PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul would get 20+% as independent this year

gaazn
08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Too many people who don't like either choice. The economy is the number 1 issue and both sides don't seem to care. McCain seems to be making corruption and energy his central issues, and Obama is not really for anything, just being the anti-Bush. It's almost surreal that the candidates who actually tackled the economy (Ron Paul, and to a lesser extent Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton) are all out and the two remaining contenders seem to be intentionally avoiding the economy.

Chase
08-31-2008, 04:29 PM
The problem is media coverage. If Ron Paul got equal coverage and access to the debates as an independent, he might very well get that kind of return. But we saw during the primaries the extent to which the press will go to avoid making Ron Paul appear to be any more than a fringe voice.

Standing Like A Rock
08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Too many people who don't like either choice. The economy is the number 1 issue and both sides don't seem to care. McCain seems to be making corruption and energy his central issues, and Obama is not really for anything, just being the anti-Bush. It's almost surreal that the candidates who actually tackled the economy (Ron Paul, and to a lesser extent Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton) are all out and the two remaining contenders seem to be intentionally avoiding the economy.

but even if he got 20% of the vote, he probably would not manage to get any electors, maybe a handfull at best....

georgiaboy
08-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Wonder what would happen if the McCain/Palin campaign leaked Ron Paul as a possible cabinet member - Treasury, Commerce?

gaazn, if you consider this a thread hijacking, let me know - I'll start a separate one.

richardfortherepublic
08-31-2008, 06:11 PM
These threads make me sad, because he has said numerous times...he wont be a member of any government whose foreign policy he does not support, and he wont run as a Independent.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Wonder what would happen if the McCain/Palin campaign leaked Ron Paul as a possible cabinet member - Treasury, Commerce?

gaazn, if you consider this a thread hijacking, let me know - I'll start a separate one.

I would expect Ron Paul to do the right thing and reject it, and to call out McCain/Palin pandering to lock up Ron Paul supporter's votes. Palin is already their sad attempt at trying to stop the hemorrhaging of conservatives and libertarians to third parties.

Flash
08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
The problem is media coverage. If Ron Paul got equal coverage and access to the debates as an independent, he might very well get that kind of return. But we saw during the primaries the extent to which the press will go to avoid making Ron Paul appear to be any more than a fringe voice.

Ron Paul made the right choice not to run. If he did run then all the Republicans would say, "See he was never a Republican we were right."

Kludge
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Source?

wgadget
08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
These threads make me sad, because he has said numerous times...he wont be a member of any government whose foreign policy he does not support, and he wont run as a Independent.

Um....He already IS a member of a government whose foreign policy he does not support. I can't believe he doesn't just ditch the Republicans after the crappy treatment he received. He really is an enigma to me in that department.

Join The Paul Side
08-31-2008, 10:32 PM

You're right about that. I've barely seen any coverage for Nader or Barr. Articles, yes. TV time, no.

richardfortherepublic
08-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Um....He already IS a member of a government whose foreign policy he does not support. I can't believe he doesn't just ditch the Republicans after the crappy treatment he received. He really is an enigma to me in that department.

I meant to say Administration, sorry...

Still, my point stands.

qh4dotcom
09-01-2008, 12:34 AM
20% doesn't win elections...

ChickenHawk
09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
The only reason Ron Paul got 5% or so support in the primaries is because he was in the debates. If he had run as an independent or LP everyone would still be saying "Ron who?". The only way a third party candidate has a chance is if they are fabulously wealthy and have a popular message. Ron Paul has neither.

hillbilly123069
09-01-2008, 03:05 AM
They want you to believe there is no choice but what the media says is available.Just like the lack of coverage of Dr Paul during the primaries, such is the lack of coverage on facts aired by the media now.

gaazn
09-01-2008, 05:51 AM
The point is not whether he should have run or not. It is that someone with the economic credibility like Ron Paul would do very well this year as an independent. This is because Obama/Biden and McCain/Palin have all decided to avoid the economic issues that will face the next President. It almost seems like a back-door collusion. This, despite that economy remains the #1 concern, and the housing and credit crunch is affecting Main Street. This leaves a huge vacuum and opening for anyone with economic expertise.

To compare Barr and Nader to Paul is folly. Neither Barr or Nader has the grass roots or fundraising success of Ron Paul. And neither has the financial knowledge to be credible nor the positive energy to attract voters.

Kludge
09-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Source?

Bump.

hillbilly123069
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
bump

sidster
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM
20% doesn't win elections...

I'd love to see the sauce on this first as Kludge and Kludge
have requested as well...

but assuming the study and estimate is correct, 20% would
make a massive statement.

2004 elections were decided Bush 51% v. Kerry 48% and 1% Nader (sauce (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/president/))
2000 elections were decided Bush 48% v. Gore 48% and 4% other (sauce (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/results/))

Now carve out 20% from those results say evenly split between
each side you get:

2004: Bush 41% ... Kerry 38% ... 20% Paul
2000: Bush 38% ... Gore 38% ... 20% Paul

Now that speaks volumes.

So if 2008, at it seems a close run between Obama and McCain
polls show:

CNN: Obama 49, McCain 48
Gallop: Obama 49, McCain 43 (sause (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/latestpolls/index.html))

You'd get: Obama 39 ... McCain 38 ... Paul 20

Can you imagine what sort of clout would that buy Dr Paul
in the House of Representatives? With numbers like that,
the MSM couldn't afford to ignore Dr Paul and his message.

but ... on a realistic note, i doubt the figures by OP are
real. but I'll wait for the sauce anyway.

anaconda
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Interesting idea. Actually, it would fall right into McCain's "maverick" image. But RP would be unlikely to accept a cabinet position in an administration that is unconstitutional and corrupt.

Plus McCain needs to answer to the NWO elites. Paul would be a poor intermediary for this.

anaconda
09-01-2008, 07:35 PM
You'd get: Obama 39 ... McCain 38 ... Paul 20

Remember that the Rockefeller media would have kept beating up on RP and making him look bad to the Sheeple that don't know better. He would have had to get into the debates with Obama and McCain. Don't know if that would have happened. Also, remember that RP did very poorly in a number of states, including big states, like California. So 20% of the general vote would be pretty dramatic, since that would have to average out with some 6% states.

idiom
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I dunno, I think with Obama backing off, RP as an independent might be able to get the backing of Move On.org

He could get everyone for whom ending the war is the most important thing.

sidster
09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Remember that the Rockefeller media would have kept beating up on RP and making him look bad to the Sheeple that don't know better. He would have had to get into the debates with Obama and McCain. Don't know if that would have happened. Also, remember that RP did very poorly in a number of states, including big states, like California. So 20% of the general vote would be pretty dramatic, since that would have to average out with some 6% states.

i agree. that's why i want to see the source for OP's
claim of 20%.