PDA

View Full Version : Take a Breath

Rangeley
08-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I posted this in another topic, but it sort of got lost and I think deserves restating.

All of this alarmism about people liking Palin is pretty silly, frankly. Ron Paul himself said he likes (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=152463) Sarah Palin as a pick and hopes that she pushes McCain towards supporting a less invasive, smaller government. He also said that he doesn't think that people should be voting for the lesser of two evils, and instead should vote Barr or Baldwin.

He isn't going ballistic, because he realizes what some of you don't seem to want to recognize - it isn't about this election anymore. We lost, and he knows third parties don't stand a chance. It doesn't stop him from voting for one, but it does stop him from, I dunno, taking energy and putting it into running as one again. He recognizes that victory will be achieved by us getting involved in the political process, if we have not already, and staying involved - working our way up and having an impact. We will be in a better position later by doing this.

I would be proud to work with someone who votes Barr or Baldwin, writes in Ron Paul, or even votes Obama or McCain, who has the same goals we do, and hopefully is voting the way they are out of a desire to maximize freedom. I am not going to act all high and mighty because they made a different choice then me on what to do after our top choice for candidate dropped out and no longer became an option. We all were left to grapple with what to do. I can respect people to differ from me on this, and I can only ask that others would too.

We have all been through a lot together, and will be together for a whole lot more. Lets not eat each other alive.

Menthol Patch
08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
If Ron Paul likes Palin then he is no longer worth supporting.

nayjevin
08-30-2008, 06:51 PM
He recognizes that victory will be achieved by us getting involved in the political process,

I think you make a good point -- but much of this 'alarmism' you don't like is people getting involved in the political process by exposing the illusion that Sarah Palin is liberty minded in some way.

Indy Vidual
Nice, thanks :)

nate895

You have just limited your vote to about three people.

nayjevin
08-30-2008, 06:52 PM

well, now, i'd say take a deep breath on that one...

nayjevin
08-30-2008, 06:54 PM
I would be proud to work with someone who votes Barr or Baldwin, writes in Ron Paul, or even votes Obama or McCain, who has the same goals we do, and hopefully is voting the way they are out of a desire to maximize freedom. I am not going to act all high and mighty because they made a different choice then me on what to do after our top choice for candidate dropped out and no longer became an option. We all were left to grapple with what to do. I can respect people to differ from me on this, and I can only ask that others would too.

This is a great point. It should not stop us from helping each other expose the facts about the potential choices, however.

Rangeley
08-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Very true, there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't think that the people who are attempting to ostracize allies are really doing any good.

forsmant
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Some are spreading lies. Posting policy beliefs and voting records is warranted.

Jeremy
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I've been breathing for 18 years and haven't stopped.

micahnelson
08-30-2008, 07:29 PM

I think you are insane. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. You've lost it.

Victory isn't won by making everyone think exactly like you. Its about finding common ground. We can find some common ground with Sarah Palin. You know what she was doing in the lead up to the Iraq war? Being mayor of a town with less than 10,000 people.

Is it reasonable to believe that she might not be as entwined in the post-9/11 imperialism as say--- everyone else in DC?

You keep on looking out for your perfect savior. More power to you. Just stop pissing in everyone's cheerios just because a) we might be a little excited that it isn't Lieberman or Romney and b) we don't feel like lynching an outside the beltway politician.

rockandrollsouls
08-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I posted this in another topic, but it sort of got lost and I think deserves restating.

All of this alarmism about people liking Palin is pretty silly, frankly. Ron Paul himself said he likes (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=152463) Sarah Palin as a pick and hopes that she pushes McCain towards supporting a less invasive, smaller government. He also said that he doesn't think that people should be voting for the lesser of two evils, and instead should vote Barr or Baldwin.

He isn't going ballistic, because he realizes what some of you don't seem to want to recognize - it isn't about this election anymore. We lost, and he knows third parties don't stand a chance. It doesn't stop him from voting for one, but it does stop him from, I dunno, taking energy and putting it into running as one again. He recognizes that victory will be achieved by us getting involved in the political process, if we have not already, and staying involved - working our way up and having an impact. We will be in a better position later by doing this.

We have all been through a lot together, and will be together for a whole lot more. Lets not eat each other alive.

No, that's not what he said. It sounded more like he thought she was a good strategic pick for McCain. He didn't say he would have supported her or that he supports her stance on issues. Get it straight.

aravoth
08-30-2008, 09:55 PM

lol, what the fuck man...

Rangeley
08-30-2008, 09:56 PM
No, that's not what he said. It sounded more like he thought she was a good strategic pick for McCain. He didn't say he would have supported her or that he supports her stance on issues. Get it straight.

I think you just misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say he supports her, but rather that he liked the pick. In the interview, as I said in the other topic, he said it was both a shrewd political move, and that Palin seems to him to be a good person who he hoped could push McCain in the right direction.

Despite this sentiment, he still said that people shouldn't get into the game of picking the lesser of two evils, and that we should vote for Barr or Baldwin. And I couldn't agree with him more - I could never vote for McCain in a hundred years, but I am a hopeful person, and hope Palin will be able to make an impact. I like her more then McCain - she reminds me of the well intentioned reformers I come across here in Maine that have gotten involved in politics and are fighting the same party establishment we are. They are genuine people, who, while I disagree with them on an array of issues, I would be glad to have in power over what we have now any day.

I interpreted Paul's sentiment in that way, and it seems reasonable enough to me.