PDA

View Full Version : How much do Infomercials Cost?

michaelwise
09-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I see infomercials for the same product over and over. Couldn't HQ have a couple of these made for Ron?

AlexAmore
09-02-2007, 08:00 PM
I see infomercials for the same product over and over. Couldn't HQ have a couple of these made for Ron?

It's a good idea, and I have been encouraging the campaign to make some videos (at least online videos) to educate people about the issues, similar to what Ross Perot did. Haven't really received much of a response.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Maybe this is a good idea for an independent expenditure. Someone needs to make the 30-minute 'mercial, then Meetups (or various groups in different markets who form PACs) can buy the airtime.

katao
09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Ross Perot's infomercials (granted they were in prime time) are the number one reason he had a chance.

michaelwise
09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
How about a Ron Jeramey type infomercial with Ron Paul, on the issues.

Hook
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm betting they are in the millions for prime time national.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Start with the cheap 2 AM slots and see how it goes. If there's a good response, maybe HQ would even get behind some prime time. But no reason not to have supporters in each market go ahead with the cheap stuff.

But someone has to make the 30-minute plug. Even better if two can be made: conservative for midwest and south, more libertarian for the coasts. This isn't something I can do, so someone else will need to step up.

michaelwise
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe we could get a Ron Paul look-alike to do an interview with Ron Jeramey. that way there would be plausible denyability for Ron to distance himself from the advertisement, while still getting the message out. Or maybe Ron Jeramey could do an interview with a cardboard cutout of Ron Paul, and Ron Paul's answers could be google interview answers to Ron Jeramey's question.

coboman
11-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Someone must take this idea seriously and run with it.

1) Ron Paul's ideas take time to explain and digest, 60 second TV spots are not useful here.
2) Infomercials can be seen by anyone with a TV.
3) It can include testimonials of people like you, with a great story to tell.
4) It can reach the people that currently know only about the candidates through MSM.
5) An infomercial can ask for contributions on the spot, making it easy to measure its effectiveness, and also help to make it pay for itself.
6) People can donate via telephone (which would reach a larger amount of people than the internet)

tangent4ronpaul
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
on a slightly different tangent (pun intended), we have people with Ron Paul music video's that are 3-5min long and educational...

http://www.mtvu.com/on_mtvu/video_submissions/

mtvU Wants You!
No pressure, but we want you to be the voice of mtvU...
Are you freaked out? Don't be. Send us your creations, whether they be bizarre home videos, demo tapes, interview ideas, staph infections, really anything, and we might just broadcast them to the world. It's about time you got the attention you deserved and we're here to help. So send us your best. We can't wait to be your biggest fan....

http://www.hipvideopromo.com/services/index.php

HIP Video Promo will submit your video to MTV. While MTV is very difficult programming to secure, we will work diligently to get the video airplay at MTV2, Subterranean (formerly 120 Minutes), MTV.com, MTVu, which is seen on over 900 college campuses nationwide, and Viacom's newest acquisition, LOGO, which is seen nationwide. HIP Video Promo will discuss the different options available and then complete the submission forms necessary to have the video go into their weekly programming meeting. We will also submit your video to Fuse, which has become a genuine force to be reckoned with. Fuse's ratings nationwide have grown rapidly, giving MTV a run for their money. Special attention will also be shown to other high profile national outlets, such as: Music Choice, MTV Latin America, Fuel TV, IMF: The International Music Feed, The A&R Channel, and Much Music in Canada.

and so on...

-n

Matt Collins
11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Contact your local cable company and ask them.

In some cases production is free if you buy enough airtime.

MsDoodahs
11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
The campaign isn't doing one to my knowledge.:(

I've been loooking into how we could make this happen. The issue I ran into this morning is "fair use" and copyrights on footage. News orgs aren't going to agree to let us use their footage.

Sooo.....

C-Span has plenty of public domain footage that can be purchased and used, of Dr. Paul on the House floor and I think also of banking committee meetings. I've not gotten prices yet.

I've been looking at the RonPaulLibrary, and with that I can find dates of speeches Dr. Paul made on the House Floor on various topics, and that way, hopefully get the right material from C-Span.

I've called a few different professional videographers, and the price quotes have been ... wildly disparate. All of them claim they can use the footage from C-Span (format that C-Span provides does make a difference here and I've not checked to see what formats are available to plain old normal unconnected people like myself). All tell me they can splice it together, add narration and graphics, add still shots, and even add crowd shots (depending again on format).

I'm still calling around looking for more info and ideas...and prices...

tangent4ronpaul
11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
It would be easier (copywrite) to use video taken by Paul supporters at rallies, graphics done by our artists and music by our bands.

was looking at one site, and they suggested the best viewership would happen if the week preceding it we did 30 second TV spots hyping it.

another approach is to sponsor a movie, say 1.5h long, and intersperse it with 30 minutes of Paul as long commercials. If the movie is good people will watch, if they like RP or not. This works well as the station gets a free movie to play for it's audience, so should offer a reduced rate on the time. It also helps their viewership and ratings.

-n