PDA

View Full Version : How should one handle campaign debt?

Ronnie1776
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I just received this email from Dr. Murray Sabrin and I was curious what others thought about the best way a campaign should deal with campaign debt?:confused:

I hope you are enjoying your summer and preparing for Dr. Ron Paul’s great trek to Minnesota next week. Florence and I celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary over the summer and we had a lot of time to reflect on our Legalize Freedom campaign for the United States Senate. While we didn’t have enough resources (money and manpower) to win the race, we had the right ideas and the right message of liberty and freedom.

In an effort to keep the campaign going, we took money from our life’s savings to get the message directly to the voters. We were hoping you might dig in one last time and make a very generous donation to help us pay off some of our still-existing campaign debt and pay back some of the monies we loaned to the campaign.

If you can make a $50 donation and forward this message to 5 friends, make a $100 donation and forward this message to 10 friends, or make a $500 donation and forward this message to 50 friends we would be greatly appreciative and we can wrap up the financial end of this campaign and begin the next battle for our freedom movement. Please make your generous donation through my website www.MurraySabrin.com today.

In liberty,
Murray

kombayn
08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
^Screw that, I think you guys were more then generous for his campaign. It's not your fault that he mismanaged his campaign, it's his.

UtahApocalypse
08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey all I bought a car I could not afford could you all please chip-in some money to help me pay it off??

MRoCkEd
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/printing_money.jpg

Mahkato
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
If you can make a $50 donation and forward this message to 5 friends, make a $100 donation and forward this message to 10 friends, or make a $500 donation and forward this message to 50 friends we would be greatly appreciative

Or, I could donate $1,000,000 and forward this message to 100,000 of my friends!

Ronnie1776
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Or, I could donate $1,000,000 and forward this message to 100,000 of my friends!

I would imagine, if you donated $1,000,000 he would let you slide on forwarding it to your friends!:)

(how about you throw some of that cash my way?):D

newyearsrevolution08
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
+1

He needs to get a donation drive going with Hillary and pretend to be fiscally responsible together.

Hey all I bought a car I could not afford could you all please chip-in some money to help me pay it off??

BarryDonegan
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM
not getting in it.

Ronnie1776
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
not getting in it.

Shouldn't the freedom movement dig in to help Dr. Sabrin out for his efforts?

dsentell
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
He pulled some pretty stupid things such as having an hour long money bomb and then taking the money raised and betting it on a horse race (his horse lost by the way). He let it be known that he was going to do this so contributors were not deceived. BUT that was just stupid -- bet he wishes he had that money back now.

No, had he not been so frivilous with the thousands donated and had he been fiscally conservative, he would not be in this shape. I think he should have taken some lessons from the good Dr. Paul.

constituent
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
In an effort to keep the campaign going, we took money from our life’s savings to get the message directly to the voters.

hey hey hey, chin up. you actually have a life savings.

JosephTheLibertarian
08-29-2008, 04:00 PM
You avoid it by not taking out bank loans.

UtahApocalypse
08-29-2008, 05:48 PM
hey hey hey, chin up. you actually have a life savings.

+1 mine is A quarter, dime, 2 pennies, some lint, and a stick of gum.

nobody's_hero
08-29-2008, 06:10 PM
+1 mine is A quarter, dime, 2 pennies, some lint, and a stick of gum.

Obama called, by the way. He wants your stick of gum and your lint, also.

SLSteven
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
He pulled some pretty stupid things such as having an hour long money bomb and then taking the money raised and betting it on a horse race (his horse lost by the way). He let it be known that he was going to do this so contributors were not deceived. BUT that was just stupid -- bet he wishes he had that money back now.

If only his horse had won...

constituent
08-29-2008, 07:23 PM
If only his horse had won...

my life story.

Rhys
08-29-2008, 07:41 PM
lol he wants the money to be donated to pay back some of the loans HE made HIS campaign? Isn't that like Romney asking for a refund?

Ronnie1776
08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
lol he wants the money to be donated to pay back some of the loans HE made HIS campaign? Isn't that like Romney asking for a refund?

...after all, we need to keep people like Dr. Sabrin involved in the Freedom Movement!:)

Agent CSL
08-31-2008, 12:29 PM

No, had he not been so frivilous with the thousands donated and had he been fiscally conservative, he would not be in this shape. I think he should have taken some lessons from the good Dr. Paul.

I've missed a lot. :eek:

evilfunnystuff
08-31-2008, 02:00 PM
screw that i really liked murray and the controversial horse race moneybomb but he should not have "BORROWED" money for the campaign unless he was willing to be resposible for it

i struggled to donate to him and didnt agree to take any part in debt incurred by the campaign

he borrowed the money ... thereby he owes the money

pacelli
08-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Shouldn't the freedom movement dig in to help Dr. Sabrin out for his efforts?

Already did that. Can't afford anything now.

jbuttell
08-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I received that email (being one that donated during his campaign) and it sorta rubbed me the wrong way too. It was the first time I even heard he was in debt... He said that he lost because he didn't have enough money, at what point did he realize he didn't have enough money - isn't that when he should have stopped borrowing and throw in the towel? I hate to question someone that I can only assume sacrificed a lot of time and money for this cause, but I just really didn't appreciate this unexpected request to reduce the debt. I of course don't want to see him in that position, but I just can't justify sending more money right now.