PDA

View Full Version : mccain vote by acclimation

tribute_13
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I was at the rally and someone announced that mccain was trying to get an acclimation vote while a fraction of the delegates were there. They had to leave the rally Immediately. Anyone hear anything about what happened?

hillertexas
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
bump

Rangeley
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
It was scheduled for after 10 there... but if they tried and pull a vote by acclimation... wow.

freelance
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
It was scheduled for after 10 there... but if they tried and pull a vote by acclimation... wow.

The Dems did it, so don't be surprised...

Rangeley
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
They did a vote by acclimation, but at least at the right time. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it tonight, but now? That would be ridiculous.

voytechs
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Can some one explain to me what is a "vote by acclimation"?

LibertiORDeth
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Word.

afmatt
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Speaker - All in favor of nominating John Mccain as our next president?

Neocons-AYE!!!

Speaker - Opposed? * We proudly announce the nomination of John Mccain as our next president.

Where the * is above is a VERY slight pause with little to no time for those who DO oppose Mccain to voice it. They did this at the Democratic convention.

ItsTime
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
so be ready

TurtleBurger
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
They might just skip the "Opposed" part too. That's what they did at our state convention in NM.

riviera1992
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
So why even bother having a convention if the delegates don't get to really discuss and vote for "their" candidate of choice?
This whole election process from the start of the debates, through the primaries now the convention and soon the election has got to be the sham and scam of the century. Absolutely disgusting.

jillian
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
So why even bother having a convention if the delegates don't get to really discuss and vote for "their" candidate of choice?
This whole election process from the start of the debates, through the primaries now the convention and soon the election has got to be the sham and scam of the century. Absolutely disgusting.

i completely agree with you.

it's one stinky clusterfvck after another. disgraceful, to say the least.

american.swan
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM

No No Don't you see. It wasn't really a shame until RON PAUL made some noise. No reason to do a voice vote, if there is no opposition. Only opposition causes pressure for a voice vote.

nullvalu
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Sure is. They pulled this bullshit at our state convention as well. I was an elected delegate, paid my $80 "fee" and drove 4 hours to be railroaded by a bunch of aging smug and inept cheaters (they changed the convention rules on us 2 days before-hand), who were too damn fearful to let anything be discussed AT ALL on the floor.

BagOfEyebrows
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM

They know they can pull it off because the USA citizens, for decades, were taught in schools, heard in the media and even by the words of their own elected politicians that we're a democracy, and that 'the most votes wins it' with no regard for a candidate's record of understanding/following the rule of constitutional law.

They don't even request or claim their candidates have a strict record of following the rules set forth in the Constitution(s) they swear an oath to uphold - in fact, they mock those who do, claiming "it's an archaic document"... it's not too shocking (to RP folks, anyways) that they don't even follow the rules in their own party's rulebook, which is usually updated quite often and 'kept current'... simply put, these are people who don't like old rules or new rules - simplerier put, heh, they don't want any 'rules' to abide by. Who needs rules or a little set of principles to agree upon and abide by when you have a democracy that claims anything goes as long as the majority votes for it?

No wonder our founding fathers warned against democracies.

The RP delegates know this... they'll do their best to stand up for the principles and for liberty, but when you're dealing with a group of democracy-driven folks who don't understand what they are doing to this country and to freedom and liberty, it's sorta rough around the edges and downright creepy at times.

Best they can do is try to compassionately appeal to the common sense of those there... just planting the seeds. Eventually it'll grow. I know it sometimes seems we don't have much time left for an eventually to happen, but maybe, just maybe, the eventually will come a lot sooner than we even thought possible.

Sally08
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
NO Pres Acclamation Allowed! Only VP Can Be Acclamated!

Posted September 3rd, 2008 by fanofwalt
I've slipped this comment in here and there throughout DP, but I guess now's the time for me to jump up and down and scream 'til someone notices (but I shall do so daintily) --

----- PER THE GOP RULES ------

A NOMINEE FOR THE OFFICE OF VP MAY BE DETERMINED BY ACCLAMATION

** THERE IS NO AUTHORITY TO NOMINATE FOR PRESIDENT BY ACCLAMATION **

Go visit this comment for details.

Not that a little thing like "rules" stands in the GOP's way, but our delegates need to know about this so they can yell Objection or Point of Order or sit on their Whoopie Cushions or do all three at the same time if and when the GOP tries to nominate InSane by acclamation.

=========================
The GOP rules are posted in this thread:
RNC Schedule for tonight!!

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/60133
Okay...reposting this YET again.

On September 3rd, 2008 fanofwalt says:

LibertiORDeth
09-03-2008, 10:06 PM

You do know you can cuss on here right?

LibertiORDeth
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM

You do know you can cuss on here right? There's no filter to bypass or anything...

tribute_13
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Great. I was at the Rally and I heard an announcement over the intercom that McCain was attempting a vote by acclimation, possibly the VP, and that all the delegates and their alternates had to leave immediately. The hustle was amazing, good job delegates.

On another note, the DVD's 4 Delegates program had a much bigger impact than I had anticipated. I met 10 delegates total throughout my trip to St. Paul and every one of them were ex-Huckabee, Romney, or McCain supporters who watched the DVD and changed their vote. This is 10 out of the 10 I met. I bet most of the delegates changed their mind, especially with the rally having a lot more support and attendees than the GOP Convention.

Great Job EVERYONE!!!!

orafi
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
You do know you can cuss on here right? There's no filter to bypass or anything...

Dude, he pronounces his u's like v's. It has nothing to do with censoring foul words.

Geesh man, stop picking on him!!!

Intuition
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
They did a vote by acclimation, but at least at the right time. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it tonight, but now? That would be ridiculous.

Actually, I think the Dem vote by acclamation was technically invalid because there was never a separate motion (that I saw) to suspend the roll call vote. Hillary moved to vote by acclamation, but under Robert's Rules of Order a vote must be taken to suspend a roll call vote before acclamation can be attempted.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it. I studied Robert's Rules pretty seriously for a while about 8-10 years ago.

StilesBC
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Actually, I think the Dem vote by acclamation was technically invalid because there was never a separate motion (that I saw) to suspend the roll call vote. Hillary moved to vote by acclamation, but under Robert's Rules of Order a vote must be taken to suspend a roll call vote before acclamation can be attempted.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it. I studied Robert's Rules pretty seriously for a while about 8-10 years ago.

Dude, there are no rules. Get over it.

It's as if we are a bunch of crash survivors about to be cannibalized by a New Guinean hill tribe. All we can think about is that we're waving a white towel, so they can't eat us.

THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THE RULES ARE DEAD AND GONE. THE NEW PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEM AND ARE IGNORING THEM COMPLETELY.