PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Party Considering Endorsing McCain?

Razmear
09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
That's what it seems like after my first read of this letter that just landed in my inbox. It seems they are more concerned with defeating Obama than supporting their own candidate.

Here is the email, judge for yourself.

eb

Sept. 6, 2008

Dear Libertarian Party Member,

Democrats at their national convention in Denver went a long way toward healing the wounds from their bitter primary and seemingly succeeded in uniting their party. And John McCain’s choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will help do the same for Republicans whose conservative base has been lukewarm about the Arizona senator.

But many limited-government conservatives are still skeptical of John McCain. While the fear of an Obama presidency has caused most to back the GOP nominee, a significant number – including many Ron Paul supporters – remain adamant about not voting for the Republican nominee. And even losing just a couple percentage points of the popular vote in key Western swing states such as Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico could tilt the election.

That dilemma is at the heart of the debate which will take place among hundreds of grassroots conservative and libertarian activists who will meet in Las Vegas in three weeks for the 2008 Conservative Leaderhship Conference (open to the public). The overriding question will be:

“Should conservatives and libertarians vote for the presidential candidate most ideologically similar to themselves…or for the candidate polling says is most likely to defeat Barack Obama?”

A couple dozen of the nation’s top conservative and libertarian leaders will address this queston at the conference – many making the argument that the only logical choice for conservatives is John McCain, while others will make a case for voting one’s convictions regardless of the potential for helping elect Barack Obama.

In addition, the three third-party conservative candidates for president will speak at CLC ‘08…

* Former Republican Congressman Bob Barr – with impeccable conservative credentials while in office representing Georgia – left the GOP and has secured the Libertarian Party nomination. Barr is the LP’s most credible candidate since Ron Paul back in 1988.

* Conservative talk-show host and columnist Chuck Baldwin, highly regarded by both social conservatives and constitutionalists. Baldwin is the Constitution Party’s presidential nominee this cycle.

* And former U.N. Ambassador Alan Keyes – who ran against Barack Obama for the Illinois U.S. Senate seat in 2004 – is now running an independent presidential campaign in a handful of states, as well as appearing on the ballot in California as the presidential nominee of the American Independent Party.

The conference will also open up Friday morning with be a three-way panel debate over which presidential candidate limited-government conservatives and libertarians should support in November featuring Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anunzis, Libertarian Party vice presidential nominee Wayne Allyn Root, and Constitution Party National Chairman Jim Clymer.

Also discussing the 2008 presidential race and the future of the limited-government movement will be a number of top conservative leaders, including:

* Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform
* David Keene of the American Conservative Union
* Pat Toomey of the Club for Growth
* John Fund of the Wall Street Journal
* Talk-show host Roger Hedgecock
* Richard Viguerie, author of “Conservatives Betrayed”
* Ward Connerly of the American Civil Rights Institute
* Rich Galen of Mullings.com
* Alan Gura, Counsel of Record for the recent DC gun ban Supreme Court case
* Paul Jacob of the Sam Adams Alliance
* Former Arizona Congressman J.D. Hayworth
* Chris Simcox of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps

The 2008 Conservative Leadership Conference will be held on September 18-21, 2008 at the Tuscany Suites Resort in Las Vegas. Four exciting days of conservative debate, discussion and networking just weeks before perhaps the most important presidential election in memory.

And now you can attend one day, two days, three days or all four days…absolutely FREE. Here’s how…

Register online visiting http://conservativeleadershipconference.com/free.

Or to register by phone call: (202) 558-7162

This opportunity to attend the 2008 Conservative Leadership Conference FREE (compliments of the Libertarian Party) is for a limited time and seating is limited. Conference hosts reserve the right to withdraw this free Labor Day special at any time and/or when the event is sold out. So pre-register and reserve your seat NOW!

Live free,
Signature
Andrew Davis
National Media Coordinator
Libertarian Party

PS – If you are receiving this email, and have not yet become a member of the Party and wish to do so, please click here to sign up to become a member of the only political party dedicated completely to cutting taxes and maximizing liberty. If you need to renew, please do so by clicking here.

GET INVOLVED:

Paid for by the Libertarian National Committee
2600 Virginia Ave, N.W. Suite 200, Washington D.C. 20037
Content not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.

nate895
09-06-2008, 03:54 PM
It doesn't sound like that at all.

runningdiz
09-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Can you actually explain what makes you think they are endorsing mccain? I read the letter and what you highlighted and it does not suggest that at all.

Why would the Libertarian Party endorse another Candidate? lol

user
09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, if anything it sounds like the opposite.

Razmear
09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
OK, endorse is too strong of a word, but it sounds to me like they are suggesting that voting for McCain would be better than 'wasting your vote' on Barr or another 3rd party if you are a true conservative.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong or making an incorrect inference, but that was my impression of this letter.

eb

newyearsrevolution08
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
OK, endorse is too strong of a word, but it sounds to me like they are suggesting that voting for McCain would be better than 'wasting your vote' on Barr or another 3rd party if you are a true conservative.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong or making an incorrect inference, but that was my impression of this letter.

eb

Why would the libertarian party tell you to NOT vote for a 3rd party? Isn't that the same as a chevy dealership telling you to go and buy ford?

nate895
09-06-2008, 04:09 PM

eb

My impression is that they are saying others are moronic enough to suggest that and to go and challenge them.

Razmear
09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Is the CLC an LP event or are they promoting someone else's event that they are merely participating in?
Maybe that's where I'm missing the point.

nate895
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Is the CLC an LP event or are they promoting someone else's event that they are merely participating in?

Someone else's event.

Knightskye
09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I googled part of the letter. I got one search result (which is pretty cool).

http://www.clarkgop.org/pdfs/clc2008.pdf

Clark GOP?

Oh and "Andrew Davis" is nowhere to be found.

Bogus.

runningdiz
09-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Maybe if you took the time to read the entire article before freaking out you would realize Bob Barr will be speaking there. They are just alerting supporters to what its about and what will be going on so they can choose to attend or not....

Kludge
09-06-2008, 04:15 PM

??? Andrew Davis is a real person and a ranking member of the national LP.

Razmear
09-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I googled part of the letter. I got one search result (which is pretty cool).

http://www.clarkgop.org/pdfs/clc2008.pdf

Clark GOP?

Bogus.

Thanks Knight,
That clears it up, it's not a letter written by the LP, they just put their header on it to get some LP folks to attend.
At first I thought the CLC was an LP workshop, not a GOP one.

see also:
http://conservativeleadershipconference.com/

eb

Knightskye
09-06-2008, 04:22 PM
??? Andrew Davis is a real person and a ranking member of the national LP.

I meant the words "Andrew" and "Davis" weren't in the letter. :rolleyes:

Thanks Knight,
That clears it up, it's not a letter written by the LP, they just put their header on it to get some LP folks to attend.
At first I thought the CLC was an LP workshop, not a GOP one.

Welcome.

Can you still edit the thread title, or do we need a mod, since it's a bit misleading?

Razmear
09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
It only let me edit the first post title, not thread, just tried.

eb

Voodoo
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I got this from the Clark County GOP list. Since then, I've gotten it three more times from different names (Chuck Muth, John Shadegg) but the same email address.

It's starting to look more and more like a Chuck Muth scam for cash.

dude58677
09-06-2008, 05:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
< smirk, smirk, snicker, snicker, muffled ( gufaw ), nudge, nudge, wink, wink >

Kludge
09-06-2008, 06:32 PM
//

TastyWheat
09-06-2008, 06:40 PM
If they are indeed suggesting we vote for McCain to execu-block Obama then that answers my question of why the Boston Tea Party and Objectivist Party don't like the Libertarians.

RickyJ
09-06-2008, 06:51 PM

eb

McCain might be better than Obama, but he is still far from what we want so why should be settle? Why should we ever settle when we have over 200 million people in this country to choose from for President? We don't need a career politician for President. That's one of the things that is so appealing about Sara. She is very new to being a politician and has shown she has the guts to take on the establishment. But Sara is not running for president, McCain is. So I would not vote for McCain just becasue Sara is his running mate. If he actually listened to her and changed some of his positions then I would consider it, but that hasn't happened yet.

Micah Dardar
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
McCain might be better than Obama, but he is still far from what we want so why should be settle? Why should we ever settle when we have over 200 million people in this country to choose from for President? We don't need a career politician for President. That's one of the things that is so appealing about Sara. She is very new to being a politician and has shown she has the guts to take on the establishment. But Sara is not running for president, McCain is. So I would not vote for McCain just becasue Sara is his running mate. If he actually listened to her and changed some of his positions then I would consider it, but that hasn't happened yet.

I think that Obama is better than McCain, but that doesn't mean that I'll vote for any one of them. Here's one thought, though. Remember how spineless the Democrats are? We may have a better chance of reaching across to Obama than we will with McCain. That is why our large 3rd party showing is so important - to send a message that we are on to their lies.