PDA

View Full Version : National Journal reports: GOP Braces For Possible Mini-Rebellion By Ron Paul Backers

HOLLYWOOD
09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Referred to as ANARCHISTS... SWAT Teams and Secret Service and probably BLACKWATER MERCENARIES will be READY! Lookout

CONVENTION
GOP Braces For Possible Mini-Rebellion By Ron Paul Backers

Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2008

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congressdaily/cd_20080902_3989.php?related=true&story1=co_20080902_3729&story2=cd_20080902_6921&story3=cd_20080902_3989 (http://www.nationaljournal.com/congressdaily/cd_20080902_3989.php?related=true&story1=co_20080902_3729&story2=cd_20080902_6921&story3=cd_20080902_3989)

***Republican National Convention officials are preparing for any potential floor disruptions, with particular concerns about the possibility of disgruntled protests from delegates for GOP presidential also-ran Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, according to GOP sources.

The sources stressed they are preparing for any floor problems, not just from a few "anarchist"-minded Paul supporters who are difficult to reason with. But other convention attendees who declined to be named said that a small minority of Paul delegates have not been shy about their intentions for mischief.

"I don't want to overstate the issue, as most of them won't be a problem and certainly our hope is none of them are a problem." said one GOP source. "But if you go about town and run into them, they aren't shy about their intentions."

Neither the Republican National Convention officials nor McCain campaign returned requests to comment for this story on the record, but a spokesman for the Paul campaign acknowledged the potential for some of the 260 delegates they consider to be backing the lawmaker to cause problems. A small minority has said they are in favor of disrupting floor proceedings. Nevertheless, the spokesman stressed that if any problems occur, they have nothing to do with Paul or his staff.

"We've been encouraging our supporters to have an active, positive and respectful presence at the convention," said Paul's spokesman. "That has been our position the entire time and that is what we expect and hope will happen. There are some of the delegates that are sympathetic to Dr. Paul that feel they have been treated unfairly. At the same time, we don't feel it is appropriate to be disrespectful."

Unlike the members of the liberal, anti-war group Code Pink, who snuck onto the Republicans convention floor in New York in 2004 using media credentials and were promptly removed when they started protesting, the Paul delegates have a right to be at the event under convention rules.

However, the convention is operating under the floor rules of the House of Representatives, and designated sergeant-at-arms officials have been empowered to yank the credentials of anyone who violates the "breaches of decorum" standard established in those rules.

If a band of Paul delegates becomes disruptive, sources said, the problem is in the political inclinations of some Paul supporters, many of whom are not mainstream Republicans. Nevertheless, one convention official said, it was important to realize that even if any delegates step out of line and cause problems on the floor, they are out step with the vast majority of Republicans at the event, who understand the need for unity going forward into November.

"That's the real story, everyone coming together behind McCain," said the official.

by Christian Bourge

constituent
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
lol, we can pay for the god damned thing though...

w/ever.

RJB
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Watch out for the "GOP Brownshirts."
http://www.johnmccainforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1832

HOLLYWOOD
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM

So the RPF member that called in on the McCain phone line to C-SPAN this evening was right...

We need Martial Law & CONCENTRATION CAMPS for Americans! :rolleyes:

Orgoonian
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM

OMG,that site is a hoot!:D

Highland
09-02-2008, 08:11 PM
omg...that is disgusting..and they call us the problem. At least we are peaceful.

jkr
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
what are the people there for if they cant speak thier minds?

wow

kathy88
09-03-2008, 04:01 AM
"the problem is in the political inclinations of some Paul supporters, many of whom are not mainstream Republicans"

what a nice compliment

BigD
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
they handed this magazine out to every delegate at the convention. some of us delegates swear we were being followed around the convention the entire time. I know i was being followed the entire time and even confronted the people (security) that was following me. of course they denied it while giving me the typical G. Bush smirk, but i still know we were being followed

pauletteNV
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Here's the deal. If you are a Republican in good standing, i.e. you've donated heavily, you might be entitled to a delegate seat at the national convention. At that convention, you are expected to act in a "suit" manner, and enjoy all the costly back-slapping and tomfoolery, while voting exactly as the inner circle has decided you should. You are not entitled to your own thoughts, your own concerns, nor your own voice. You are expected to invest $2,000 to $5,000 of your own money to attend this staged event. What a ripoff. The Rally for the Republic at $17.76, plus travel expenses was so far superior in value that the RNC should be very, very nervous, imo.

IPSecure
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Something to ponder... (Kludge - I am pondering again...)

At the Rally last night, they announced that the delegates were to be transported to the convention, for a possible floor vote.

A little later, they announced that 500+ seats were available up front, due to the delegates leaving. (Hoping for tons of delegates!)

The 'vote' did not happen last night.

Was this a Republican ploy to see to it that the delegates miss the Rally?

When the delegates arrived at the convention, were they identified as the Ron Paul Delegates, to be shut out of the vote?

georgiaboy
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Only the purist form of fascism is to be allowed at this convention. Sorry, I meant unity.

If you think TPTB were nervous and overzealous about minimizing any hint of controversy at the state conventions, I can only imagine what they're planning to do to (1) eliminate even the most benign of unplanned parliamentary motion in the script, and (2) paint anyone or any group who dares try and invoke a parliamentary motion as a security threat or worse.

Be strong, RP delegates. We're all right there with you.

georgiaboy
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
curious, does anyone here think it even remotely possible that delegates could in fact turn over the 'presumed nominee'? I for one do not.

IPSecure
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
curious, does anyone here think it even remotely possible that delegates could in fact turn over the 'presumed nominee'? I for one do not.

In a Constitutional Republic - Yes.

Too bad we do not have one any more...

Badger Paul
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Big D please tell us more, this sounds interesting.

Any other RNC delgates also chime in about your treatment at the convention.

UtahApocalypse
09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Paulites plan to force the GOP to uphold the rules?!?!?! What a Outrage!!! Them Hellions

pauletteNV
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Here are some rules I picked up from a post on dailypaul about acclamation, per the GOP's game book. Let's watch for this. It looks like the GOP cannot have an acclamation of presidential nominee as the DNC did at their convention:

*** Per the GOP's own Rules ***
*** Nomination by Acclamation is allowed for VP ONLY!! ***

PLEASE READ NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THIS COMMENT RE: VOTING BY ACCLAMATION. IT APPEARS THAT GOP RULES ALLOW THAT FOR VP ONLY, NOT PRES, DESPITE WHAT THE DEMOCRATS DID AT THEIR CONVENTION UNDER THEIR OWN RULES.

===

Well, at least some of my research of today is coming in handy. Here's what the rules say about roll call votes and acclamation:

RULE NO. 37
Roll Call

(a) Upon all subjects before the convention requiring a roll call, the states shall be called in alphabetical order.

(b) In the balloting, the vote of each state shall be announced by the chairman of such state's delegation, or his or her designee; and in case the vote of any state shall be divided, the chairman shall announce the number of votes for each candidate, or for or against any proposition; but if exception is taken by any delegate from that state to the correctness of such announcement by the chairman of that delegation, the chairman of the convention shall direct the roll of members of such delegation to be called, and the result shall be recorded in accordance with the vote of the several delegates in such delegation.

(c) In balloting, if any delegation shall pass when its name is called, then at the conclusion of the roll call all delegations which passed shall be called in the order herein before established. No delegation shall be allowed to change its vote until all delegations which passed shall have been given a second opportunity to vote.

(d) Except in a roll call for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States, or where the majority of delegates of fifteen (15) or more states severally have requested that a roll call be conducted by voice call of the roll, the chairman of the convention may order that the balloting on any subject placed before the convention requiring a roll call be conducted by electronic, telephonic or computer device which will display votes to the convention simultaneously. Each delegation chairman shall record and tally any such votes of the delegation on official roll call tally sheets provided by the secretary of the convention, showing the individual vote of the delegates, and file such tally sheets with the secretary of the convention not more than thirty (30) minutes after the completion of the roll call vote.

RULE NO. 38
Unit Rule

No delegate or alternate delegate shall be bound by any attempt of any state or congressional district to impose the unit rule.

-- [Anyone know what a "unit rule" is?] --

RULE NO. 39
Record Vote

If a majority of the delegates of any six (6) states severally shall demand a roll call vote, the same shall be taken of the states in the order hereinbefore established.

RULE NO. 40
Nominations

(a) In making the nominations for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States and voting thereon, the roll of the states shall be called separately in each case; provided, however, that if there is only one candidate for nomination for Vice President of the United States who has demonstrated the support required by paragraph (b) of this rule, a motion to nominate for such office by acclamation shall be in order and no calling of the roll with respect to such office shall be required.

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

---

Would you please re-read Rule 40, Section (a) and tell me whether you're reading the same thing I am? To wit:

- the roll of the states shall be called separately when nominating President and VP,
- but, here's this thing to consider;
- if there is only one candidate for nomination for VP,
- who has the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states,
- a motion to nominate for such office by acclamation shall be in order

For SUCH office
Which office?

The office of Vice President.

Do you see anything there authorizing acclamation for the office of President?

Links to the GOP rules can be found in this comment.

nullvalu
09-03-2008, 05:25 PM

LMAO looks like the good folks from the Fred Thompson forum have returned.. :)