PDA

View Full Version : Meetup fees - out of control

voytechs
09-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I've just learned that I've been de-organized out of my own meetup. I didn't pay up, since their warning messages went into my junk folder and I didn't catch it in time.

Meetup is out of control. The web interface isn't that great and with 1000 meetup groups its sucking about $12k/mo (yes its $12/mo for every group, not free) out of our movement. Wouldn't that money be better spent as donation to C4L?

We need a better system and a plan to transition everyone off of meetup.

This is what everyone in my group received this morning. This is bull-shit!!! I never stepped down. They kicked me out.

Mark, who organized this Meetup Group until recently, has stepped down as Organizer.

ronpaulhawaii
09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
www.freeople.com has potential

rs3515
09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Set up a group on Freeople (www.freeople.com). It's free and you also have the ability to do fund raising directly within your group by creating a donation event, which you can't do with meetup.

voytechs
09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Awesome website :) Ive signed up but Im also taking my meetup back and will work on converting those folks once I figure out how things work on freeople.

angelatc
09-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I have never understood the attraction to Meet Up. I prefer Yahoo Groups, primarily because it's free.

ARealConservative
09-04-2008, 09:41 AM
meetup lost its worth as soon as RonPaul2008 stopped linking to it.

As soon as my prepayment ends, meetup ends to me. the C4L will have better social tools anyway.

voytechs
09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
meetup lost its worth as soon as RonPaul2008 stopped linking to it.

As soon as my prepayment ends, meetup ends to me. the C4L will have better social tools anyway.

The reason is, that meetup.com is a brand name by itself now. I still have 5 to 10 people joining every single month, but also have some attrition. So at least for now I've invested $72 for next 6 mo to keep the group going.

As I stated above, we definitely need to get off of meetup to a better system. I'm just trying to hold out until we have a concrete plan which includes migrating existing users from 1000 meetup groups.

I'm trying out freeople and it looks promising so far.

voytechs
09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I have never understood the attraction to Meet Up. I prefer Yahoo Groups, primarily because it's free.

Its not regional and scalable by region across 1000 related groups.