PDA

View Full Version : Legal discrimination in the great nanny-state

GreenCardSeeker
09-02-2008, 01:52 AM
I must say I've become quite disturbed with all the discrimination the Swedish state has put into law for people with psychiatric diagnoses like ADHD, Asperger's, autism etc. Some informal discrimination has existed for a long time, such as the state having a very easy time taking the children of people with diagnoses, claiming these would be at risk of not getting properly taken care of by their parents. Employment is another such matter, people with diagnoses have been directed towards early retirement with low income and low status, the employment office not attempting to help them find real jobs, but at best the "protected workshops" the country has, subsidized companies that don't have to compete on market terms.

This year however, a bit of discrimination has made it into actual law. The process of getting a driving license in Sweden has traditionally been quite a long one with lots of fees, clearances and such, and now they even require you to enter on your initial application if you have any of these psychiatric diagnoses. If you have a diagnosis of ADHD, Asperger's or autism, you need to get clearance from a doctor before you can get a new license or renew your old one, even if you pass all the other tests. The stereotypes supporting this legislation is that a person with ADHD might take risks in traffic and hence be a danger, and someone with Asperger's might be too rigid and careful in his driving, hence not being flexible enough for proper driving. For people with a diagnosis of epilepsy, they must have been free from seizures for two years before getting a license.

I tell you, Sweden is the absolutely craziest place on earth.

VoteForRonPaul
09-02-2008, 03:05 AM
I tell you, Sweden is the absolutely craziest place on earth.
Come on give me a break. All this because of a driver license :(

You should come live in America or go live in any third world country then you will thank God you were born in Sweden :D

What is your definition of low income?

GreenCardSeeker
09-02-2008, 03:19 AM

Well, I mentioned some other stuff too. Over here, the state treats people like subjects unable to run their own lives, always knowing what's best for them - and when you've got a diagnosis, it's like you're supposed to have the state as an active parent.

You should come live in America or go live in any third world country then you will thank God you were born in Sweden :D

I'm trying to get to the USA, but unfortunately I don't qualify for the legal ways of getting a green card. A sick pension here, which is what people with diagnoses here are usually directed to, is like $1000/month, and getting a job here when you've got a diagnosis like these is really hard, so that's usually all you're able to get. Oh, and the the government doesn't just confine itself to offering diagnoses - for the last 15 years or so, it's been actively diagnosing people through checklists and coerced them into disabled roles, even if the people themselves didn't consider themselves disabled or wanted a sick pension. In the end, the system got to them. The reason it's throwing labels around is to make the unemployment figures look less bad, the idea is that people with diagnoses aren't employable. The government's attempt to save face has resulted in people being unwillingly confined into lives that they don't want to lead, without respect or futures.

VoteForRonPaul
09-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm trying to get to the USA, but unfortunately I don't qualify for the legal ways of getting a green card.
What are you planing to do in America? Work or education? Education is your best chance. Work forget it unless if you are a businessman. or you can marry or come on a tourist visa then stay and work in the lowest jobs and not only this will be enough but in addition you will be labeled as an illegal alien :D

A sick pension here, which is what people with diagnoses here are usually directed to, is like $1000/month, and getting a job here when you've got a diagnosis like these is really hard, so that's usually all you're able to get. Oh, and the the government doesn't just confine itself to offering diagnoses - for the last 15 years or so, it's been actively diagnosing people through checklists and coerced them into disabled roles, even if the people themselves didn't consider themselves disabled or wanted a sick pension. In the end, the system got to them. The reason it's throwing labels around is to make the unemployment figures look less bad, the idea is that people with diagnoses aren't employable. The government's attempt to save face has resulted in people being unwillingly confined into lives that they don't want to lead, without respect or futures.
I just googled ADHD "Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder". My wife used to tell me that I have ADHD because I cannot really concentrate very well when I do somethings though I still got my driver license. God bless America :D

How is life in Sweden? Is it expensive or not? Is $1000/month enough to cover an average man needs?

Also here in America if you do not have a car you will most likely be like a handicapped and that is why the people in America depend on fuel like water while I know that Europe in general has a good public transportation system.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
09-02-2008, 04:55 AM

It was the Scandinavians who invented the market for the modern slave.

newyearsrevolution08
09-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Also here in America if you do not have a car you will most likely be like a handicapped and that is why the people in America depend on fuel like water while I know that Europe in general has a good public transportation system.

I actually think that has to do with why so many of us are so damn fat actually. We don't walk or ride bikes or do anything athletic as a whole. It would be a good thing if our lazy american asses AS A WHOLE would get more aerobics going on.

It is not like in America we are the only country with many things far from each other or ridden with traffic to where we need vehicles... Many people CAN walk, ride bikes and so on BUT choose not to.

We are lazy plain and simple