PDA

View Full Version : How much have you donated to the campaign?

njandrewg
09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm trying to see how close to the limit ppl on this forum are.

Note...this is donations to the official campaign(not stuff like signs, ads etc)

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 06:33 PM
//

Cowlesy
09-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Can you make contributions toward the general election at this point?

Karsten
09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't like this poll. 0 should be a category on it's own. Lumping people who haven't contributed with people who have contributed 199 dollars doesn't give the best results.

njandrewg
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't like this poll. 0 should be a category on it's own. Lumping people who haven't contributed with people who have contributed 199 dollars doesn't give the best results.
well the goal for this poll is not to see who donated what, but do see how tapped the people are in their donations, and from the looks of it most of Ron Paul supporters can be tapped again for more funds

mtmedlin
09-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I have only donated $200 to the campaign but I have $1600 to the grassroots. This poll will only tell part of the story.

njandrewg
09-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I have only donated $200 to the campaign but I have $1600 to the grassroots. This poll will only tell part of the story.

I know most people donated a lot more to grassroots...this is mainly to verify that Ron Paul does raise good cash w/o maxing out donations

bbachtung
09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Can you make contributions toward the general election at this point?

Yes. Quite a few Hillary / Obama / Giuliani / Romney contributors did this already to help boost the Q2 numbers. The money can only be used if the candidate receiving it ends up in the general election.

Cowlesy
09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Yes. Quite a few Hillary / Obama / Giuliani / Romney contributors did this already to help boost the Q2 numbers. The money can only be used if the candidate receiving it ends up in the general election.

Ah okay. Well without any question Ron Paul is going to be in the general election one way or another, so technically an individual can contribute up to $4,600 at this time, and a couple can contribute $9,200.

Geronimo
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
IMHO, it's nobody's business how much any of us have contributed.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Just curious. Why are people donating so much to the grassroots and so little to the campaign? I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Akus
09-01-2007, 10:41 PM
IMHO, it's nobody's business how much any of us have contributed.

No one is asking anyone by name. Some of us are willing to disclose the amount we gave, those who feel it's none of our business are simply silent.

Sematary
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
well the goal for this poll is not to see who donated what, but do see how tapped the people are in their donations, and from the looks of it most of Ron Paul supporters can be tapped again for more funds

Problem is, even if you've only given say, $150, that might be all you CAN give.

McDermit
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Just curious. Why are people donating so much to the grassroots and so little to the campaign? I would have thought it would be the other way around.
I think in part it's the lack of visible activity from the campaign. When people donate, they want to see results. Everyone here knows that the campaign staff has grown, and the campaign put out some ads in Ames. RP's travelling a lot, yes. But what else? People want to hear his name on the radio, see him on tv in their local markets, etc.

With grassroots contributions, you SEE where your money goes. You're buying signs yourself and putting them up. You're paying for an ad in a paper. You're buying a radio ad. You're getting an info booth at a fair. You're seeing RP do well in straw polls. You're watching the youtube video of someone distributing the flyers that you helped pay for. You're seeing the money being put to good use with your owns eyes. You personally gauge the reactions as people learn of RP's message for the first time. There's a personal involvement. It's easier to part with your money when you're personally involved - especially for those who can't pull out all the stops with max donations.

If you have a limited budget, and have to choose between giving the money to HQ or using it yourself for your own campaign efforts, it's a tough choice. Many feel that they can do more good with $50 by buying spray paint and tyvek than if they gave it to the campaign. For many, if they gave more to the campaign, they'd have nothing left for activities in their home towns. It's a tough call.

Sematary
09-01-2007, 11:18 PM

I think the majority is STILL going to the campaign but, like McDermit says, we want results. When I asked for a few hundred dollars in donations for fliers for Ozzfest and then showed the video of what we did with that money, you could see it in action. We don't see that with the campaign.

mtmedlin
09-02-2007, 09:09 AM

I went this direction because here in lakeland when I joined the meetup there were only 30 people. I had hoped by investing locally we would get more people into the group and the end result would be more people willing to give to RP. Overall, my hope is to get more money in the long run. Were up to 61 members and the growth rate has just recently started to go up.

Cowlesy
09-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Each dollar spent whether it's through a contribution to the National Campaign, or to a grassroots support effort who can provide evidence of tangible results, is a dollar well spent in my view.

Just like how each single vote makes a difference, each $1.00 also makes a difference. People need to remember that when they chip in $10.00 for a venture, that it can and will inspire 20 or 30 other folks to do the same. Donations that inspire others to contribute yield the same or even better results than one single, large donation.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I still have $800 to go to the limit, but have poured so much into independent expenditures. Hoping to send in the $800 before the end of the quarter.

Quarter ends this month, so start budgeting now for how much you can contribute by the end of September.

rinkuhero
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Problem is, even if you've only given say, $150, that might be all you CAN give.

Exactly. I'm unemployed, but still managed to give $150.

mconder
09-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I've only donated $17.76 to the campaign. A lot more has been donated to me local Meetup, not to mention the hours spent organizing and manning events.