PDA

View Full Version : Quote

LibertyEagle
09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Samuel Adams
1779 - letter to James Warren

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."

Reference: The Writings of Samuel Adams, Cushing, ed., vol. 4 (124)

AmericaFyeah92
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
"I think once you stop hearin' 'sir' and 'mam', the end is pretty much in sight."

-Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

lucius
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Samuel Adams

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."

Agree, here is part of the game plan:

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

AmericaFyeah92
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
quote thread!

constituent
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Samuel Adams

couldn't agree more.

Conza88
09-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Dang, nice.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-03-2008, 05:44 PM
The Anarchists are simply unterrified Jeffersonian Democrats. They believe that 'the best government is that which governs least,' and that which governs least is no government at all.

Benjamin Tucker

;)

Conza88
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
quote thread!

I had plans for one... never got started, because it would be too epic.. Hahaha.

http://www.thinkexist.com

libertarianquotes.com (http://www.libertarianquotes.com/quotes1.html)

So yea, I've got too many epic quotes :D will show my best / fav eventually.:)

richardfortherepublic
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams

AmericaFyeah92
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I had plans for one... never got started, because it would be too epic.. Hahaha.

Too EPIC?

U can never be too epic. :cool:

But this thread should foucs on quotes about the relationship between manners/civility and a functioning society

richardfortherepublic
09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
"The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." – Samuel Adams

richardfortherepublic
09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Government cannot make man richer, but it can make him poorer. – Ludwig von Mises

JosephTheLibertarian
09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
http://www.blackcrayon.com/image/EmmaGoldman.jpg

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination.

Emma Goldman, "What is Anarchy?"

richardfortherepublic
09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Alcohol didn't cause the high crime rates of the '20s and '30s, Prohibition did. And drugs do not cause today's alarming crime rates, but drug prohibition does. – US District Judge James C. Paine, addressing the Federal Bar Association in Miami, November, 1991

richardfortherepublic
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. – Dwight D. Eisenhower

JohnMeridith
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I personally view Samuel Adams as the most important of the Revolutionary patriots. He tends to be overshadowed by the rest.

JoshLowry
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

- Barry

JosephTheLibertarian
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
This book is not for children or morons.

The Anarchist Cookbook

nate895
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

- Barry

Already in my sig.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.blackcrayon.com/image/BenjaminTucker.jpg

If the individual has a right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny. Hence the necessity of abolishing the State.

Benjamin R. Tucker

JoshLowry
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Already in my sig.

The second sentence may be better than the first. ;)

nate895
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
The second sentence may be better than the first. ;)

It tees off the already good quote. It puts some poetry into the quote that wasn't in it before. That's what really makes quotes great, as opposed to good or insightful.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.mises.org/images4/garrett1925.jpg

Democracy has proved only that the best way to gain power over people is to assure the people that they are ruling themselves. Once they believe that, they make wonderfully submissive slaves.

Joseph Sobran, The Myth of "Limited Government"

Conza88
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Can I put in a request?

Just looking at a long term view... to save shifting through 500 pages, can you post as many of your quotes at once as possible? lol </thanks> :)

Truth Warrior
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." -- Emma Goldman

Truth Warrior
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
"Taking the State wherever found, striking into its history at any point, one sees no way to differentiate the activities of its founders, administrators, and beneficiaries from those of a professional-criminal class."

~ Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, The State (http://www.mises.org/store/Our-Enemy-the-State-P321.aspx?AFID=14)

AmericaFyeah92
09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
"WHITE POWER!!!"

-Clayton Bigsby, Chappelle's Show

Truth Warrior
09-04-2008, 03:28 AM
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it." -- H.L. Mencken

JosephTheLibertarian
09-04-2008, 06:37 AM
"One must start with the impossible in order to reach the possible."

---Hermann Hesse

LittleLightShining
09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."

"I think once you stop hearin' 'sir' and 'mam', the end is pretty much in sight."
-Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

The Anarchists are simply unterrified Jeffersonian Democrats. They believe that 'the best government is that which governs least,' and that which governs least is no government at all.
Benjamin Tucker

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams

"The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." – Samuel Adams

Government cannot make man richer, but it can make him poorer. – Ludwig von Mises

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination.
Emma Goldman, "What is Anarchy?"

Alcohol didn't cause the high crime rates of the '20s and '30s, Prohibition did. And drugs do not cause today's alarming crime rates, but drug prohibition does. – US District Judge James C. Paine, addressing the Federal Bar Association in Miami, November, 1991

Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. – Dwight D. Eisenhower

This book is not for children or morons.
The Anarchist Cookbook

If the individual has a right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny. Hence the necessity of abolishing the State.
Benjamin R. Tucker

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! --Barry Goldwater

Democracy has proved only that the best way to gain power over people is to assure the people that they are ruling themselves. Once they believe that, they make wonderfully submissive slaves.
Joseph Sobran, The Myth of "Limited Government"

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." -- Emma Goldman

"Taking the State wherever found, striking into its history at any point, one sees no way to differentiate the activities of its founders, administrators, and beneficiaries from those of a professional-criminal class."~ Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, The State

"WHITE POWER!!!"-Clayton Bigsby, Chappelle's Show

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it." -- H.L. Mencken

"One must start with the impossible in order to reach the possible." ---Hermann Hesse

constituent
09-04-2008, 07:21 AM
"You must first lose your mind if you're ever to find it."

I forget who said that.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
"Lenin is not comparable to any revolutionary figure in history. Revolutionaries have had ideals. Lenin has none."

Peter Kropotkin

thehighwaymanq
09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I never had an opinion in politics or religion which I was afraid to own.
-Thomas Jefferson

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.
- Mark Twain

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
– Mark Twain

ShowMeLiberty
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
That's the difference between governments and individuals. Governments don't care, individuals do.
- Mark Twain, "A Tramp Abroad"

...no country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more.
- Mark Twain, "The Gilded Age"