PDA

View Full Version : A Constitutionalist Response to Obama's Acceptance Speech

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Tell me if you agree:

The Constitution vs. Obama's Acceptance Speech (http://theconcom.blogspot.com/2008/08/constitution-vs-obamas-acceptance.html)

Crickett
08-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I think it is a great rant, that any one of us may have written. Too bad it falls on deaf ears. We, my friends, have a lot of work to do. Writing and talking to each other will not awaken these people. We have to go out and SHOW them, the folly of his ways.

Carole
08-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Tell me if you agree:

The Constitution vs. Obama's Acceptance Speech (http://theconcom.blogspot.com/2008/08/constitution-vs-obamas-acceptance.html)
When I get to the link it cuts me away to another useless page after three seconds. I cannot get the link to let me view it any longer than three seconds.

Any other way to get there?

Can you just post it here?

cien750hp
08-28-2008, 11:56 PM
The Constitution vs. Obama's Acceptance Speech
The Constitutionalist Commentator

As the flood lights fade, the pyrotechnic embers fizzle out, the torrent of confetti dwindles to cessation, and the throngs of weeping crowds screaming out hollow shibboleths dissipate, I'd like to call attention to something that seems to have been lost and forgotten in the explosive revelry of Senator Barack Obama's Democratic Presidential nomination acceptance speech. It's a succinct little document that doesn't get a lot of attention or cheers these days. It doesn't get grandiose monuments, or stadiums bursting with shrieking adulation. It just sits alone in a glass case, in quietness and stillness, its words standing resolute century after century. It's the oldest surviving document of its type in the world.

The document to which I refer is, of course, our Constitution.

Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama, in what the media is hailing as one of the most important speeches since Martin Luther King, Jr. uttered the words "I have a dream," didn't see fit to mention the word "Constitution" once in his entire speech.

Sen. Obama centered his message around the theme of "restoring and keeping America's promise"--about how to make America a better, more prosperous, and more respected country. Yet, in all the lofty and valiant goals and plans that he set forth for his future Presidency in his historic address, he never saw fit to hold up the Constitution as the answer to any of these daunting challenges. The Constitution--the oldest and sagest of all the nations of the world's founding documents--whose articulation of a mere fifteen words brought the very office of the Presidency into being, and whose power and authority no single person can override, has been left in the dark. Ignored. Forgotten.

It has been replaced with majestic vows to fix not just all the problems of the nation, but of the world. It has been replaced with an oath to initiate plans that will bring about the "change we need" from the top, down. It has been replaced with assurances that this time, the fixers and planners at the top will really know what they're doing. That this time, the fixers and planners will be better. They'll be smarter. They have the right panaceas. The problem is just that we have had the wrong fixers and planners at the top for the past eight years. Better ones are on the way!

So they say.

After excorciating the principles of our Founders--self ownership, self responsibility, self reliance, and the free market (an "old, discredited Republican philosophy," as Mr. Obama called it)--the Senator said something rather interesting. In a rare moment of lucidity tonight, Sen. Obama emerged from the sparkling cloud of glorification for the state and its power to solve the problems of the world with the stroke of a pen. Mr. Obama actually stated, quite responsibly, "Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems." Followed shortly thereafter by, "but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves."

Sen. Obama defined "that which we cannot do for ourselves" as such things as "protecting us from harm." Fair enough. But, I learned something new tonight from Obama. Apparently, "that which we cannot do for ourselves" also includes providing "every child a decent education." Keeping "our water clean and our toys safe." Investing "in new schools and new roads and new science and new technology."

Any person with minimal rational capabilities should be flabbergasted, if not saddened, by such a statement. For someone who's built his campaign on "Yes, we can" to suggest that "No, we can't" educate and take care of our children, take care of our natural resources, invest in our communities, our infrastructure, our culture, and our wealth of knowledge, or raise our own standard of living, without a monstrous leviathan of a federal government breathing down our necks, reaching into our wallets, and "fixing" and "planning" our lives so much better than we could do ourselves... is the height of hypocrisy and irrationality.

Sen. Obama rightly stated that "our government should work for us, not against us. It should help us, not hurt us." Yet, Sen. Obama can't see how the very anticonstitutional governmental policies practiced by Presidents over the past century and advocated by himself, are the very culprits to blame for so many of the problems we face today. Obama laments that Americans are out of work, working harder for less, losing homes, watching their houses' values plummet, unable to afford to drive, unable to pay credit card bills, and unable to pay college tuition. Yet, Obama can't see how the disasterous policies of the federal government are most prominently to blame for each and every one of these problems. "These challenges are not all of government's making," Obama wrongly asserted. Quite the opposite: it's the government's failure to respond, the Senator contends! Clearly!, he says, the government hasn't meddled enough! More meddling will fix the problem! More planning! More fixing!

If Sen. Obama would open his eyes--or at least the Constitution, and read what it has to say--he would see how the federal government's unconstitutional minimum wage laws have kept young people and the untrained out of the labor force; how the unconstitutionally-chartered Federal Reserve System's feckless inflationary monetary policy continually manipulates interest rates, causing massive malinvestment in all the wrong business ventures that results in the continuous, painful business failures and bankruptices that make up the dangerous boom-bust cycle, which throws so many hard-working Americans out of jobs; how the unconstitutional Federal Reserve's flooding of the banking system with easy credit also overinflated the housing market, and is now causing so much pain for all the innocent people who were fooled by the Fed's artificial wealth scheme and are now paying the heavy price for the decisions of the "planners"; how the federal government's unauthorized and inflationary fiat money system steals purchasing power from the poor and middle class, those for whom a dollar has the highest marginal utility and those for whom inflation hurts the most, and injects that purchasing power into the newly printed money that goes straight to whatever big special interests the government happens to favor at the time, whether "liberal" or "conservative"; how the federal governments' Democrats' insistence that its biggest sacred cow of all, the unconstitutional Social Security program, be maintained forever and ever, even as it sends us hurtling closer and closer toward outright national bankruptcy and economic collapse.

What Senator and Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama has forgotten in all the hype and celebration of this campaign season, is that the answers to all the grave challenges he mentions were given long ago by wise and experienced individuals, and that these answers were written down in the very document that he wants to be the premier preserver, protector, and defender of.

Barack Obama needs to remember that the job description of the Presidency is not the "leader of the free world." It is not to be the planner and fixer of our children's education, our health care plans, the environment, and distant foreign squabbles. It is to be, merely, the humble steward of our liberty--the preserver, protector, and defender against any vainglorious "planner" or "fixer" who would presume to steal our money, our dignity, and our freedom to do "that which we cannot do for ourselves." Unfortunately, Barack Obama has become that planner and fixer himself.

Barack Obama has so much work to be done. He has "so many children to educate," "so many cities to rebuild," "so many farms to save," "so many lives to mend," and "an economy to fix." And chances are he will be cheered and fainted over, all the way. But chances also are, that when all is said and done, and the legacy of President Barack Obama fades into the history books, Americans will still be bitter and frustrated. Chances are, just like the aftermaths of Presidents Lincoln, Hoover, Roosevelt, Carter, Truman, Reagan, Kennedy, Bush, and almost every President of the past century, whether "good" or "bad," the aftermath of the Obama presidency will still leave Americans feeling like Washington doesn't work. Like all its promises are empty. And unless we realize that the answers are right before us, in a little document that consistently remains unrivaled in its wisdom and efficacy, we will be duped into believing that next time, we can have better "planners," better "fixers."

The answers, of course, don't really lie primarily in a piece of paper called the Constitution. They lie in us. The American people. We know better than anyone how to use our own money, how to run our own lives, and how to make our own decisions. The Constitution is simply meant to allow us to do that in peace and safety, without interference from a meddling behemoth from above.

Barack Obama, if you really have as much hope and belief in the unmatched judgment, ingenuity, and power of the free American people, as you say you do, then LET US BE FREE.

Give us back our hard-earned money, the fruit of our labor. Give us back our family members that have been taken from us and sent off to do the bidding of the state and its war machine. Give us back our freedoms. Give us back our lives.

"Yes, we can" fix the problems we face in our time, Mr. Obama. But, sorry: No, you can't. Nor can the thieving, meddling, deceiving, bloated state. Only we can.

christagious
08-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I think it is a great rant, that any one of us may have written. Too bad it falls on deaf ears. We, my friends, have a lot of work to do. Writing and talking to each other will not awaken these people. We have to go out and SHOW them, the folly of his ways.

You're exactly right. I found myself mezmerized at points during the speech; I'm willing to admit that he knows how to give one hell of a speech, good for him bad for us.

Orgoonian
08-29-2008, 01:04 AM
You're exactly right. I found myself mezmerized at points during the speech; I'm willing to admit that he knows how to give one hell of a speech, good for him bad for us.

I agree.
He's almost as good a speaker as Alan Keyes imho

Edit.Nice piece op!

Ozwest
08-29-2008, 02:56 AM
clen750hp,

Nicely stated.

ToyBoat
08-29-2008, 03:29 AM
You're exactly right. I found myself mezmerized at points during the speech; I'm willing to admit that he knows how to give one hell of a speech, good for him bad for us.Only when he's using the teleprompter. He bumbled around with "uh" "uh" "uh", and numerous stuttering sentences that bored the crowd at the church forum he and McCain attended a few weeks ago.

It's amazing what a teleprompter can do to one's speech...

kathy88
08-29-2008, 05:19 AM
That was an excellent read. Thank you for posting.

Truth Warrior
08-29-2008, 05:44 AM
The Federal Constitution Is Dead (http://www.lewrockwell.com/gutzman/gutzman17.html)
Kevin Gutzman on who killed it.

cien750hp
08-29-2008, 06:19 AM
clen750hp,

Nicely stated.

that was just the copy of the article for Carole :confused: :)

Ozwest
08-29-2008, 06:22 AM
that was just the copy of the article for Carole :confused: :)

O.K. Good.