe, but cannot build a pipeline?

How the frick does this lady know what God's will is, or what his tasks are?

newyearsrevolution08
09-07-2008, 03:27 AM
For such a so called "God of love", there sure as hell are a TON of wars in his name..

Defining Obscene
09-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Yeah, and it will be a task from God when she loses the election because of her crazy policies and crazier party. Oh but she won't admit that, its too much like the right thing to do.

Cinderella
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
If God wants war, let him fight it...

If God wants a $30 billion pipeline, let him build it...

What? He can create the universe, but cannot build a pipeline?

How the frick does this lady know what God's will is, or what his tasks are?

God talks to her....:rolleyes:

Working Poor
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I think she thinks Bush is God...

Cinderella
09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
i dont believe in "god" nor do i believe in the "devil"....statements like these remind me of a disney movie i saw the other night with my daughter....what was it called? the little mermaid?

devil21
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Palin is quickly proving to be just another evangelical fundie Israel-firster.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/articles/item/sarah_palin_tells_aipac_shes_pro_israel_20080902/

“Now that both the Democrats and the Republicans have determined their respective tickets, AIPAC is pleased that both parties have selected four pro-Israel candidates,” he said. “In so doing, they have reaffirmed the broad bipartisan support that exists in our country for a strong U.S.-Israel relationship.”

Natalie
09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
I liked Palin after I heard her acceptance speech. But like most other Americans, I was duped. She is not a conservative.

dirknb@hotmail.com
09-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I liked Palin after I heard her acceptance speech. But like most other Americans, I was duped. She is not a conservative.

Her acceptance speech lacked any substance whatsoever. It was nothing but rhetoric and sound bites. We were listening to it on Sirius radio on the way home from MN. Almost had to roll down the window and throw up.

enhanced_deficit
12-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Sad note to Iraq war side effects:

Sarah Palin cites Track Palin's PTSD at Donald Trump rally
www.cnn.com/2016/01/20/politics/sarah-palin-track-palin-ptsd-arrest/index.html
Jan 21, 2016 - Sarah Palin on Wednesday spoke of the damaging toll a 2008 combat deployment in Iraq had on her son, Track, who was arrested and charged in a domestic violence incident on Monday night.

Sarah Palin's son charged for alleged attack on his father
https://www.salon.com/.../sarah-palins-son-charged-for-alleged-attack-on-his-father/
7 days ago - Track Palin, the oldest son of former Alaska Governor and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, was recently arrested at his family ... the US population and 19.5% in post-9/11 Veterans, suggest[ing] that the association between PTSD and violence is especially strong in this Veteran cohort.”.

sparebulb
12-25-2017, 11:38 AM
My assumptions are that young Palin was an overindulged local celebrity a-hole before he went into the Army.

Now, he is still an overindulged local celebrity a-hole with a gold-plated excuse....

hero related PTSD.