PDA

View Full Version : Get over the Texas Straw Poll - it's time to move forward

Sematary
09-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Obsessing about what happened in Texas isn't going to help us, or the campaign, one bit. I realize for many it is an open wound but that doesn't mean we should stand here crying for a bandaid. We have ALOT of work to do and and worrying about something that we can't change isn't going to help. They can't stop us from voting in the primaries and we have to work towards getting victories in NH, IA, Nevada and SC.
So suck it up and let's get to work, dammit.

DjLoTi
09-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Yep, just gotta keep moving forward, keep working, keep fighting....

We can't let up until Feb 6th, and we know where the campaign is heading in the primary election...

constituent
09-02-2007, 12:08 PM
amen.

Tuck
09-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Remember guys only GOP delegates could vote in this straw poll, 3rd place in Bush's home state is VERY good. It doesn't surprise me that Hunter won, he was working over the DFW area hard on his fence building. I think he was on at least 2 tv stations and featured on a few newspapers and radio shows. Not only was Paul just a few votes away from Thompson but he managed to raise $100,000 this weekend. We all need to keep pushing with spreading the word, making signs, and donating as much as we can. Romney and McCain have pretty much drained all they can from their base of supporters if we can surpass them in cash on hand again the media will start to listen up.

JPFromTally
09-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I read on a blog that RP raised $100K though. Can anyone confirm this?

rajibo
09-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I read on a blog that RP raised $100K though. Can anyone confirm this?

From the official website:

The single most-successful fundraiser of the Ron Paul 2008 campaign took place last night in Highland Park, Texas (Dallas). The event was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Huffines.

The Huffines family opened their beautiful home and graciously hosted many supporters of Dr. Paul's. The evening ended with $102,000 donated to Dr. Paul's presidential campaign!

Kent SnyderChairman, Ron Paul 2008

jblosser
09-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Add to the $100k the $12k something raised that night; according to the family the total for the weekend was around $125,000.

I was at the straw poll and one of the main organizers dumping tons of time into this over the last month and I'm not sure why we have anything to "get over" or why it would be an "open wound", any more than Iowa was. If Hunter actually jump starts his campaign off this I will be surprised. Meanwhile Ron keep plugging on as the only truly national candidate.

LibertyEagle
09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Folks, you have to remember that we had several things working against us here. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area has been completely inundated with illegal aliens. It was a suburb of Dallas that created one of the very first ordinances trying to get illegal aliens to leave their area. I'm not sure, but I think some of the big pro-illegal alien groups forced them down. Dr. Paul does NOT come across as the strongest candidate on stopping illegal immigration. He really does not. He very well may be, but if he doesn't explain it well, it doesn't do any good, does it? The other thing is that the largest defense industry contractor, Lockheed Martin, is located smack in the middle of Ft. Worth.

There are a lot of good people in Texas. Even some of the delegates. There were only 1,000 out of 17,000 total that showed up for the straw poll. We have not lost Texas. Far from it. But, it is going to take a lot of effort on our parts and of the campaign to hone their message. Dr. Paul simply must fine tune his statements on the issues. We all know the questions. He needs to know what he's going to say if given 30 seconds to 1 minute to answer a question on illegal immigration, or healthcare, or national security, or, ..... It should no longer be a surprise when these questions are asked.

Tuck
09-02-2007, 01:36 PM

The single most-successful fundraiser of the Ron Paul 2008 campaign took place last night in Highland Park, Texas (Dallas). The event was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Huffines.

The Huffines family opened their beautiful home and graciously hosted many supporters of Dr. Paul's. The evening ended with $102,000 donated to Dr. Paul's presidential campaign!

Donald Huffines? Wasn't he the top fund raiser for Bush in 2000? Highland Park is not a cheap place to live, apartments in the area go for $2000+ a month lol.

bbachtung
09-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Here's some perspective on voter turn-out for Texas primaries. This is for 2000 (the last time that the Republicans had a contested presidential primary):

2000 - Primary, March (Presidential) Republican
Registered Voters 11,612,761
Voting Age Population (VAP) 14,479,609
Percentage of VAP Registered 80.20
Turnout 1,126,757
Percent of Turnout to Registered Voters 9.70
Percent of Turnout to VAP 7.78

VAP = Voting Age Population

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/historical/70-92.shtml

Dlynne
09-02-2007, 02:56 PM
To reinforce Liberty Eagle's post, the 2 border agents who were sent to prison for shooting the Mexican drug dealer got a LOT of play here in Texas. Duncan Hunter spearheaded the bill seeking a Congressional pardon for them, and I think that resonates with Texans and put his name in the papers and on talk radio.

I was initially down over the straw poll, but I remember all the people I have spoken with over the past few weeks in Houston who are extremely receptive to Paul. Texas is not lost by a long shot. I do long for some professional direction and organization, however.

Brandybuck
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Remember guys only GOP delegates could vote in this straw poll, 3rd place in Bush's home state is VERY good.
I completely agree. GOP delegates are hard core GOP activists. Most active Ron Paul supporters have only registered Republican recently, and so have not been Republican delegates in the past. To get third place among GOP activists is a stunning victory!

We need to stop crying conspiracy everytime we fail to win a poll.

wgadget
09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
TOMORROW is another day.

TOMORROW we (my family and I) will attend a SIGNMAKING MARATHON in Atlanta, having fun working with some of the BEST PEOPLE in America, for the best CANDIDATE in America.

Getting ready for PAINT THE TOWN RON, coming September 29!

ladyliberty
09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I think there is a lesson to be learned here :

Don't wear your support for Ron Paul on your sleeve when you go in to vote in these straw polls. If they ask you who you are for - just say Tancredo or Hunter or something - they will let you right on in. Then once you are past the gate, GO FOR IT!!!!

Put your Ron Paul T-shirts etc. in your handbag or wear another shirt over it or what ever, no Ron Paul stickers, or anything that will identify you as a Ron Paul delegate.

cjhowe
09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Here's some perspective on voter turn-out for Texas primaries. This is for 2000 (the last time that the Republicans had a contested presidential primary):

2000 - Primary, March (Presidential) Republican
Registered Voters 11,612,761
Voting Age Population (VAP) 14,479,609
Percentage of VAP Registered 80.20
Turnout 1,126,757
Percent of Turnout to Registered Voters 9.70
Percent of Turnout to VAP 7.78

VAP = Voting Age Population

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/historical/70-92.shtml

While not trying to diminish from your point of the numbers game, you can hardly call Texas's primary a contested election in 2000. It was the sitting Governor, George Bush (87%) vs. Alan Keyes (4%), vs. John McCain(7%).

The point to take away from the straw poll is that the Republican Party in Texas didn't show up. They're tired of all hat and no cattle.

Brad Blaine
09-02-2007, 04:17 PM
READ FULL ARTICLE (http://ronpaulupdate.blogspot.com/)

Ron Paul Nation should take heart that this weekend was more than about the poll results. It was a also a time for Ron Paul to go home to his state of Texas, where everything is bigger, including the size of the checks being written at this weekend's fundraiser in Highland Park, Texas. According to the Ron Paul Campaign Team, $102,000.00 was raised on that one night alone.

Supplementing that outpouring of support was a highly creative Ron Paul Meetup.com fundraising competition, where members of self-organized MeetUp groups around the country competed to raise funds to help Ron Paul get into the White House and, if victorious in their efforts, win a visit from Ro Paul live and in in person. The final scores have not been added up yet, but at the very least $130,000.00 (according to August 30 results) was raised and most likely much, much more. If there was a large push on the final day of contest eligibility, it's possible that this weekend brought $500,000 or more. That amount of fundraising constitutes top-tier results by almost any standard.

~*CAN YOU PREDICT FINAL MEETUP $$$ Raised*~ (https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2723974290447978332&postID=182788208573648407)

Cowlesy
09-02-2007, 04:25 PM
READ FULL ARTICLE (http://ronpaulupdate.blogspot.com/)

Ron Paul Nation should take heart that this weekend was more than about the poll results. It was a also a time for Ron Paul to go home to his state of Texas, where everything is bigger, including the size of the checks being written at this weekend's fundraiser in Highland Park, Texas. According to the Ron Paul Campaign Team, $102,000.00 was raised on that one night alone.

Supplementing that outpouring of support was a highly creative Ron Paul Meetup.com fundraising competition, where members of self-organized MeetUp groups around the country competed to raise funds to help Ron Paul get into the White House and, if victorious in their efforts, win a visit from Ro Paul live and in in person. The final scores have not been added up yet, but at the very least $130,000.00 (according to August 30 results) was raised and most likely much, much more. If there was a large push on the final day of contest eligibility, it's possible that this weekend brought $500,000 or more. That amount of fundraising constitutes top-tier results by almost any standard.

~*CAN YOU PREDICT FINAL MEETUP $$$ Raised*~ (https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2723974290447978332&postID=182788208573648407)

I get $122,405.00 based on August 30th results and 25th place raising $1.00 and no fundraising on the 31st for a doomsday, worst-case scenario.

I wish I could just get one halfway solid datapoint to dump into my model to give us a better idea. Even a group who's not in the Top 25 would help if they had a ballpark estimate.

jblosser
09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
GOP delegates are hard core GOP activists. Most active Ron Paul supporters have only registered Republican recently, and so have not been Republican delegates in the past. To get third place among GOP activists is a stunning victory!

Dammit people stop pushing the same armchair line. The TX GOP is furious at the party and ignored the poll completely. We got third place among Hunter activists, not GOP activists, which is even better because it means the vast majority is still undecided.

There is better news in these results than anyone apparently cares to talk about but if we don't get a clue what we're seeing we are going to remain ignorant of how to actually win. The biggest take away from all the efforts around this poll is that we need to start visiting the GOP clubs every month and talking to the undecideds and fence sitters, many of whom are in party leadership!

bbachtung
09-02-2007, 05:47 PM
While not trying to diminish from your point of the numbers game, you can hardly call Texas's primary a contested election in 2000. It was the sitting Governor, George Bush (87%) vs. Alan Keyes (4%), vs. John McCain(7%).

The point to take away from the straw poll is that the Republican Party in Texas didn't show up. They're tired of all hat and no cattle.

Good point, but if you also look at 1996 (with Pat Buchanan pulling in over 20% to Dole's 55%), the turn-out is also roughly 10%:

1996 - Primary, March (Presidential) Republican
Registered Voters 9,698,506
Voting Age Population (VAP) 13,698,284
Percentage of VAP Registered 70.80
Turnout 1,019,803
Percent of Turnout to Registered Voters 10.52
Percent of Turnout to VAP 7.44

singapore_sling
09-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Low voter turnout is so perfect for us. Ron Paul can get 90% turnout from his supporters and we all know the rest of the candidates don't have passionate followers.

Colleen
09-02-2007, 06:09 PM

I think that is a victory!!!

Badger Paul
09-02-2007, 08:53 PM
These are my observations and opinions are sifting through what happened this weekend:

1). It was Iowa all over again. Lots of support outside the hall, not as much inside. No wonder a blogger from Texas Observer called the whole situation "bizarre." Finishing third behind the the so-called top tier candidates is one thing. But behind Duncan Hunter? Maybe Hunter won't do anything nationally but he'll stick around and will be included in future debates because he can claim "I won the Texas Straw Poll." Its a setback because so much was put into winning it, you can't spin it any other way.

2). No wonder Huckabee pulled out at the last minute. I'm sure he smelled what was coming. Yet Paul couldn't pull out. Texas is his home state and he has to run eveywhere to deliver his message and hope it resonates. So we were trapped and there was no way out but to go all out. Everyone I know did their best but when one small special interest group can dominate the voting for a nothing candidate, then you know this straw poll was a joke. I don't care if it was Labor Day weekend. When only 1,300 delegates out of 17,000 eligible show up, you've got a party with a lot of problems. At least Paul raised more money than they did.

3). Right now our support is more outside the party than within it. The difference between 1964 and 2007 is that Goldwater has significant intra-party support, especially in the South. Ron has virtually no top Republicans in his corner. You're going to hear a lot about third party bids for Paul from the national media in the next few months.

We have to run to win of course, which is why we should reject that approach. I athink the camapaign should commit itself to run in all 50 state primary and caucuses regardless what happens. Because we have a national camapaign, I think we owe it to all our supporters everywhere to have our name on the ballot to vote for and support. As RP said, I didn't start a campaign, I joined one. We have a movement that can transform the GOP, not create another dead-end third party. Again, time is on our side because we're young and they're not getting any younger. This has to be a long term commitment to completely transform American politics, not just be another one-shot camapaign. We have to prepare oursleves for this possibility

4). There's a hunger out for an anti-establishment, different kind of Republican but you can tell its almost as if GOP voters believe that if they support Paul they feel that they're betraying the troops. I bet a lot of average Republicans feels this way. They're trapped too. They don't like the way the war has gone so far, they're not totally sure why we are still there but they feel victory or defeat hinges on their support. Don't think of the "surge" as a military strategy, think of it as a politcal strategy designed to keep Republicans in line and its worked and Patraeus' report will further keep them from crossing. Paul's only shot realistically is to have support for the war among Republicans collapse. Hopefully that will comes soon through some event or change in attitude. I would not change Paul's position on the war for anything otherwise he really would be lost in the crowd. But he has to ask the tough questions to force voters ask themselves questions they don't want to ask, like define what victory is, how long is it going to take, why are our troops in the middle of a sectarian war, how much is it going to cost? Is it worth that cost or is there another way? What if the Iraqis don't come to a political solution?

5). Keep on fighting. No real votes have been taken yet and we shouldn't quit until those votes are counted. But we also need to advertise, advertise advertise, especially in the early small states like Iowa and New Hampshire. The campaign probably isn't going to spend anything on advertising until it gets close to the vote. That's fine. We need to fill that gap throughout the fall. Contribute to pay pals or anythign persons are offering to put ads on the air.

LibertyEagle
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Dammit people stop pushing the same armchair line. The TX GOP is furious at the party and ignored the poll completely. We got third place among Hunter activists, not GOP activists, which is even better because it means the vast majority is still undecided.

There is better news in these results than anyone apparently cares to talk about but if we don't get a clue what we're seeing we are going to remain ignorant of how to actually win. The biggest take away from all the efforts around this poll is that we need to start visiting the GOP clubs every month and talking to the undecideds and fence sitters, many of whom are in party leadership!

Everyone, please read this. Jblosser was there.

Also, please read this...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=15309