PDA

View Full Version : Awesome: Just saw a commercial promoting high fructose corn syrup

Cowlesy
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I kid you not.

It is of a lady and guy at a picnic. The lady is going to eat a popsicle and the guy goes "Wait...that is made from high fructose corn syrup!" and she goes "And why is that bad?" to which he replies "I..umm...umm...I don't...know" She finishes with "Silly...it comes from Corn, and corn is natural!"

Check out www.sweetsurprise.com

Paid for by the Sugar Refiners Association

I just thought it was funny that even Sugar Refiners are on the air-waves peddling of all things, High Fructose Corn Syrup.

user
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Haha how sad.

Kotin
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
wow that really shows the state of america..

Kludge
09-06-2008, 02:46 PM
lololololololololol

RockEnds
09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Let them eat cake. . . . I guess they learned how to spin it a little better over the centuries.

Cowlesy
09-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I just have the TV on in the background....and I started listening and was thinking "What...the..hell".

Seriously...sometimes you just have to laugh.

And just now there was a commercial featuring Gary Coleman promoting "www.cashcall.com" --- which I assume is some stupid payday advance scheme.

We are just winding down the drain into a gaggle of lolcatz.

Kludge
09-06-2008, 02:55 PM
From their "quick facts"

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted high fructose corn syrup "Generally Recognized as Safe" status

JoshLowry
09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Now with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

Emote it: http://votemotion.com/links/3173/

Edit: whoops, just saw it was on their website.

sratiug
09-06-2008, 03:01 PM
From their "quick facts"

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted high fructose corn syrup "Generally Recognized as Safe" status

And the US Food and Drug Administration is "Generally recognized as dominated by big food and pharmacuetical interests" and couldn't care less how much diabetes is caused by refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

RockEnds
09-06-2008, 03:02 PM
They've figured out how to get many of us to die of starvation with a full belly--and like it! Crazy.

PatriotOne
09-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I saw that commercial yesterday also. I ran right out and bought me a ten gallon drum of it from Costco.

Cowlesy
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I saw that commercial yesterday also. I ran right out and bought me a ten gallon drum of it from Costco.

hahahaha...

I can picture you at work "Say...what are you putting in your coffee? That doesn't look like Sweet'n Low." ---- "Nope --- it's all natural high fructose corn syrup!!!!! It is made from corn so it is good for me!"

specsaregood
09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Haha how sad.

No, this is GREAT news. The fact that they felt the need to run such a commercial speaks volumes that word is getting out to the public that it is bad. If people were not questioning whether HFCS was bad they wouldn't feel the need to run such a commercial. The next step is to make sure the masses being brainwashed have the answers to that question, "And why is that bad?"

PatriotOne
09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
hahahaha...

I can picture you at work "Say...what are you putting in your coffee? That doesn't look like Sweet'n Low." ---- "Nope --- it's all natural high fructose corn syrup!!!!! It is made from corn so it is good for me!"

Oh no. Coffee is bad for me. I'll be starting my day off with 3 cups of natural high fructose corn syrup...hence the 10-gallon drum of it :p

jblosser
09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
No, this is GREAT news. The fact that they felt the need to run such a commercial speaks volumes that word is getting out to the public that it is bad. If people were not questioning whether HFCS was bad they wouldn't feel the need to run such a commercial. The next step is to make sure the masses being brainwashed have the answers to that question, "And why is that bad?"

My thoughts exactly.

user
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Right I meant sad as in pathetic.

lucius
09-06-2008, 09:51 PM

+1

hard@work
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
mmmm...

http://www.chemvironcarbon.com/img/sweetners-3.jpg

Nature's Bounty!!!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8770/highfructosecornsyruphfsa2.jpg

Kludge
09-07-2008, 02:59 AM
So... I can just say that I have that beat.

An infomercial just came on a channel I had on for white noise and suddenly I turn to it to hear the host talk about his daughter having a clean colon, and having food pass through her in "nice, long bowel movements."

WTF?!!!

ryanmkeisling
09-07-2008, 03:52 AM
I saw this type of commercial at a friends house. It was a little different:

Two moms with the kids playing in the background as one mom pours a glass of nondescript fruit drink, the other says "do you really give that to your kids? It has high-fructose corn syrup in it." The other mom says, "so what's wrong with that?" Shot of the other mom's face, she looks dumbfounded and says, "well, I don't know"

Then a narrator voice comes on says how it has the same calories as sugar and is healthy and then says, go to this website:

http://www.sweetsurprise.com/

It is paid for by the national corn refiners association and this is stated at the end of the commercial. Their business is starting to hurt as people become educated about refined sugars, heck cosco sells imported mexican coca cola with real sugar in it (also in the old school bottles.) They advertise it as corn syrup free I believe? Doctors are telling their patients and the word is out. There are pure cane based colas available such as Jones and I understand that business is very good for them, they even have a Ron Paul revolution cola. However they also have Hillary, Obama, and McCain:

http://www.campaigncola.com/files/ron-paul.php

I bought a six pack for posterity. It isn't half bad but far to expensive plus I think this is a canadian company.

CableNewsJunkie
09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
It's got electrolytes!

lucius
09-07-2008, 10:46 AM
It's got electrolytes!

I just blew coffee on my display--thanks for the laugh! :D

Agent CSL
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM
It's got electrolytes!

If I was drinking water, I surely would have spit it everywhere. XD
This is the best thing I've heard all day.

strapko
09-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually it is not surprising that sugar lobby paid for this; sugar has price controls on it, if it did not it would be extremely cheap. So when they try to lift this price control, both the sugar lobby and corn fructose lobby go in and fight against the lift.

berrybunches
09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I died when I saw these commercials. There are 2 different ones that I have seen in the same day.

Just when I started seeing on some foods "No HFCS" now this garbage.

dannno
09-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Well HFCS is better for you than artificial sweetners. It's a lot better for you than transfat. They do have a point...it's perfectly fine to put a little in your coffee..

...but most HFCS products kinda over do it... I wouldn't use it in soda or desserts. Cane sugar is a better option.. in moderate amounts..

berrybunches
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Well HFCS is better for you than artificial sweetners. It's a lot better for you than transfat. They do have a point...it's perfectly fine to put a little in your coffee..

...but most HFCS products kinda over do it... I wouldn't use it in soda or desserts. Cane sugar is a better option.. in moderate amounts..

Anything is okay in moderation. HFCS should not be glamorized though.

HFCS has contributed greatly to the obesity epidemic. If you don't believe me compare the number of fat kids before they started putting it into soda to now.

Also there was a study that showed that it represses a natural chemical in your body taht makes you feel full...hence why people can chug down multiple pops in a row now days.

They put this crap in hotdogs, salad dressings, cereals, breads, conditments ect...ITS IN EVERYTHING. YUCK. even in organics sometime, no escape.

Acala
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Erythritol for the win! And a little raw honey now and again.

hard@work
09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKueV7_eXA0

freelance
09-11-2008, 06:11 AM
And the US Food and Drug Administration is "Generally recognized as dominated by big food and pharmacuetical interests" and couldn't care less how much diabetes is caused by refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

Speaking of diabetes, the new oral medication wonder drug ain't what it's cracked up to be, as in increases mortality rate.

Oral Glucose Medications Increase Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes Patients:

http://www.naturalnews.com/024136.html

Problem > reaction > solution often leads to MORE DEAD!

freelance
09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Anything is okay in moderation. HFCS should not be glamorized though.

HFCS has contributed greatly to the obesity epidemic. If you don't believe me compare the number of fat kids before they started putting it into soda to now.

Also there was a study that showed that it represses a natural chemical in your body taht makes you feel full...hence why people can chug down multiple pops in a row now days.

They put this crap in hotdogs, salad dressings, cereals, breads, conditments ect...ITS IN EVERYTHING. YUCK. even in organics sometime, no escape.

Not if you make your meals from scratch. That's about the only way to control this crap. You can do it without a lot of fuss if you cook multiple servings of everything when you cook and freeze in meal-size portions. At a minimum, just make a double batch of everything.

angelatc
09-11-2008, 07:19 AM
No, this is GREAT news. The fact that they felt the need to run such a commercial speaks volumes that word is getting out to the public that it is bad.

It probably means that they got a federal advertising grant.

berrybunches
09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Erythritol for the win! And a little raw honey now and again.

So is Erythritol good for you? I have never heard of it.
I heard that Stevia (sp?) was a good substitute too but taht the FDA doesn't approve.

I don't think I can get raw honey in my state, kinda like how I can't get raw milk.

dsentell
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I heard that Stevia (sp?) was a good substitute too but taht the FDA doesn't approve.

I don't think I can get raw honey in my state, kinda like how I can't get raw milk.

I have used erythritol and have a large order of stevia on the way right now!

You should be able to get raw honey, may have to go straight to the source . . .

Doktor_Jeep
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
OMFG!

High Fructose Corn Syrup is, in my opinion, a very dangerous substance.

HFSC is why we went from roughly 1 in 10 people being fat to 1 in 2. When you see pictures and movies from over 20 years ago and note that fat was rare, yet now it's common to be overwieght and diabetic by 30, HFCS is the reason.

But nooooo. Let's sue tobacco companies even when everybody knows that smoking is bad for you, but nothing to be said about this great deception about HFCS that is causing obesity and diabetes! It's like blaming the depression on the free market.

Of course, stupid sheep are are stupid sheep does, so they sit there, slurp their fouride and their HFCS, then think they are getting fat from bad luck or something. They also share an equal cause-effect breakdown in how their votes are screwing the country up too.

Here is a thread on HFCS that also has some good tips about other eugenics projects projects and the substances they foist on the sheeple.

http://www.awrm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000059

Acala
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM

Erythritol is a natural substance. It has very little nutritional value so I wouldn't say it is GOOD for you. It is sweet - very much like sugar but it has nearly zero glycemic effect so it doesn't promote obesity, diabetes, etc. It is a sugar alcohol, like xylitol and maltitol, but it doesn't cause gastric disturbance (GAS!!!) like most sugar alcohols because it doesn't support microbial growth (also doesn't support tooth decay for this reason). I use it in my coffee. You can buy it over the net. About the only drawback is that it has an endothermic dissolution - meaning that if you put it right on your tongue, it feels cold. That is fine in a mint but on cinnamon toast, not so much.

I find that stevia has a pretty strong licorice taste. You might get used to it. I'm not a fan of it for that reason. The FDA doesn't approve of anything that the corporate elite cannot profit from. Ignore them.

berrybunches
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
The FDA doesn't approve of anything that the corporate elite cannot profit from. Ignore them.

RIGHT ON!

Did you hear they want to put bottled water on the food pyramid?

berrybunches
09-11-2008, 10:26 AM
oh and thanks for all the information. I drink a lot of coffee with sugar among other things. I don't drink soda and try to avoid hfcs.

I will look into this stuff for my coffee and probably get some stevia too

Acala
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
RIGHT ON!

Did you hear they want to put bottled water on the food pyramid?

I love the food pyramid. It is like a billboard that says "We Sold Out!!!" It's a wonder it doesn't include transfat and HFCS.

HutSutRaw
09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
The commercial made me laugh!

There are a plethora of natural sweeteners available today: Stevia, Xylitol, Blue Agave Nectar, Erythritol, just to name a few.

To the poster who had a question about raw honey, you can purchase it online. Just be sure that it's unprocessed and not heated. Here is one site that I've ordered from: http://products.mercola.com/honey/