PDA

View Full Version : GOP Platform passed "UNANIMOUSLY"

Matt Collins
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
GOP Press Release
Sent: Mon 9/1/2008 5:35 PM

ST. PAUL, MINN. – The 2008 Republican National Convention unanimously passed the 2008 Republican Party Platform today, featuring the most aggressive and innovative energy policy in Republican Party history. The Platform can be viewed here (https://webmail.cumulus.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.gop.com/platform).

“We are proud to have passed a platform today that all Republicans will enthusiastically support,” said RNC Chairman Robert M. “Mike” Duncan. “This is a document that demonstrates a forward-looking, positive vision for America and is deeply rooted in the long-standing principles that make our Party great.”

The 112-member 2008 Convention Committee on Resolutions (“Platform Committee”) led by Chairman U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy (CA-22) and Co-Chairman U.S. Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) unanimously passed the 2008 Republican Party Platform out of Committee on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2008.

“This platform is the product of the most open and transparent process in American political history,” McCarthy said. “Indeed, we are a Party — as we are a nation — of mavericks. Yet we stand united today because we are the one Party that speaks to all Americans.”

“Our Party embodies a uniquely American spirit, and this platform is a testament to that freedom and stands as our promise to future generations that we will do whatever it takes to preserve it,” Burr said.

To view the 2008 Republican Party Platform, visit here: http://www.gop.com/platform

thx1149
09-02-2008, 08:47 AM
The 112-member 2008 Convention Committee on Resolutions (“Platform Committee”) led by Chairman U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy (CA-22) and Co-Chairman U.S. Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) unanimously passed the 2008 Republican Party Platform out of Committee on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2008.

Is it normal for committees to vote on the platform at the national convention? For some reason I had assumed that this was part of the role of the delegates? I guess the next big question is how do people get onto that committee? Are they elected, and if so who was allowed to vote?

Anyone know?

Matt Collins
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah I am a bit unsure of this myself. Did any RP people vote on this?

pacelli
09-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I was watching the RNC convention last night and it is utter bullshit that the platform was passed unanimously. When they asked for "yea" and "nay", Mike Duncan pulled a Nancy Pelosi by doing the 'All those that oppose say Nay the yeas have it'. Basically not giving people a chance to say Nay. However, you could clearly hear some delegates yelling out "Nay".

teshuah
09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
yes, I couldn't stand that either... reminds me of what I read about hte MN Republican State Convention

liberteebell
09-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I just scanned the platform and it is a complete load of Big Government intrusion into everything imaginable.

So much for the supposed party of smaller government. How is this party salvageable??

GodOfThunder
09-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Not a single mention of The Constitution in the preamble... hmmmm...

freelance
09-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Wasn't this the crappy platform written by Newt Gingrich?

TastyWheat
09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I heard a few "Nays" but either way it would've been railroaded through.

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/library/media/player.php?pid=280774-102&start=1473

phoenixrising
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Is it normal for committees to vote on the platform at the national convention? For some reason I had assumed that this was part of the role of the delegates? I guess the next big question is how do people get onto that committee? Are they elected, and if so who was allowed to vote?

Anyone know?

aloha thx....

actually each state is represented by 2 delegates (1 male/1 female) ...yet ya gotta look at *which* delegates they chose . in viewing my state of hawai'i...they chose the most corrupt neocons!!

libertythor
09-02-2008, 04:02 PM
aloha thx....

actually each state is represented by 2 delegates (1 male/1 female) ...yet ya gotta look at *which* delegates they chose . in viewing my state of hawai'i...they chose the most corrupt neocons!!

Shit.