PDA

View Full Version : T.V. Ad Voiceover

skiingff
09-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Salutations everybody. I'm gonna personally see to it that we edit this ad to everybody's satisfaction:

http://www.spotrunner.com/Ads/Host/Play.aspx?cde=A1PK

Monday I will have the ad agency create a second voiceover for this ad, a voiceover that you guys think will best introduce Ron Paul to the American public and best Represent him -- NOT what you think would be "cool" to put in there. I'm gonna be honest -- I could give a crap less what you WANT to make the voiceover. I really don't care. I only care about what will best serve the interests of Ron Paul. Therefore, please think before you suggest a new voiceover or changes to the current voiceover. No conspiracy theories. No drastic measures. We're not discussing Paul's entire life story or full political philosophy, this is an INTRODUCTORY ad. Don't turn people off before they even know who he is. And please make sure it fits in 30 god darn seconds. No more than 90 words (95 is an absolute maximum). Also please think of a voiceover that has *SOMETHING* to do with the images of the college and school kids. We cannot change those images, so don't create a voiceover about the IRS when we're showing pictures of kids.

So WATCH the ad, then suggest a voiceover for it in this thread. Do NOT discuss changing this image and that image and doing this and that, I'm talking about the voiceover only. I do not have the authority to change the actual image content of the ad, that's why. I wish I could, but I can't, that's just the way it is because that's how the ad agency operates.

The website in the ad IS being changed to RonPaul2008.com. But in this thread please discuss voiceovers only. I really, really do appreciate your support. Let's please stay on focus so we can make this ad wonderful and best introduce and portray Ron Paul to the American public. Thank you.

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Nearly 50 years ago, our President urged us, "ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country."
Ron Paul has been standing up for America for those 50 years. As a military veteran, Ron Paul voted against the war in Iraq. He believes that the role of the military is to deal with real threats to America, and not to put our young servicemen and women at unnecessary risk.
For your nation, for your future -- Ron Paul, Republican for President.

My edit is ery slight, but it puts forward the point that Ron is NOT anti-military, he is a supporter of protecting America. He's just not a supporter of needless wars overseas that squander the lives of American soldiers.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Skiing, please don't get discouraged, we'll get this done in the next couple of days, I'm sure of it.

happyphilter
09-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Skiing, please don't get discouraged, we'll get this done in the next couple of days, I'm sure of it.

Exactly. You have done a wonderful job, and in all honesty I am satisfied with the ad. Tweeking might help but dont worry too much about it, it weill get taken care of =]

skiingff
09-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Congressman Ron Paul voted against the War in Iraq in 2002.
He wanted to focus on capturing Osama bin Laden instead.
To this day, Ron Paul wants to protect America's best asset,
its youth, by saying no to the draft, no to preemptive war,
and no to trillion dollar deficits.
Ronald Reagan said that "As a former Air Force officer,
[Ron Paul] knows well the needs of our armed forces, and always puts them first."
As Ronald Reagan said, "We need to keep [Ron Paul] fighting for our country!"

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
[Ron Paul] knows well the needs of our armed forces, and always puts them first."

DEAR GOD YES! SKIINGFF, THIS IS AWESOME! THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN MY SUGGESTION! DO IT! YES! YES! YES! YES!

happyphilter
09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
He wanted to focus on capturing Osama bin Laden instead(end with bin laden.
As Ronald Reagan said, "We need to keep [Ron Paul] fighting for our country!"(I dont think having half of the speech be ronald regan uotes would be good...)

Bolded what I think needed changed

Just my opinions

skiingff
09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
This message is being brought to you by ordinary Americans who support Ron Paul.
Ron Paul is a 10-term Congressman who has been voting No to unconstitutional government spending for over 20 years.
As a military veteran, medical doctor, and loving husband and father of 5 who has been married for over 50 years,
Ron Paul is a man of integrity. He was one of only 4 Republican congressman to endorse
Ronald Reagan for President and one of only 5 republican congressman who voted against the Iraq war.

skiingff
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Come on guys, don't you know how to write?

Come up with a 90-word voiceover!!!

wgadget
09-01-2007, 08:36 PM
YOU ARE GOOD, skiing!!!

We appreciate you and all you've done so far for the Cause.

:)

happyphilter
09-01-2007, 08:37 PM
oh god i would but ive been drinking... maybe i will anyway ;)

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Instead of quoting Reagan, how about ending with something like...

"Ron Paul is the Defender of the Constitution, and unlike other candidates, he has the record to prove it.

We, the supporters of Ron Paul, invite you to join us. Together we can change the course of our country and get America back on the right track."

(I'm thinking of opinion polling that shows how most people are unhappy with the direction of the country, they say it's on the wrong track, etc etc.)

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Instead of quoting Reagan, how about ending with something like...

"Ron Paul is the Defender of the Constitution, and unlike other candidates, he has the record to prove it.

We, the supporters of Ron Paul, invite you to join us. Together we can change the course of our country and get America back on the right track."

(I'm thinking of opinion polling that shows how most people are unhappy with the direction of the country, they say it's on the wrong track, etc etc.)

Quoting Reagan is a good thing. Remember it's the 'Republican base' we need to appeal to to win the primaries.

skiingff
09-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Congressman Ron Paul is the champion of the Constitution.
He voted against the Iraq war, against the Patriot act, against raising
congressional pay, and has never voted to raise taxes.
Ron Paul is the Defender of the Constitution, and unlike other candidates,
he has the record to prove it.
See it for yourself at RonPaul2008.com.
Ron Paul -- Hope for America.

-------------------------

Ten-term Congressman Ron Paul is not a party man.
The Republican party ran someone against Ron Paul on two different occasions.
Ron Paul prevailed both times.
Why didn't the GOP endorse Ron Paul?
He's for smaller government and less taxes and
he's against preemptive war, unconstitutional government spending and corporate welfare.
See for yourself at RonPaul2008.com

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Let me elaborate as to why I think this is AWESOME.

It is both anti-war and anti-draft, while dispelling the myth that Ron Paul is somehow 'weak on National Defense'. He is not. The Conservative's Conservative, Reagan, has said so. :D

mtmedlin
09-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I did a slight re-write. If you like it use it. If not.....I'll cry

In 2002, Congressman Ron Paul voted against the War in Iraq.
Instead, he wanted to focus on capturing Bin Laden.
To this day, Ron Paul wants to protect America's best assets, its youth,
by saying no to a draft, no to preemptive war,
no to trillion dollar deficits and bringing our troops home to defend our borders.
"We need to keep [Ron Paul] fighting for our country!"

Cunningham
09-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Thats not to bad at all really. I like that or something close to it much better then the original voice over.

skiingff
09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I did a slight re-write. If you like it use it. If not.....I'll cry

To this day, Ron Paul wants to protect America's best assets, its youth,
by saying no to a draft, no to preemptive war,
no to trillion dollar deficits and bringing our troops home to defend our borders.

It's good except you're saying we need to protect our youth by putting troops on our borders... I don't see the connection

EvoPro
09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
It's good except you're saying we need to protect our youth by putting troops on our borders... I don't see the connection

They aren't in as much danger at our border like they are in Iraq. I like mtmedlin's version. I like yours too skiingff.

It's important to say that he wants to bring the troops home.

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Also unprotected borders put the youth in America (and everybody) at risk.

But I still like the one Skiiff did with Reagan's qutoe best.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM
What are the big issues with people today?

They don't like the war and they don't like illegal immigration. They think the country is heading in the wrong direction.

Shouldn't those things be what the ad hits?

McDermit
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I do like this version much better than the current voiceover. But with all else being said, you might not need a statement about bringing the troops home. And throwing in the borders part is unnecessary and just sounds wrong in that sentence. skiingff is right on that part.

To this day, Ron Paul wants to protect America's best assets,
its youth, by saying no to a draft, no to preemptive war,

McDermit
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
What are the big issues with people today?

They don't like the war and they don't like illegal immigration. They think the country is heading in the wrong direction.

Shouldn't those things be what the ad hits?
Immigration needs more than just 3 seconds though. Touch on that in a different ad.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Agreed, different ad for the immigration issue.

:)

Skiing, I could have sworn I saw something about how others will be able to get this same ad on in their own areas for around $1000. Is that correct?

mtmedlin
09-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree, I just know that immigration is a very highly rated issue and tried to get it into the script. Maybe we address that issue in a seperate commercial. The other changes I made were simply grammatical cosmetics.

ronpaulyourmom
09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Over 200 years ago, the founders of our great nation taught us, “the less we use our power, the greater it will be.”
Ron Paul has devoted a lifetime of service to protecting the greatness of America.

As a military veteran, He voted NO to the draft, NO to pre-emptive war, and NO to trillion dollar deficits.

Ron Paul believes the billions spent in Iraq would be better spent in the hands of ordinary Americans and their families.

For your nation, for your future – Ron Paul, Republican for President.

We need to stay focused on a singular issue. The draft, pre-emptive war, and deficits all fit into one big picture.

skiingff
09-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Skiing, I could have sworn I saw something about how others will be able to get this same ad on in their own areas for around $1000. Is that correct?

Absolutely. It will be available for anyone to use for free, and to use the PAC for free to make it legal. All people would need to do is purchase the actual airtime for it.

I'm gonna encourage people to run this spot across the country once we get it right. Just buy the airtime and you're good to go. For as little as $1000 (thats the minimum airtime buy allowable) or as much as you want.

McDermit
09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Over 200 years ago, the founders of our great nation taught us, “the less we use our power, the greater it will be.”
Ron Paul has devoted a lifetime of service to protecting the greatness of America.

As a military veteran, He voted NO to the draft, NO to pre-emptive war, and NO to trillion dollar deficits.

Ron Paul believes the billions spent in Iraq would be better spent in the hands of ordinary Americans and their families.

We need to stay focused on a singular issue. The draft, pre-emptive war, and deficits all fit into one big picture.

Thing is - we're working with a bit of a "cookie cutter" ad as far as the visuals are concerned. (No offense intended!) So we have to make the voice over relate to the respective visuals. This is why there's a focus on the youth - because the political ads that spotrunner was offering when skiingff signed on were composed mainly of images of young people.

You have soldiers saluting the flag. You have a flag with RP's photo (skiingff, have you tried a different photo there? in my opinion, the white background doesn't really look so hot. a front facing picture would probably look better.. maybe something like the one on RP's myspace page.) You have kids graduating college. You have kids in a library. You have kids in a classroom. Then the flag again.

We don't want an ad full of fluff, yet we somehow have to tie it all together. The line about "America's best assets, its youth" is imperative for that reason.

(should it be asset or assets? I'm no English major! lol.)

ronpaulyourmom
09-01-2007, 10:28 PM

When you talk about the war, big deficits, and money being better spent in the hands of ordinary Americans and their families, then you're basically talking about the youth of the nation. I personally don't feel that you need to drop the actual word "youth" into the voice-over for that reason.

The pictures do match up with my rendition. About the same time that you'd see the soldiers marching would be when the draft would be mentioned, and then like I said all the other topics are subconciously associated with youth. I do see your point though, it's not 100% perfect match to the images, maybe more like 85%. Close enough in my opinion though, since the visuals are more about building a background feeling in the viewer than anything else.

Mesogen
09-01-2007, 10:35 PM
For "youth" it would be asset. Like "our greatest asset, the land." or something.

For what it's worth (no ad experience here) The ad is good, but the voiceover seemed rushed and the ad as a whole seems too "slick."

I think the most effective ads are when the candidate speaks directly to the viewer and comes across as authentic.

But this is an ad made by and run by supporters, not the campaign, so with this one I think it might benefit from a less than professional sounding voiceover and either real supporters speaking to the viewer or less than stock looking footage.

OR, have the voiceover saying what you wrote, including the Reagan quotes, but over pictures of supporters, farmers, hunters, 'regular' people, etc, with Ron Paul signs or something.

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

McDermit
09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
For "youth" it would be asset. Like "our greatest asset, the land." or something.

For what it's worth (no ad experience here) The ad is good, but the voiceover seemed rushed and the ad as a whole seems too "slick."

I think the most effective ads are when the candidate speaks directly to the viewer and comes across as authentic.

But this is an ad made by and run by supporters, not the campaign, so with this one I think it might benefit from a less than professional sounding voiceover and either real supporters speaking to the viewer or less than stock looking footage.

OR, have the voiceover saying what you wrote, including the Reagan quotes, but over pictures of supporters, farmers, hunters, 'regular' people, etc, with Ron Paul signs or something.

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we can do any of that with this particular ad. The way Spotrunner is set up, you have to use their pre-selected stock images/video clips. Some ads have spaces for your own images, but this one doesn't seem to.

And they do the voiceovers. You can choose between male and female, I believe, but you can't just do it yourself.

mrchubbs
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Here's my attempt. I read it with the Ad playing and it seems to match up pretty well. With this one I was thinking that we should try to say RON PAUL as much as possible to get his name stuck in people's heads.

Also... I think it's important to appeal to the individual as well as voter apathy. I think it is a losing battle to try to change the GOP base with a TV Ad. I think we need to encourage the apathetic voter to register Republican and vote for RP.

With that in mind here is my attempt:

In the US, "Politician" has become a dirty word, but there is SOMEONE in DC trying to change that.

Congressman Ron Paul, a military veteran, voted against the Iraq war, but, FOR going after Osama Bin Laden.

Ron Paul defends America's youth by saying 'NO' to the draft, 'NO' to preemptive war, and 'NO' to trillion dollar deficits.

Ron Paul fights for the Constitution. Ron Paul fights for YOU.

Ron Paul, a Republican candidate for President who you can trust.

skiingff
09-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Here's my attempt. I read it with the Ad playing and it seems to match up pretty well. With this one I was thinking that we should try to say RON PAUL as much as possible to get his name stuck in people's heads.

Also... I think it's important to appeal to the individual as well as voter apathy. I think it is a losing battle to try to change the GOP base with a TV Ad. I think we need to encourage the apathetic voter to register Republican and vote for RP.

With that in mind here is my attempt:

In the US, "Politician" has become a dirty word, but there is SOMEONE in DC trying to change that.

Congressman Ron Paul, a military veteran, voted against the Iraq war, but, FOR going after Osama Bin Laden.

Ron Paul defends America's youth by saying 'NO' to the draft, 'NO' to preemptive war, and 'NO' to trillion dollar deficits.

Ron Paul fights for the Constitution. Ron Paul fights for YOU.

Ron Paul, a Republican candidate for President who you can trust.

I absolutely love it! I think we might have a winner.

The commercial would be pretty damn good with your voiceover.

Leslie Webb
09-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I'd rather have Ron Paul speaking than a voiceover. He was forceful and eloquent in the debates with lines like "My name is Ron Paul, and I am the champion of the Constitution" and "Just come home." What about something like these?

1. Overall message ad--
Show text. with voiceover- Who is Ron Paul? What does he stand for?
Show video clip- My name is Ron Paul, and I am the champion of the Constitution
Continue with Ron Paul saying something like: "I stand for small limited government and a peaceful foreign policy. For too many years the federal government has been spending beyond its means. I propose to radically cut government spending and taxes.
If our country is to survive, we must restore the Constitution's limits on the powers of the federal government. I hope you will join me in this challenge."
Text, voiceover- Ron Paul for President, 2008

2. Anti-war ad
Show text with voiceover- Who is Ron Paul? What does he stand for?
Show video clip from Iowa ABC debate-- girl from Grinnell College asks, "As
Continue with something like- "We just marched right in, we can just march right out. The war in Iraq has been a mistake. Not one of the 9/11 hijackers was from Iraq. No good can come from our staying.
I am against big government at home and abroad. Our aggressive foreign policy costs more than $1 trillion a year. I would return this money to the taxpayers and bring our troops home. Rather than police the world, we will be far more secure by following a policy of peace, nonintervention, and free trade."
Text, voiceover- Ron Paul for President, 2008

3. Other short Ron Paul sound-bite ads on key issues

The above are only suggestions; however, because Ron Paul has such strong convictions about his message, his integrity is there for all to see. People who have heard him speak have a very favorable impression of him. I would hope the ads we pay for would capture this quality and have Ron Paul speak directly to the viewers. People can tell the difference between a contrived talking head (Brownback, Romney, Biden, etc.) and someone such as Paul who believes in what he stands for.

MicroBalrog
09-02-2007, 12:04 AM

I think it is necessary to keep that Reagan quote in somefashion, because this will get accross that Ron isn't just a veteran, he is a friend of America's soldiers and is strong on national defense.

Further, the Draft is not a real political issue. The DoD doesn't want one, the Pnetagon doesn't want one. The only percson who proposed it was Charlie Rangel and he voted against his oen bill.

Further, there has never been a trillion-dollar-deficit in all of US history. The biggest one ever recorded was in 2004, whch was a 362-billion dollar deficit.

MicroBalrog
09-02-2007, 12:08 AM
To release an ad with such a factual error in it - namely, the statement that there are, or have ever been, trillion-dollar deficits in the budget - is harmful to Ron Paul in my opinnion, as, while he is NOT invovled with the ads, that's not what the voters will think, the ad will be associated with him. Please use your own original script, the one with the Reagan quote.

mrchubbs
09-02-2007, 12:50 AM
To release an ad with such a factual error in it - namely, the statement that there are, or have ever been, trillion-dollar deficits in the budget - is harmful to Ron Paul in my opinnion, as, while he is NOT invovled with the ads, that's not what the voters will think, the ad will be associated with him. Please use your own original script, the one with the Reagan quote.

Yes... I missed that. I was taking some of the wording from previous ideas.

That part should be changed from "trillion dollar deficits" to
"runaway deficits" or "runaway debt".

As far as using the Reagan quote... well... If the ad's goal is to appeal to the GOP base then leaving it in is appropriate.

If we are trying to "recruit" those disaffected or apathetic voters to support Ron Paul, then using the Reagan quote is not a good idea. (as was the point in my suggested voice-over).

nayjevin
09-02-2007, 12:55 AM
If we are trying to "recruit" those disaffected or apathetic voters to support Ron Paul, then using the Reagan quote is not a good idea. (as was the point in my suggested voice-over).

there is NO doubt in my mind that we are not trying to limit our appeal here. we should make an ad that doesn't have to ever be redone for a different audience.

go with the war issue and how we cant afford it, IMO. then maybe hit the I.R.S and support the troops the only logical way: bring them home

MicroBalrog
09-02-2007, 01:09 AM
We need to appeal to the GOP voters first and foremost. We cannot win the primaries withiout winning the GOP.

MsDoodahs
09-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Absolutely. It will be available for anyone to use for free, and to use the PAC for free to make it legal. All people would need to do is purchase the actual airtime for it.

I'm gonna encourage people to run this spot across the country once we get it right. Just buy the airtime and you're good to go. For as little as $1000 (thats the minimum airtime buy allowable) or as much as you want.

This is soooo great!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS SKIING!

MsDoodahs
09-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Yes, I like that one a lot, too, skiing!

mtmedlin
09-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Instead of trillion dollar deficits, use trillion dollar debt.

I also think saying his name that many times in a row is a bit much. Repetition is fine but if the ad sounds like some bad BOB DOLE sentence then we aren't effective.

Personally I like the other script we had going.

wgadget
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Okay...Here's what I did in church today....;)

In 1776, We, the People, fought against tyranny in order to form a nation founded on Liberty.

Today, We, the People, are joining together with one man--Congressman Ron Paul--to restore the liberty won by our forefathers. Ron Paul is uniting Americans in the fight against the tyranny of big government--giving back our freedom to protect our lives and our fortunes, and the freedom to pursue happiness.

Join us in the fight.

One great nation.
One good people.
One honest man.

Ron Paul 2008

(website address on screen)

83 words

Karrl
09-02-2007, 12:46 PM
IMO the strongest responses to the add should cast the framework for the ad. These are....

The idea for an ad is well supported and most believe it will help increase name recognition for Ron Paul.

A large majority believe the ad should be aired nationwide.

40% said they would financially support the ad.

There should be a grassroots mention at the end of the ad.

So......in other words, the ad should be done!

If the ad is to be targeted to a national audience....the content in the ad should appeal to the largest audience possible and not be cast narrowly.

If the ad is done well, at least 40% will contribute and possibly many more.

The grassroots mention could be done by RP in his approval of the ad?

Craig_R
09-02-2007, 02:58 PM
it was just fine to begin with.

ronpaulyourmom
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Okay...Here's what I did in church today....;)

In 1776, We, the People, fought against tyranny in order to form a nation founded on Liberty.

Today, We, the People, are joining together with one man--Congressman Ron Paul--to restore the liberty won by our forefathers. Ron Paul is uniting Americans in the fight against the tyranny of big government--giving back our freedom to protect our lives and our fortunes, and the freedom to pursue happiness.

Join us in the fight.

One great nation.
One good people.
One honest man.

Ron Paul 2008

(website address on screen)

83 words

I like this one too.