PDA

View Full Version : Policies and issues of Sarah Palin

Elwar
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, being Ron Paul supporters, I'm sure once you heard about Sarah Palin you imdiately started checking on her voting record to see her true character right? You didn't just listen to stories about how she was in a beauty pagent and kicked a few corrupt Republicans out and base your opinion on those....right???

So, here is the thread where we can post her stances and votes on various ISSUES...

I'll start from her wikipedia page:

"Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council...Palin followed through on her campaign promises to reduce her own salary, and to reduce property taxes by 60%"

"Governor Palin's tenure include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans."

"After federal funding for the Gravina Island Bridge project...was lost, Palin decided against filling the over $200 million gap with state money."

"Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."

"Palin has strongly promoted oil resource development in Alaska, but also helped pass a tax increase on oil company profits."

"Palin has announced plans to create a new sub-cabinet group of advisors, to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions within Alaska."

"Palin presented the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act (AGIA) as the new legal vehicle for building a natural gas pipeline from the state's North Slope."

"Palin announced that a Canadian company, TransCanada Corp., was the sole AGIA-compliant applicant."

"Palin signed a bill into law giving the state of Alaska authority to award TransCanada Pipelines a license to build and operate the $26-billion-dollar pipeline to ship natural gas from the North Slope to the Lower 48, through Canada."

"Palin proposed giving Alaskans $100-a-month energy debit cards."

"She also proposed providing grants to electrical utilities so that they would reduce customers' rates."

"She subsequently dropped the debit card proposal, and in its place she proposed to send Alaskans $1,200 directly and eliminate the gas tax."

"Palin objected to ... list polar bears as an endangered species."

"Palin supported the open debate of creationism alongside evolution in schools; however, she noted that "creationism doesn't have to be part of the curriculum" and that she would not use "religion as a litmus test, or anybody's personal opinion on evolution or creationism" as criteria for selection to the school board."

"She opposes same-sex marriage"

"Palin complied with an Alaskan state Supreme Court order and signed an implementation of same-sex benefits into law under protest, stating that legal options to avoid doing so had run out."

"She supported a non-binding referendum on whether there should be a constitutional amendment on the matter."

"Palin has stated that she supported the 1998 constitutional amendment (to ban gay marriage in Alaska)"

"Palin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska's attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation."

"Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased (on a state government credit account) by the Murkowski administration. The state placed the jet for sale on eBay three times. In August 2007, the jet was sold for $2.1 million."

"Shortly after becoming governor, Palin cancelled a contract for the construction of an 11-mile (18-kilometer) gravel road outside Juneau to a mine."

"In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history."

"At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion."

"When on June 6, 2007, the Alaska Creamery Board recommended closing Matanuska Maid Dairy, an unprofitable state-owned business, Palin objected, citing concern for the impact on dairy farmers and the fact that the dairy had just received $600,000 in state money." (The Dairy eventually closed anyway)

Please list any other votes or stances in this thread...whether she's a woman, whether she's a basketball champ or whether she says one thing or another doesn't mean anything. Facts and actions are what we should be looking at.

Micah Dardar
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, it doesn't seem to surprise me that McCain has picked someone psychotic as himself. This woman supports the useless war enough to send her kid there. Can you say "sheeple"? Maybe she will wake up, but I don't think so.

Elwar
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM
"I am opposed to any expansion of gambling in Alaska. "

"If the legislature passed a death penalty law, I would sign it."

"I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth."

"I support flexibility in government regulations that allow competition in health care that is needed, and is proven to be good for the consumer, which will drive down health care costs and reduce the need for government subsidies."

"She has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young (Young was endorsed by Ron Paul)".

tonesforjonesbones
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Well..I kind of like her. She seems to be fairly fiscally responsible. She went up against the "good ole boy" system and won. I like that. She woudl have been a good running mate for Ron Paul. She cuts taxes. that's good. She's better than McCain. tones

skeet
08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
"Palin, a libertarian conservative, has approval ratings in the State of over 90%. Her record of tax cuts as Mayor of Wasila for 8 years, and more recently as Governor, has won her praise from libertarians across the country. Palin, before her election had warm relations with the States' Libertarian Party, even attending two LP meetings during her candidacy. In return, top Libertarian leaders backed her in the waning days of the election, including State LP Chair Jason Dowell, and Palin's LP opponent for the Governor spot, Billy Toien." from http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2007/08/sarah-palin-for-vp-on-giuliani-ticket.html

I like her - she was mentioned many times on this very board as a potential VP for Ron Paul. No she is not perfect, but I like her. The libertarians in Alaska like her as well.

TheTyke
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Are you kidding? She is supporting the war, the aggression toward Iran, sucking up to John McCain in speeches to the extent of being rather dishonest about him.

And this is a free thinker who challenges the establishment? I hope this tactic doesn't actually work on people.

Dorfsmith
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
She's better than McCain but she's no Mary Ruwart (I know some of you hate Mary but she's closer to Ron Paul than any other woman politician that I can think of).

freelance
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Are you kidding? She is supporting the war, the aggression toward Iran, sucking up to John McCain in speeches to the extent of being rather dishonest about him.

And this is a free thinker who challenges the establishment? I hope this tactic doesn't actually work on people.

Obama has. Why wouldn't this?

Kevin_Kennedy
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
She sounds like an interesting choice, especially for John McCain. I'll still be voting for Bob Barr, but she is an interesting choice.

Cali4RonPaul
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Very interesting choice, I like her as well.

MGreen
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, it doesn't seem to surprise me that McCain has picked someone psychotic as himself. This woman supports the useless war enough to send her kid there. Can you say "sheeple"? Maybe she will wake up, but I don't think so.

Whoa, you mean she forced her kid into the army?

Oh, you mean her son chose to fight in the war? In that case, do we have any proof she is pro-war, especially regarding Iran and other countries?

ShowMeLiberty
08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Whoa, you mean she forced her kid into the army?

Oh, you mean her son chose to fight in the war? In that case, do we have any proof she is pro-war, especially regarding Iran and other countries?

How dare she let her adult son make his own choice! What kind of mother is that!

Sandra
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Palin with McCain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUwvl2A32jY

UnReconstructed
08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
McCain has two sons in the war himself doesn't he? I know he has at least one that enlisted in the Marine Corp.

Sandra
08-29-2008, 06:55 PM
What exactly are they doing in Iraq? Are they heavily protected?

micahnelson
08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
She campaigned for some corrupt politicians in AK.

She worked to unseat and investigate them.

I think that means that she is willing to play a little dishonest politics to get the job done. Is that admirable? I couldn't say. If they win, I do hope she will use her mandate to continue a charge against corruption. The Republican party in AK thought she would be a nice figurehead, but they underestimated her determination to fight corruption- and she rightfully stabbed them in the back. May she do the same to McCain and the DC GOP. Could help in our goal of reforming the GOP.

Stoli
08-29-2008, 07:16 PM
"Palin signed a bill into law giving the state of Alaska authority to award TransCanada Pipelines a license to build and operate the $26-billion-dollar pipeline to ship natural gas from the North Slope to the Lower 48, through Canada."

She sits on the board of directors of TransCanada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransCanada_Corp. Link is not working

Roxi
08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
heres a few articles

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/08/palin-mccain-vp.html

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gWi6yTVfPyJeiTBsQ33SSUiobt8wD92I9NIO0

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/07/mccainpalin_ticket_hits_iceber.html

Roxi
08-29-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/29/183255/841

another (interesting)

nate895
08-29-2008, 07:58 PM

How do you know? She hasn't said anything on the matter. Unless you read minds, you have no way to know this. Her son could have gone on his own accord, and not all people who volunteer for the military are war supporters.

matthylland
08-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I like her too. I am glad she is on the ticket. At least McCain may have a good conservative voice in his ear.
perfect? Of course not.
But she has some great ideas that I think can start something good. If Ron Paul was too 'radical' of a change, then we need to start with people like Palin. and get the idea of conservatism flowing through american's minds.
But her being picked shows that they want to reach out to conservatives.

nate895
08-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I like her too. I am glad she is on the ticket. At least McCain may have a good conservative voice in his ear.
perfect? Of course not.
But she has some great ideas that I think can start something good. If Ron Paul was too 'radical' of a change, then we need to start with people like Palin. and get the idea of conservatism flowing through american's minds.
But her being picked shows that they want to reach out to conservatives.

From the body language, it looks like he might want for her to have his ear. You know, the man did leave his first wife.

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
You guys like her? Did you even do any research? Subsidies and grants to certain business, tax increases on oil corporations, more regulation in health care to "increase" competition, expanded cabinet positions for global warming etc etc.

Since when is any of that likable? Yea, she cut spending but that wasn't exactly hard to do. She's extending government where it shouldn't be, increasing it's size, and clearly interfering with the markets in the name of the free market. It's shameful. She has no clue what she's doing.

nate895
08-29-2008, 08:34 PM
You guys like her? Did you even do any research? Subsidies and grants to certain business, tax increases on oil corporations, more regulation in health care to "increase" competition, expanded cabinet positions for global warming etc etc.

Since when is any of that likable? Yea, she cut spending but that wasn't exactly hard to do. She's extending government where it shouldn't be, increasing it's size, and clearly interfering with the markets in the name of the free market. It's shameful. She has no clue what she's doing.

I remember back in the day when many RP supporters wanted her as no. 2 to RP. The Alaskans on the forums liked her, and I believe they are the best to judge, seeing as they live in Alaska.

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I remember back in the day when many RP supporters wanted her as no. 2 to RP. The Alaskans on the forums liked her, and I believe they are the best to judge, seeing as they live in Alaska.

Or you can judge when you actually see what she's done and proposed as a governor. Her record isn't exactly fiscally conservative. It's moderate at best.

If you guys like that kind of government intervention, I don't know what got you giddy about Ron's stance in the first place.

james1844
08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Honestly, I like Palin more than McCain.

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Palin won't be the one in the whitehouse. I like Chuck and Bob more than Palin. I think I'll vote for the best of 'em. :rolleyes:

DAFTEK
08-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Palin is by far the best choice in the White house then Obama or Bidden, i personally liked her ever since some RP supporters wore thinking of her as a VP for Paul :p

백조씨
08-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Well..I kind of like her. She seems to be fairly fiscally responsible. She went up against the "good ole boy" system and won. I like that. She woudl have been a good running mate for Ron Paul. She cuts taxes. that's good. She's better than McCain. tones

She isn't RON PAUL, but she is a hard hitting GOP member who doesn't take crap from anyone. She practices what she preaches. That is FANTASTIC. When was the last time a GOP member actually voted on her own principles??? I like Palin a lot, but not enough to support her and McInsane.

I think for McCain this is AWESOME!! He only had two better alternatives. Ron Paul or Ron Paul in female form. This is a fantastic pick to try to take his BASE back....I STILL WON'T support McCain, but if I was a sheeple, I might like what I'm seeing.

I don't like her foreign policy views. But this woman MIGHT just listen to Ron Paul out of respect and learn something. I would hope.

백조씨
08-29-2008, 09:29 PM

As wonderful as she is, you hit the nail on the head. Again, McCain should have choosen Ron Paul as his VP, but sense he didn't, this is pretty nice.

백조씨
08-29-2008, 09:31 PM

AMEN!! BUT she isn't Ron Paul and she isn't in line with OUR message. She is just a woman who actually does cut government spending sometimes and we like that.

I still am NOT supporting McCain. But I'll say again this was a GREAT pick for him.

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
AMEN!! BUT she isn't Ron Paul and she isn't in line with OUR message. She is just a woman who actually does cut government spending sometimes and we like that.

I still am NOT supporting McCain. But I'll say again this was a GREAT pick for him.

She cut spending from someone who spent like a madman....and that makes her bareable? Come on. Look at her real resume. She subsidizes certain companies, taxes others, interferes with the market, etc etc. That doesn't make her wonderful. It doesn't even make her well enough to stomach. I gotta say, those of you that think she is even close to being a fiscal conservative are WRONG.

Andrew Ryan
08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Why couldn't McCain just have picked Lieberman :(

JosephTheLibertarian
08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
"Palin, a libertarian conservative, has approval ratings in the State of over 90%. Her record of tax cuts as Mayor of Wasila for 8 years, and more recently as Governor, has won her praise from libertarians across the country. Palin, before her election had warm relations with the States' Libertarian Party, even attending two LP meetings during her candidacy. In return, top Libertarian leaders backed her in the waning days of the election, including State LP Chair Jason Dowell, and Palin's LP opponent for the Governor spot, Billy Toien." from http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2007/08/sarah-palin-for-vp-on-giuliani-ticket.html

I like her - she was mentioned many times on this very board as a potential VP for Ron Paul. No she is not perfect, but I like her. The libertarians in Alaska like her as well.

but what kind of libertarian opposes gay marriage?

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
but what kind of libertarian opposes gay marriage?

She's a total joke I don't know why people are having a circle jerk for her. All she did was cut spending from a money burning lunatic and the rest of her resume is mediocre at best.

MGreen
08-29-2008, 10:51 PM
She cut spending from someone who spent like a madman....and that makes her bareable?
I thought that, when it comes to the budget, that's exactly what we're looking for right now.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I thought that, when it comes to the budget, that's exactly what we're looking for right now.

And that's not what we're getting. Remember, she's only the vp nominee, that doesn't mean shit as far as policy is concerned. You're still voting for McCain.

thx1149
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't get why people are comparing her to Paul, or to any other libertarian for that matter. She is not a libertarian. She has not voted along the libertarian line. She does not follow libertarian principles.

In areas of civil liberties she believes the government has a right to enforce moral judgements in "crimes" without victims, perhaps even in opposition to the constitution. Look at her drug policy, her policies on abortion, her policies on same sex marriage. Those are not libertarian stances. They also are not federalist stances.

In areas of big government and free markets she's not following libertarian principles either. She believes it's alright to spend government money without pure necessity. Look at the list of things in her history. She also seems to not be against regulations that encourage tilted markets and discourage competition.

Don't forget her support of the war. Her foreign policy isn't clear, but from her speech today it sounds like she was all for invading iraq and continuing to stay there.

At the same time this is someone now on a major ticket that is not a member of the elite. She doesn't come from excessive wealth and power, and she isn't overly connected to those people. She has even fought against them, and won, and that is a very respectable thing.

Even if you do like her I don't see how you can justify voting for McCain, who has no connection and nothing in common with libertarian principles. Remember, VPs don't have any real powers. Sure, they can break ties in the senate, but I challenge you to go check how many times that has happened in the last 25 years. Otherwise all their powers are from being included in the administration at the discretion of the president. If McCain decides he doesn't like her he can keep her out of the loop. She can be completely unconnected to everything. Liking the vice president should never be a reason for voting for a president. Especially in this position where you can hardly argue that choosing her wasn't a calculated strategic move to help McCain win the election. Ask yourselves this: If she wasn't female and had the same exact experience and history would there have been even the slightest chance McCain would have chosen her for VP?

rockandrollsouls
08-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Yes, but there's more than just cutting spending. She may have cut spending, but she could have cut it more. The person preceding her wasn't exactly a saint. If you look at the other things she's done and proposed it's not exactly fiscally conservative.