PDA

View Full Version : WSJ on the rally

Bradley in DC
09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
The Perils of Paulite
By JAMES TARANTO

MINNEAPOLIS--"TARGET CENTER BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES" proclaims the sign at the entrance to the Rally for the Republic, Rep. Ron Paul's counterconvention. This prohibition won't be popular among the crowd, which probably ranks the Second Amendment among its favorite constitutional provisions.

Earlier this year, Paul waged a spirited campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, beating out onetime front-runner Rudy Giuliani (though not erstwhile underdogs John McCain, Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee). Two decades earlier, as the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee, he was less than 41.4 million votes shy of Michael Dukakis's total.

The master of ceremonies is Tucker Carlson, senior campaign correspondent for MSNBC. Call us old-fashioned, but it strikes us as improper for a newsman to preside over a political rally. If Tom Brokaw were still alive, he would be weeping. Also on the roster of speakers is Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform. We wonder if the concession stands sell Bloody Marys.

The gun ban notwithstanding, security here is notably more relaxed than at St. Paul's Xcel Center, site of the real convention. There are no metal detectors, only a woman who desultorily glances at our bag. Tickets cost $17.76, but the ticket taker ushers us in when we ask where the press is supposed to check in. We follow her directions and find no one to check us in, so we simply stride in and take a seat. The hall is at most one quarter full.

We arrive as Bruce Fein is speaking. Fein was a minor Beltway celebrity back in the late 1980s, a conservative legal scholar who was probably the most often-quoted scholar affiliated with the often-quoted Heritage Foundation. We guess he'd be considered a right-wing libertarian--a Pat Buchanan-like isolationist. But then he sounds quite left-wing on civil liberties and the Vietnam War, which he denounces at length and blames on the lofty rhetoric of John F. Kennedy. He gets his biggest applause when he calls for the impeachment of President Bush.

"We are an un-starry-eyed people," he declares as he makes his isolationist case. But if that is so, why did we buy into the lofty rhetoric of JFK--or Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush, or FDR, etc.?

Fein's speech is learned, even ponderous, replete with overwrought metaphors and historical quotations. But he is an unfortunate speaker: a bespectacled ectomorph with a nasal, extremely high-pitched voice. The overall effect is as if Alan Keyes had written a speech for Pee Wee Herman to deliver.

The next speaker provides about as sharp a contrast in styles as you can imagine: Jesse Ventura, the former professional wrestler who sought and won the Minnesota governorship in 1998. "I am not a Democrat!" he declares to applause. "I am not a Republican!" Even bigger applause. "I think these two parties are destroying our country!" Thunderous applause.

In denouncing the two parties, Ventura takes some liberties with the facts. He claims that the League of Women Voters sponsored the 1992 presidential debates, which included Ross Perot, and this prompted the parties to petition Congress to create "another federal bureaucracy, called the National Debate Commission," which excluded Perot and other minor-party candidates. In fact, the Commission on Presidential Debates is a private organization and has sponsored debates since 1988, including those in 1992.

We were right to think that this was a Second Amendment crowd. Ventura disparages the idea that the right to bear arms is about "hunting and fishing": "The Second Amendment is there so that . . . if our government gets out of control, we have the ability to rise up and challenge it." Suddenly we are grateful for that sign at the entrance to the Target Center.

We see a few 9/11 "Truthers" in the audience, and Ventura seems sympathetic to their cause, although he keeps it rather vague, demanding to know why Osama bin Laden hasn't been indicted for the Sept. 11 attacks.

As he wraps up his speech, Ventura takes a shot at our industry: "For an entire month, our news media was focused on the death of Anna Nicole Smith. . . . That's the dumbing down of America."

Here is a former professional wrestler talking about Anna Nicole Smith, and a writer for The Wall Street Journal is furiously scribbling notes about what he's saying. We have to admit, he's got a point. It's time to head over to the real convention.

afmatt
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
sonofa....
At the most a quarter full? Somebody needs their eyes checked.

gls
09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
What a garbage article. I'd expect no less from a Rupert Murdoch publication.

Bradley in DC
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
sonofa....
At the most a quarter full? Somebody needs their eyes checked.

Did you notice I "forgot" to add a link...;)

Nate
09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
What a good little Murdochian thought slave this reporter is. Use condescending ad hominem attacks and duscuss nothing of substance. That's right go over to the "real" covention with all the other fascists where you'll be much more comfortable with the mindless drivel being "discussed". No thinking allowed, follow the party line.
This is why the WSJ is losing readers and money. It is fun to see why these MSM hacks are losing money and yet they keep on doing it over and over. It's like watching a guy punching himself in the face repeatedly and still not understanding why his face hurts.

freelance
09-03-2008, 02:05 PM
If Tom Brokaw were still alive, he would be weeping.

Well, here ya go. I quit reading after that. Tell people that RUSSERT might be weeping...

yoshimaroka
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Nice This needs to be a trend for bad articles.

Kilrain
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Kinda funny that he "questions" Tucker Carlson's objectivity when he's completely unable to be objective himself. :mad: Douchebag hit-piece FTL.

SnappleLlama
09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
He didn't even stay to hear RP speak, so what the hell was he doing there?

Standing Like A Rock
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
damn it!! its like the WSJ intentionally send a hardcore neo-con over to report on the rally.... damn fuckin media!!

ShowMeLiberty
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
What a good little Murdochian thought slave this reporter is. Use condescending ad hominem attacks and duscuss nothing of substance. That's right go over to the "real" covention with all the other fascists where you'll be much more comfortable with the mindless drivel being "discussed". No thinking allowed, follow the party line.
This is why the WSJ is losing readers and money. It is fun to see why these MSM hacks are losing money and yet they keep on doing it over and over. It's like watching a guy punching himself in the face repeatedly and still not understanding why his face hurts.

note to self: remember this phrase - "Murdochian Thought Slave". Sure to come in handy countless times in future. :)

inibo
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/alkroll/DogFail.jpg

dannno
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Worst article ever.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/alternative-energy-fail.jpg

Badger Paul
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
So the WSJ sent the "Tarant Toad" to cover the rally quite. I guess fellow neocon Dorthy Rabinowitz was busy yesterday.

Take the article with a grain of salt and use as fish wrap.

Battlecruiser
09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
What an epic fail.

The master of ceremonies is Tucker Carlson, senior campaign correspondent for MSNBC. Call us old-fashioned, but it strikes us as improper for a newsman to preside over a political rally. If Tom Brokaw were still alive, he would be weeping.

Tom Brokaw IS still alive.

Bradley in DC
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Tom Brokaw IS still alive.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good trashing. ;)

RockEnds
09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Those press guys kept taking my seat!! (I was one row back from the press area.) They were pretty nice about moving, though.

Throughout the day, people were shuffling in and out, myself included. When Dr. Paul spoke, the place was packed. Absolutely packed.

Malakai
09-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Good good.

We don't need to give this shit hit piece any hits...

pacelli
09-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Well at least he had something positive to say about the content of Dr. Paul's speech... oh wait.