PDA

View Full Version : The media dilemma

fatjohn
09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
hey,

Yesterday i had an interesting conversation with a fellow college student of mine and it was primarily about the two party system and the negative effects of that (picking lesser of two evils you know). I said that its too though for a third party candidate right now to succeed in to becoming a valuable candidate due to lack of media attention and funds of the big corporations. But he said that was just a free market reflection that it has grown this way and if i would want to change it how would i do that without government restrictions on the media and such? So i kinda want to know how ron paul would reply on this one, because it seems to me you can't have you're cake and eat it two here.

Any thoughts?
Would be appreciated.

Sematary
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
hey,

Yesterday i had an interesting conversation with a fellow college student of mine and it was primarily about the two party system and the negative effects of that (picking lesser of two evils you know). I said that its too though for a third party candidate right now to succeed in to becoming a valuable candidate due to lack of media attention and funds of the big corporations. But he said that was just a free market reflection that it has grown this way and if i would want to change it how would i do that without government restrictions on the media and such? So i kinda want to know how ron paul would reply on this one, because it seems to me you can't have you're cake and eat it two here.

Any thoughts?
Would be appreciated.

The government (aka the PUBS and DIMS) have locked out third parties. Does your friend know that the DEMS and PUBS determine who can be involved in the debates and that they lock out third parties? Is your friend also aware that the government uses a reward/punishment system with the media that prevents them from truly being unbiased because their access to government information will be restricted if they don't play ball.

georgiaboy
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Not that I know the mind of Ron Paul, but here's what I've gathered over the months, corrections & links in support welcome:

Ron Paul would say that the current two party process is in no way a free market reflection. There is currently government regulation, both federal and state, that makes it very difficult for third parties to get on ballets, to get into debates, to get federal funding, etc.

Ron's solutin would be government de-regulation, at all levels, of the political process, to allow for an equal playing field.

It's kinda the same with all the free trade agreements, they're not really free trade at all, but government regulations that benefit some businesses more than others, and actually restrict entry into truly free trade.