PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul and Ross Perot

jillian
09-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I have been talking to my mom about the good doctor for over a year now and she doesn't get it. Total Hannity/OReilly fan and what they say is like gold to her. I helped with the money bombs, went to rally's, and was a caucus speaker. Throughout all of this she has been really defiant in listening to his ideas and in fact, rather argumentative on certain issues like Iraq, Iran, IRS, etc.

Last night she agreed to watch the rally on C-Span and I was stoked! I just spoke with her and asked her what she thought. This is what she said to me:

"He sounds a lot like Ross Perot. You know this is the same message he had when he was running for president...":eek: WTF??? Am I missing something here?

Someone please explain to me what she could be talking about.

One other thing, this entire primary season she told me about how she supported Perot and gave the presidency to Clinton, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't understand how she could watch Dr. Paul's speech last night and honestly say that it's Ross Perot's platform!!!

Kade
09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I have been talking to my mom about the good doctor for over a year now and she doesn't get it. Total Hannity/OReilly fan and what they say is like gold to her. I helped with the money bombs, went to rally's, and was a caucus speaker. Throughout all of this she has been really defiant in listening to his ideas and in fact, rather argumentative on certain issues like Iraq, Iran, IRS, etc.

Last night she agreed to watch the rally on C-Span and I was stoked! I just spoke with her and asked her what she thought. This is what she said to me:

"He sounds a lot like Ross Perot. You know this is the same message he had when he was running for president...":eek: WTF??? Am I missing something here?

Someone please explain to me what she could be talking about.

One other thing, this entire primary season she told me about how she supported Perot and gave the presidency to Clinton, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I don't understand how she could watch Dr. Paul's speech last night and honestly say that it's Ross Perot's platform!!!

Perot also enjoyed support from populist resentment towards establishment candidates. His platform does not match closely with Paul's.

specsaregood
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Perot also enjoyed support from populist resentment towards establishment candidates. His platform does not match closely with Paul's.

I disagree. IIRC, their platforms had a lot of superficial similarities (treatments) but the root cause/diagnosis is what was different.

Kade
09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I disagree. IIRC, their platforms had a lot of superficial similarities (treatments) but the root cause/diagnosis is what was different.

I apologize.

I was under the impression that a strictly pro-choice platform that emphasized an expansion of the war on drugs, the Environmental Protection Agency, Gas tax increase, and balancing the budget would be in opposition to Ron Paul.

specsaregood
09-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I apologize.

I was under the impression that a strictly pro-choice platform that emphasized an expansion of the war on drugs, the Environmental Protection Agency, Gas tax increase, and balancing the budget would be in opposition to Ron Paul.

You think "balancing the budget" is in opposition to Ron Paul? He has often said he has never voted for an unbalanced budget. In fact the budget deficit was a huge plank in both candidate's platforms. Also opposition to NAFTA, (perot was a protectionist though, but paul was against it for sovereignty reasons). Not to mention opposition to gun control. I don't think RP necessarily would be against a gas tax as it would be an excise tax and those are constitutional whereas the income tax is not. There are a number of other superficial agreements between the two, but like I said, their diagnosis were different.

Kade
09-03-2008, 08:00 AM
You think "balancing the budget" is in opposition to Ron Paul? He has often said he has never voted for an unbalanced budget. In fact the budget deficit was a huge plank in both candidate's platforms. Also opposition to NAFTA, (perot was a protectionist though, but paul was against it for sovereignty reasons). Not to mention opposition to gun control. I don't think RP necessarily would be against a gas tax as it would be an excise tax and those are constitutional whereas the income tax is not. There are a number of other superficial agreements between the two, but like I said, their diagnosis were different.

I said I was sorry... wtf don't you get about that?

specsaregood
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I said I was sorry... wtf don't you get about that?

No need to get bent out of shape. I thought your reply was meant to be sarcastic. Cheers!

Conza88
09-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Show her Outfoxed.... and tell her it's hilarious. (not why)

Don't try and force it on her....

If it all fails.. and you are at a LOSS...

My recommendations:

- You head over to the Must See Movies thread.. You know your mom better than anyone else... so you've got to study what her cognitive dissonance is.

So.. have a movie night; make sure you don't make it obvious - like it's a setup by you, lol... You could also leave burned copies or buy the dvd's, leave them around the dvd player. Out in the open... she'll take a look - peaked with interest, may watch one.. Then another ;)

Ok, so Fox News junkie....? okay; so you could try anti-war....
or why not some classic anti-state... 1984.., or Lord of War, Joyeux Noel, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Wag the Dog, V for Vendetta? :p

Links to A Blueprint for Wake Up, and Must See Movies in the sig. ;)

jillian
09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
so obviously there are some similarities between the two. I know very little about perot but I would never think to compare the two...

good idea on the movies! my brother has been trying to get her to watch zeitgeist :rolleyes:

i like your suggestions better.