PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav Means More Coverage For Ron Paul Rally?

rational thinker
08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't mean to look for benefits in a disaster, especially of one of this colossal magnitude, but with the Hurricane leading up to the pratical cancelation of the first day of the RNC, wouldn't the hunger crazed media need to look for more controversial stories? Surely the Rally for the Republic would be one, right?

I mean I think that we can bank on The Daily Show sending a correspondent to the Rally and Jon Stewart will probably talk more about it on Tuesday (The Daily Show will be in Minnesota starting Tuesday and ending Friday to cover the convention). This could spell more press coverage for Paul and his troopers in more media, such as CNN and Fox News.

What are your thoughts?

0zzy
08-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Less coverage. If coverage, worse coverage (LOOK AT EM RON PAULITES PARTYING IN A TIME OF TRAGEDY!)

richardfortherepublic
08-31-2008, 06:07 PM
More hurricane= more hurricane coverage..

It's the only god damned thing on the news today, and it hasn't even hit.

UtahApocalypse
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Less coverage. If coverage, worse coverage (LOOK AT EM RON PAULITES PARTYING IN A TIME OF TRAGEDY!)

+10000000000000

Some here don't seem to get that.

rprprs
08-31-2008, 06:11 PM
My thoughts are that Gustav is bad news all around. If it hits as suspected, the media will be split between covering what's left of the Republican Convention and the storm's devastation of New Orleans and coastal regions. There will be little time left for much else... Especially Ron Paul (who they'd like to ignore anyway).:(

jcarcinogen
08-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Exactly. Any non-Gustav news will be on how the RNC changed plans to raise money for the people that get effected by this storm.

itshappening
08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
hopefully they can spare a minute or two to mention RP but dont bet on it!

SeanEdwards
08-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Rupert Murdoch will castrate with his teeth any of his employees who mention the rally.

Edit:

Actually Rupert may order Michelle Malkin to do a segment on the america-haters attending the "9/11 truther rally", as they will call it.

Suggested title:

"Truthers Celebrate while Americans Suffer"

MRoCkEd
08-31-2008, 06:47 PM
I really hope c-span will still broadcast it

Micah Dardar
08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey, I'm from New Orleans! I'm currently at a motel in St. Louis, MO. If I decide to go up that way tomorrow, you guys better party harder in tribute to New Orleans. We don't like to cancel fun in The Big Easy. We bring it with us! I hope I can make it. LETS ROCK MINNEAPOLIS LIKE BOURBON STREET!

Imperial
08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
I am sick of people saying Ron Paul should be with his district during this hurricane. As of now, everyone in his towns like League City, Pearland, Kemah, etc will only suffer some thunderstorms.

Bruno
08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey, I'm from New Orleans! I'm currently at a motel in St. Louis, MO. If I decide to go up that way tomorrow, you guys better party harder in tribute to New Orleans. We don't like to cancel fun in The Big Easy. We bring it with us! I hope I can make it. LETS ROCK MINNEAPOLIS LIKE BOURBON STREET!

Now THAT is an admirable attitude!!

pacelli
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM

It's going to be more hurricane coverage and less political rally coverage period. And frankly, that's how it should be. Reason? We don't want the media to paint a bad picture of the rally since Ron went on Fox today and started talking about "personal responsibility", when Brett Baier started asking about Gustav possibly hitting Ron's district. The major media wouldn't give a fair representation of the rally and would color us as selfish and unpatriotic (i.e. McCain said we must put country before politics). They still may paint us that way, but I'd rather Fox and CNN stay far the hell away from the R4R because any stories they do on it will look like this:

"While the republicans have scaled back their convention in light of the devastating effects of Hurricane Gustav, Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic rocks on in St. Paul. When asked for comment yesterday, Ron Paul encouraged hurricane victims to accept 'personal responsibility' for re-building their homes".

You know that if Fox covers it, that's how it will go down.

Ninja Homer
08-31-2008, 08:08 PM
All the media is still here in MN. They'll be looking for stories. If there aren't any RNC stories, then they'll look elsewhere, such as the Rally for the Republic. Whether these stories get any air time or not is another thing entirely.

I think we should come up with some ideas very quickly to help people affected by Gustav, both to help people and to put the Rally in a good light and show that we ARE caring people, and willing to help people in need (without a gov bureaucracy involved).

Would it be possible to set up food and cash drives at the Ron Paul Nation Celebration and Rally for the Republic by tomorrow evening?

RSLudlum
08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
More hurricane= more hurricane coverage..

It's the only god damned thing on the news today, and it hasn't even hit.

Yes, they have found another tool to evoke fear...

If it's not the terrorist threat level ticker, it's the little corner hurricane tracker animation. :mad:

It'd be much more productive to have a US debt ticker or US troop casuality ticker constantly running,,,now that would be real 'change'

pacelli
08-31-2008, 09:12 PM
All the media is still here in MN. They'll be looking for stories. If there aren't any RNC stories, then they'll look elsewhere, such as the Rally for the Republic. Whether these stories get any air time or not is another thing entirely.

I think we should come up with some ideas very quickly to help people affected by Gustav, both to help people and to put the Rally in a good light and show that we ARE caring people, and willing to help people in need (without a gov bureaucracy involved).

Would it be possible to set up food and cash drives at the Ron Paul Nation Celebration and Rally for the Republic by tomorrow evening?

That's a great idea. If you see media and the can drive is all set up, invite them over to film the cans being donated & instead of screaming "RON PAUL" and "WAKE UP AMERICA~" into the camera, encourage people to politely say kind words to the media about Gustav and the potential victims of it.

wgadget
08-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Last I heard it will hit 50 miles west of New Orleans and will be downgraded to a category 1 by the time it hits....75-90mph winds. Maybe not quite as bad as expected?

revolutionary8
08-31-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0G0iLj2A4o
What if?

fr33domfightr
09-01-2008, 01:42 AM

I've got an idea. Quickly put together a team to make the Rally For The Republic into a Telethon. People can watch and be entertained as well as call in to donate to the Red Cross (with our own tote board). If that doesn't get positive spin, I don't know what would.

Hopefully though, the storm will come ashore without too much fan fair, and will subside prior to the Ron Paul event.

FF

RSLudlum
09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I feel for Louisiana as much as I do for my neighbors and I.

Hopefully Tropical Storm Hanna doesn't strengthen too much.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT08/refresh/AL0808W5_sm2+gif/025514W_sm.gif

richardfortherepublic
09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
We could move the event to the Super Dome....

syborius
09-01-2008, 01:57 AM
It's going to be more hurricane coverage and less political rally coverage period. And frankly, that's how it should be. Reason? We don't want the media to paint a bad picture of the rally since Ron went on Fox today and started talking about "personal responsibility", when Brett Baier started asking about Gustav possibly hitting Ron's district. The major media wouldn't give a fair representation of the rally and would color us as selfish and unpatriotic (i.e. McCain said we must put country before politics). They still may paint us that way, but I'd rather Fox and CNN stay far the hell away from the R4R because any stories they do on it will look like this:

"While the republicans have scaled back their convention in light of the devastating effects of Hurricane Gustav, Ron Paul's Rally for the Republic rocks on in St. Paul. When asked for comment yesterday, Ron Paul encouraged hurricane victims to accept 'personal responsibility' for re-building their homes".

You know that if Fox covers it, that's how it will go down.

Awful and true. The repubs did a calculated move. The elite sculpt perception, and in this case they rather scale back and represent themselves as ohhhhh soooo caring knowing that the RP convention must go on as planned. The timing of this is very damaging to the RP convention, they elite might try to put additional pressure on cspan and others to under-report. Overall this is horrific news. Instead of having the two conventions go toe-to-toe, and raise public awareness this has turned into a political jockeying fiasco with RP going on air and advocating personal responsibility...We just don't have luck on our sides it seems.

Peace&Freedom
09-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Awful and true. The repubs did a calculated move. The elite sculpt perception, and in this case they rather scale back and represent themselves as ohhhhh soooo caring knowing that the RP convention must go on as planned. The timing of this is very damaging to the RP convention, they elite might try to put additional pressure on cspan and others to under-report. Overall this is horrific news. Instead of having the two conventions go toe-to-toe, and raise public awareness this has turned into a political jockeying fiasco with RP going on air and advocating personal responsibility...We just don't have luck on our sides it seems.

Let's move forward with the rally regardless. The media would spin GOOD luck for RP in a negative way anyhow (as in Paul walking on water being spun as "Paul can't swim"). The combined impact of the Palin announcement and the storm does have a crowding out effect on the news media's attention that does work to the detriment of the Paul rally, but the big picture is, they weren't going to cover it anyway. But regular folks (as opposed to us news and politics junkies) aren't likely to be deft enough to even care about how either the GOP or the Paul events look.

Getting rally coverage on C-Span is almost meaningless, as that was the problem with the focus of the campaign from the outset---Paul should have officially announced his candidacy in a major media way, not on a cable channel. The campaign and grassroots should have focused on reaching the majority of regular voters who don't have internet or CNN, rather than waxed feverishly over how Paul got treated in a five minute cable interview. Our maturing as a grassroots should increasingly include an ability to step back, and not over-analyze the spin impact of everything that happens per news cycle. So on with the rally!

jab2ur
09-01-2008, 03:37 AM
In summer 07 we coupled a food drive to the SC rallies in Greenville and Spartanburg and it received some positive news coverage. Could work here too. Good luck

jab2ur
09-01-2008, 03:38 AM
best scenario is, Repubs cancel a lot, but the hurriacine downgrades (as it has been). The hurricaine isn't as bad as expected but Repubcs already cancelled, so the Rally could get extra new coverage in that scenario. lets hope!

raiha
09-01-2008, 03:40 AM

See if you can grab a CNN reporter and say that!! :D:D

Hope your city is ok. I'd hate to see people leave forever. Wonderful city!