PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why did I have to open my eyes

DGambler
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I've watched all the speeches at the both of the major conventions and got sick to my stomach. I've read about the Fed and have always considered myself a liberty minded person; however, until this election cycle and Dr. Paul, I never really "got it". Does the phrase "Country First" make anyone else sick to their stomachs? Why not "Liberty First" or "A Nation of Individuals"?

Now, all I hear from when anyone from one of the major parties even open their mouth is a bunch of bullshit that is meant to make the sheeple feel good about themselves without solving any of our problems.

Regardless of the outcome of this election, we're screwed. I hate to be fatalistic (I consider myself an optimist), but this country is beyond the point of no return. I try and talk to people about Ron Paul, the Fed, etc, etc, and I really just get a blank look. I'm getting ready to start reading the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, I hope to glean some insight into the upcoming years from that book, are there any others that people recommend?

acptulsa
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
You had to open your eyes because it was the right thing to do.

Furthermore, we ain't dead yet.

Hang in there, American.

dannno
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Nobody buys Crest toothpaste the first time they see the ad. These people need multiple exposures before they are able to comprehend these sorts of things. The media makes it difficult for us, but that's what we're up against.

PatriotG
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
You had to open your eyes because it was the right thing to do.

Furthermore, we ain't dead yet.

Hang in there, American.

Damn Right!

SnappleLlama
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Nobody buys Crest toothpaste the first time they see the ad. These people need multiple exposures before they are able to comprehend these sorts of things. The media makes it difficult for us, but that's what we're up against.

LOL...Crest toothpaste?

CurtisLow
09-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Don`t Buy Crest Toothpaste!! It's made in Mexico!

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=732109

Why oh why did I have to open my eyes
Welcome to the Club! :cool:

lucius
09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I've watched all the speeches at the both of the major conventions and got sick to my stomach. I've read about the Fed and have always considered myself a liberty minded person; however, until this election cycle and Dr. Paul, I never really "got it". Does the phrase "Country First" make anyone else sick to their stomachs? Why not "Liberty First" or "A Nation of Individuals"?

Now, all I hear from when anyone from one of the major parties even open their mouth is a bunch of bullshit that is meant to make the sheeple feel good about themselves without solving any of our problems.

Regardless of the outcome of this election, we're screwed. I hate to be fatalistic (I consider myself an optimist), but this country is beyond the point of no return. I try and talk to people about Ron Paul, the Fed, etc, etc, and I really just get a blank look. I'm getting ready to start reading the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, I hope to glean some insight into the upcoming years from that book, are there any others that people recommend?

Great post! Don't feel like the Lone Ranger...

Scott’s Life of Napoleon by Sir Walter Scott
Pawns In The Game by William Guy Carr
The Nameless War by Captain A.H.M Ramsay
Geneva versus Peace by Saint-Aulaire
The Patton Papers 1885-1940 & 1940-1945 by Blumenson
Fire In The Minds Of Men by James Billington
The Iron Curtain of America by John Beaty
The Red Fog Over America by William Guy Carr
From Admiral to Cabin Boy by Admiral Sir Barry Domvile
Waters Flowing Eastward by L. Fry
The Controversy of Zion by Douglas Reed

Judging from history, the take-down will be brutal.

"A great civilization is not conqured from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

Mahkato
09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I was at the GOP convention on Thursday as a volunteer and listened to a few of the speeches and watched some between-speakers videos. My eyeballs got sore from all the :rolleyes:. Especially amusing were the biographical videos of John and Cindy McCain which completely omitted any mention of Carol McCain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_McCain). The videos made it seem like John and Cindy were practically high school sweethearts.

Truth Warrior
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Why oh why did I have to open my eyes?

Kinda reminds me of Cypher in The Matrix, "Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?" :p :rolleyes:

DGambler
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Why oh why did I have to open my eyes?

Kinda reminds me of Cypher in The Matrix, "Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?" :p :rolleyes:

I do like steak, wouldn't shoot my bros in the back with a big bolt of lightening though. :D

powerofreason
09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Insert "state" for "country." Now its scary :p

STATE FIRST! SACRIFICE FOR THE STATE!

BCR_9er
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Does the phrase "Country First" make anyone else sick to their stomachs?

Not as sickening as "Change we can believe in"

Nyte
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
...I'm getting ready to start reading the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, I hope to glean some insight into the upcoming years from that book, are there any others that people recommend?

Go read this book
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse: A Novel of the Turbulent Near Future by James Wesley Rawles (http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-Collapse-Turbulent-Expanded/dp/1425734073/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220651080&sr=8-1)

$16 on Amazon.com. You won't regret it.

kaleidoscope eyes
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I know how you feel Gambler, it was so much easier back when I couldn't give a crap what our country's leaders and the media were up to, we can never go back to apathy I suspect though.
Drat that meddling Ron Paul! :)

cswake
09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
The Country First slogan made me think of the America First movement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_First_Committee

The America First Committee was the foremost non-interventionist pressure group against the American entry into the Second World War. It may have been the largest anti-war organization in American history.

History definitely has a good sense of irony. :)

Truth Warrior
09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I do like steak, wouldn't shoot my bros in the back with a big bolt of lightening though. :D I think I'm somewhat comforted. ;) :D

jclay2
09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, ever since I had my ron paul conversion I have become increasingly agrivated by the outright stupidity of EVERYONE in this country. People don't recognize that both parties, Democrats and Republicans, are the same and are in for power only. The only road I see for our country is a rocky one that ends with a cliff. Gosh I am in a bad mood!

SeanEdwards
09-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm continually repulsed by these GOP dorks talking about how proud they are to be an American.

This is just a nasty impulse to a collectivist nationalism. Just because some Americans did some good deed somewhere doesn't reflect on all Americans and isn't a reason for all Americans to feel proud. What if these clowns were saying they were proud to be white? It's about the same difference. Most of us had as much control over our nationality as we had over our skin tone, which is to say very little. Being born somewhere does not justify pride.

Doing good things is a reason to be proud. Membership in some collectivist social organization construct is nothing to be proud of, particularly when membership in that collective is so common and freely given by accident of birth.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM

Rule #3: Never blame the people (If the best the people are is sheeple, why are we even trying to be free? Let us just go ahead and bow down to the tyrants as their slaves).

You keep trying to do something great. We don't need to do anything. We already have what we need in the Constitution. The greatest threat to our nation are the people who think we need huge change. The most precious things in life come in small packages not huge ones. We just need slight alterations, very careful tweaking, clarifications and ammending of the Constitution.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Rule #3: Never blame the people (If the best the people are is sheeple, why are we even trying to be free? Let us just go ahead and bow down to the tyrants as their slaves).

You keep trying to do something great. We don't need to do anything. We already have what we need in the Constitution. The greatest threat to our nation are the people who think we need huge change. The most precious things in life come in small packages not huge ones. We just need slight alterations, very careful tweaking, clarifications and ammending of the Constitution.

The Federal Constitution Is Dead (http://www.lewrockwell.com/gutzman/gutzman17.html)
Kevin Gutzman on who killed it.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
09-06-2008, 06:29 AM
The Federal Constitution Is Dead (http://www.lewrockwell.com/gutzman/gutzman17.html)
Kevin Gutzman on who killed it.

But the Constitution is not dead. I can still fish. Can you go fishing?

LibertiORDeth
09-06-2008, 06:33 AM
I want the blue pill...

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 06:35 AM
But the Constitution is not dead. I can still fish. Can you go fishing?

WAS that in there too? :rolleyes:

Nope sorry, it just pisses off the fish. ;)

LibertiORDeth
09-06-2008, 06:36 AM
WAS that in there too? :rolleyes:

Nope sorry, it just pisses off the fish. ;)

Dude you and Ben post way to much... Yours having to positive of an undertone, his too negative.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 06:37 AM
I want the blue pill... You can most probably get one from UEW. ;)

:D

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Dude you and Ben post way to much... Yours having to positive of an undertone, his too negative. Opinion noted.

Thanks! :)

moostraks
09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I've watched all the speeches at the both of the major conventions and got sick to my stomach. I've read about the Fed and have always considered myself a liberty minded person; however, until this election cycle and Dr. Paul, I never really "got it". Does the phrase "Country First" make anyone else sick to their stomachs? Why not "Liberty First" or "A Nation of Individual?"

You are not alone on this. It absolutely creeps me as I feel like it is some not so veiled attempt to coerce us into an uber nationalistic state to continue wars of aggression. They had time to come up with any slogan and they chose this one? It is sort of hard to argue in some respects because you sound like a one worlder when you do which I am far from being. However visions of sieg heil pop up every time I see it.

Funny seeing how the Christian Right thinks that this is such a wonderful slogan. Especially since it is so contrary to the very core of what Jesus taught when he wanted people to care for individuals and rise above national pride. Just one more indicator to how far astray mainstream anything is going nowadays.

The other slogan at the rnc that creeped me was all those bright red service posters. Felt like they should be waving banners that read "draft". This is exactly what we are being marched towards with this sense of nationalism. It really doesn't seem to matter whether its Mr. Bomb Iran or Mr. Change Change Change.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 07:57 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Truth_Warrior/when_fascism_comes_300.gif

satchelmcqueen
09-06-2008, 09:02 AM

i feel the same way. people i talk to about paul or other important things always give me a blank stare with little response. it seems i wind up talking about where they can find this info for themselves (they dont believe me)MORE SO than i do the actual info by the time its all said and done. and of course most people are lazy and cant even type in an internet address to get info on things that will really hurt this country, so its all at a loss, and i look stupid to almost all of them.

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
i feel the same way. people i talk to about paul or other important things always give me a blank stare with little response. it seems i wind up talking about where they can find this info for themselves (they dont believe me)MORE SO than i do the actual info by the time its all said and done. and of course most people are lazy and cant even type in an internet address to get info on things that will really hurt this country, so its all at a loss, and i look stupid to almost all of them. And the good news is, their votes count just exactly the same as your's. :p :rolleyes:

Have a good day! :)

Conza88
09-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Well..... say if you were a Jew in Germany, 1933... would you have preferred to have your eyes opened? ;)

mediahasyou
09-06-2008, 09:48 AM
but this country is beyond the point of no return.

How Can Governments Be Abolished?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/articles/073.php

jkr
09-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Red pill!
Red pill!

SimpleName
09-07-2008, 07:07 AM
"Ignorance is bliss" seems to fit nicely. It is so true, until the government begins literally ripping away your possessions for your own "well-being."

I very often feel the same way my friend. I struggle to stay motivated. It is QUITE a hassle to keep my composure. Screaming at the top of your lungs is a good choice. When no one's home and the windows are all shut, an obnoxiously loud shout of any of the "dirty" words relieves a lot of stress. But if you can't do that, as I rarely get the chance, this whole...hmm...situation, builds up an unbelievable amount of anxiety. Sometimes you just want to give up. Usually when I notice an injustice happening to someone personally or myself, it pumps me back up. I get this fighting spirit shooting through my veins and I just want to start preaching freedom. I don't, because that would in most cases be counterproductive, but at least that energy is there. And I'm usually a shy and reserved person, but when I get angry, I just swell like the Hulk and becoming more motivated than ever.

Anyway...we are going to have to work the system, stretch the rules (but not break them), and urge for freedom and justice no matter what the leaps and bounds. I'm struggling to find a way to unleash these ideas and present others with information in a way that will not bore them. I think taking their main complaints and complying them with other libertarian ideas (which will almost always solve their problem) is the best way to go. You capture weed smokers with drug legalization and move from there, homosexuals with freedom of marriage, pro life/pro choice people with federalism allowing them to simply move to states where their ideas are cherished, and so on. This approach may break down the special interest thoughts running through their heads and make them think of the bigger picture. I routinely do this with my girlfriend and my older brother. They are on the opposite sides of the abortion issue and I have to make them understand the system and take into account the Constitutional delegations for the matter. Don't worry, this paragraph did have a point. I suggest, in order to relieve your madness, maybe talking to people you know about this whole ordeal and forcing them to understand what all of this is about. It is one of the few things that resolves my stress to some extent. Unfortunately, I need more people to talk to.

Truth Warrior
09-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Healing Our World in an Age of Aggression
http://ruwart.com/Pages/Healing/