PDA

View Full Version : Ventura trying to take over Ron's Organization?

Matt Collins
09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Does anyone else get the impression that Ventura might be trying to take over Ron's base of supporters for a 2012 White House run?

Granted I don't agree with some of the things he said yesterday, however I would still rather have him as President rather than the two clowns that are running now.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Jason726
09-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I hope Ron gives a comment on this. Ventura may have a broader appeal and better chance to win an independent run. God... Imagine in 2012 an election with RP and Ventura debating.

dannno
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think he's trying to take over the "organization" of the CFL, but he knows we would be an integral part in getting him elected.. if WE want it..

MRoCkEd
09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't think he's trying to take over the "organization" of the CFL, but he knows we would be an integral part in getting him elected.. if WE want it..
this

Rangeley
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
If he is, it's not going to work. Ron Paul has been fighting for over 30 years for this, and many others are actively working to change the country for the better. Ventura is spending the time he isn't promoting his book, in Mexico surfing. He relies on intimidation in interviews when he doesn't have a good answer to back up his 9-11 views, and has none of the grace Ron Paul exhibits, or B.J. Lawson exhibits (remember when he asked his opponent a question at one of his town forums, respectfully?)

Further, he refuses to work within the Republican party at all... so if he is, he's not doing a good job at it.

rbu
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Ventura has a presence that Dr. Paul just doesn't have. If someone doesn't like what RP is talking about, they just ignore him. Most can't do that with Ventura. They'll continue to listen just because he has the ability to keep them interested. I love RP and thank him tremendously for starting the Revolution but if someone is going to finish it, Jesse will be that man.

HaddEnuff
09-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Does anyone else get the impression that Ventura might be trying to take over Ron's base of supporters for a 2012 White House run?

Granted I don't agree with some of the things he said yesterday, however I would still rather have him as President rather than the two clowns that are running now.

Thoughts? Opinions?
That thought has crossed my mind.
I'm not sure "take over" is the right term but he sure is piggy-backing if nothing else. ;)
I think Ventura is smart enought to know he has a base of support in the RP movement.
Here's my question, is the C4L an independent entity and could it therefore throw its support for a Ventura run in '12?
It's an energizing proposal as we struggle mightily through the next four years.

Chiznaddy
09-03-2008, 10:25 AM
My Opinion...Venture would not be a good person to take the torch. I know more people know him, but, he doesn't seem to resonate the liberty message. He doesn't have half the historical knowledge or philosophical and economic understanding of Ron Paul either. Many will perceive him as just a loud unkempt reactionary.

spacehabitats
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Of course I would take Jesse any day.

He's a very dynamic speaker.
Comes off as a real down to earth shoot from the hip guy.

I would need to know more about his policies though.
I've heard that he is not against illegal immigration or for securing the borders.

That is an absolute deal breaker for me.

I believe that unregulated immigration is a key strategy for undermining the sovereignty of the United States.

It is a touchstone issue.

Bruno
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
My Opinion...Venture would not be a good person to take the torch. I know more people know him, but, he doesn't seem to resonate the liberty message. He doesn't have half the historical knowledge or philosophical and economic understanding of Ron Paul either. Many will perceive him as just a loud unkempt reactionary.

+1

cswake
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Perhaps, but I wouldn't mind because having *one* truly anti-establishment President in office.

GoSlash27
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm very interested in an official take on this. Ventura clearly endorsed Paul, but does Paul endorse Ventura?
They are much more similar than different in their philosophies and viewpoints.
I'm of a mind to encourage libertarian and constitutionalist candidates wherever they appear, but it's understandable if Dr. Paul refrains from endorsing anybody in '12. After all, he may choose to run again himself.

GoSlash27
09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Also as an aside, I'm not convinced of Ventura's sincerity about his proposed bid.
He has displayed up to this point a flirtation with the concept of running without actually doing so due to his (understandable) aversion to media intrusion into his family's life.

gls
09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
The CFL (at least appears) to be an organization aimed at taking over the GOP, and Ventura has shown nothing but contempt for the duopoly. So he probably wouldn't want anything to do with it unless we were extraordinarily successful (and even that's doubtful).

newyearsrevolution08
09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
That is the entire point of the CFL, to allow ron paul republicans and like minded individuals to have the platform for us to find them on....

get passed the one person effort...

I hope in 2012 there will be 20 trying to "take over" the organization and many more.

dannno
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm very interested in an official take on this. Ventura clearly endorsed Paul, but does Paul endorse Ventura?

Enough to invite him to speak at the rally..

freelance
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM

I can't think of any ONE person who could ever replace Ron Paul. That said, I don't think Ron Paul is going anywhere anytime soon. He's going to be right where he is now for a lot of years to come. Look how long William Buckley hung around. Ron Paul may become the emeritus revolutionary, but he's not going to abandon this.

IPSecure
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
2012 Ticket: Jesse / Dr. Paul !

mCsenget
09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I hope Ron gives a comment on this. Ventura may have a broader appeal and better chance to win an independent run. God... Imagine in 2012 an election with RP and Ventura debating.

A tag team duo....

I don't think we should look at it as Ventura "stealing Ron's base."

This is a Campaign for Liberty, not the campaign for Ron Paul any longer.

If Ventura is one of our candidates in the future, that would be great for us all.

Perry
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Thoughts? Opinions?

The trouble with Ventura is that he's so arrogant. Yes he's always attempting to steal everyone's steam. I thought it was blatantly obvious what he was doing and has been doing for some time.
When it comes to Ventura it's always about me me me.
If they ask about Ron it's about me me me.
What do you expect from a wwf superstar?
I support him primarily because in office he makes increasingly wise political decisions and learns from his mistakes. Also he is fearless. His character however leaves something to be desired.

Perry
09-03-2008, 11:35 AM
2012 Ticket: Jesse / Dr. Paul !

Paul has a better chance than Jesse any day of the week. Paul/Jesse.

GoSlash27
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
This is a Campaign for Liberty, not the campaign for Ron Paul any longer.

If Ventura is one of our candidates in the future, that would be great for us all.
Agreed. No matter what career decisions follow for Dr. Paul, he will always be the father and intellectual progenitor of the modern liberty movement, much like the late, great Sen. Goldwater established the tone and thought for his generation.
This is not a mere Presidential campaign any longer; it is a movement. Our candidates will be where we find them, and it seems to me that former Governor Ventura, USN (ret.) has already established his right to be counted among our ranks by his words and deeds.
There are many of us who have also eschewed party affiliation out of disgust at the current state of both parties. I don't hold that against him, but Jesse Ventura is a Ron Paul Republican whether or not he realizes it.
His tenure in Minnesota was both the most popular and controversial in that state's history. It is no coincidence that the candidate we put in the White House (and make no mistake; we will someday) will establish the same legacy.
I say we embrace him, 'troofer' warts and all.
He is one of us.

JohnMeridith
09-03-2008, 12:10 PM
The trouble with Ventura is that he's so arrogant. Yes he's always attempting to steal everyone's steam. I thought it was blatantly obvious what he was doing and has been doing for some time.
When it comes to Ventura it's always about me me me.
If they ask about Ron it's about me me me.
What do you expect from a wwf superstar?
I support him primarily because in office he makes increasingly wise political decisions and learns from his mistakes. Also he is fearless. His character however leaves something to be desired.
The thing that is overlooked is that Jesse Ventura and Ron Paul aren't looking to gain anything from holding high offices in the land other than historical notoriety. There were few other guys that come to mind like them...Sam Adams, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and so on.

IPSecure
09-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Mutually Assured Liberty!

bojo68
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I too have a little problem with Jesse. One of the biggest is the fact that in his Minnesota, after he was Governor, the police state antics and civil rights abuses continue just like everywhere else. All the bluster aside, I don't see any lasting positive effect here, or at least certainly not enough.
So, just exactly what does his record show he'd be likely to do?

Rangeley
09-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I too have a little problem with Jesse. One of the biggest is the fact that in his Minnesota, after he was Governor, the police state antics and civil rights abuses continue just like everywhere else. All the bluster aside, I don't see any lasting positive effect here, or at least certainly not enough.
So, just exactly does his record show he'd be likely to do?
Maybe it has something to do with the fact he disappeared to Mexico? I just don't see a good level of commitment there.

raiha
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I looked in vain for tv coverage of the rally. didn't see anything at all until Jesse appeared on Larry King. I for one was happy to see his Benjamin Franklin face. He could be his rebirth. So ..relying on you lot for you tubes. I'm upside down and back to front over here.

gls
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I looked in vain for tv coverage of the rally. didn't see anything at all until Jesse appeared on Larry King. I for one was happy to see his Benjamin Franklin face. He could be his rebirth. So ..relying on you lot for you tubes. I'm upside down and back to front over here.

This looks like it has the whole rally (although not as high-quality as the cspan broadcast): http://www.beyouonline.com/Rally%20for%20the%20Republic.html

jyakulis
09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I thought the whole point of the organization is to work to get liberty minded candidates elected to office at all levels. I think he was just asking for help doing in this.

I don't think Paul meant the cfl to be some cheesy organization with a news letter and a yearly banquet. It's about infiltrating the damn government with freedom lovers and helping spread the message of liberty....just my 2 cents.

kathy88
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Thoughts? Opinions?

Here's a thought. Lay off the crack. What is it with all the negativity coming form you lately? I used to really enjoy your posts, but not any more.

strapko
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
If this movement is about an individual, prepare to lose.

bojo68
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Here's a thought. Lay off the crack. What is it with all the negativity coming form you lately? I used to really enjoy your posts, but not any more.

Fungus of the Humungus, don't know who you are, but your presence sure brings joy to the world.

Make ya a deal, I'd really like to NOT know who you are either.

Leroy_Jenkems
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Ventura has a presence that Dr. Paul just doesn't have. If someone doesn't like what RP is talking about, they just ignore him. Most can't do that with Ventura. They'll continue to listen just because he has the ability to keep them interested. I love RP and thank him tremendously for starting the Revolution but if someone is going to finish it, Jesse will be that man.

My thoughts exactly. Jesse has "that" presence...booming voice, very direct, commands attention.

Ron's message, integrity and philosophy are completely sublime, but Jesse has more of the 'X' factor that everyone (especially fickle people who vote based on emotion, body language and all that BS) is drawn to.

bojo68
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, I'm old. So, ya know that I know that brains don't impress the general public. But is it to much to ask, that when starting a new movement, that the people put forth actually have both brains and IQ???
I don't know about you people, but personally, I'm damn tired of never ending morons for candidates.
If we're going to build a NEW movement, how about let's incorporate some brains and integrity into it?
Right NOW, we have that ability...:)

Matt Collins
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Here's a thought. Lay off the crack. What is it with all the negativity coming form you lately? I used to really enjoy your posts, but not any more.Here's a thought... what's with the personal attacks? :confused:

Is there a problem with me asking an open ended question and asking people what their thought's are? Have I even stated an opinion on the subject?:rolleyes:

Matt Collins
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure "take over" is the right term but he sure is piggy-backing if nothing else. Piggy backing is a good term, so is "hi-jacking". Again it's just a feeling I got yesterday and even if he is, I don't know how I feel about it. Honestly I don't know much about Ventura or his stances on things. But I do think he gave a great speech yesterday that really energized the crowd.

bojo68
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Piggy backing is a good term, so is "hi-jacking". Again it's just a feeling I got yesterday and even if he is, I don't know how I feel about it. Honestly I don't know much about Ventura or his stances on things. But I do think he gave a great speech yesterday that really energized the crowd.

Jesse's kinda ok, but you know what, you wanna know what's been missing from any candidate for decades? both brains and integrity. Jesse, to me at least, is to much all "me, me, Me". Now Run a Gary Johnson/Andrew Napolitano ticket, and you'll beat down the doors of the world.

Matt Collins
09-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Now Run a Gary Johnson/Andrew Napolitano ticket, and you'll beat down the doors of the world.I would LOVE to have seen the Judge at the rally. I e-mailed him and asked if he would be there and he said he would not. I think he was invited but could't make it for whatever reason. When one does a daily radio show it's though to break away from that.

kathy88
09-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Here's a thought... what's with the personal attacks? :confused:

Is there a problem with me asking an open ended question and asking people what their thought's are? Have I even stated an opinion on the subject?:rolleyes:

I guess it was the "reporting" from the summit, Matt, to be truthful. There are other threads you started more deserving of my comments, to be sure, but I had neither the inclination nor the stomache to go through your posts and find them. I strongly feel there is some other motivation driving you. Nothing is good enough, no speaker is good enough, you are overly critical of everything. This is a grassroots effort just getting off the ground. There will be ideas tossed around until some form of organization grows from that. I think you are overly critical, and for me it is getting old. That was the point I was trying, but failed to make. Let this thing unfold without the world according to Matt. With regard to this specific thread. I don't think Ventura was trying to do anything other than give hes speech and rile up the troops, so to speak. You suggested something rather underhanded which I feel was unnecessary. I apologize for the crack comment. I get very little speel these days, and I'm of short temper.

Matt Collins
09-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I strongly feel there is some other motivation driving you. Well unfortunately you are incorrect. My only goal is to change the country for the better. Currently it looks like the CFL and the goals it lists seem to be the best vehicle in place to do this sort of thing.

Nothing is good enough, no speaker is good enough, you are overly critical of everything. Woah. That is not true. I thought a lot of the program was very very well done. Keep in mind that I put on professional events for a living so I have an idea better than most of what is well done and what isn't.

I think you are overly critical, and for me it is getting old. Let this thing unfold without the world according to Matt. Sorry if you don't like constructive criticism then feel free to ignore my posts.

You suggested something rather underhanded which I feel was unnecessary. Not underhanded, but strategic. I am looking at the long-term strategy of Ventura. It looks like he wants to use us to get him a good run at the White House in 2012. He didn't really say that, but that's what it looks like to me.

I don't think there is much of anything wrong with that, but I don't know that much about Ventura.

I apologize for the crack comment. I get very little speel these days, and I'm of short temper.Thank you. It's welcome. I appreciate you disagreeing without being disagreeable.

nullvalu
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I think he's a good spokesperson. He's intimidating and convincing in his arguments. However, I can't get past the feeling that he seems like a self-serving opportunist.

nullvalu
09-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Now Run a Gary Johnson/Andrew Napolitano ticket, and you'll beat down the doors of the world.

Now that's a ticket I could get very excited about. Napolitano is a great speaker.... I'm sure most of you have seen his speech from the FFF Conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QwTKKSvR8)?

V3n
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
2012 is 3 1/2 years away.. If Jesse Ventura speaking at Ron Paul's convention is the start of a beautiful friendship then there is plenty of time for Ron Paul's humility and core beliefs to have an impact on Ventura.

With Ventura's charisma and media savvy, combined with Ron Paul's mentor ship and tutelage, great things could happen in 2012.

Matt Collins
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
2012 is 3 1/2 years away.. If Jesse Ventura speaking at Ron Paul's convention is the start of a beautiful friendship then there is plenty of time for Ron Paul's humility and core beliefs to have an impact on Ventura.

With Ventura's charisma and media savvy, combined with Ron Paul's mentor ship and tutelage, great things could happen in 2012.That would be the ideal outcome.

MRoCkEd
09-04-2008, 03:25 PM

With Ventura's charisma and media savvy, combined with Ron Paul's mentor ship and tutelage, great things could happen in 2012.
Yeah - Ventura has nowhere near the grasp of economics that Dr. Paul does. This is the one issue we can influence him with. He recognizes that we need to keep taxes low, reduce government spending (no foreign wars or aid), and tackle the debt - we just need him to learn more about the federal reserve, free-markets, etc.

Really, Jesse is on par with almost all of RP's message.
Anti-War, Pro-Civil Liberties, Personal Responsibility, etc.

He's a great spokesperson - He got more airtime on his book tour than Ron Paul did for a year

A. Havnes
09-04-2008, 04:49 PM

I actually find Dr. Paul much more charismatic than Ventura. Ventura uses average layman vocabulary, but Ron Paul comes off as much more passionate.

However, if Ventura ran for president, I'd vote for him...unless it was him vs. Ron Paul.

RevolutionSD
09-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Thoughts? Opinions?

What didn't you agree with?

Ventura is too much of a statist for my tastes but I thought his speech was great.

Jeremy
09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Matt Collins is right. And the truth is that Ventura is clueless on almost every issue. He is no libertarian. Look at what he did as governor.

If you agree with me, please make this pledge: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=153625

DFF
09-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Which is why he needs to A)spend the next four years studying his ass off underneath the master and B)clean up his appearance. Then, and ONLY then, will he be ready...

BeFranklin
09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Of course I would take Jesse any day.

He's a very dynamic speaker.
Comes off as a real down to earth shoot from the hip guy.

I would need to know more about his policies though.
I've heard that he is not against illegal immigration or for securing the borders.

That is an absolute deal breaker for me.

I believe that unregulated immigration is a key strategy for undermining the sovereignty of the United States.

It is a touchstone issue.

Lol, is that an old L5 image in your avator?

VoteForRonPaul
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Ventura trying to take over Ron's Organization?
Actually we are the ones who are trying to get Ventura to take over Ron's Org and not him.

RickyJ
09-05-2008, 12:01 AM
He relies on intimidation in interviews when he doesn't have a good answer to back up his 9-11 views

OK dude put up or shutup. Let's see some of this so-called intimidation when you claim he doesn't have a good answer to back up is 9/11 views. I highly doubt you have any.

jmdrake
09-05-2008, 12:19 AM
OK dude put up or shutup. Let's see some of this so-called intimidation when you claim he doesn't have a good example to back up is 9/11 views. I highly doubt you have any.

Governor Ventura pointing out that he is a demolition expert is obviously a means of intimidation. Only people who come on forums and anonymously attack 9/11 are allowed to use the "I'm an expert and I know a controlled demolition when I see one" argument. ;)

rbu
09-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Governor Ventura pointing out that he is a demolition expert is obviously a means of intimidation. Only people who come on forums and anonymously attack 9/11 are allowed to use the "I'm an expert and I know a controlled demolition when I see one" argument. ;)

The truth is intimidating only to those who refuse to accept it.
http://www.navyseals.com/jesse-ventura

jmdrake
09-05-2008, 12:37 AM

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think Governor Ventura has decided to run yet and if he does decide to run it will be on his own terms. Case in point his "let the chips fall where the may" attitude on 9/11. He brings a lot to the table. He did win a statewide office (something neither Ron Paul, Bob Barr nor Chuck Baldwin has done) and he's a household name that the media wouldn't be able to ignore. Also nobody can "smear him" on 9/11 since his views are already known. It's like trying to smear Bill Clinton for being a womanizer. What effectively killed John Edwards career didn't bother Bill Clinton because nobody expected better of "slick willy".

Regards,

John M. Drake

Raditude
09-05-2008, 05:31 AM
(I didn't read through all the pages.)

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm not sure. It seems that he may want to get the Ron Paul supporters on his side, but I don't think his motive is to take the supporters away from Ron Paul. I think he wants to sort of carry on Ron Paul's message, and is hoping for a blessing from Ron Paul, or a mutual endorsement later on. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

Matt Collins
09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't think Governor Ventura has decided to run yet and if he does decide to run it will be on his own terms. Case in point his "let the chips fall where the may" attitude on 9/11. He brings a lot to the table. He did win a statewide office (something neither Ron Paul, Bob Barr nor Chuck Baldwin has done) and he's a household name that the media wouldn't be able to ignore. Also nobody can "smear him" on 9/11 since his views are already known. It's like trying to smear Bill Clinton for being a womanizer. What effectively killed John Edwards career didn't bother Bill Clinton because nobody expected better of "slick willy".Very good point John. How is law school working out for ya?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Ventura can't take us over any more than McCain can. It's us that will decide.

speciallyblend
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
gladly support ventura in 2012 and i would do the same for ventura as i did for ron paul:) passing the torch ,to him is better then some corrupt gop party hack

jmdrake
09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Very good point John. How is law school working out for ya?

Put it this way. The most encouraging thing I've heard so far is that year 1 is the hardest. :D

porcupine
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, I think Ventura is an opportunist trying to take over the organization. Jesse Ventura is for Jesse Ventura.

PatriotOne
09-05-2008, 08:57 PM

"Take over"? You make it sound like a hostile hijacking. Your such an asshat Matt.

Josh_LA
09-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Thoughts? Opinions?
There is no committed base.

If both there's a Republican like Ron Paul, or a Libertarian, or a Jesse Ventura, I am more than faithful they'll work together for as long as possible.

Clearly that's what we have done (and should do more) in 2008.

I'm voting 3rd party even if the candidate is a murderer, rapist or child molester. The point isn't to win (yet), it's to show you can undermine the two party system.

Matt Collins
09-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Your such an asshat Matt.Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

"Take over"? You make it sound like a hostile hijacking. Yes, that's what it feels like to me. But that doesn't mean I disagree with it or oppose it. Honestly I don't know much about Ventura other than he gave a good speech and looks like Ben Franklin.

Perhaps it's time for the liberty movement to have another figurehead or candidate to get behind besides Ron? I don't know. That's why I posted it here so that it could be discussed.

I would honestly rather see Ventura in office than either of the two clowns that are running now.

Micah Dardar
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM

Thoughts? Opinions?

I like Jesse, and I would vote for him if he was my best choice, but I don't think that he is the sharpest tool in the shed. If Ron Paul doesn't run in 2012, I would hope that Gary Johnson would. He is young enough and smart enough to carry the torch. He climbed Mt Everest. That's the kind of determination that I want to see in our future!

Micah Dardar
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Jesse is looking a lot like Benjamin Franklin in his old age, though!