PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that friggin hard to pronounce "nuclear" correctly?

devil21
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Ive noticed recently that it appears very difficult for politicians to pronounce the word "nuclear" correctly. I originally thought GWB was just a moron but even Palin pronounced it "nucular" during her RNC speech. Then tonite Im watching Bill Moyers segment on Christian Zionists and saw more politicians pronouncing it "nucular"! WTF! Is it really that hard to pronounce correctly...or is it just a zionist thing? It's absolutely maddening to see people in control of the country that can't even enunciate "nuclear" properly.

Say it with me.....new clear. New Clear. NUCLEAR! Argggh! :mad:

Dr.3D
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
LOL, probably people are getting so used to hearing it the other way, they have started to mimic those who said it incorrectly the first time.

It is sort of like hearing people say gas when they mean gasoline. If you go to Mexico or many other countries, when you ask somebody where the gas station is, they will point you to a compressed natural gas refilling station.

Golding
09-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I almost went nuclear, myself, when I heard her mispronounce it. I swear, if I have to go 12 years straight of being threatened with "nucular" weapons, I'm going to go nuts.

Monolithic
09-06-2008, 02:45 AM
well, christian zionists are idiots so not really a surprise

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 03:18 AM
The very weird and not so funny thing about it to me is, if he'd just say, "nuclear" about a hundred times correctly in private, he'd never say "nucular" again. He could even just do it silently while he's taking a dump. So what's up with that? :rolleyes: How'd his parents allow him to grow up that way?

devil21
09-06-2008, 03:41 AM
LOL, probably people are getting so used to hearing it the other way, they have started to mimic those who said it incorrectly the first time.

That's an interesting point. Is it an intentional mimic of Bush's linguistic ignorance just to hold the status quo of the GOP under "nucular" instead of "nuclear"? I guess that's part of the dumbing down.

Hiki
09-06-2008, 03:42 AM
The reptilian structure of their mouths' prevents them from pronouncing it correctly.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 03:44 AM
The reptilian structure of their mouths' prevents them from pronouncing it correctly. Well his dad is one too, and HE can say it correctly. :rolleyes:

newyearsrevolution08
09-06-2008, 03:46 AM
http://www.answers.com/topic/nucular

pretty common

Hiki
Well his dad is one too, and HE can say it correctly. :rolleyes:

I guess he's a 33rd degree reptilian :rolleyes:

devil21
The reptilian structure of their mouths' prevents them from pronouncing it correctly.

Fuck off. Adults are talking.

Hiki
09-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Fuck off. Adults are talking.

Look at Mr. Humourless.

devil21
09-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Look at Mr. Humourless.

So why do you think GWB and the GOP all of a sudden can't pronounce "nuclear" properly? Add to the discussion or go troll elsewhere.

Hiki
09-06-2008, 03:50 AM
So why do you think GWB and the GOP all of a sudden can't pronounce "nuclear" properly? Add to the discussion or go troll elsewhere.

Pronouncing a word seems to be a really big thing for you :D

Well I'd say because they're fucking stupid.

devil21
09-06-2008, 03:51 AM
Pronouncing a word seems to be a really big thing for you :D

Well I'd say because they're fucking stupid.

It absolutely is a big thing. People that can't speak their own language shouldn't be running the country.

newyearsrevolution08
09-06-2008, 03:51 AM

once again...

it is COMMON

devil21
09-06-2008, 03:53 AM

once again...

it is COMMON

It was common for me to hear "nucular" when I was in elementary school. It's not common when talking with intelligent adults.

Propogating a falsehood long enough does not make it a truth.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 03:58 AM
I guess he's a 33rd degree reptilian :rolleyes: And 2nd generation Skull and Bones :p, Yale "schooled". GWB is 3rd generation. :rolleyes:

newyearsrevolution08
09-06-2008, 04:07 AM
It was common for me to hear "nucular" when I was in elementary school. It's not common when talking with intelligent adults.

Propogating a falsehood long enough does not make it a truth.

All I can say is pick your battles and things that need Propagating

mdmarino
09-06-2008, 04:33 AM
I know scientists who pronounce it that way...who actually study "nuclear" things, so they use the word all the time. I think they're pretty intelligent people. It's probably just a matter of where you grew up.

LiveFree79
09-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Look at how the stupid news agencies were pronouncing South Ossetia...........they were saying south osseteah with a hard t instead of South Osseshia?????? If I'm not mistaken the correct pronunciation is the latter????? Osseshia? Same thing with Qatar. They were pronouncing it cutter a few years ago? WTF?

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Deliberate Dumbing Down of America - E Book download is NOW FREE TO ALL!!! (http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf)
Right click and "Save Link As"
Click here to begin download
File is 6.75 MB (http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/MomsPDFs/DDDoA.sml.pdf)

freelance
09-06-2008, 07:41 AM
It's probably a little late to learn the proper way to pronounce social security. Bill Clinton was the first person that I remember pronouncing it sosal security.

brandon
09-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Look at how the stupid news agencies were pronouncing South Ossetia...........they were saying south osseteah with a hard t instead of South Osseshia?????? If I'm not mistaken the correct pronunciation is the latter????? Osseshia? Same thing with Qatar. They were pronouncing it cutter a few years ago? WTF?

It's South O-see-sha I think

moostraks
09-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I almost went nuclear, myself, when I heard her mispronounce it. I swear, if I have to go 12 years straight of being threatened with "nucular" weapons, I'm going to go nuts.

+1 Ughh!!!!

amy31416
09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Didn't that bastardized pronunciation sort of start with Jimmy Carter who has a degree in some sort of science. It drives me ape to hear it pronounced that way.

Aratus
09-06-2008, 12:40 PM
new ...clear

or

nuke u ...leer

or
even

nuke ...lear ...?

devil21
09-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I dont see how there can be debate on the correct pronounciation. The word nuclear derives from the word nucleus, which is pronounced "new-cle-us", not "new-ku-lus".

Pardon my misspelling of propagate. Maybe if I spell it incorrectly enough I can get the dictionary changed to reflect my spelling? lol

tmosley
09-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I think that it is probably a symptom of their inability to ever admit that they are wrong. They can't admit that they were wrong about Iraq, they can't admit that they didn't know how to pronounce a word early on in their presidency, so he keeps making the same mistake over and over.

It's both sad and infuriating.

revolutionman
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
if they can say new World Order, and Clear And Present Danger, then there isnt any reason except ignorance that a personal should not be able to say the word nuclear.

ChickenHawk
09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Just wait till the terrists get nucular weapons and start nuclificating the whole world.

amy31416
09-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I dont see how there can be debate on the correct pronounciation. The word nuclear derives from the word nucleus, which is pronounced "new-cle-us", not "new-ku-lus".

Pardon my misspelling of propagate. Maybe if I spell it incorrectly enough I can get the dictionary changed to reflect my spelling? lol

Might want to work on pronunciation too. :p

Theocrat
09-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Ive noticed recently that it appears very difficult for politicians to pronounce the word "nuclear" correctly. I originally thought GWB was just a moron but even Palin pronounced it "nucular" during her RNC speech. Then tonite Im watching Bill Moyers segment on Christian Zionists and saw more politicians pronouncing it "nucular"! WTF! Is it really that hard to pronounce correctly...or is it just a zionist thing? It's absolutely maddening to see people in control of the country that can't even enunciate "nuclear" properly.

Say it with me.....new clear. New Clear. NUCLEAR! Argggh! :mad:

This reminds me of a funny scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWkh3TtviyE) on Family Guy!