PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Preparedness?

heath.whiteaker
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Seems that items that we buy in Florida to get through these things are different from what people do in New Orleans.
On my list pretty high is drinking water, batteries, ice, canned food.

Well if your a New Orleans resident GUNS. Not water, batteries or the usual items. Seems like a great place to go visit. If I was some of them... i'd be like 50 cent.... wear a bulletproof vest.
We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

torchbearer
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Seems that items that we buy in Florida to get through these things are different from what people do in New Orleans.
On my list pretty high is drinking water, batteries, ice, canned food.

Well if your a New Orleans resident GUNS. Not water, batteries or the usual items. Seems like a great place to go visit. If I was some of them... i'd be like 50 cent.... wear a bulletproof vest.
We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”

Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

True. What good is buying water if you have no way to protect it from the mob who didn't bother to get water and will rob you of yours?

Stoli
08-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Well if that's what their buying, there just wasting money. Our government will just disarm them via the national guard or Blackwater. That's what happened during Katrina

Sandra
08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Well if that's what their buying, there just wasting money. Our government will just disarm them via the national guard or Blackwater. That's what happened during Katrina

I don't think Blackwater would dare to this time.