PDA

View Full Version : How High will Gustav gas prices get?

Roxi
08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
just curious.... whats everyone's prediction on how high the gas prices will go because of gustav

forsmant
08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
3.95$

Roxi
08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
its already 3.55 here. (from 3.30).. i expect it will go up tomorrow morning as well

Jeremy
08-31-2008, 05:24 PM
10 bil

tod evans
08-31-2008, 05:38 PM
here`s a post from a fellow on another forum i participate in, no guess as to the dollar at the pump increase.

Hey y'all, Greetings from the Gulf of Mexico!

Yep, I'm still out here but we are all safe and sound. While all of the production platforms, bottom founded rigs and moored rigs were evacuated, most of the deepwater rigs like the one I'm on have to be continually manned. Some are shipshape designs while the one I'm supervising is a semi-submersible design. The commonality is that they ae DP vessels...dynamically positioned by means of azimuthing thrusters as opposed to being moored or resting on the sea floor. The water at our current drilling site is 6,830 feet deep so DP is the only method that makes practical and economic sense.

I got here wednesday and the crews were in the process of securing the well by pumping in place a couple of cement plugs as a secondary barrier to the environment. After pulling our drill pipe, we then closed the Blow-Out-Preventer (primary barrier) and disconnected the marine riser which is our conduit to the sea floor. By friday evening, we had the 20" I.D. riser recovered and got underway to run from the storm. We had already evacuated all of our non-essential personnel.

We are still cruising at around 4.0 kts in a Southwesterly direction...some 130 miles from our drill site which is just on the western edge of the projected Hurricane path. We will likely begin the transit back to our drill location tomorrow and hopefully start manning up to re-connect to the wellhead and resume operations.

For those of you familiar with coastal Louisiana, our marine shorebase is located at Port Fourchon, which looks like ground zero right now for eye landfall. If it gets severely damaged we will set up temporary marine operations in Galveston which is where all of our supply boats are now.

Our aviation base is in Houma and if it gets flooded/damaged, we will probably fly out of Lafayette as an alternate site. In any event, this storm has seriously disrupted our operations and has the potential for even more lasting headaches.

That's the story. Thanks to everyone for your concern.

Conza88
08-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Well... the higher the better.

And yes.... if you want me to go on explain the logic to you, fine. Just take my word for it, I couldn't be bothered at the moment. :)

Bruno
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
here`s a post from a fellow on another forum i participate in, no guess as to the dollar at the pump increase.

Hey y'all, Greetings from the Gulf of Mexico!

Yep, I'm still out here but we are all safe and sound. While all of the production platforms, bottom founded rigs and moored rigs were evacuated, most of the deepwater rigs like the one I'm on have to be continually manned. Some are shipshape designs while the one I'm supervising is a semi-submersible design. The commonality is that they ae DP vessels...dynamically positioned by means of azimuthing thrusters as opposed to being moored or resting on the sea floor. The water at our current drilling site is 6,830 feet deep so DP is the only method that makes practical and economic sense.

I got here wednesday and the crews were in the process of securing the well by pumping in place a couple of cement plugs as a secondary barrier to the environment. After pulling our drill pipe, we then closed the Blow-Out-Preventer (primary barrier) and disconnected the marine riser which is our conduit to the sea floor. By friday evening, we had the 20" I.D. riser recovered and got underway to run from the storm. We had already evacuated all of our non-essential personnel.

We are still cruising at around 4.0 kts in a Southwesterly direction...some 130 miles from our drill site which is just on the western edge of the projected Hurricane path. We will likely begin the transit back to our drill location tomorrow and hopefully start manning up to re-connect to the wellhead and resume operations.

For those of you familiar with coastal Louisiana, our marine shorebase is located at Port Fourchon, which looks like ground zero right now for eye landfall. If it gets severely damaged we will set up temporary marine operations in Galveston which is where all of our supply boats are now.

Our aviation base is in Houma and if it gets flooded/damaged, we will probably fly out of Lafayette as an alternate site. In any event, this storm has seriously disrupted our operations and has the potential for even more lasting headaches.

That's the story. Thanks to everyone for your concern.

Thanks for sharing that interesting perspective.

VoteForRonPaul
08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
You should added non of the above!
I personally think that it will get less. When the oil mafia need some money they keep it tight on the people. They keep it tight but not for the degree that causes a revolution. Once they get the profit they want, they start to calm the situation down. so after the gallon was for 2 and 2,5 bucks now it is up to 4 and if it gets down to 3.90 the consumer feel so good. WOW its down 10c. So it will keep going getting down 5 to 10 cents at a time while the consumer get happier and the producer get the extra profit.

Conza88
08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
If there were price controls imposed, to restrict a higher price - the fuel price is then going to be artificially lowered. Instead of it being high; and people only being able to fill up enough to get out of the area - and thus leaving more fuel for others to do the same, just get enough to make it out.... people fill up entirely. Shortages occur. People get stuck in the disaster area. More people die.

All thanks to price controls. :rolleyes: Good on ya legislators.

Alawn
08-31-2008, 08:53 PM
No change

satchelmcqueen
08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Well... the higher the better.

And yes.... if you want me to go on explain the logic to you, fine. Just take my word for it, I couldn't be bothered at the moment. :)

Im trying to understand that, but i am about to loose my job if business gets any worse in land surveying. Most land surveys come from regular people...IE... poor people/middle class. Gas prices are a VERY direct prediction as to what business opportunities will look like in just a few short weeks.

Explain, please. Dont tell me you are one of the "vultures" that thrive off of regular working folk suffer the most from greed and regulated corruption...IE the "ENRON Loophole" or anything similar????

And to add...the higher the better means that im closer to loosing my job and my wife and kids are closer to starvation. Seriously.

please explain

Please forgive me EVERYONE for being so simple and "hillbilly".... But I remember an episode of Little House On The Prairie that really made me into the kind of person I try to be today.

Basically one of the main characters lost his entire farm due to government and banking greed. So his land and ENTIRE lifestyle and means of making a living went up for auction at the lowest bid.

The main people in the township stood together and showed up for the auction.

They lowballed the auction and bankers and bid the highest of $1 to buy the farm and land for sale.

At the end of it all, the winner of the bank auction sold the entire farm, land, and livestock back to the original owner for $1.00.

The greedy bankers lost and the rightful owner didnt suffer due to government corruption.

Of course nowadays there are many "loopholes" that let greedy bastards take advantage of the lower people of society in a tragedy.

Please dont tell me you are one of those in this sit6uation......

Conza88
08-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Im trying to understand that, but i am about to loose my job if business gets any worse in land surveying. Most land surveys come from regular people...IE... poor people/middle class. Gas prices are a VERY direct prediction as to what business opportunities will look like in just a few short weeks.

Explain, please. Dont tell me you are one of the "vultures" that thrive off of regular working folk suffer the most from greed and regulated corruption...IE the "ENRON Loophole" or anything similar????

We're talking about Gustav's gas prices in the immediate environment.

If there were price controls imposed, to restrict a higher price - the fuel price is then going to be artificially lowered. Instead of it being high; and people only being able to fill up enough to get out of the area - and thus leaving more fuel for others to do the same, just get enough to make it out.... people fill up entirely. Shortages occur. People get stuck in the disaster area. More people die.

All thanks to price controls. :rolleyes: Good on ya legislators.

Explains my thought processes better. So putting it into context, that's what I was referring to when I said "higher is better". It's exactly what happened at Katrina. Walter Block goes on about it in one of his lectures / debates. :)

And to answer your question, no I'm no parasite / vulture. ;)

And to add...the higher the better means that im closer to loosing my job and my wife and kids are closer to starvation. Seriously.

please explain

That sucks. :( Government intervention caused your situation though. Remember that.

Please forgive me EVERYONE for being so simple and "hillbilly".... But I remember an episode of Little House On The Prairie that really made me into the kind of person I try to be today.

Basically one of the main characters lost his entire farm due to government and banking greed. So his land and ENTIRE lifestyle and means of making a living went up for auction at the lowest bid.

The main people in the township stood together and showed up for the auction.

They lowballed the auction and bankers and bid the highest of $1 to buy the farm and land for sale.

At the end of it all, the winner of the bank auction sold the entire farm, land, and livestock back to the original owner for $1.00.

The greedy bankers lost and the rightful owner didnt suffer due to government corruption.

Of course nowadays there are many "loopholes" that let greedy bastards take advantage of the lower people of society in a tragedy.

Please dont tell me you are one of those in this sit6uation......

I'm not actually in the US. Soo.. my actions aren't going to be causing you any harm. If anything, in a small way, hopefully the opposite. Kill the banks, the fed, the corruption, the immorality of theft and coercion. Hope things work out for you.