PDA

View Full Version : How would you reply to this?

JohnMeridith
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I posted the link to the rally page on a local website and this is what someone posted back. Most of his comments stem from selective listening, how would you reply to it?

So I just spent a little over an hour listening to RP's entire speech on you tube. To make sure I could talk about this knowing what he had said. I listened to what he was talking about, and kept an open mind throughout it.

Like I said before, he has the right idea, and is picking the right fights in SOME cases. BUT, he takes an over the top approach to it in most cases.

To start, the founding fathers could never have conceived or even imagined the world economy, population levels, technologies, or the weapons of war that are in the world today? There are a ton of other things they could never have planned for back then with today in mind. Energy being another big one. The constitution, though I think we have gotten way too far away from it, was a blueprint or a starting point if you will. The Government has to evolve and keep up with modern things, ideas, and yes, threats!

RP wants to dismantle the Federal reserve. I could see looking into way to replace it, or modify it to make things better for everyone. But to just cast it aside, which is what he preach's, would lead to certain bankruptcy, and financial anarchy.

Getting rid of the IRS is another one. I agree it needs to go, but first you have to loose all the tax code that already exists, right after you have something to replace the tax code with first! To end all Federal taxation would leave us and our country defenseless. The fair tax, or a more fair version of it (starting at 20-30% is fucking ridiculous!).

The Federal government needs to get out of School? They need to let the states run it sure, but make sure it's universal across the country. Make it tougher so kids learn more. Hold teacher to much, much higher standards! I have a neighbor that is a school teacher. This bitch sits in her garage smoking dope and drinking the night away, almost every night. This chick teaches local children! That's fucking scary. The fact that there is no mandatory drug testing policy to keep people like that away from our kids it an outrage! He talks about Presidents of our past mention in history are only the ones that lead us through war. I don't know about him, or you, but they taught us about more than just war time presidents. And I was in the Texas school system! I agree that more should be taught about our government and it's leaders. But too much is left up to the teachers as to what they WANT to tech and don't. There should allot tougher minimum requirements put on the teaching of our children in school. And teachers OPINIONS should be strictly outlawed and barred from the classroom in order to let our children form THEIR OWN OPINIONS about the world we live in and the teachers slanted view of it!

He talks about going back to the Constitution the way it was written and running the country in that way. Then goes on to contradict himself when he complains about the tariff placed on the Ethanol being produced in Brazil cheaper than we can make it here. Well, news flash, if I remember corectly, there was no income tax back then. The Federal government was funded by taxing (tariffs) on imports and exports! I think taxes being kicked up to the fed from the states too. Federal income taxes came about in times of shortages in funds. Mainly during times of war. Going away after the burden had been met. After WWII they were made permanent. While I would love for them to go away completely, there is a need for them at some level to keep our government going and us safe! But the level of taxation in this country is out of control imo.

I have to run, I will comment on the rest of his speech and such later on.

driller80545
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I would say that this guy needs to listen to the speech again. He comprehends very little of what is said.

Mahkato
09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
To start, the founding fathers could never have conceived or even imagined the world economy, population levels, technologies, or the weapons of war that are in the world today? There are a ton of other things they could never have planned for back then with today in mind. Energy being another big one. The constitution, though I think we have gotten way too far away from it, was a blueprint or a starting point if you will. The Government has to evolve and keep up with modern things, ideas, and yes, threats!

This is why the Constitution provides very clear procedures for modification of itself. To simply ignore it (selectively or wholesale) means that it has been rendered null and void, and you are living purely at the mercy of those who manage to get themselves elected. Once people under this quasi-Constitutional state are in power, they can further change things to give themselves more and more power.

RP wants to dismantle the Federal reserve. I could see looking into way to replace it, or modify it to make things better for everyone. But to just cast it aside, which is what he preach's, would lead to certain bankruptcy, and financial anarchy.

Anyone who can't spell preaches is probably not worth listening to. As with all of his solutions for the country's problems, Ron Paul is pragmatic enough to phase the Fed out. He would do this by legalizing competing currencies, removing taxes from gold and silver transactions, and so on. This would eventually force the Fed out of existence as people came to trust hard currencies over FRNs, but it would not through our economy into upheaval.

Getting rid of the IRS is another one. I agree it needs to go, but first you have to loose all the tax code that already exists, right after you have something to replace the tax code with first! To end all Federal taxation would leave us and our country defenseless. The fair tax, or a more fair version of it (starting at 20-30% is fucking ridiculous!).

FairTax seems ridiculous at 30% or whatever because it reveals all the hidden taxes embedded in our economy. If you think it's ridiculous, it's because it is. Also, the difference between the Federal budget for 2008 and the budget for 2000 is greater than the amount of income tax collected in 2000. This means that, could you undo all of the government expansion of the Bush administration, you would have no need for an income tax. The income tax is unconstitutional, it punishes productive labor, and it is used for social engineering purposes by politicians.

The Federal government needs to get out of School? They need to let the states run it sure, but make sure it's universal across the country. Make it tougher so kids learn more. Hold teacher to much, much higher standards! I have a neighbor that is a school teacher. This bitch sits in her garage smoking dope and drinking the night away, almost every night. This chick teaches local children! That's fucking scary. The fact that there is no mandatory drug testing policy to keep people like that away from our kids it an outrage! He talks about Presidents of our past mention in history are only the ones that lead us through war. I don't know about him, or you, but they taught us about more than just war time presidents. And I was in the Texas school system! I agree that more should be taught about our government and it's leaders. But too much is left up to the teachers as to what they WANT to tech and don't. There should allot tougher minimum requirements put on the teaching of our children in school. And teachers OPINIONS should be strictly outlawed and barred from the classroom in order to let our children form THEIR OWN OPINIONS about the world we live in and the teachers slanted view of it!

For starters, watch/read John Stossel's Stupid in America (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1500338).

pinkmandy
09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
It is very hard to grasp Dr. Paul's points in one speech, it takes a lot of research. I highly recommend you read The Revolution: A Manifesto. It sums up everything he stands for much better than I could ever explain. Here's a link to it on amazon ____________ or if you like I'd be happy to send you a copy!

---------------------------------------

I'd be totally polite. This guy took an hour of his time to at least listen then respond. He's putting himself out there a bit. Be kind and offer him a free book! Make a friend! Adopt a Republican. :D

JohnMeridith
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I gave up on this guy awhile ago and just look forward to the "I told you so".

Standing Like A Rock
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
This is why the Constitution provides very clear procedures for modification of itself. To simply ignore it (selectively or wholesale) means that it has been rendered null and void, and you are living purely at the mercy of those who manage to get themselves elected. Once people under this quasi-Constitutional state are in power, they can further change things to give themselves more and more power.

bingo

Anyone who can't spell preaches is probably not worth listening to. As with all of his solutions for the country's problems, Ron Paul is pragmatic enough to phase the Fed out. He would do this by legalizing competing currencies, removing taxes from gold and silver transactions, and so on. This would eventually force the Fed out of existence as people came to trust hard currencies over FRNs, but it would not through our economy into upheaval.

plus the Fed is just plain unconstitutional.

FairTax seems ridiculous at 30% or whatever because it reveals all the hidden taxes embedded in our economy. If you think it's ridiculous, it's because it is. Also, the difference between the Federal budget for 2008 and the budget for 2000 is greater than the amount of income tax collected in 2000. This means that, could you undo all of the government expansion of the Bush administration, you would have no need for an income tax. The income tax is unconstitutional, it punishes productive labor, and it is used for social engineering purposes by politicians.

well the income tax is technically not unconstitutional per the sixteenth article of amendment to the constitution, but it is still wrong, robbery and wasteful. and why even have a "fair tax?" once the government stops spending so much money, there will be only a very small amount of money that the federal government needs and can be obtained using methods other than any income taxes.

For starters, watch/read John Stossel's Stupid in America (http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1500338).

+5 billion -- that is a flippin fantastic video. public education was left up to the states in the constitution.

TastyWheat
09-07-2008, 07:35 PM

I disagree with that last sentence more than any other. Does it really have to evolve? The necessary and proper clause already provides room to keep the government "up with the times". Do you believe technology, weapons, energy and ideas would be lost if not for the federal government? There is a much better argument to claim the federal government is the cause of lost technology, weapons, energy and ideas.

We did not start this nation with a Federal Reserve Bank and we've even abolished one before. The existence of one is not necessary or proper to the functionality of the government. Even though fiat money is undesirable in itself, you prefer it to be controlled by unelected, unmonitored, and unaccountable individuals? The Federal Reserve System was created under a promise of economic stability and they have failed miserably. I'd rather take my chances on natural economic bubbles, if such a thing even exists.

At the very least the government should exist to defend the country and its people. The cost of funding the military does not necessitate the existence of all the taxes we have to pay. Government fees and a low rate tariff across the board would sufficiently solidify our defense. Even if it didn't, direct taxation of the people is not indicative of a republic and more indirect methods should be explored.

This form of central educative planning is just as bad as central economic planning. You can't put forth national standards and regulations and expect an equal performance across the board. Without the rules and regulation of the federal government the schools are free to try new things without fear of failure and retribution. Under such threats it is commonplace to rely on tried and true as well as throwing more money at the problem. Sometimes failure is the best way to learn and grow and our public schools have been given very little, if any, room to grow. The parents should be the only ones holding schools accountable, not the federal government.