PDA

View Full Version : US Gov blocks farmer from testing cows for Mad Cow!

Matt Collins
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
"A private meat packer that wants to test all of its beef for the disease, and the USDA, which controls access to the test kits and just won an appeals court ruling that the government has the authority to block testing above and beyond the 1% the agency performs (http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2008/08/court-beef-expo.html). Creekstone Farms Premium Beef sought to test 100% of its beef, in order to reassure its export markets, especially Japan and South Korea, that its beef is safe. Large meat packers opposed any such private testing, because they feared they would be forced into 100% testing and would have to raise prices. The appeals court ruled, 2 to 1, that under a 1913 law, test kits that are used only after an animal is killed still constitute "diagnosis" and "treatment" — this for a disease that has no treatment and is 100% fatal — and therefore fall under the USDA's authority to regulate."

SOURCE:
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/30/238223

Matt Collins
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Another fine example of big government "protecting" the people :rolleyes:

freelance
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
They hate us for our freedoms.

Matt Collins
09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
They hate us for our freedoms.It's just an example of big government and big business being best friends. This is why it's important to not allow big government. Big government will legislate and regulate in favor of big business.

jkr
09-04-2008, 09:50 AM
be a nice place to start a nation...lots of land, good resource availability...oh well.

Zippyjuan
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
If the farmer is willing to pay the full cost of the testing, I do not see what the problem might be. Unless the government is concerned that some Mad Cow disease may actually be found which would hurt US beef exports. It is my understanding that the cow is dead when tested (they have to examine brain tissues).

I am not allowed to donate blood because of Mad Cow Disease. Not because I was exposed to it, but because I was in Europe for a certain amount of time during their outbreak. That was over 20 years ago and I am still banned.

Matt Collins
09-13-2008, 02:50 PM
If the farmer is willing to pay the full cost of the testing, I do not see what the problem might be. Unless the government is concerned that some Mad Cow disease may actually be found which would hurt US beef exports. It is my understanding that the cow is dead when tested (they have to examine brain tissues). From my understanding other companies lobbied to have this rule put into effect because they didn't want other farmers testing 100% of their cattle. Why? Because they didn't want to be expected to have to test 100% of their cattle. In other words it would make them look bad if they didn't test 100% of their cattle while the independent farmer does.

Fox McCloud
09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Big business can bribe the USDA if necessary, and I'm sure it's been done and has worked....but if you have independent inspection agencies (or competing ones), it may be a lot harder to bribe them...as they have their reputation to worry about, and they could get sued if it's found out (where as with the government, it's conveniently forgotten, and the public just usually cries "reform! reform!"...and ultimately the next entity is as bad if not worse than the first one).

Nic4Truth
09-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, this is sad but true. I think it is a shame they wont allow the farmers to test. That should be a crime- not to test! I think they are hiding that many cows are likely infected. My grandfather died 10 years ago from CJD- the human variation of Mad cow. They claimed it was sporadic, but that basically means it is unknown how he got it. He did so many things there is no way to know for sure (hunted, ate exotic food including animals/lamb brain, and taken growth hormones we think derived from bovine sources, hunted in Canada, etc...) Even going to the dentist has me freaked out, since they cant kill the disease by sanitizing either...(temperature needs to be extremely extremely high to kill the disease, 1750^ F to be precise).

I have done quite a bit of research since, and my findings are so disturbing. After my research- i will never eat non-organic (prefer to know the history of the company) beef at all. However, the scary part is it is found in other animals, deer, pigs, sheep, in different variations. It is a brain wasting disease.

Meanwhile, they say this disease does not exist in our country- when the group i formed has many members who lost loved ones with this horrible disease in the US. They label it sporadic, but it could be variant in disguise. Also scary is that it is very often misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's and other diseases that exhibit similar characteristics. You can not diagnose it until you have a brain sample, usually after the person has already died.

The disease has a long incubation period. My grandfather was totally healthy and then at 58- he suddenly died in a matter of a month or weeks. I was younger then, in high school but it was terribly tragic. I have been really disturbed by this disease.

for more info, google CJD: creutzfeldt jacobs disease

Nic4Truth
09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
By the way, i heard along the way, that McDonalds tends to buy the worst cows... i knew someone from forums i was a member of a few years back. her sister was a cattle rancher in Montana. She said at auction, her sisters cows were sold to Ruth Chris steakhouse. However, they had to truck in the downer cattle that couldnt walk, which sold for cheap prices. She claimed Mcdonalds almost always purchased meat from these cattle.

Some info:

Check out "The Future of food" ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvLBMXC_D0Q (scary fact: 80% of beef comes from only 4 large companies!)

Here is a direct quote from the aforementioned poster w/ the cattle rancher:

"This might not be the most informational post ever but my sister is a rancher, so I just wanted to give you a little "inside" information. She was telling me about the cattle auctions where they sell their beef. Here is a basic breakdown.

Her cattle is all free range, grass fed beef. She sells all of her beef to one place pretty exclusively now, because they pay top dollar and always outbid everyone...Ruth Chris Steakhouse. Her beef is considered prime beef. So, if you want "organic" beef, you are safe with Ruth Chris. Just some FYI.

Also, they are actually allowed to sell beef that is alive, even if it is not in good condition. They have to bring in some cattle on forklifts and inloaders because the cattle can't walk due to congentials defects, illness, etc. This is the beef that McDonald's generally buys. She said that they, more than anyone else, buy the worse cattle at the cattle auctions. As for the fast food restaurants, the Hardees/Carl Jrs. parent company buys mid-range cattle. They don't buy the cattle that has to be brought in on forklifts, but they will buy the commercial cattle beef. The same goes for most of the beef you get in your local grocery store. That is primarily commercial beef. But of course, don't forget how much beef is also imported as well!

Unfortunately, organizations like the Cattleman's Association is really out to protect the big commercial ranchers rather than the small ranchers like my sister. I am lucky, because she will send me sides of beef, so I can count on prime beef and KNOW I am getting top notch quality beef. Believe me, American ranchers would be just as happy to be behind this effort to have back their ranges as would anyone else, because they detest the whole commercialization of ranching as well. In fact, her husband's family comes from a long history of ranching and they are constantly getting pressured from a commercial ranching company to try and sell their land. They are even fighting a court battle right now because that commercial company is trying an emminent domain thing now!

Anyway, that's just a small glance at what my sister told what it's like when she goes to her cattle auctions. I tell you one thing. I haven't ever gone to a McDonald's since I heard that! "

second post:

" No, my sister does not sell to the public, she only sells at cattle auctions. That's really the only way she can ensure that she can stay in business. It's the way of the small rancher nowadays. It's really hard to stay alive as a rancher these days with the big commercial operations. Her husband's family have been ranchers in Colorado for hundreds of years and they are hanging on by their fingertips because the government is doing everything in their power not to protect them. So much for the small guy, right? They are still very old fashioned in the way they operate. They still have cattle drives, they use horses and dogs to drive the cattle, still have cattle roundups each spring, etc. Really, they haven't changed the way they run the ranch since a hundred years ago. The only thing that has really changed is the innoculations and such.

I don't know if there is an easy answer to this dilemna other than having an understanding of the system and knowing where to buy and not buy from. After all, knowledge is indeed power. I do know that I was appalled when she told me this information and it has definitely changed my eating habits. It eliminated my desire for ANY fast food at all. I guess it's a silver lining thing. I wish I had a better answer for you. Unfortunately, the government works slowly and with lobbyists and such, laws are NOT made in the best interests of the people, but the best interests of large companies. So, when the risk finally outweighs the cost benefit, the government will finally do something. This, unfortunately, is often too late for far too many people. This is why education and knowledge is so important! "

Matt Collins
09-13-2008, 04:54 PM
By the way, i heard along the way, that McDonalds tends to buy the worst cows... Must be for the milkshakes because there sure ain't any cow in them burgers!