PDA

View Full Version : TNT to air Fred Thompson Law and Order episodes after candidacy declared

devil21
09-02-2007, 03:00 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20070831/ca_pr_on_en/tv_thompson__s_reruns

This really got me irritated. Let the FCC and the FEC know what you think about this. http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

This is a money grab as well as a backing to FT from TNT and anything Turner. Let the Turners also know what you think about this.

Thomas Jefferson
09-02-2007, 03:04 AM
I hate FT, but TNT should have the right to air anything they want. I'm sure the same legal courtesies wouldn't be given to Ron Paul, but I still say the FCC and FEC can go to hell, and I think RP would agree.

The real disappointment is the fact that some people will be swayed to vote for Thompson because they see him in reruns of this show...sigh.

devil21
09-02-2007, 03:07 AM
The right to air whatever they want when the equal air-time clause has been accepted? Im not sure why you think the FCC can censor South Park but not act on TNT? Please explain TJ.

Thomas Jefferson
09-02-2007, 03:31 AM
I don't think the FCC should exist, but as long as they do, I vehemently oppose anything and everything they do and stand for.

Since you mention it though, their censoring of South Park is a much bigger issue to me than this Fred Thompson issue is. Coincidentally, I just finished watching an episode on my computer. Best show ever.

devil21
09-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Uh ok. You didnt answer my question though? Why can the FCC censor South Park but not TNT?

Thomas Jefferson
09-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Because they make their own rules.

devil21
09-02-2007, 03:48 AM
So you think it is ok for cable channels to make money in violation of accepted election rules. Anarchy you prefer? There must be some rules in place to keep the playing field level. I doubt the real TJ would advocate presidential candidates playing upon technicalities instead of the spirit.

Thomas Jefferson
09-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Yes, I think it is valid to non-violently protest any unjust law. TJ wouldn't support the government interfering with a private entity's right to free speech.

trispear
09-02-2007, 05:00 AM
I don't support the FCC or what they do.

But it is people like Fred Thompson who wrote those rules (Incumbent Protection Act) which is currently hindering Ron Paul and all others.

So I will happily write the FCC and use them against Fred. Fight Fire against Fire when appropriate. Some fires are small and easily doused with water, some are big and that is when it's time to pull out all the stops:D

Yes, I think it is valid to non-violently protest any unjust law. TJ wouldn't support the government interfering with a private entity's right to free speech.I have a good level of respect for someone that holds to their principles even though I'm willing to be Ron Paul's catspaw for action he himself wouldn't take:p

greves
09-02-2007, 05:12 AM
TJ I agree that the real TJ wouldn't support the FCC, but I also think he would support signing a contract when running for contract, wherein you agree to allow equal airtime for other candidates as well as yourself. He was fair and reasonable, wasn't he? So is equal airtime.

foofighter20x
09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
My question: what does the FCC or even the FEC have to do with SUBSCRIPTION cable services?

quickmike
09-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey,

JUST VOTE FOR FRED

WHO DRIVES THE TRUCK THATS RED

DONT WORRY BOUT THE TUMOR IN HIS HEAD

OR ILL FILL YA FULLA LEAD

REMEMBER WHAT I SAID

devil21
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
My question: what does the FCC or even the FEC have to do with SUBSCRIPTION cable services?

It hasnt been determined one way or another whether the FCC has jurisdiction over cable services but the FCC has already stepped in on cable things like South Park in the past.

Cowlesy
09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey,

JUST VOTE FOR FRED

WHO DRIVES THE TRUCK THATS RED

DONT WORRY BOUT THE TUMOR IN HIS HEAD

OR ILL FILL YA FULLA LEAD

REMEMBER WHAT I SAID

Runnnnn Fred, rrruuuuuunnnn!

njandrewg
09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
when complaining to FCC don't use Ron Paul's name...just say that you want to report a violation of the rules

devil21
09-02-2007, 04:02 PM
You can send a complaint via email at fccinfo@fcc.gov

I wonder if the Fred Thompson Forum (http://www.fredthompsonforum.com) has caught this yet?

james1906
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
when complaining to FCC don't use Ron Paul's name...just say that you want to report a violation of the rules

yeah, just claim to support one of the rudy mcromney hacks.

cjhowe
09-02-2007, 04:13 PM
That's right, give TNT free advertisement that they're airing one of the most successful television series ever. Oh, and that it just happens to star someone other than Ron Paul who's running for president.

The only bad news is no news... and if you're a republican, gay news.

nullvalu
09-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I noticed "Cape Fear" was on last night (the remake version with FT in it).. coincidence?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I hate FT, but TNT should have the right to air anything they want. I'm sure the same legal courtesies wouldn't be given to Ron Paul, but I still say the FCC and FEC can go to hell, and I think RP would agree.

The real disappointment is the fact that some people will be swayed to vote for Thompson because they see him in reruns of this show...sigh.

I' m still disputing the the fact that corporations are not true elements of a real free market. Each corporations is licensed and regulated by the state in which they reside in.

quickmike
09-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson

Well, they get what they deserve if he won then, and when theyre sitting there 3 years from now saying "I dont understand what happened, I thought Fred Thompson was a good guy." We can say "Yeah stupid, see what happens when you act like a sheep and vote for a guy just because you see him on TV? Why are you suprised?" Not that he would ever beat Hillary in the general............... just saying.

cjhowe
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I' m still disputing the the fact that corporations are not true elements of a real free market. Each corporations is licensed and regulated by the state in which they reside in.

How else to you propose to:
1) Remove liability to encourage entrepreneurial risk
2) instil confidence in a transaction

devil21
09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Here's the response I received from the FCC:

"You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC.

Hello,

ALL inquiries/complaints from POLITICAL CANDIDATES should be forwarded to the FCC Media Bureau's Political Programming Branch. Advise CANDIDATES (or their representatives) to contact the Political Programming Branch, as follows:

E-mail: campaignlaw@fcc.gov

Telephone: 202-418-1440

Thank You"

So I guess these are the guys to write instead.

wgadget
09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
If it's any comfort at all, I heard someone on the radio last night talking about how this is illegal and will/should be countered with a lawsuit.

But, ya know, it was probably 3:00 in the morning, so I don't remember all the facts.

devil21
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
If anything its still somewhat of a gray area but since it's probably the most blatant example of testing the equal air time clause to date, the FCC should publicly clarify whether cable channels are exempt or not since cable/satellite is a mainstay in US homes now. I dont expect them to do much about it but they should at least step up and make a ruling or opinion instead of ignoring it.

Madison
09-04-2007, 01:51 PM

That's true as of now, but in a true libertarian society wouldn't any business be free to operate without needing any licenses from the state government? Wouldn't their only obligation be to follow the laws everyone else is following?

Madison
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
We can say "Yeah stupid, see what happens when you act like a sheep and vote for a guy just because you see him on TV?

I like to think that the success Ron Paul's campaign has had so far is proof that the American people are smart enough to see a good candidate when one appears.

Then I see how much support Fred Thompson has, and if the primaries were held today, Fred Thompson would get the nomination. It just awakens me to the sad reality that there are way too many mentally deficient people who are allowed to vote in this country, when the primary reason they support a presidential candidate is because they've seen him on TV several times, while his actual qualifications are just shit.

Right from the get-go I didn't think the Neocons and their MSM slaves would be able to shove McCain/Ghouliani/Rombot down our throats, but their backup Fred Thompson seems to be in prime position to get the nomination, solely because of his acting career.

Them neocon conservatives love to bash actors/actresses who get involved in politics, but if one of them is on their side, they line up at altar to bow down to him.